Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E20: Inner Beauty

• Start Topic

I prefer to think that 200 never happened in the first place. Awful, awful TERRIBLE episode that it was.

Exactly. Just wipe it from canon and all the crap that came with it. That's why I don't take any of its "canon" seriously. 

I wanted to forget it. Goodness knows I need to, but than they went and brought up again in "The Forever People" At least I can be thankful of the fact that they haven't revisited it this season.And at this late stage they probably won't. That is what I am hoping anyways.

• Love 2

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/02/biracial-twins-lucy-maria-aylmer_n_6787294.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2123050/Look-The-black-white-twins-turn-seven.html

There are many cases like this.

What is that saying? The difference between real life and fiction is that fiction has to make sense?

In both the cases no one is surprised that the darker twin is biracial. Rossi's grandson has 2 very very fair skinned bi racial parents. That was just poor casting. I am assuming the kid is related to someone that works on the show.

• Love 1

I just want to point out to everyone that in Season 3.... "The Crossing".... Hotch and Rossi have a discussion over Chinese food regarding their divorces and why and what happened... Rossi clearly states "I don't know Hotch? Maybe if I had kids it would have tried harder"... Hotch asks him "What do you mean I tried".. And Rossi says "What do I know only people I ever made happy were divorce lawyers"...

Rossi was NEVER given the chance to change... to be a good Dad.... He already lost James and Carolyn... Maybe if Hayden had told him Rossi would have been a great dad... Sadly, Hayden's selfish decision took that away from him forever. And It's pretty pathetic of JJ who doesn't really 'know Rossi" to even discuss the issue with him... That scene SHOULD have been Hotch... and a tag into their discussion in the Crossing....

I'm a woman.... and NO WOMAN should have the right to hide something like this from her LEGAL husband.... she was pregnant and MARRIED when he left... At some point over the 29 yrs she should have told him...

• Love 5

I just want to point out to everyone that in Season 3.... "The Crossing".... Hotch and Rossi have a discussion over Chinese food regarding their divorces and why and what happened... Rossi clearly states "I don't know Hotch? Maybe if I had kids it would have tried harder"... Hotch asks him "What do you mean I tried".. And Rossi says "What do I know only people I ever made happy were divorce lawyers"...

Rossi was NEVER given the chance to change... to be a good Dad.... He already lost James and Carolyn... Maybe if Hayden had told him Rossi would have been a great dad... Sadly, Hayden's selfish decision took that away from him forever. And It's pretty pathetic of JJ who doesn't really 'know Rossi" to even discuss the issue with him... That scene SHOULD have been Hotch... and a tag into their discussion in the Crossing....

I'm a woman.... and NO WOMAN should have the right to hide something like this from her LEGAL husband.... she was pregnant and MARRIED when he left... At some point over the 29 yrs she should have told him...

This so much. Rossi had a right to know he had a daughter out there even if the marriage with Hayden didn't work out. But he never got that chance and nearly lost 30 years with Joy. And yes, Rossi and Hayden were legally married; this was not some mindless drunken fling. She should have told him, and even though Rossi was a bit of a bon vivant and totally committed to his job, he might have totally stepped up to the plate and been a devoted father to Joy. But I guess we'll never know that.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 4

I completely agree that it was just abhorrent that Hayden kept the fact that Rossi had a daughter from him for so long. It's a terrible storyline and totally implausible; I don't care what Hayden's reasons were -- they aren't valid. To me it's totally unforgivable.

But that's make-believe. I don't agree that no woman should have the right to keep something from her legal husband, and I'm married, old-fashioned and conservative. Now, no wife should keep something big from her husband simply out of spite or to exact some kind of punishment on him, but there might be lots of reasons a married woman would want to keep a secret, stay hidden or hide a child from her "legal husband," and I have no right to judge it or say she shouldn't be allowed to, at least not without a whole lot more information, and I'm certainly not in a position to issue a blanket declaration about it.

