Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: Worlds Finest

Trini
  • Start Topic

I do think SuperGirl could use way better sidekicks and though I definitely just dipped a toe in, the whole secret agency (a la S.H.I.E.L.D.) thing was NOT working for me. At all. Villains seemed fun-ish, and Flockhart was fantastic, but everyone else seemed so interchangeably ho-hum. Very little wit or fun, at least for us.

Agree about the sidekicks. Winn is TV White Geek No. 249 (and the actor is not nearly charismatic enough to overcome the generic-ness of the role). Jimmy doesn't appear to have any real personality (though he's nice to look at). This show needs a Cisco Ramon or Season 1 Felicity from Arrow.

(edited)

The DEO stuff is the best thing about the show (along with MB). Winn and James can and should go, especially James, because he's basically "generic love interest" in a nutshell. A well-written romance is a great way to make your viewers invest emotionally, and I don't think that James/Kara is salvageable at this point. 

Edited by FurryFury

Well, I'm not even going to try and handwave Cat somehow NOT noticing about Kara/Supergirl anymore. I'm taking it as fact that she KNOWS and is playing along.

Yeah, it would be weird if she could suss Siobhan immediately in all her kit and not Kara, but part of me thinks, I wouldn't put it past this show.

Can someone please explain to me how the same creators/producers etc that have created The Flash and Arrow still can't get it together with this show.  I watched a few episodes at the beginning of the season then couldn't take it, I tuned in for the x-over because The Flash, and I will not be tuning back in.  The cast it sitll flat, and i don't buy any of that geeky charm thing MB is tying so hard to pull off.  CBS should cancel this thing. 

It's very popular though.  I mean, I am lukewarm like you, but I thought I read somewhere that it's CBS's top rated freshman drama.  For me everything in the DOE comes to a screeching halt as I've never liked Chyler Leigh, or the immutable everpresent tarry darkness they ladle over the lair.  

I will say though that I was transfixed at how AMAZING Calista Flockhart looks. Logically, I know she's had work done, and/or is probably being filmed via an entire jar of vaseline, but if you told me she'd discovered how to travel through time in real life, I'd believe you because, damn, she looks flawless. Exactly like herself, only much, much younger than her actual age. She's also got all the best lines. If there was more of that, I'd like SuperGirl a lot more.

Benoist is getting a lot of praise but Flockhart is running away with this show, IMO, which must be great fun for Benoist to try to hold her own.

• Love 1

... Benoist is getting a lot of praise but Flockhart is running away with this show, IMO, which must be great fun for Benoist to try to hold her own.

With Flockhart here, and Jesse L. Martin and Tom Cavanugh on the The Flash, the producers have been good with casting 'veteran' actors to class up the joint.

----

I can't wait to see the deleted scenes and bloopers from this episode!

• Love 2

It's very popular though.  I mean, I am lukewarm like you, but I thought I read somewhere that it's CBS's top rated freshman drama.

Yes. When ratings everywhere are in the toilet, something that is floating on the top starts to look good. The ratings for this show are historically terrible. But networks are learning (finally!) that cancelling shows and churning new ideas in a desperate search for a mega hit isn't working and that's why people aren't watching freshman TV at all. That's why they're renewing almost everything this year. Between this and Limitless, the latter is by far the superior show. But the ratings of both would have meant instant cancellation in any year before this one. So the ratings for this mediocre show suck. But they suck in the right year.

• Love 1

BTW, the tie-in to this episode on The Flash was in episode 2.18 ("Versus Zoom"), in the first couple minutes.

Not much of a tie-in, though. We see Barry with the device on his chest, and while running he quickly enters and exits a 'breach'; then when he returns to the lab he says he's back and asks how long he was gone. (His friends didn't notice he left.) But he doesn't mention anything about the other universe or Supergirl.

OK, this one was just FUN. It did suffer from the classic Superman problem: there's no way any human (or near-human) threat should challenge Supergirl if she just made use if her complete power set, which was made worse by having The Flash there too. Did think the two had way better chemistry than any other of Kara's love interests and it was great that they both mentioned their need for 10000 calories a day (an unrealistically LOW figure if we're meant to believe there's any scientific basis for how either of their biologies work, but I'll take the nod towards plausibility). But no way does Cat eat a whole boxful of cupcakes, unless she purges for a week beforehand - maybe she just eats one and then leaves the box around to prove her willpower?

Argenta I found Siobhan's voodoo make-up quite OTT

I guess it's Banshee's "classic" look, but I never quite understand why the first thing a new supervillain does is go "First I have to build an iconic image!" (OK, it makes sense in a comic book because you want your villains to be distinctive on the page). But I did wonder why Siobahn went along with Livewire's suggestion to adopt a make up  routine that takes (I guess) an hour to prepare. SHE doesn't have superspeed!

They showed a quick shot of the Banshee spirit as part of a montage early in the show, so I took the makeup as Siobhan trying to express what was haunting her dreams. When I first saw the stills from the episode, I was put off because, as effects makeup, she looked awful. When we got to the actual show, and it was clear that it was just supposed to be "Siobhan put on some makeup," I liked it better. No, it's not practical really, but...