Type keyword(s) to search

Wait, What Happened? THAT? Speculation and Spoilers

On the ep thread most people seem to think Willa didn't know Adam wasn't really Adam and her having flashbacks and a nervous breakdown after hearing that he isn't would suggest that, but it seems pretty clear from the promo for the next ep that she did know. It looks like maybe Ben found her somehow before he did that whole stumbling out of the woods and going to the police station to say he's Adam thing. 

• Love 2

I think that Ben and Pocky are somehow in it together. Not sure what the purpose would be but I think maybe even Ben was allowed to escape / leave for whatever reason.  It seems the Mom is being targeted (both with Adam's kidnapping and now, with fake Adam coming back).  Maybe she did something in her past political career that Pocky didn't like?

This is based on a few things from the previous ep:

1) When Ben finally saw the flowers and the note, he smiled in an almost wistful way.  He didn't seem scared of Pocky but rather happy that he was thinking of him / wishing him well.
2) In the mall, it seemed to me that Ben gave Pocky a super secret small smile and the slightest of head nods from across the food court. I need to go back and re-watch that one scene but, to me, both were there.  Barely there, but there.
3) Also something seemed off with the way Ben suggested wearing the red checked shirt.  Like it was some kind of secret signal between the two of them.  

• Love 2

I think Ben is Pockys son (they even go to great lengths to not cover up breakouts on Ben). Ben heard about Adams life and decided if he ever escaped he would just pretend to be Adam. But that doesn't explain the key and trying to get out of the house.

Hank is somehow connected to Pocky. Maybe they are related or victims of the same person? There has to be something redeeming in Hank, seems like he needs a backstory.

And someone really hates Claire. This has something to do with her. Adam was targeted.

Is it all possibly politically motivated? 

Just a weird coincidence that Adam was abducted when his mom was campaigning for something (councilman?)   and then 10 years later, she's running for another office (mayor?  governor?)  and that's when "adam" returns. 

I don't know how it fits, it just seems like an unlikely coincidence.

• Love 2

I think Ben is Pockys son (they even go to great lengths to not cover up breakouts on Ben).

Their haircuts are very similar as well; it would be too coincidental IMO for them both to look that similar to each other.

• Love 1

The Family Boss Breaks Down Willa and Ben's Insane Plan: "They're Bound By This Terrible Idea"

Its from TVGuide but posting here instead of media since it contains plot points about upcoming episodes. Didn't want to ruin anything for people avoiding all spoilers.

I think a lot of it sounds interesting. I'm curious about Ben's family, especially since he told Willa he didn't have one and how Hank ties into Adam's kidnapping.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1

I think a lot of it sounds interesting. I'm curious about Ben's family, especially since he told Willa he didn't have one and how Hank ties into Adam's kidnapping.

I've started to wonder whether Hank and Pockmark knew each other and Pockmark targeted Adam after seeing him talking to Hank at that event--knowing that Hank, with his record, would be the suspect once the boy he was talking to disappeared.

• Love 2

Speculation about the real Adam:

I'm going to follow TV's rule of thumb: If we haven't seen a body, he's probably not dead. I could see Adam somehow appearing out of nowhere (season finale, anyone?) and threatening to expose Ben as an imposter. That would seriously mess up the delicate balance they all have going right now.

Danny needs a bigger role, I have no idea what they are paying Zach Gilford for. How to tie him into this?

• Love 2

I'm going to follow TV's rule of thumb: If we haven't seen a body, he's probably not dead. I could see Adam somehow appearing out of nowhere (season finale, anyone?)

This is how I see it, too. I believe I read that the writers said that we will get all the answers this season but that they have a way to do a second season as well, so i'm assuming Adam shows up at the end of the season finale.

Edited by peachmangosteen

The answers to several of the questions above are in the TV guide article linked in this thread.  

I'm curious about these comments in there:

In [Episodes] 8 and 9, we introduce a whole new question about Ben and that rocks Willa's world.

To me, the show starts now. Once we know who Ben is, we can explore the dynamics of these people. Once other people know who he is, it gets really interesting.

Who could Ben be that'd rock their world?  The obvious-- Doug's son?  Maybe Jane's brother?  Will we have to watch how the family reacts to their 'adopted' son being the real son of their own son's killer?  

For some reason I only pay half attention when I watch this show, but is this wife the pregnant woman? Maybe there will be a disgusting twist where she is the molester and the baby is Adam's.

I considered this, but I believe that Adam and Ben both referred to the abuser as a 'him.' I know at least Ben did.

I still think there's a chance the wife is in on it though, in some way.

• Love 1

I'm guessing the wife is not in on the kidnapping since they showed her husband acting suspicious around her. i was wondering why they show her so much though. I think they are throwing some red herrings out there but it doesn't make sense to show people numerous times who have nothing to do with the story.

I think the scene with the guy putting the stuffed animal in the cell was an indication he is about to grab another child. I don't think Ben is pocky's child and I certainly don't think Pocky is planning to kidnap his newborn baby and leave him in a cell. A newborn baby being kidnapped would cause the police to swarm all over the parents and he wouldn't be able to hide and take care of a baby while still working etc. I think they are going for a scenario where someone is a loving husband and father at home but a monster outside the home.

