Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Benediction

(edited)

So…..that was….a wild and stressful ride. Sometimes, I find the show slow and fragmented, but after a second viewing, I appreciate and comprehend more the way it all fits together. This episode, on the other hand, was one of those that had me on the edge of my seat, cursing the commercial breaks, but afterwards, upon reflection, going, “What the heck were they thinking?!”

Main case in point — the ambush at Rocky Point. That was the most ill-conceived plot on Caleb’s part. It boggles the mind — no way would he be that foolish. Then, again, it’ll give us Rogers with an eye patch. And Rogers goes from being Austin Roe, last episode, to Culper now — which may actually be a good thing, depending on how you view it. Also, not sure how Ben was going to make the reverend's death look like an accident.* But the preacher's son pocketing the cross was an intriguing detail. 

They’re moving the timeline along pretty quickly with Arnold, but I’m glad they are explaining the politics of it all pretty well. The Reeds were a nice touch — though, JR seems to have aged a good bit since the flashback with Rogers and Washington in season 2. (Maybe that aid was a different Joseph.)

The Seatauket supper set was twisted shades of Downton Abbey. Richard’s barky laugh at the impending Hewlett nuptials was super creepy and hilarious. Wondering what his angle is with not revealing Anna to Hewlett. Actually, feeling a bit sorry for Hewlett because, though Anna may care for him — and that’s more than many a colonial marriage had going for it -- he’s really just so deceived at all levels. Also, the Selah shoutout cleared nothing up, right? 

Gamble is such a smug, arrogant bastard…and a good shot. He MUST die a hellish death at Ben’s hands. (But would it be too much to ask that he be stripped of some very prime intelligence beforehand?)

Missed the coffee house/print shop. 

LOVED the ending song, as usual. Praise for the night lighting. And kudos to the actors...many of whom continue to amaze me with what they say with only their eyes and gestures.

eta: *Oh, right. Cowboy robbery.

Edited by Kabota
  • Love 2
(edited)

Seems like Peggy has eyes for Neddie, (was that his name)? He is obviously reluctant to marry Betsy, and Peggy is doing all she can to delay her sister's nuptials. Pretty clear they have a past.

Caleb, my love, that was not a well-thought out plan. Of course Simcoe is not going to stroll in alone through the front door. 

Ben smacking that horse while tied up and straddling it...nice.

Edited by Arkay
  • Love 1

Peggy is trying to delay Betsy's wedding to Neddie to delay her own to Benedict; remember, she can't have her wedding until after  Betsy is married (Betsy being the eldest daughter).

I'm glad that their giving Ben more to do than looking stoic while Washington deliberates on his next move.  Still, I have a hard time believing that Ben would murder someone (even a spy) in cold blood.  Though I suspect that

Spoiler

based on the preview for next week’s episode, they are setting up the rather tired story line of injured solider is found by single woman who nurses him back to health and they have a bit of romance.  Sigh - I wish the show wouldn't go that route - but at least Seth Numrich as something to do (it seems like he was shelved for most of season 2).

• Love 1

But falling off at full speed?  Not so nice.  Good try at escaping though.

When had we seen the guy (Gamble?) before?  I don't remember who he is.

I think Peggy is trying to delay her own wedding until Andre comes back or the war ends.  Whiny man-baby or sexy spy?  Benedict's tantrum gives her the opportunity to begin communicating with John again.  She's using sex to turn one man to please her true love.  (On the other hand we have Anna using sex to save one man at the displeasure of her true love.)

Spoiler

There's a lot less suspense in this show when you know what happens to all these people.  Obviously certain characters were not going to die.

• Love 1

So the main thing I got out of this episode was that Ben killed the spy/priest and then is caught by Gamble.  I don't recall seeing him before either, but then again, many of these people look alike to me.  I'm not sure what Gamble's plan for Ben was.  Ben thought he was going to be shot, instead, Gamble clunked him on the head and tied him to a horse.  Then Gamble fired a shot to get the horse to blindly run into the woods?  What was the point of that?  Was the run supposed to get Ben's head lopped off by a tree?

I did think the show did a nice job of showing that Peggy was the one to urge Benedict to go over to the British.

Still not clear on what is going on between Anna and Hewlett.  Although it was nice to get a mention of Selah.  I thought that she was still married.  But apparently they are still married but living apart.  Selah wants to marry again so he wants Anna to admit to adultery so he can divorce her?  And then she will marry Hewlett?  I'm quite certain that this didn't happen in history, so the show has already deviated from history by splitting Anna and Selah, but I guess it's all for teh dramas.