• Love 6

As best I can tell, there is general agreement that Rossi was entitled to know that he had a child.  He was entitled to the right to either step up or fail, of his own accord.  But that's not the issue.  The question before the character is not 'what should have happened then', but 'what happens now'.

He has the choice to be cold and vindictive, which might satisfy some in this discussion, but it really would only hurt the character and make him continue to be miserable about it.  Or, he can deal with things as they are, try to understand and, whether actually achieving understanding or not, accept that it happened and move on.  To continue the bad feeling only hurts them, their daughter, and their grandson.  

It is, unfortunately, not an uncommon way for people to conduct their lives.  We probably all know someone who dwells on personal injustices and makes themselves (and everyone they carp to) miserable.  They never leave the loop, and have nothing to look forward to but endless indignation.  It's not something I would wish on anyone, including a character on my favorite show.

• Love 4

the only POSSIBLE 'keep it secret from him' scenario I would've bought would have been if they were not married, but having an affair (by that I mean, married to others and not each other) and she would think/hope/believe the baby was actually the cheated on husband's, which is not the case of course. And even then, I would've thought it was awful of her to do. 

Unless he's a rapist or abusive spouse, I just would not, can not, will not buy keeping a child's existence from his/her father. It's unforgiveable.

• Love 5

As best I can tell, there is general agreement that Rossi was entitled to know that he had a child.  He was entitled to the right to either step up or fail, of his own accord.  But that's not the issue.  The question before the character is not 'what should have happened then', but 'what happens now'.

He has the choice to be cold and vindictive, which might satisfy some in this discussion, but it really would only hurt the character and make him continue to be miserable about it.  Or, he can deal with things as they are, try to understand and, whether actually achieving understanding or not, accept that it happened and move on.  To continue the bad feeling only hurts them, their daughter, and their grandson.  

It is, unfortunately, not an uncommon way for people to conduct their lives.  We probably all know someone who dwells on personal injustices and makes themselves (and everyone they carp to) miserable.  They never leave the loop, and have nothing to look forward to but endless indignation.  It's not something I would wish on anyone, including a character on my favorite show.

I get what you're saying.. And I agree... Rossi not playing the petulant hurt father is a benefit to the character... WHAT I don't agree with is how he's just so willing to jump back into the 'all's happy and good' between them... It's one thing to move forward and not dwell on hurtful past... It's quite another to act like she was right and jump back into a relationship with both feet... I would have rather seen him admit that he can move forward for their daughter and grandson, but that it would take him some time to truly forgive her for what she stole from him.

• Love 4

I get what you're saying.. And I agree... Rossi not playing the petulant hurt father is a benefit to the character... WHAT I don't agree with is how he's just so willing to jump back into the 'all's happy and good' between them... It's one thing to move forward and not dwell on hurtful past... It's quite another to act like she was right and jump back into a relationship with both feet... I would have rather seen him admit that he can move forward for their daughter and grandson, but that it would take him some time to truly forgive her for what she stole from him.

Yes, I agree. It seems like it would be realistic, and in keeping with his character.  Honestly, I was so bored by the end of the episode that I don't remember much of their final conversation, but I had the sense that he still didn't quite understand what she'd done, but knew they had to move on.  But I didn't have the sense that she was willing to own any of the fault.  I'd have to go to the DVR to see if that was correct, but I really don't want to watch any of it again.

• Love 2

Can't blame you on that JMO.....

No Hayden hasn't owned up to what she did was wrong. She's just willing to let Rossi suck up and move forward...

Bottom line for me is that this writer... should NEVER have even gone to this direction. There is 'no reason' to bring Hayden Montgomery into the CM picture at all... Ok, Rossi's got his daughter now... Leave it at that and her family...

And for me... JJ's little scene with Rossi was a slap in the face.. "No what she did was wrong. But She could understand why because she knows Rossi?" Please...

• Love 3

I have a feeling we have JM to blame for the topic area, even if we have the writer to blame for the execution.

