Type keyword(s) to search

The Grand Tour - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/17/2017 at 9:39 PM, surveyandprotect1 said:

Clarkson calls "JetBlue" to request that Hammond and May get downgraded from "business class". The problem is that JetBlue doesn't have classes at all. 

Even if they did, how can they change stuff from someone on a phone with no confirmation numbers? And he calls back later and gets the same person? 

On 12/18/2017 at 0:40 PM, Cherry Cola said:

I found it hilarious that James is Vagina in Jeremy's phone.

I kept laughing at that, too. And the pat down.

• Love 1
On 12/18/2017 at 2:40 PM, Cherry Cola said:

I found it hilarious that James is Vagina in Jeremy's phone. 

Note that he said that IRL it was something worse and he had to tame it down for the show.  You can just guess what it might have been, if "vagina" was the tamed down version!

• Love 1

Lots of laugh out loud moments. 

Hugh Bonneville' s eyes looked purple, with his purple jacket he wore. 

I think James looks nice with the  shorter hair, and was glad he won the race! I thought for sure I had seen them race a skateboarder before, but then I realised it was similar to a Secret life of Walter Mitty scene. 

Poor Hammond is never going to hear the end of it for crashing the car.  I know it is all in good fun, and he takes it well.  

Edited by Cherry Cola
It seemed strange to call Hammond Richard, so I fixed it!

Motoring Box:

Well, in next week’s episode Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May attempt to show what would happen if The Grand Tour made a completely unscripted film with no pre-arranged locations, no set-up stunts, and no planned incidents. All they agree is that the starting point will be in Croatia, where Jeremy arrives in an Audi TT RS, while Richard turns up with a not-at-all-comparable Ariel Nomad. And James, being the odd-ball that he is, brings along an old Lada which he has decided to turn into a fire engine. What follows is a demonstration of why some kind of script is generally a good thing.

Also in this show, Richard takes the new McLaren 720S to the Eboladrome – and hopefully keeps it on-track and shiny-side-up. Plus, Celebrity Face Off is back, with Michael Ball going head-to-head against Alfie Boe to find the world’s fastest classical singer with an interesting connection to the British motor industry.

The West End singer actors were entertaining beyond expectation. The overwritten "unscripted" segment - not so much. Viewers are okay with planning and narrative frameworks but not with unfunny storylines, which is when we complain about the scripts. I did like Jeremy's hippopotamus line and it was news to me that the TT is considered a flight attendant's car across the pond.

That poor McLaren, having water poured into it.

• Love 2

Glancing at the different laws by country, a lot of the speed limits in Western Europe seem comparable to those of densely populated areas of the States. The Autobahn does have sections where there are no speed limits but I think other German roads have strictly enforced maximums. Conan O'Brien tried driving as fast as he could on the Autobahn during his show's trip to Germany.

Cars like the Chiron aren't practical everyday cars - with the speed maybe the owners want to retain bragging rights and track day potential? I dunno.

Yup. One of those words that shows the UK and US are divided by a common language. An epithet that is affectionately used in one place and in another, is one of the most negative, worst words to use. In an unbleeped interview last week, John Oliver described a Londoner calling his toddler a charming ---- and how that won't fly if the little boy starts repeating it back home in New York.

Can someone explain how they filmed Jeremy in Turin driving at an excessive speed throughout the city encountering only green lights? Even if it was edited in segments I still don't see how he was able to drive that fast on what looked to be an open roadway system. None of the streets appeared to be shut down.

The show thanked the Torino police so we know they had authorities helping them with the roads. There's been speculation elsewhere that in addition to creative cuts that they may have used a professional driver and put cameras on police car bumpers.

On 12/29/2017 at 11:22 PM, Subrookie said:

This was obviously shot before Hammond's accident. Is it me, or did he look a lot younger or healthier in this episode? The first 3 episodes I thought he looked a lot older than he did the season before.

Such a traumatic event and spending time in hospital ages you. Some people do bounce back but the Croatia scenes were filmed pre accident.

• Love 2

I will say that is the only time I have seen Plitviče Lakes look ordinary. Its one of the most beautiful places on earth, like otherworldly beautiful, I know it was a brief scene but I was still shocked.

