Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Beyond The Tank Episode 206

Mark Cuban goes one-on-one with the team from Beatbox, a boxed wine geared to millennials that got a deal in Season 6. They now know they have to convince Mark that they can find innovative ways to bring in new customers. Barbara Corcoran invested in The Coop during Season 4. She gives them a perfect plan to grow The Coop, a kid's indoor/outdoor play and party space. In Season 5, Surprise Ride didn't get a deal because they placed too high of a valuation on their subscription gift service. A surprise phone call from Kevin O'Leary could give them some needed advice.

Wasn't it lucky that there just happened to be cameras filming at Surprise Ride when Kevin made his totally unexpected telephone call? Or that a possible partner for the Coop coincidentally was coming the same time that Barbara was there to talk them out of franchising? I wish we didn't have to have all the reenactments of things clearly decided. The Sharks and the entrepreneurs are just not that good as actors. 

• Love 2

The beatbox segment just seemed really boring to me. After watching this episode, not only did it reiterate that everyone thinks they have a million dollar idea (the Surprise Ride women in their original Shark Tank appearance), they want to grow and franchise as soon as possible. I do like it when the reality of business is explained to the unrealistic business owners. I did like how Mark explained the process of growing and how Kevin explained the importance of acquisition costs. The Coop women, who are barely making money, seem really unrealistic in expanding into partnerships and franchises; it must be the idea of royalties (hmmmm, very much like Kevin...).

All of the workspaces seem paperless and sparse save a few with notepads. 

The Coop doesn't seem like a sustainable business. Acquisition costs are a factor because families age out of their need for a children's party service. Party services in our area come and go. There doesn't seem to be a demand. 

Why does anyone need Surprise Ride? 

Surprise Ride should be targeting grandparents. For those who have the budget, I could see I being a great recurring gift that would be both fun and educational. I thought the other businesses seemed rather shaky.

I especially don't get Beat Box. I'm not in their target market, but it seems like it would be hard to acquire or keep customers given that there seems to be no single serving option. Customer acquisition costs would likely be pretty high, and my guess is that those customers would only be with you for a few years.

Beat Box seems like it's targeted at the college market or just out of college - - I remember those days of drinking Boone's Farm or Two Buck Chuck.  Beat Box would probably work well at a party but at a club?  I don't see it.

Surprise Ride seems like it would work well at some type of daycare or after school setting but it seems it would lose its novelty fairly quickly for parents.  Of course I also thought Lumio was novelty only so it show what I know.

I thought the same about The Coop as Showthyme.  How is it sustainable?  The ladies - - who I liked - - said they were making half a million or so a year but were investing the majority of that back in the business.  I wondered if they owned their brick and mortar location - - in Studio City, the rent is not cheap.  And there is only so much shelf life for the decor, etc. - - which also changes with trends and popularity.  I did wonder why they didn't consider losing their on-site location for parties and focus just on people's homes.  They said they had celebrities or some other high end clientele that had parties at their residences.  Wouldn't that be more profitable?  Bring everything there and not pay for an actual location?   Or minimize your location because it would basically be a showroom/office?     

ETA:  The Coop ladies said they were taking salaries of 50K each - - what the what??  They are working 7 days a week . . . for 50K in LA, what's the point? 

Edited by psychoticstate

Didn't like the Surprise Ride the first time, didn't like them now.

Just looking at the Gatorade-colored Beatbox "wine," my stomach kind of curdled.  I mean, say the inventor of Boone's Farm had come into the Tank, would Mark have enthused about how they also sell fun.

I thought the same about The Coop as Showthyme.  How is it sustainable?

There are always going to be families have new children.  I don't know if Coop's services will always be popular, but that's really true of any business.

Also, their new partner was going to focus her efforts on the Bay Area, which isn't hurting for rich parents trying to outdo each other.

• Love 1

Wasn't it lucky that there just happened to be cameras filming at Surprise Ride when Kevin made his totally unexpected telephone call?

That phone call was definitely staged.  If Kevin O'Leary was really calling, the call would have occurred around midnight.  

The Coop ladies said that most of their income/profit came from the brick/mortar business. I think they were doing the celebrity parties because...celebrities. They may not charge enough for a healthy profit from the celebrities as they want to continue to claim a celebrity clientele (kind of like how celebrities get all kinds of free stuff when the reality is that they are the people who can best afford to pay retail prices; oh well).