JJ didn't say she agreed or understood.  Her comments were based on what she knew of Rossi, and had nothing to do with Hayden.  I do think it would have been a better conversation for Rossi to have had with Hotch, and wish the writer had gone in that direction.  Mostly I wish the whole issue of Rossi's family hadn't been in the episode.  But, since it was, Hotch would have been my first choice as a sounding board.  

I thought JJ's perspective would have been more interesting if she'd brought up how her husband looks at the job she and Rossi share. But that would have been diluted by the fact that he has a similarly risky, demanding job.  

Or maybe they could have used Reid, who grew up with a single mother, having lived through abandonment. It might have spurred  Rossi to think about exactly what kind of parent he would have been, and whether he would really have been present to a child.  And, if not, what his neglect or absence might have done to said child.

Hmm.....I think I might feel a bout of FF coming on....

• Love 3

while normally I'd jump all over a 'they shoulda used Reid' nodding my head like crazy and fangirling Yes! , in this case, I really must agree with the thought that this conversation should've been with *Hotch* not JJ. 

Hotch is Rossi's closest friend on the team, has known him the longest. They've gone out together several times. Can't say that's EVER happened with JJ.

I wonder if this might have been a 'let's give AJ Cook back a bit of the screen time she lost in "The Sandman" because she was sick'. 

whatever. it was just an icky way for the story to go.

• Love 4

Or maybe they could have used Reid, who grew up with a single mother, having lived through abandonment. It might have spurred  Rossi to think about exactly what kind of parent he would have been, and whether he would really have been present to a child.  And, if not, what his neglect or absence might have done to said child.

Hmm.....I think I might feel a bout of FF coming on....

Yes, please.....

• Love 3

Actually, the reason I think the conversation should have been with Hotch isn't just because of their friendship.  It's because Hotch was that young father who wasn't as present to his wife and child as they needed him to be, because of the job.  He's the guy who famously forgot about 'the tests' that uncovered 'the condition' Jack had, whatever it was.  

On the other hand, because the job ended up costing Hotch his family, maybe it was a subject Rossi might not have wanted to bring up with him.  

• Love 4

I'm going to pile on, and say that Hotch was really the best person for Rossi to have had that conversation. I just don't think JJ knows enough about Rossi, and his background to make a good assessment, plus we have never seen those two being close friends. This type of conversation would have just been better and deeper between Hotch and Rossi. But that is only because this story unfortunately (for me) exists in the first place, because I have always given this storyline a huge side eye for the supposed timeline. 

I think we think about things way more than the writers do.

That's the real shame.

We certainly know more about the characters, their personalities and their backgrounds. They  just look sloppy and unprofessional by contradicting canon and all that crap.

• Love 4

I was so annoyed at how this whole thing with Hayden was handled. I wish Rossi had told her what a horrible selfish thing she did and not let her off the hook by her saying that he would have put the child second, she had NO way of knowing that and making the decision for him is unforgivable. There is no reason they need to be friends and it's just completely wrong that they are apparently going to become romantically involved again. He could have just said that he'll be civil to her when they see each other for him the daughter and grandson's sake which really would most likely be the odd family gathering and be done with her.

Regarding if it is acceptable in real life to do this, I think in this situation no way but sometimes there are mitigating factors such as a violent partner, rape victims, one night stands where it might not be safe to open yourself up to parenting a child with someone you don't know, etc.

• Love 4

I agree with everything you've said, but I find it puzzling that it seems Rossi may be getting back together with a woman who kept his child from him for so long. I think I could eventually reach forgiveness, but I wouldn't be able to forget that kind of deception.

• Love 3

There is no reason they need to be friends and it's just completely wrong that they are apparently going to become romantically involved again.

I completely agree. I have posted a much more detailed response in the David Rossi thread. However, I will give the writers credit for not portraying Hayden as “the love of [David’s] life” yet. I hope they surprise us and rip off the understanding that Gibbs and Diane Sterling reached in episode 9x07 of NCIS- instead of making them become romantically involved again.

• Love 2

keep a child from someone is wrong.

