Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E18: Top 6 Perform

• Start Topic

I've been singing "Mairzy Dotes" since I was three, and I have no idea what it's about. ;)

I only learned recently that there are actual WORDS in this song. Always assumed it was nonsense syllables:

Mares eat oats

And does eat oats

And little lambs eat ivy

A kid'll eat ivy, too,

Wouldn't you?

Not saying they make a whole LOT of sense, but it is a comprehensible sentence! LOL

Anyway, to get back on topic

I actually forgot to watch the show completely last week, and have only managed to catch some of the solos so far, so don't have all that much input, but I did like Dalton's Eleanor Rigby. It started out a lot like David Cook's, but got even edgier toward the end, which I did enjoy. Both versions have their own strengths, and both speak to the darkness of the lyrics IMO, so it wasn't as though Dalton found an undercurrent there which no one had ever discovered, but I did find some of the chord choices toward the end of Dalton's rather haunting. I don't know where that arrangement came from or how much Dalton might have had to do with it, but did find the whole thing quite effective.

Also watched Sonika and Tristan. Sonika did a good job vocally, but there's nothing about her which I find interesting, and Tristan was adequate, but I found my attention wandering

Not upset at the eliminations, though I did like Lee and hope he doesn't give up on music as I do think he has it in him to be quite good a few years down the line. Avalon never struck a chord with me and I was frankly surprised at how many people seemed to see something really special in her. Mileages do vary, though, and I don't think she was bad by any means, just not my cuppa tea.

I still obviously need to go back and watch some of the other performances, but it does say something about this season that it seems a chore to actually do that.

• Love 2

I only learned recently that there are actual WORDS in this song. Always assumed it was nonsense syllables:

Mares eat oats

And does eat oats

And little lambs eat ivy

A kid'll eat ivy, too,

Wouldn't you?

Not saying they make a whole LOT of sense, but it is a comprehensible sentence! LOL

Oh, I know the words--they were spelled out in the recording my childhood self had--but what it MEANS I have no idea... ;)

Probably not.  The tour has been losing money the last few seasons.  It was always intended to promote the show, but now the show will be ending.

Right. That's my thought. They have no reason to hold a tour. In fact, many reasons NOT to (it would dull the effect of whatever goodbye they do).

I share the baffled horror  re WTH was JLo wearing?

La Porsha and Trent sounded really nice on their duet; the boys were awful; and the other two duets were meh.

Solos:

La Porsha was very good.  I'm not sure I can see her winning, though - I think a boy will win.

Mackenzie: much better than his duet, but boring.

I didn't see last season so this was my first exposure to Nick Fradiani.  He was boring too.

Trent was good; he's growing on me.  Tristan also impressed this week; the song suited her.

Dalton is very pretty but appears to have trouble staying in tune.

I didn't enjoy Avalon's solo at all. Lee was better but not great.

Sonika was the best of the B3 by quite a long way.

Just from the presentation, with the tall blond guy singing, in effect, lead, and the shorter dark-haired guy singing accompaniment and playing guitar, the Dalton & Mackenzie duet reminded me of Hall & Oates.  I don't consider that a bad thing.

Tristan, your granddad has been battling a lung disease? I thought he'd broken his back, that's what you said last week. And if you've really been singing that song since you were eleven like you claim, shouldn't you know what it is about? 

When I heard that, I thought maybe he broke his back (remember, she spoke about that like it was a surprise) by coughing, which would be because of the lung issue.  Part of the reason I think this, is because once upon a time a dorm mate who had pneumonia, broke a rib coughing, and this was a hale hearty young person.

• Love 1

I'm really going to miss Avalon and Lee.  True, they weren't the best singers, but Avalon had a current sound that I could easily on today's radio. Same with Lee...and, he's a young black guy doing something. They both made me smile.  Not sure who I'll root for now, but it's the final season, so I guess I'll keep watching, or at least come back for the finales.

• Love 1