I don't see Ben as anything but an abused teenager that used humor and paying attention to things to survive. He may have had conversations with his kidnapper where he learned things about the world and he may have had access to radios or newspapers time to time.  

• Love 2

I'm guessing the wife is not in on the kidnapping since they showed her husband acting suspicious around her. i was wondering why they show her so much though. I think they are throwing some red herrings out there but it doesn't make sense to show people numerous times who have nothing to do with the story.

I think the scene with the guy putting the stuffed animal in the cell was an indication he is about to grab another child. I don't think Ben is pocky's child and I certainly don't think Pocky is planning to kidnap his newborn baby and leave him in a cell. A newborn baby being kidnapped would cause the police to swarm all over the parents and he wouldn't be able to hide and take care of a baby while still working etc. I think they are going for a scenario where someone is a loving husband and father at home but a monster outside the home.

I guess they probably show Jane so much for just like you said-- to show that Doug's got a normal life outside of this.  

I didn't really mean that he'd kidnap his baby (can you do that?) and imprison it, just that it seemed odd they'd show him placing the same stuffed animal in the dungeon that he'd just discussed using for the nursery.  It seemed to suggest he might be considering abusing this kid when it's older.  I don't really know what it was supposed to make us wonder.  It baffles me.  Who plans to abuse their own unborn child?  No one.  Though it does later happen sometimes.  

Maybe he bought two-- one for his bio child and one for his next abducted child.  Maybe they even showed something that let us know it was a second one, and I missed it.  

AH!  So astute.  I totally missed that.  I even went back and watched the scenes and it wasn't too clear it was a second one.  He did pull it out of a duffel bag.  I guess that was the clue.  

On April 11, 2016 at 11:06 AM, windsprints said:

The Family Boss Breaks Down Willa and Ben's Insane Plan: "They're Bound By This Terrible Idea"

It's from TV Guide but posting here instead of media since it contains plot points about upcoming episodes.

Creator Jenna Bans says, "the money [that Willa gave Ben] takes the story to a different place in the last couple of episodes." I remember he hid the $10,000—but where? In that motel where Willa first stashed Ben?* I thought the money came from Willa's personal account, so the twist might be what Ben does with the money.

*And if Ben still has access to the motel room, why doesn't he go there to feel safe, rather than the couch at his neglectful foster home?

Yes, it's in the motel room.  I'm guessing he hasn't been renting the motel room this whole time, he just stashed it in the wall and can go back and rent the room for a night when he wants it back or wants to fondle it.  And hope no one else has that room already.  

'Takes the story to a different place'... I don't know what Ben could do interesting with that money.   Donate it to Lang's campaign?  

(edited)

My speculation: there were two boys in that bunker, Eric and Adam. "Ben" is really Adam and Eric died. Eric was the boy (Ben) in that foster home..... something like that. I don't think Adam even realizes he is Adam, but if the producers said Adam is dead......

I don't know. I just feel there is something more to this "Eric" character. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
confusion
(edited)

Well, "Eric" was mentioned in last night's episode, but it is my speculation that this "Ben" is really Adam and the older boy in that bunker was "Eric." "Ben" is just a name....

Anyway, why would the producers confirm that Adam is dead? It makes no sense because these type of shows thrive on the suspense of unanswered questions. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, ari333 said:

This was the first I heard of "Eric". I should listen more carefully.

Jane: There was a boy 12 years ago where we used to live. He swore he didn't do it, and I believed him.

Agent Gabe Clements: What was the boy's name?

Jane: Eric.

Clements: Monsters don't remember names; Girl Scouts do.

In the previous episode, the man at the house where Ben's been going told Nina Meyer he had a foster child named Ben "8, maybe 10 years ago," but he couldn't say what happened to the boy. Nina saw a photo that looked like a younger Ben.

Edited by editorgrrl
Added evidence suggesting Eric =/= Ben
(edited)

I don't see how Ben could be Adam. There is the left handed thing, the appendicitis scar, and the fact that Ben doesn't have Adam's memories. If Adam was 8 years old when he was taken, he should at least be able to remember or recognize people. I think it would be great for Adam to be alive; but now we are used to Ben. So it doesn't make sense to bring back another boy during the final episodes and it doesn't make sense for Ben to be Adam. I'm guessing there is some other twist but I don't know what it is yet.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 3

Not to mention Bridey's DNA test.  

I'm guessing Eric was mentioned just to show that Jane's an idiot and did have signs that Doug's a perv, she just refused to believe it.  

There is a sneak peek clip up called "The Lineup" which shows exactly what they telegraphed would happen.  

Kind of interesting that ABC titled a prior clip "Ben Killed Adam".  That's not really what he said.  

(edited)

The speculation floating around is that Ben is Doug's son..... so maybe Ben was in foster care because Doug was abusing him. Maybe Ben never ran away but was kidnapped back by Doug. Then Doug brought Adam in there so Ben would have company? 

Edited by DakotaLavender

I personally think that's too sick for ABC.  They put up a special viewer warning just because a guy had two boys in a hole for ten years, molesting them.  Making one his own son is just over the top disgusting and depraved.