• Love 2

I don't think it is a common language thing. I suspect it is pussy and that would be offensive. Honestly, I find vagina offensive because it is essentially saying that James is a women's sex organ and that is an insult. They are who they are and that is not going to change. For the record, I find it annoying when people say things like "You do X like a Girl" because I know plenty of girls and women who are better athletes then men. Essentially, I find it offensive when terms associated with one gender are used as a derogatory because the implication is that the other gender is lesser. That being said, I expect it from them and I am not going to expect them to grow up and understand why that is offensive. If anyone says that about my son, I will correct the hell out of them and make damn sure that my son (I only have one and he is a boy) that there is nothing wrong/lesser about women. I have already been working on the idea that there are no girl and boy colors, he doesn't like pink because it is a girl color. Colors don't have genders and it is ok to not like pink for whatever reason but not because his female classmates love it so. I have not gone to the extreme of making him wear pink or use pink, it is ok if he doesn't like it, but I correct on the notion that the color is bad because it is a girl's color.

I have no clue why calling a little boy charming would be offensive in the US. I would take that to mean that the child was well behaved and pleasant and it would not be offensive.

Jeremy Clarkson decides to make one of those Ken Block-style car skidding videos that are very popular on the internet using an old Subaru and a suitable swathe of English farmland. His endeavours are swiftly dismantled by Richard Hammond and James May who are on hand in the studio tent to reveal some of the embarrassing behind-the-scenes footage. Also in this show, May makes a rare trip to the Eboladrome test track to try out the tiny Volkswagen Up! GTI while Richard Hammond is in Dubai rummaging in the toy box of machinery and coming out with an incredible high-speed tracked vehicle called the Ripsaw. Plus, Celebrity Face Off sets out to find the world’s fastest person with a failed early career in a band as Preacher star Dominic Cooper goes head-to-head against comedian Bill Bailey.

@PROFCRASH - I assumed Jeremy was using the C-word. It was definitely used to describe John Oliver's son.

I've seen a number of actors talk in interviews about how the epithet can be used affectionately to describe males across the pond, without the associated violence against women and negativity, etc.

Agreed on your gender points and I wish you luck in your efforts! We can be quickly entrenched by antiquated concepts at an early age. According to QI, by the way, pink long used to be the color for baby boys.  

Edited by halopub
fixed user mention
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, halopub said:

I've seen a number of actors talk in interviews about how the epithet can be used affectionately to describe males across the pond, without the associated violence against women and negativity, etc.

This is true. Men in the UK do use the term often to talk about other men, their mates, and also at objects. Yes they use it on women as well, but they also prefer other derogatory words. The C word does not have the same inflammatory depth in the UK as it does in North America. That isn't to say it is a nice term, but it does not get the same visceral reactions from audiences. 

Jeremy definitely meant the C word. "Pussy" is not as used as often in the UK in that context but that meaning has gotten more popularity in the UK with American TV in the last couple of decades.  

19 hours ago, halopub said:

@PROFCRASH - I assumed Jeremy was using the C-word. It was definitely used to describe John Oliver's son.

Agreed on your gender points and I wish you luck in your efforts! We can be quickly entrenched by antiquated concepts at an early age. According to QI, by the way, pink long used to be the color for baby boys.  

OK, so I missed the ---- part of the Charming thing with John Oliver. I would have beat down anyone who called me, never mind my child, a charming c***. I had no idea that c*** would be used in a friendly fashion but I am still surprised that there are folks in Europe who call cigarettes f*** and don't see it as problematic. Someone in Production should have suggested that he use slow or James instead of vagina. Heck, someone might have and Jeremy ignored it.

2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

there are folks in Europe who call cigarettes f*** and don't see it as problematic.

I don't know why that should be problematic.  Any more than saying that the blacksmith used a bastard file.  The word "f**" to mean a cigarette is a longstanding one.  It's meaning is usually quite clear.  There is no homophobic intent in it's use, the term is not homophobic in origin... 

There are many words that have multiple meanings.  If someone finds one usage of that word unsettling, should we cease using that word altogether?  If so, we have to stop calling certain domestic pets pussy cats!

• Love 1

On rewatch, I did like James May's hatchback review.

Showing those staged sheep was painful. I get the conceit of the whole segment but it went way too long and wasn't funny like it could have been.

• Unless he's also a skilled amateur actor, the Grand Tour director genuinely looked like he was going to pop a blood vessel.
  • While he does use drivers for stunts, we know Jeremy isn't that crappy a driver when he pays attention. Last year the show released that 360 video of him practicing the race through the Game of Thrones set, with the continual footage of his face to prove he was driving.
  • I didn't expect Dominic Cooper to be so quiet compared to "Angelina Jolie." 
  • The rouge neck, je suis un nerd kicker quips did make me chuckle.

Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May try to prove that old Jaguars are not only stylish and roguish, but also strong and reliable with a road trip across Colorado featuring a dirt track, a dangerous runway and a brave attempt to go skiing in cars. Plus Luke Evans and Kiefer Sutherland go head-to-head in Celebrity Brain Crash.

Promo:

So I definitely found the Stinger more interesting than the Chiron. Partly because the Stinger is attainable, partly because I just get bored of these supercars that all seem to offer the same experience of ridiculous speed in increasingly complicated environments.

But I've never been a fan of the 'James May races a couple of blokes who do weird sports' segment. I've also never really liked the 'novelty motorsports' segments, so the office car park racing was dull. And it did seem to me like they had professional drivers for any of the featured bits, because no one is going to be that reckless, for free, in their own car, around lots of other peoples cars. Well... No one sensible, at least.

Hugh Bonneville was funny but, as far as I can tell, the American guy isn't actually a celebrity.

I appreciated their attempt to point out how the shows need to be scripted, to avoid them being dull, bumbling disasters. But there has always been a difference between the scripting of 'we'll buy three old cars and turn up here for some challenges' and 'Richard's car accidentally blew up for no reason'.

But they did manage to combine three different, probably underwhelming ideas into one segment, which was good. James and his fire engine had its moments, particularly the other two mocking him for only being able to put out fires he started.

The repeated gag about the hot Croatian girl felt anachronistic. Something they might have done in the early seasons of Top Gear, rather than now. But she was charming enough, and I did appreciate the conceit of her loving Jeremy and not liking Richard.

Alfie Boe is always funny, when he's interviewed. So down to earth and no nonsense, and I loved his anecdotes about working for TVR. Michael Ball was alright as well, but there was something far more 'performer-y' about him.

• Love 2

The Dubai stuff was ridiculous. I wish they'd just ignore these one-off vehicles that people with more money than sense are having built. There's something truly obnoxious about that sort of decadence when abject poverty is hidden away, just below the surface. They could have made some valid points about that, if Hammond hadn't been too busy gushing over the tank.

I did enjoy Jeremy's section, because those videos just seem so silly, and over the top. Dissecting how they're made (or might be made) in real life was amusing, and actually a more pointed, caustic bit that is imagined. Editing is everything. I did laugh at the director getting more and more pissed off, and Jeremy just being infuriatingly casual about the whole thing.

The Up GTI was actually some decent consumer advice, for a car well within reach for the average driver. They should always try to do that, just to keep the show grounded.

I love Bill Bailey, and his stories were gold. Particularly the northern policeman who accidentally warned him not to wear a seatbelt. Can't wait until I go and see him live in March.

• Love 1

So this is just the sort of episode I like. Buy three old cars and drive about. The genuine love of cars always shines through, as does the exasperation about them going wrong. The bit at the beginning, when they critique one another's choices, is always great.

The various mechanical disasters never feel scripted, although the challenges are obviously designed to make them worse. Of course, replacing Hammond's car kind of ruined it.

I did laugh out loud when Richard tried to start his car after the off road lap, and the distinctly audible clang made Jeremy flinch.

I've heard of that airport, but never seen it. Don't think I'd fancy flying into or from it. The bit with James 'going over the cliff' was annoying. That is the sort of scripted thing that people complain about.

Also: "We're like the human centipede... No, I got that wrong."

I remember being put off Jags as a youngster, because my dad always said they drink petrol. I imagine that puts a lot of other people off too. They just have a more luxurious, impractical image than other cars, even BMWs and Mercs.

The celebrity bit was okay, but the fact that there's two of them usually means one or the other gets a bit overlooked by Jeremy. It seemed obvious here he was more interested in Luke Evans' car history than he was in Keifer Sutherland.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

The bit with James 'going over the cliff' was annoying. That is the sort of scripted thing that people complain about.

Like when he "jumped" his car onto a boat last season.  Not just stupid in it's own right, but of the three of them, May is the last person who would pull of this type of stunt!

• Love 1

I got to see the Stinger at an upscale mall the other week and I can confirm that the production car is as impressive as the model James tested. Sleek design and looked formidable without being over the top. Kia also made the smart decision to display a red one on upper floor, away from the Teslas and the other high end, white cars on display.