Rossi had the right to be a bad parent, because he would have been a bad parent. But it's the father anyway.

Hotch is a better parent because Haley is dead, it's a hard truth and very sad, because he is a very good father. It was a matter of the time he would have spent with Jack, not much between the job and they living apart.

Coming back to Rossi. I think he was right when he told Joy he couldn't talk for the Rossi from 30 years ago. It's a sincere and realistic statement.

I think his attitude was the best in a bad situation. Although, I wouldn't be friendly either.

In the ex-wife place, I would be angry with everybody for bringing to my life someone I dislike so deeply. if I make a life changing choice, right or wrong, it's my choice and I wouldn't be sorry or making aments.

Could they think for a second in the poor bastard who married a woman who didn't love him but wanted a father for her daughter? It's just me or they were talking like she raised Joy alone? someone should pay some respect to that unfortunate gentleman who is being erased by his own family.

Obviously Joy doesn't need Rossi's money, but I am disgusted for the exchange of surnames.

The chat should have been between Hotch and Rossi, and it should have been different as some of you had pointed out. But I am not sure it was only the writers' fault, was TG around to play that part? we'll never know.

Edited by smoker

Yes, please.....

Both Hotch and Reid would have been ideal co-workers for Rossi to have this conversation with. Hotch, like Rossi, knows all too well how the job can get in the way of a marriage, leading to divorce. And Reid knows exactly what it is like to lose out on having a parent through choice. William chose to bail out on being there for Spencer during his childhood and teen years, and years afterward. And Hayden made the choice to bail out of Rossi's life, never telling him of her pregnancy, and denying both Joy and Rossi of having a father/daughter relationship.

Excuse me while I throw stuff around....

• Love 4

I saw this tweet by Joe Mantegna today:-

Yes this was a special one http://rallywithripple.com/profiles/joe-mantegna/posts/3387… via @rallywithripple

Joe at least seems to rate the soap opera turn that the show has taken. Well each to their own but I feel I'm getting more and more out of synch with the show as they move further and further away from the original. I really don't want a profiling version of Grey's Anatomy!

• Love 4

JJ is a weird choice for that conversation, because she seems to always be at work...Will is a saint! Only slightly kidding.

I wonder, just how much is Joe Mategna getting paid to use that website? I've never heard of it until him...

• Love 4

I think they only reason they chose JJ is because she's the only female who has known Rossi more than a year and I think she is the only one they believed who could see things from Hayden's perspective. If it had been Hotch who had talked to Rossi, I don't think he would have excused Hayden's behavior. He would have found it just as wrong as he felt it was for Hayley to leave him-- even if he might have understood toward the end. What Hotch might have said was that maybe for the sake of the family, Rossi should try to forgive Hayden and move forward rather than staying angry at her over a decision that was made over 20 years before.

• Love 1

I saw this tweet by Joe Mantegna today:-

Yes this was a special one http://rallywithripple.com/profiles/joe-mantegna/posts/3387… via @rallywithripple

Joe at least seems to rate the soap opera turn that the show has taken. Well each to their own but I feel I'm getting more and more out of synch with the show as they move further and further away from the original. I really don't want a profiling version of Grey's Anatomy!

I tried watching Grey's Anatomy and gave up because the soapy elements were just too much to take. For the most part, keep CM a workplace drama and crime procedural. If I want some lovey-dovey moments I'll just read well-crafted CM fan fiction by people who can deliver. And perhaps I'll take a stab at it (yes, pun intended) myself.

On-topic. I got bored with this episode, too. However, I did wonder if the actress playing Danielle had the actual condition that ended up her killing herself and her boyfriend going completely off the rails.

