Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Sam, Again

Jess applies for a job at a progressive new school, but things take a turn when she finds out the principal is dating her ex-boyfriend, Sam. Meanwhile, Nick gets a cold and Schmidt quarantines the roommates to prevent himself from getting sick before his big presentation.

Well. I think I enjoyed the show more when Jess had jury duty. I enjoyed Cici, Schmidt and Winston getting good story lines. The best part this week was the sub plot of CiCi and Nick getting sick and watching the stupid cartoon.  I did like the scene when Sam picked up her brownies with his hands and smashed them then told her to go away.  Not sure how the new school will play out. The principal is over the top annoying. I know she is suppose to be, but, yeah...

Winston.

In his sunglasses.

Perfection.

• Love 1

Best part of the episode for me was that Genevieve didn't overlook Sam's physically assault and she dumped him.   (Was Jess trying to hit on him with her brownies?)

At first I thought who puts their fingers into a tray of brownies? The answer became obvious: someone who is murdering brownies with his bare hands. Damn, Sam. Those were perfectly good brownies that I would have eaten!

I wouldn't have handled it like Sam, but I have more than one ex from whom I'd be weary of a food gift. Of course I wouldn't have opened the door for those people either.

Edited by revbfc

This season is so weird. It felt to me like they were moving Nick and Jess back together before Jess disappeared and while she was gone Nick was totally smitten with Megan Fox. But now that Jess is back, its like that never happened and it feels still, to me, that the writers are back to pushing Nick and Jess. I mean, that speech about their relationship was so nice and moving. It almost made me forget how poorly they were written when they were together and just made me remember the exciting moments when they got together.

My absolutely favourite part was Cece blowing her nose. Hannah Simone has been the all-star this season and has totally blown me away with her comedy and her ability to drive the story forward.

• Love 2

This season is so weird. It felt to me like they were moving Nick and Jess back together before Jess disappeared and while she was gone Nick was totally smitten with Megan Fox. But now that Jess is back, its like that never happened and it feels still, to me, that the writers are back to pushing Nick and Jess. I mean, that speech about their relationship was so nice and moving. It almost made me forget how poorly they were written when they were together and just made me remember the exciting moments when they got together.

I got the same feeling, and was half expecting Jess to show up at Nick's door with brownies instead of Sam's. I have no idea what their intention is, other than to keep the spark alive for a Jess-Nick reunion in the series finale. They've also been moving Nick toward a more responsible, independent version of himself.

• Love 1

I hope nobody missed the best joke of the whole episode because they turned it off or changed the channel too quickly when the production card came up. After Sam smashed all the brownies and slammed the door the show "ended" but there was a voice-over of Jess saying "Eh, Nick will eat them."

I had forgotten all about Sam, actually, and whatever led to him and Jess breaking up. But I love Lucy Punch, she was so good in the short-lived sitcom Ben & Kate (the show with Dakota Johnson and Nate Faxon), and I hope she becomes a semi-regular here. The "progressive" school was cringe-worthy because you KNOW it's not far from the truth. There probably are schools like that. "Who are we to tell them what to learn and when?" "Umm, teachers?"

I want to know what the hell Nick and Cece were watching and whether it was a real thing or something the show made up for this episode.

• Love 2

Nick and Cece is really underrated as a friendship compared to the Winston and Cece mess-around. They are so similar in some manners and play off well of their mutual love of Schmidt while also acknowledging their befuddlement at his quirks.

On a grander scale, I'm not sure there's much left for this show after this season, and the Schmidt and Cece wedding. I came to the show for Zooey, but her supporting cast has completely surpassed her as sitcom performers. I want Zooey back in film where her onscreen presence seems to fit more. Of course, maybe a stable, LA based routine works better for her personally now.

I absolutely loved this episode. For me this season has been more like early episodes when the jokes were much more fast and subtle.  There was a ton of facial acting in this that absolutely killed me.  Really excellent background reactions.  Our household favorite joke was "If you take your bike, can you lock mine back up?" which followed "Once again I have had a terrible time in this horrible loft with you awful people". 

• Love 1

But I love Lucy Punch, she was so good in the short-lived sitcom Ben & Kate (the show with Dakota Johnson and Nate Faxon), and I hope she becomes a semi-regular here.  

Ah yes! I had been trying to remember where I had recently seen that lovely English actress,. She was great in her role as the spacey, New Age-y head of the school.

Has the show been renewed for next season? I do think that a wedding episode would make a perfect finale (just as The Office could have easily wrapped up with the Pam/Jim wedding), but I'm certainly not wishing that NG would go away. I've generally enjoyed this season and I think the last couple episodes since Jess came back have been particularly strong.

• Love 2