(edited)

Gamble is the spy who walked into camp in episode 2.5 in order to confuse, then confiscate intel from the rebels. He's the creep who slit Sackett's throat and got away with the papers which named Culper as an informant. His intent was to make contact with the reverend, but then he came across a bigger prize in Tallmadge, and his intent was to bring him back to Andre. Tallmadge punched the horse in the side as a last ditch effort to get away. Gamble fired the shot after the horse had spooked, and it appears that he hit his target.

And as far as the Selah stuff goes, who knows where it really stands? We see that Anna "forges" the letter that is supposed to be from him in order to further the idea that she and Hewlett need to leave. I guess she's doing this as an attempt to save both Abe and Hewlett but, of course, we know that Simcoe's headed back now, so, yeah, it really was all for nothing.

I didn't think it was overly ooc for Ben to shoot the reverend. We know that he's devoted to the cause and Washington from a very idealistic standpoint. We've seen him hesitate to kill young people and those who may have been coerced, but in the heat of battle and to protect the ring, he does what needs to be done. Washington had already agreed to the death, no trial necessary, so Ben was going to complete the mission. The fact that it was a man of the cloth, no doubt, made it both easier and harder for him. It's obvious he's not entirely comfortable with what he's done.

Also, if Ben doesn't kill Gamble before he gets to Andre, then all of this was for nothing, so, please, show -- for once -- let us not spin our wheels with pointless missions, and bring this to closure for Mr. Sackett. 

Edited by Kabota
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, Kabota said:

Gamble is the spy who walked into camp in episode 2.5 in order to confuse, then confiscate intel from the rebels. He's the creep who slit Sackett's throat and got away with the papers which named Culper as an informant. His intent was to make contact with the reverend, but then he came across a bigger prize in Tallmadge, and his intent was to bring him back to Andre. Tallmadge punched the horse in the side as a last ditch effort to get away. Gamble fired the shot after the horse had spooked, and it appears that he hit his target.

How was it that Ben was shot in the gut if he was laying across the horse stomach side down?

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, OakGoblinFly said:

How was it that Ben was shot in the gut if he was laying across the horse stomach side down?

I suppose he was really bouncing up and down on that horse ;)  Actually, I'll have to watch again. Perhaps he wasn't shot at all? There's blood on his hands, but that could be from struggling out of the wrist ropes. It looked as though he was clutching his side, but perhaps he was winded or maybe has cracked ribs, etc. The bullet to the gut definitely seems like a stretch time wise for healing. Then again, this show stretches.

On 5/10/2016 at 2:04 PM, Kabota said:

And Rogers goes from being Austin Roe, last episode, to Culper now — which may actually be a good thing, depending on how you view it.

I was dying at: "You're Culper!" Ha ha ha. Perfect. 

7 hours ago, Kabota said:

I didn't think it was overly ooc for Ben to shoot the reverend.

It was short-sighted. They could have used him to feed bad intel to the redcoats. Though, I suppose since they were doing dead drops, it doesn't really matter. 

I've been enjoying the season so far though. The whole double and triple dealing with Abe/Hewlett/Anna is cracking me up. Now Rogers is a crazy land pirate.

• Love 1

I was screaming at the tv.   "NNooo , watch out!  be careful!"   I agree Caleb had a sloppy plan.  Everyone inside?  House all lit up?  And I can't see Robert Roger's being caught so easily but loved the show anyway.  I do not want Hewlett to die.  Now what are they going to do since Simcoe (that damn cat) is still alive??  I agree with the above remark on the previews of next week and Tallmadge.  come on!  And Hewlett is messing up Anna's plan by wanting to 'show' the stupid Judge that he is going to marry Anna and he loves her.  I feel bad for him.

On May 13, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Hanahope said:

BTW, I miss the stories PTV used to do on this show, with the whole categories "shop the colonies" and "jersey's shat on before it becomes a state", etc.

And there WAS a Jersey mention this week!

On 5/11/2016 at 3:12 PM, Kabota said:

Also, if Ben doesn't kill Gamble before he gets to Andre, then all of this was for nothing, so, please, show -- for once -- let us not spin our wheels with pointless missions, and bring this to closure for Mr. Sackett. 

The real Nathaniel Sackett survived the war and lived for some time after. I hate that they killed him off on the show, especially since he was played by the excellent actor Stephen Root (Go Gators!)

• Love 1

What could make Robert Rogers more badass than he already is? Right, an eye patch! Unfortunately for him Simcoe is just as cunning but simultaneously bat crap crazy.

This episode seemed to be all about plans that went wrong. Caleb's ambush of Simcoe, Ben's elimination of the spy, and Anna's plan to get Hewlett out of Setauket. Still, the look on Judge Woodhull's face when he realized the engagement was real was priceless.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 5:33 AM, millennium said:

What is Anna thinking?    The man has no lips!

Noooo, he's totally adorably awkward. He luuuurrrrves her. And he likes velvet hats. What's not to like?