Folks who watch naturalist shows or US talk shows will be familiar with Casey, though he probably had better name recognition five or ten years ago.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I did laugh out loud when Richard tried to start his car after the off road lap, and the distinctly audible clang made Jeremy flinch.

---

The celebrity bit was okay, but the fact that there's two of them usually means one or the other gets a bit overlooked by Jeremy. It seemed obvious here he was more interested in Luke Evans' car history than he was in Keifer Sutherland.

I think something flew in his direction, right?

Agreed, maybe it's just the way the interview was edited down, but I don't think Jeremy's quite figured out the multi-guest interview. It doesn't help that he's previously spoken to Kiefer about his car history.

8 hours ago, halopub said:

I think something flew in his direction, right?

It looked like it. The spontaneous moments are always the best.  

8 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Like when he "jumped" his car onto a boat last season.  Not just stupid in it's own right, but of the three of them, May is the last person who would pull of this type of stunt!

Yep. In earlier episodes, the peril of failing a challenge was unpleasant, but not absurdly dangerous. Like having to break before ending up in a pool of muddy water, or trying to avoid breaking the basket of eggs suspended over their heads in the car. Now, it's just silly more often than not.

Does anyone know when they filmed the ski slope scene? There seemed a decent amount of snow and there were some people watching from the lodges so I wondered what closing down thw mountain would have cost.

On 1/14/2018 at 5:36 AM, biakbiak said:

Does anyone know when they filmed the ski slope scene? There seemed a decent amount of snow and there were some people watching from the lodges so I wondered what closing down thw mountain would have cost.

When they were driving through the town Jeremy said "Easter Sunday in Telluride" and then something about how it was deserted so they, being Jag drivers could steal stuff etc. so maybe because of the holiday it was already closed? I mean... that can't be true but maybe?

10 minutes ago, Lisin said:

When they were driving through the town Jeremy said "Easter Sunday in Telluride" and then something about how it was deserted so they, being Jag drivers could steal stuff etc. so maybe because of the holiday it was already closed? I mean... that can't be true but maybe?

Thanks I often dont listen to Jeremy! That makes sense because most of the parks there do close early to mid April.

• Love 1

Richard Hammond and James May relive the tedium of getting fuel by inventing a new system for filling up without stopping and Jeremy Clarkson recounts the epic battle between Audi and Lancia during the 1983 world rally championship. Plus, Hammond is at the Eboladrome to test the Lamborghini Huracan Performante and boxer Anthony Joshua goes up against WWE star Bill Goldberg in Celebrity Face Off.

Official promo:

I enjoyed the celebrities they picked this week for the track challenge and the mobile fueling segment was laugh out loud funny. The back and forth with the boyfriend of the woman who had never been in a car when someone did a handbrake turn was good stuff as well.

• Love 2

I liked it as well.  Particularly the entirely unscripted segment where Hammond was fortunate enough to find a Ferrari to test his Lambo against.  I nfelt a bit sorry for Handbrake Girl, but nowadays there are so many lads who don't even want to learn how to change a tire, far less haul up the Fun-Handle!  Alas!  I can't do that with my ride.  Not unless I want to put it on the roof!

Always envious of the Stars in a Fast Car Celebrity Face Off people who get to take the F-Type onto the gravel!

I know it's been a good show when Clarkson says "On that note..." and I'm all "Wha?!??  Surely it isn't over yet?"

• Love 2

I have never heard of Anthony Joshua but I found him delightful!

This episode didn't have all of the three together but still flowed much better than the week before.

Edited by biakbiak

As usual, I was bored by the supercar feature. A ridiculous car made even more ridiculous, for a more ridiculous price. It all just becomes a barrage of numbers and justifications for people with too much money to waste it on a car they'll probably struggle to ever put 10,000 miles on.

The Ferrari that James was driving was much prettier, but still in the same bracket of cars that simply don't interest me. I used to skip through the first ten minutes of any given Top Gear episode, because nine times out of ten they were track testing cars like this. But it is impressive to watch cars like that driven well, as the still unnamed test drive did.

I did enjoy Jeremy's detailed explanation of mating rituals. He missed his calling as a wildlife presenter. But I have to say, I have never done a handbrake turn. Can't imagine why I'd want to, to be honest.