• Love 2

I remember writing a fan mail to an actress when I was a teenager  (she would have been about 20 at the time) and I asked her "How hard is it to separate yourself from Cathy (her character's name)?" And about a year later, I got a short letter back from her, written on the back side of a page from the script, where her reply included, "Not very difficult at all, because I try to make Cathy alot (yep, she spelled it like that) like me." Cathy was quite reserved in the first few episodes of the show, and then started to evolve into a more outspoken and assertive person, and I could literally see Cathy change from WriterProducerVersionOfCathy to PattiCathy. As a relatively minor character, I don't think it mattered that much. But I'd hate to see any major character of any show I watch religiously to turn into a tv version of the actor's own self. Don't get me wrong I love Matthew to pieces, but Matthew *plays* Reid, Reid isn't Matthew. And shouldn't be. He can certainly have some creative input, and I'm sure he does: the mismatched socks, the purpleness, the converse runners with a suit, that's all Matthew, but for god's sakes producers do not let him lose the established quirkiness of character. Or wear sweaters that would cost 650 bucks a crack, when you know he still wears a scarf he wore in season 3.

Although Reidfan I don't think Matthew himself gives much heed to designer labels - he seems to wear favourite clothes into the ground and drives a fairly unglamorous car! I wonder if that cardigan was just a freebie he picked up from a modelling job and it fit Reid's style so he and the wardrobe department probably thought it was fine, not reckoning on eagle eyed fans spotting it for what it was! Darn it - I remember seeing the ad for the cardigan but still cannot find it!

• Love 1

lol, true enough. I have pictures of him wearing this one sweater from at least four or five different occasions, going back at least to Sundance 2011. I don't think, outside a modelling job, he really gives much of a crap about clothes to be truthful. Paget gave him that sweater with the horse and polo player on the front earlier this winter (I believe it was supposed to be for his birthday but she gave it to him much earlier than that) and he's worn it, as you say, to the ground. She even posted a picture of him, taken during the week they shot Tribute, where he was wearing it (again) and said something about him wearing it 24/7. It's funny, cause they all live in sunny and warm LA, yet he's always wearing a sweater. I'd be sweating buckets, overheating (and no, not because I'm post menopausal lol) in weather like that, yet the skinny lil thing he is, his metabolism probably makes him feel cold all the time. Come to snow-ridden Canada Matthew, I will personally keep you toasty warm :-P (approaching skeevy now myself)

Even Reid, actually, has been seen in the same shirt/suit combo on more than one occasion. The shirt he's wearing under googly eyes sweater above, has been seen before too. I like to think Reid spends very little money outside of coffee and books. Wouldn't be surprised if his savings account had a six figure balance in it by now, eleven years of FBI 100K+ annual salary plus OT etc....

oh...

this cardigan?

https://www.uebervart-shop.de/en/product/comme-des-garcons-play-cardigan-dark-grey/

• Love 1

wouldn't his mom's care be covered by insurance? or the state? her own past insurance? (Not sure how it works in the US, but here in Canada, there's help for this kind of thing) If she's mentally incapacitated, which Diana is, couldn't she be claimed as a dependant and whatever wonderful health insurance an FBI agent would have would cover it?  or maybe guilt-ridden dad, who lives a pretty frugal life (re: Garcia's snooping in Memoriam) would be covering it?

I don't know how America works - here in the UK it would be mostly covered. I guess I've read too many fanfics where Reid lives in a bad neighbourhood because he has to pay for his mom's care! We just hear hair-raising stories about the cost of health care in the States so I assumed Reid would pick up the tab for it?

I think the 'hair-raising stories of the cost of health care in the US' stems from the fact that a lot of people there apparently don't have or have to pay for their own health insurance so it's very much a have/have not kinda thing. In Canada, health care is a provincial responsibility and for the most part is covered by government paid (read: taxpayer & employer supported) insurance. In my case for example, the Ontario Health Insurance Plan covers most things, but the wonderfully generous Municipality of York Region (husband's employer) covers anything else O:-)  it may or may not be a union related benefit in some places too..... But in the US, I don't think it's quite as prevalent to be covered by government or employer. Although, given Garcia has made mention of the HMO 'they' have (meaning the BAU unit members, so I would presume that means all FBI agents and likely most law enforcement agencies as well) so I highly doubt Diana's care is a burden on Spencer at all.

