Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: That Time in the Car

Duval‘s sister (and Pritchard‘s daughter), Helen is dating Wally, a parole officer with whom she was linked while they were both in high school. Pritchard‘s disdain for Wally hasn‘t changed since then, but Pritchard can‘t let his previous history with Wally be discovered by Helen. Much to the chagrin of Pritchard and Duval, they discover Wally is being coerced by a prisoner to carry out an elaborate prison break, and must team up with Wally to stop the prisoner from carrying out his grand plans. Meanwhile, Alexa speaks out to Mary about her distrust of Pritchard, and Otto mourns the anniversary of his parents‘ death.

There was more good in this ep than in the previous eps.  Earned/organic emotion works in any story.  Whizbang whatevers (the IT stuff in this case) can't be the driver.

It still is darn difficult for me to overlook how Mary has alllll this free time.  Is, or is not, LookinGlass in an existential crisis?  How did she manage to launch the new OS?  Did the board all of a sudden just wash their hands and give Mary free reign?  The media?  These folks would be relentless.  The stock would be on life support.  But dear, sweet, Mary just hangs out at home, ready to do the Pritchards' bidding.

Duval's FBI boss would now most certainly demand he come clean, or be suspended.  There is no getting around the extra-legal BS and the lone wolf approach he has taken for at least a month, now, resulting in unreal success.  

No Connor?  Oh.  Right.  Mary has to be unencumbered in the service of her boy.  Speaking of...just how long was he allowed to stay out of his tank.  There were at least two days of activity, which followed at least a full night of drinking/poker playing.  No diminishment of motor skills/power?  

I wish I cared about Alexa's true background.  I'll settle simply for the treachery and betrayal.  That works by itself.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 1

It still is darn difficult for me to overlook how Mary has alllll this free time.  Is, or is not, LookinGlass in an existential crisis?  How did she manage to launch the new OS?  Did the board all of a sudden just wash their hands and give Mary free reign?  The media?  These folks would be relentless.  The stock would be on life support.  But dear, sweet, Mary just hangs out at home, ready to do the Pritchards' bidding.

I'm still wondering how she's running her company when she's off helping Pritchard and Otto is stuck isolated in his room.

No Connor?  Oh.  Right.  Mary has to be unencumbered in the service of her boy.  Speaking of...just how long was he allowed to stay out of his tank.  There were at least two days of activity, which followed at least a full night of drinking/poker playing.  No diminishment of motor skills/power?

Plot convenience tank, I called it in the pilot when they introduced that concept.

I wish I cared about Alexa's true background.  I'll settle simply for the treachery and betrayal.  That works by itself.

I guess she's supposed to be an important subplot now.

• Love 1

I was glad to see Jimmy does have some interest in his daughter's life after all, even if it maifests by being ridiculously overprotective about a woman who's got to be in her mid 40s (though she acts like a scatterbrained coed). In previous episodes she might as well have been Duvall's housekeeper for all the attention he paid her.

I admit, half my enjoyment of this show is watching Sheriff Jimmy go full-on alpha male mode on the other men in each episode. And Breckin Meyer makes the perfect beta male.

I was WTF at the reveal at the end that the secretary is in her 80s. There was a moment earlier when it looked like she was going to kiss the old man, and I remember thinking that didn't look right. Is Mary's rival/fuck buddy developing some fountain of youth formula? I'm intrigued.

I think they made a mistake naming the brother "Otto" and the AI "Arthur." The two sounds are too similar. Or, now that I write that, maybe that's their intent to show Otto is little more than a computer program.

I was glad to see Jimmy does have some interest in his daughter's life after all, even if it maifests by being ridiculously overprotective about a woman who's got to be in her mid 40s (though she acts like a scatterbrained coed).

Sorry, but just that's feminist orthodoxy bullshit that a man can't be protective of a woman in his life.

I think they made a mistake naming the brother "Otto" and the AI "Arthur." The two sounds are too similar. Or, now that I write that, maybe that's their intent to show Otto is little more than a computer program.

Sorry, but just that's feminist orthodoxy bullshit that a man can't be protective of a woman in his life.

Note I said overprotective. It was clearly shown that Jimmy had been so disruptive to Helen's love life by terrorizing any boy interested in her early on that she's still messed up about it decades later. Duvall's brotherly concern and stepping forward to level with her about her old sweetheart being on the take so she could make an informed decision strike me as the good kind of protectiveness. As opposed to regarding her as brainless chattel that he has to defend from anyone who might "take her away."

As for Otto and Arthur, I want to know how Otto managed to program Arthur to be friendly and polite to users when those are things that he seems to have no personal understanding of. Did he subcontract programming the user interface out to Team Cobra Tattoos?

A new low for ratings.  .5 in the demo.  1.81 million total viewers.

Maybe Arthur can robocall all of America to get folks to watch?

Not enough screen time for Arthur, so I guess he doesn't have as much of an incentive.

Seems evident that Alexa is the test subject for Connor's regeneration formula.  I was thinking that old man was her grandfather, so it was a nice twist.  What I find odd is that Arthur didn't mention to Mary about Alexa being in the restricted area of the house.

I did like the family dynamic with Helen and the case of the week.

Was this the first episode that didn't show Pritchard in the goop?  Maybe they figured the video scene in the room when Alexa was snooping was good enough.    Although I am not sure if people care less now that it is revealed that it's Rob Kazinsky's head CGI'd onto someone else's body.  Which is strange, I could have sworn that I read an article where he said it was green screen and he was talking about how silly he feels standing up and throwing his arms out and moving them slowly and pretending that he's in the goop. 

Edited by blackwing
I was WTF at the reveal at the end that the secretary is in her 80s. There was a moment earlier when it looked like she was going to kiss the old man, and I remember thinking that didn't look right. Is Mary's rival/fuck buddy developing some fountain of youth formula? I'm intrigued.

Well, I totally missed that. I did wonder why the assistant had to "help" James to his apartment and seemed to know where it and everything else was even though Arthur kept telling her she wasn't allowed to be there. Arthur needed to be a little more direct in his warning, like shutting down all the doors and locking them so she couldn't just stroll in.

So who was the old guy?

I could have sworn that I read an article where he said it was green screen and he was talking about how silly he feels standing up and throwing his arms out and moving them slowly and pretending that he's in the goop.

He said on the posters and promos for the show, the stills, his head is P-shopped on. Not sure about the in-the-tank floating around on tv part.

Edited by saber5055

So who was the old guy?

He said on the posters and promos for the show, the stills, his head is P-shopped on. Not sure about the in-the-tank floating around on tv part.

The old guy is Alexa's husband.  He said something like "you were the most beautiful bride" and they show an old wedding photo of a young couple.  So I assume that they are married, and that she was youthened, presumably by Connor's process.

Whether Rob Kazinsky was talking about being photoshopped in the still photo promotional posters or in the scenes on the show, I find it a bit odd that they would even bother to photoshop at all.  I assumed that he (or the body double I suppose) wasn't actually floating around in goop with his eyes open, I always assumed that part was greenscreened.

• Love 1
Whether Rob Kazinsky was talking about being photoshopped in the still photo promotional posters or in the scenes on the show, I find it a bit odd that they would even bother to photoshop at all.

It's all about the ABS! (At least according to RK.) He looks great in a t-shirt, no Photoshop needed there IMO.

(edited)

I think he looks great out of one too, but then I tend to go more for thick-but-fit quarterback/rugby builds than narrow-waisted swimmer's builds. I've seen several interviews where Rob seemed worried that he used to be/still is too fat, when I'd kill to be built like he is.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1