It does annoy me when I have to wait for ages for the clot in front of me to fill up, pay and clear off. It annoys me even more when people hover just at the entrance to the petrol station, waiting to see which pump becomes free. Just pick one and get behind it, stop obstructing other people! But the mobile refuelling ideas were a waste of time. Especially with the increasingly predictable explosions. Not really funny, and too long.

Anthony Joshua and Bill Goldberg are two very large men. It's a shame they didn't figure out a way to have Hammond alongside them. Goldberg seems to have mellowed out a lot, over the years. The stories I heard about him from his wrestling days were that he was a very serious, dour sort of guy. He seemed a lot of fun. Joshua is always charming, with the requisite ego to be a boxing champion. 

Loved Goldberg's first car. It's not quite the Pontiac Firebird I dream of having (that's the 1969), but it was still lovely.

The best part of the show was the recap of the Audi vs Lancia rally battle. These segments on the history of certain cars or companies are always interesting, and the show does them really well. It highlights the genuine interest the boys have in cars, and the geeky side they all have. All three have done various documentaries that are worth watching, and I wish they'd bring more of that to this show, sometime. I have no interest whatsoever in rally racing, but I watched this avidly.

3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

As usual, I was bored by the supercar feature. A ridiculous car made even more ridiculous, for a more ridiculous price. It all just becomes a barrage of numbers and justifications for people with too much money to waste it on a car they'll probably struggle to ever put 10,000 miles on.

Your assessment of the SuperCar and it's owner is reasonably accurate, but the fact is, they do exist.  And you and I will never get to drive one of them, far less own one of them.  (Well, I won't anyway.  I shouldn't speak for you!)  So, I am interested to see exactly how outlandishly lavish the engineering is on some of them.  I enjoy that stuff.  I always - or for the last 45 years, anyway - wanted to build my own car, and I own several texts on race-car design.  So, I can appreciate a glimpse at such esoteric motoring hardware, just as I can enjoy a show on world championship wedding-cake icing.  Even though I will never get married and couldn't afford such an elaborate cake anyway.

I have never done a handbrake turn. Can't imagine why I'd want to, to be honest.

Well, for a start, they're a lot of fun!  Also, like the donut, in certain circumstances they are a useful maneuver.  Admittedly, not frequently, but...

The best part of the show was the recap of the Audi vs Lancia rally battle.

I agree.  All those details about the trickery used to homologate the car with only 200 examples instead of the required 400 were most amusing.  And in passing, the glimpses of the Stratos seen in some of the clips were just a little icing on that cake, seeing as I love the Stratos and believe it is simply fabulous.   

Goldberg showed more of his collection when he was on Jay Leno's show two years ago.

6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

But I have to say, I have never done a handbrake turn. Can't imagine why I'd want to, to be honest.

I think it'd be pretty kickass to be able to handbrake park.

An old, official clip from the first season of Top Gear:

An OK episode. I liked the Christmas gift parts but the rest of it was kind of normal and boring. I feel asleep during Jeremy's bit at the end. I find the super cars boring and unnecessary. I know that there are folks who love them but just seeing them driven by one of the guys is uninteresting to me. I don't mind them when they do one of their silly excursions and the like but the solo "Ohhh pretty car that can go fast" segments are not my cup of tea.

Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond visit some evocative old motorsport locations in Europe using a pair of re-born 1950s sports cars, painstakingly rebuilt by their manufacturers to the original designs.

With Clarkson in the Aston Martin DB4 GT lightweight and Hammond in the Jaguar XKSS, the pair start their adventure on the street circuit in Pau, France before their fun is interrupted by the arrival of James May in a modern Honda Civic Type R which he insists is better in every way.

Also in this show, Jeremy takes care of some unfinished business by track testing the Ford GT first seen on the road in episode 2, and Celebrity Face Off finds the world’s fastest drummer from a band beginning with the letter P as Stewart Copeland from The Police competes against Pink Floyd’s Nick Mason.

Promo:

• Love 1

Really enjoyed the fog part of the episode. Jeremy running into the folks that were either following the production crew or just got caught up in what they were doing. 

Hard to believe how hard the old cars were to shift. I've driven some old '50s era trucks and never ground the hell out of the gears. But, I thought the line about how cars today, 60 years later, are only 4 seconds faster was great. 

If I had to choose, I'd probably pick one of those old racing cars over a new rice rocket. And, what a car collection Sting's drummer has! 

• Love 1