He might shell out for any gap coverage that Medicare/Medicaid doesn't include, which could be expensive. Not getting the feeling Bennington is a private hospital and therefore isn't cheap.  Plus I'm sure he sends her things or puts money into an account for her so she can buy books, writing paper, extras, etc.  I don't think it's too much of a stretch to assume that.  

I kind of love that sweater, I must admit.  I really like Comme des Garçons, but I don't think it's too far fetched to think Spencer would have it.  That simple checked shirt is actually Tom Ford, and Hotch wears Prada -- far more costly than a CdG sweater.  We see that Spencer wears things for years -- he wore the same coat in S1 that he wore when Gideon was killed (I love that coat). Maybe it was the only item he bought for an entire season or two, or bought it in a late-season sale. Maybe he found it on consignment in DC or on a case.  Maybe Lila sent it to him -- I could imagine they were still friends -- and he isn't aware of the brand or the cost but liked the quirkiness of it.  Someone once said, "I am too poor to buy cheap clothes."  Maybe Reid has the same philosophy.  We know he doesn't have a car payment.  His place is probably rent controlled and he's lived there at least 11 years, I'd think. And the cost of food and ulitities for one person wouldn't be egregious.  I can totally see Spencer owning that sweater.

• Love 2
(edited)

PS -- does anyone remember some of Spencer's more interesting clothing choices in S1?  Some of his shirts were Penguin brand.  I remember wanting to hug the stuffing out of him when I saw him wearing those...  Poor baby must've visited a consignment store and stumbled upon the bounty of a dead skinny man who shopped exclusively at Sears and JC Penney in the 1970s.  I could almost smell the moth balls.

Now that brand is part of the uniform of hipsters everywhere.  My son owns several shirts with the penguin logo.

Edited by Droogie
Clarity
  • Love 1
(edited)

I liked that huge and hideous blue/grey woolly sweater he used to wear a lot  - I think the last time I remember it was in With Friends like These. After that he started getting more hipster and fashionable. I do love the navy pea coat he wears a lot - I strong-armed my son into getting one just like it!

Edited by Old Dog
  • Love 2

That's the one! He wore that on several occasions. Hideous but still makes him super huggable. Soon after that he changed to those slim fit cardigans more and more.

24 minutes ago, Droogie said:

Good grief, he's pretty.

Yes, he is. And I think if I had been first introduced to Matthew's beauty via his modeling, I would have been only too willing to write him off as an empty vessel while feeling only more of a victim of my so-called "Plain Janeness," which oddly enough, hasn't been influenced so much by the fashion industry because it is truly a hot mess of ridiculousness and therefore, easy enough to write off.

Nope, instead my feeling about my looks was more influenced by my family, the horrible community I grew up in, and society as a whole. Believe me, a recent job interview I went on a while back made me feel more pitiful about my looks than any issue of Vogue. Not so long ago, I was up for a copywriting position at a local PR/marketing firm. Before the interview, the interviewer told me via the phone he couldn't wait to meet me. He was really impressed with my work. I get to the job interview, he sees that I don't exactly resemble Kylie Jenner, and said to me, "I don't think you are right for this position." Granted, I was a bit fatter than I am now, but the extra poundage shouldn't have mattered considering I was writing copy, not strutting down the cat walk for Prada.

Did I tell you this interviewer was a man that resembled Jabba the Hut? He was morbidly obese.

And that's the ironic thing. Men who are the most fug are the most insulting towards my looks. Reasonably good looking guys are usually pretty complimentary or at least not insulting.

Anyway, that gets me back on-topic-this episode, Inner Beauty. If only this episode would have been written during CM's earlier days. I think the concept of inner beauty and how what is within one's character and personality counts so much more than the exterior (or at least it should in a perfect world). And this doesn't matter if the exterior is quite lovely like Reid's or resembles the unsub's girlfriend. But alas, in CM's current state, we were treated to this bunkum. Pity.

Oh, and Mr. Gubler. You're not the only one who has a way with one's tongue.

• Love 1