Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: T.R.A.C.K.S.

• Start Topic

I liked the structure of this ep, and it was fast-paced and exciting. The first half was funnier than I expected -- I enjoyed Fitz pretending to be American by asking about restaurants with big portions for affordable prices, Simmons and her overly detailed cover story/overacting, Ward and Coulson trying and failing to use the holotable, and May's usual deadpan snark. Always enjoy seeing May kick some ass, of course -- and Simmons also proved her bravery once again by basically throwing herself on a grenade to save Fitz and Skye. I was also moved by her breakdown at the end of the episode and by Fitz silently comforting her. 

And now we have to wait until March 4 for the next one. Sigh.

• Love 2

I don't think the show is in any danger of cancellation. It's not the major hit the network expected it to be (I really think the biggest issue with this show is that people had too-high expectations for it in the wake of The Avengers), but it's doing fine in the ratings. I know this isn't really a Joss Whedon show, but it fits the mold in many ways, and Whedon shows usually start off a bit slow.

I've actually been enjoying it all along, but I'm glad they're ramping up the action and tension now. I hope they play with story structure more in the back nine and also mix and match the characters more -- it was fun seeing Simmons and Coulson working together this episode, and Skye and Fitz too (and I enjoyed the Skye/Simmons and Ward/Fitz shenanigans in "The Hub"). I think this show works best as an ensemble -- unlike a lot of viewers, I actually like Skye and want to know more about her origins, but (like most people) I found Coulson's "Tahiti" storyline to be too drawn-out and anticlimactic. My favorite episodes so far have been this one, "The Hub," and "F.Z.Z.T." (because Simmons is my favorite forever) -- episodes that haven't had much to do with Coulson and Skye's mysteries.

Simmons also proved her bravery once again by basically throwing herself on a grenade to save Fitz and Skye.

Yes! This! I paused it and yelled about that to my husband! She presumably thought she was going to die and she saved them! She's amazing and no one even mentioned it after the fact...

I really liked this episode, and I've only been lukewarm on the series thus far so I'm hoping that things are looking up!

Kurosawa should really have copyrighted Rashomon style storytelling, because just about everyone has used it at some point (usually when they've run out of ideas). Though actually I thought this was a refreshing change up for the series, because they actually gelled as a team. Really liked Coulson's "You really want to talk about your affair now!?" because Ward really was acting like he was the first agent to have sex ever. Though I wish Coulson had shown a similar sang froid over Skye's injury, because unless she actually turns out to be his daughter (or mother, with some wacky time travel hijinks!) he shouldn't be breaking down like that.

Something else that had been lacking thus far was a reoccurring bad guy, so I'm hoping corporate dude escapes next week (bad guys always do!). I don't count the Clairvoyant since he/she/it has never had a line (that we get to hear) and Deathlok is a minion rather than a mastermind (and a conflicted one at that).

Edited by John Potts
  • Love 1

Ian Quinn is just a brat with money that thinks he can get away with anything. I think his shooting Skye was just a way to hurt the team more by having her slowly die. Or at least take their mind off him and his team. He didn't seem to worried that the Agents had found his house. But with Mike, Carlo Mancini's Security and the crooked Police with Det. Luco Russo, Quinn probably thought he had little to worry about. I thought Russo might be bad when Coulson first talked to him.

I believe Stan Lee could be the Clairvoyant. Didn't he and his Bunny (Hefner) dates come from the Cyber-tech car direction? The females are probably highly trained assassins.

it was funny how Ward and Coulson had trouble running the Fitz and Simmons board. Couldn't they call another team or Shield HQ to find out how to use it? It did seem Coulson got on Ward pretty hard. He knows May better and knows she is a cool operative and won't let her ways to release tension interfere with her work. But maybe Ward thinks there is more to it? But him seeing Coulson and May in a caring encounter could drive him towards Skye?

I liked the pairings they had. Coulson as Simmons dad. It was cute she wanted an elaborate back story since it is new to her in the dangerous field. But it was a bit overboard. Maybe Coulson will have to send her to the "How to be an Undercover Agent" class. Skye and Fitz worked better. Her accent stunk, lol. And his worked great! Later in the Box car it was a good team effort along with Simmons. Ward and May did their thing. How did Quinn know they were on train? The Clairvoyant? Ward fighting Sofia(blonde) and the Guard in the room on the train was good. He hesitating to hit her and then did was nice. Shows a gentleman who had to stop her.

The time bombs were a good deterrent. I to didn't know how the train "disappeared". But retracing over the teams timelines put some of the pieces together. Was interesting that Coulson and Ward found the truck running. But it was answered on Mays timeline. May escaping and taking out Russo showed how BA she could be. Again like Quinn did to Skye, Russo must have just been there to maim? Or cause a slow death? Maybe he wanted her secrets?

Mike as Deathlock should have him fighting the controls on him. He should get to the point where he wants to hurt Quinn. But Quinn may have something to control him. He will get mad and frustrated he can't talk to his son. Skye may also have a way to get through to him. That is what I thought might have to a point happened in the basement. But if it did, I didn't pick it up.