Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

On 4/5/2016 at 7:50 PM, Spartan Girl said:

That damn jury didn't deserve one ounce of gratitude. They didn't do their job. They didn't give a shit about evidence or their civic duty. They just wanted out and used peer pressure to get the holdouts to change their votes.

The Goldmans deserve a medal for not putting a hit on OJ (or his lawyers or the jury).

Kardashian puking in the men's room after the verdict....I feel your pain, pal.

This is wayyy late (just watching bc this is on netflix) but iirc according to the juror featured in the OJ documentary they all agreed in the first paper poll and since they didn't know what else to do they talked about it a little and finished.

I think the jury back and forth may have been added for drama...

One of the surprising things I got from the documentary was that quite a few jurors did seem thoughtful and rational.  

I mean, we all know he did it.  And I think their issue was that the defense was able to plant seeds of reasonable doubt with the shoddy evidence handling and Mark Fuhrman.  Jump high, jump low it's hard to trust a guy who takes the 5th when you ask him if he planted evidence.

• Love 2
On 4/5/2016 at 8:25 PM, Mya Stone said:

Oi. I forgot how powerful each person's closing arguments were.

To this day I will never understand Ito allowing OJ to speak without taking the stand.

So, i think Ito assumed the jury would convict and he didn't want to risk the conviction being overturned on appeal.  I think this is why he gave the defense sooo much leeway.  He assumed, like most people, that there was enough evidence to convict OJ a few times over.  So he wanted to assure the conviction stuck.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, RealReality said:

So, i think Ito assumed the jury would convict and he didn't want to risk the conviction being overturned on appeal.  I think this is why he gave the defense sooo much leeway.  He assumed, like most people, that there was enough evidence to convict OJ a few times over.  So he wanted to assure the conviction stuck.

That could be.  But that just goes to show how weak Ito was.  A strong judge, confident in his rulings, would have realized that no matter what he did, OJ would appeal a guilty verdict, so instead of bending over backwards for the defense, you make sure your rulings are consistent with what you did on other cases.  I know OJ case had some unique situations, but surely the judges have experienced some of the issues before.  Did you let other defendants speak without taking the stand?  Did you let other defendants' counsel completely redecorate a crime scene?  Did you let other defense counsel question witnesses about wild theories without any factual evidence?  etc.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Hanahope said:

That could be.  But that just goes to show how weak Ito was.  A strong judge, confident in his rulings, would have realized that no matter what he did, OJ would appeal a guilty verdict, so instead of bending over backwards for the defense, you make sure your rulings are consistent with what you did on other cases.  I know OJ case had some unique situations, but surely the judges have experienced some of the issues before.  Did you let other defendants speak without taking the stand?  Did you let other defendants' counsel completely redecorate a crime scene?  Did you let other defense counsel question witnesses about wild theories without any factual evidence?  etc.

I think appaleate court decisions don't always give clear guidance.  And the circumstances are always different to that you don't know exactly what in a situation the appaleate court may find to overturn and how important it will be.  Factors may be the same, but every factual scenario is different.  

Do i think Ito did everything right?  Absolutely not, but I think if you consider that he didn't want to get an overturned conviction in such a huge case it sort of makes better sense.  The .CA supreme court is probably one of the more liberal in the land, especially in that area.  And OJ had one of the foremost appellate attorneys on his team.

One of the many depressing things about watching this show almost two years after it aired is that I saw several of the comments earlier in the thread saying that at least OJ finally got sent to prison for the robbery conviction. I watched this show three months after he was paroled. He only served nine years of his thirty three year sentence. Knowing that he was walking around a free man again made watching just THAT much more unsettling.

I agree that David Schwimmer did an excellent job as Robert Kardashian. I thought I would only be able to see him as Ross (which was definitely true during the first episode) but in the last half of the series, his acting was great, even when he wasn't speaking. It takes a lot of skill to show the audience exactly how you feel or what you're thinking without saying a word, which he did in several scenes (particularly in the last two or three episodes).

Once again, A+ for the music choices on the show!

Seeing the Brown and Goldman families after the verdict, just crushed and devastated, was a good reminder that this case was about two people who were murdered. Showing photos of Nicole and Ron after all of the updates was the perfect way to end the series, reminding us that these two people were brutally killed. So sad.

• Love 4
On January 30, 2018 at 7:45 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

One of the many depressing things about watching this show almost two years after it aired is that I saw several of the comments earlier in the thread saying that at least OJ finally got sent to prison for the robbery conviction. I watched this show three months after he was paroled. He only served nine years of his thirty three year sentence. Knowing that he was walking around a free man again made watching just THAT much more unsettling.

I agree that David Schwimmer did an excellent job as Robert Kardashian. I thought I would only be able to see him as Ross (which was definitely true during the first episode) but in the last half of the series, his acting was great, even when he wasn't speaking. It takes a lot of skill to show the audience exactly how you feel or what you're thinking without saying a word, which he did in several scenes (particularly in the last two or three episodes).

Once again, A+ for the music choices on the show!

Seeing the Brown and Goldman families after the verdict, just crushed and devastated, was a good reminder that this case was about two people who were murdered. Showing photos of Nicole and Ron after all of the updates was the perfect way to end the series, reminding us that these two people were brutally killed. So sad.

Yeah, that was a bitter pill to swallow. I will always remember how my vindictive cackle seeing that ending photo of old fat OJ in prison ended with a horrified "Oh shit" upon seeing he'd be up for parole in 2017.

OJ cannot get enough pancreatic cancer to satisfy me. And for all the complaints about Cuba's performance, he really nailed OJ's eyerolls and "pity poor me, I'm such a victim" crocodile tears during the closing arguments.

I still loved this first season. Versace was good too, in a different way.

• Love 1
On 3/24/2018 at 8:29 PM, Spartan Girl said:

OJ cannot get enough pancreatic cancer to satisfy me.

Wow, I honestly forgot I posted this. It wasn’t pancreatic cancer, but still, spooky.