Type keyword(s) to search

Resurrection: Bigger Questions

It reminds me of other shows I eagerly anticipated (like Joan of Arcadia, for one), shows with an exciting idea/hook and absolutely no idea of what to do with it. I'll probably finish this season, but if it looks like it's going the same way, I'll bail.

I see that the rating have been steadily dropping, but I really do like Resurrection.  The only problem I have is the same problem I have with Under the Dome (another show I like *ducking flying tomatoes*)...to me, the people in town don't seem to be properly freaked out.  I know I would be questioning my sanity every minute of every day if I were in either situation.

I too tuned in because it was an interesting idea. I agree that the people in town aren't acting like I'd think they'd really react. I figured there'd be the people who were ecstatic to see their loved ones come back from the dead. They'd be wondering how it could happen. Was there some spiritual event going on? Were people coming back to life all over the world?

Then there's the suspicious people who think the resurrected are somehow aliens, or imposters posing as their loved ones. I understand there should be a healthy amount of skepticism and maybe some DNA testing or something. But while that's being done, how about some HAPPINESS to see your little boy alive again!

This show stirs lots of emotions. I'd have tons of questions to ask that person. Yet these people do a lot of silent staring. Another point is how can this show take a topic like being "resurrected" and NOT be mentioning The Bible? I've watched several episodes of this show. I don't remember anyone mentioning "hey, why don't we look it up in The Bible and see what it says?". Maybe they did, but I didn't see that 2 minutes.

I hoped this show would be really interesting when I saw the previews. ITA that it seems more like they had a good idea, but don't have a clue what to do with it. That's too bad. I wanted to like this show.

Edited by SunShine Gal
  • Love 1

First off let me say that 'YES' this is a Tv drama so a lot of it is really 'out there'

That said, I have questions:.

1) How did the dead people get out of thier graves ?

2) What about the dead that were cremated?

3) Wouldn't you go to the dead persons grave site and see if there was a big open hole there with a opened casket ?

4) What about the "dead" that were missing and declaired "legally dead" ? Does the local police need to speak to them ?

5) Will thier drivers lic say "zombie" ?

6) How did the dead people get out of thier graves?

• Love 1

1) How did the dead people get out of thier graves ?  They didn't -- the bodies are still in the graves (as we saw with Jacob)

2) What about the dead that were cremated?  No problem -- Caleb was cremated and Returned

3) Wouldn't you go to the dead persons grave site and see if there was a big open hole there with a opened casket ?  They did that with Jacob.

4) What about the "dead" that were missing and declaired "legally dead" ? Does the local police need to speak to them ? One of the many interesting questions that these boring people haven't asked.

5) Will thier drivers lic say "zombie" ? They're not really "undead", so no.

6) How did the dead people get out of thier graves? See Question 1.

• Love 1
(edited)

To respond to the question about whether this is sticking to the book ... VERY loosely (there is a spoiler thread on here about the book) ... IIRC the Langstons, Bellamy and Fred are in the book (oh, and the Pastor) and IIRC that's where the resemblance ends (small spoiler, in the book, Barbara does NOT return and Fred's bitter and angry that other people's loved ones returned and his didn't -- plus, he's not Henry's brother in the book but I can't recall the relationship, and he's evil right from the get-go -- and towards the end, Jacob tells him that he knew Barbara on the other side and how pretty she was and something about why she didn't return -- but the connection with Jacob actually DYING with her is strictly made-for-TV -- in the book, he was just playing by the water and fell in and drowned). 

Also, in the book -- and I can say this without fear of spoilering since clearly they did not follow this storyline -- one of the main returnees IS Bellamy's mother, but she is elderly and has either Alzheimer's or is senile and is in that condition AS a returnee, though she technically died of pneumonia. Interesting that on this show ALL of the returnees are healthy, with the exception of, you know, their being dead. From the stories we've heard, they all died suddenly, yes? Suicide, drowning (in several cases), war (so many veterans), etc.

You know, when Mrs. Thompson talked about her son's birthmark, I immediately thought "Oh, it's gonna be Bellamy," but then thought it couldn't work out timeline-wise ... so now I'm also wondering about how this will play out ... do the returned continue to age naturally once they return?

So, could he have gone through the first return as a baby, grown up, died, and returned again? Or is it possible that he was swept out of her arms as an infant, but actually survived the flood and died at whatever age Bellamy is now, and returned back at that age?

I'll add that in the book, he actually works for an organization that rehomes and processes the returned, so while the concept of "how/why" itself is not addressed, the "cicada cycle" makes weird sense because otherwise why would such an organization exist if they hadn't gone through it before?

ETA: Maybe I should re-read the book. Because I don't remember his being "returned" in the book. I may have completely missed that. I tend to space out sometimes. 

Also, any conjecture on who the young woman is -- Eva? -- connected to the church bitch (Helen? Can't remember her name). 

Not spoilering here ... just what-iffing.  

I hope it gets renewed. I know it's overdone and overwrought and all that but, maybe because I liked the book and the concept and so many of the characters, I'm invested. 

Edited by ManicMoxy