Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E17: A Credible Threat

ahisma

So, I've been watching the episodes but haven't really felt like commenting, until now I guess.

So, of course, the obligatory romance scene that needs to be shoehorned in. This time, I guess it's with Scott/Kira. But look, Kira's not alright! Surprise! And she almost kills Scott! Again! Also, we get another random supernatural appearing to fight Kira. Have we met her before? I don't recognize her. 

Mason is 100% the Beast at this point, he really has to be. Everyone else but Cory and him were accounted for. Well, besides the other new chimeras. Hayden was with other girl who I recognize but can't remember.

So....Desert Wolf makes an appearance to....make a speech to Malia and then disappear again. Guess Marisol Nichols had a day to come pop by. And look, Malia/Stiles being teased again. Cool.

So...Parrish has been dead this whole time, apparently. The Hellhound popped into his body and has been using him. Ok. Let's pretend that they won't find out that Parrish is actually alive and they'll do everything in their power to kill/get rid of the Hellhound and save him. 

Seriously, I was thinking of how sorry I am for Chris Argent that his entire family is dead, except for the one man who should be dead. But it's nice that he's still around. 

I'm ok with Stiles taking more of a backseat, and more of a comedic relief approach this episode. Also, nice to see Lydia back to herself. 

And finally, saving the best for last: COACH. I literally did a double take when I saw Orny's name in the credits. Then I saw Coach and I got happy. Welcome back, Coach. You have been missed. 

Mason is 100% the Beast at this point,

I agree. Cory felt something when he kissed him.

Who is the blonde girl? Where are the dread doctors? go after them to find out who the beast is.

It was great seeing Coach.

Also, something I forgot to mention. Scott or Chris or someone mentioned that the Beast is getting smarter....followed by Cory telling Mason that he's very smart, and then followed by Mason figuring out the thing with the news stations. If that's not a huge foreshadow, I don't know what is...unless it's a huge red herring. In which case, I'll be happily surprised if Mason isn't the Beast. 

Desert wolf popped up to set up a future plot thread where she kidnaps Stiles. 

It was very nice to have Lydia back and fully functional. 

No Theo, which is a good thing.  I like the actor, but the character is irritating.  I think it's funny that half of his pack has already defected to Scott's. 

Also, we get another random supernatural appearing to fight Kira. Have we met her before? I don't recognize her.

I think she's the sister of the Lacrosse captain.  They're both part of Satomi's pack.

Who was the chick that Hayden was sitting next to?  She looked familiar but I couldn't place her.  This show has such a large cast of recurring characters that I need a scorecard. 

I'm finally getting to the point that I can recognize Corey without having to probe my memory.  If Mason turns out to be the Beast of [French mumble] then Corey is probably dead, since the last we saw of them was they were making out in the bus.

Who was the chick that Hayden was sitting next to?  She looked familiar but I couldn't place her.  This show has such a large cast of recurring characters that I need a scorecard. 

I'm finally getting to the point that I can recognize Corey without having to probe my memory.  If Mason turns out to be the Beast of [French mumble] then Corey is probably dead, since the last we saw of them was they were making out in the bus.

All I thought was that Hayden's friend looked a bit like Courteny Ford.

Nah, Corey's fine. After they kissed, Corey left quite quickly. Then the Beast was shown attacking, so Corey's all safe.

Edited by Lady Calypso

Okay, I'm officially too old for this show. All the making out is just getting on my nerves and I keep yelling at the screen to get on with the plot. But then again, the “plot” doesn’t make much sense at the best of times. The pile of bodies at the school wasn’t enough to cancel the game? In a town that has a curfew every other month? (Is that actually legal in the US or just Teen Wolf legal?) Also: there’s an almost naked, bleeding guy in the school library and nobody notices? Lydia was sidelined again and hasn’t improved much plot-wise or acting-wise. There were a bunch of people I felt I should know but can’t bring myself to care that I don’t. Chris must have drunk too much French wine because I swear his voice was never that deep before. The only bits I liked were Stiles being the comic relief in an earlier seasons’ throwback kind of way and I just love Corey’s power, not the character, just his power.

• Love 1
All the making out is just getting on my nerves and I keep yelling at the screen to get on with the plot.

LOL, I feel the same way, but I think for me it is the fact that we are getting the SAME 3 couples making out. It feels like 3 making out scenes that loop endlessly.

• Love 1

Hahaha, I came to comment to say the exact thing.  I feel I've become too old for this show.  I usually have zero problem with making out and other sexual scenes, but something about it on this show has become incredibly uncomfortable.  Part of it is that these characters represent high school kids and, well, it's a bit squicky.  I think I probably didn't start feeling so icked out about it until Dylan Sprayberry joined the cast, as he's actually a minor.  So I feel old and also a bit perverted.  

• Love 1

I agree. Cory felt something when he kissed him.

Actually I was wondering if Cory *smelt* something. Maybe the blood on Mason's shoes, which they didn't check. I would have thought that Mason would have checked his shoes, right? Or noticed they had blood on them? They were doing a visual inspection, not some CSI shit with lights so they were clearly expecting the blood to be completely visible. But it is possible he didn't notice and Cory smelt it. Or maybe he just used his special 'whatever he is' powers to sense something.

Okay, I'm officially too old for this show. All the making out is just getting on my nerves and I keep yelling at the screen to get on with the plot.

You know what this episode needed? A conversation with Brett about the threat and the pack and how Satomi's pack feels about it and just a discussion generally. When they had him interviewed as the opposing team, I was yelling "why aren't you telling him about the threat!" Maybe that team could have cancelled? Or forfeited? Or maybe we'd get some idea of how that pack sees themselves regarding what's going on.

Instead we have three couples hooking up in the middle of a crisis for no reason. Not only that, but there's something very very young about the actors involved (even more so than previously) so instead of being sexy it just felt creepy. I honestly felt like I was an adult at a party of 15 year olds filming their awkward make out sessions. Just skeevy.

The pile of bodies at the school wasn’t enough to cancel the game? In a town that has a curfew every other month? (Is that actually legal in the US or just Teen Wolf legal?) Also: there’s an almost naked, bleeding guy in the school library and nobody notices?

We can't cancel the game! Despite a serial killer that just murdered an entire busload of people at this school just last night.

Teen Wolf: for when suspension of disbelief is suspended in favour of disbelief.

As for Parrish - this is a school where a student barfed up an entire stomach of black tar and feathers all over the counsellor's office and nobody even blinked. Beacon Hills, people.

And once again Scott is handed an opportunity to show his eyes and assert his dominance and...doesn't. Seriously, if Noisy Eichen Guy and "Oh shit, I'm losing this fight" are the only times we ever see Scott act like an alpha werewolf, I will not be pleased.

• Love 1

And once again Scott is handed an opportunity to show his eyes and assert his dominance and...doesn't. Seriously, if Noisy Eichen Guy and "Oh shit, I'm losing this fight" are the only times we ever see Scott act like an alpha werewolf, I will not be pleased.

Three opportunities. I know that Kira isn't a werewolf but she's still pack so I have no idea why he didn't try to Alpha her. And then they had him away when the Beast of French Mumble attacked so AGAIN we didn't get to see his reaction to an Alpha. Basically, that should be Scott's instinctive response to supernatural danger, both at the beginning of the episode and during the game but especially to a member of the pack fighting. We're supposed to believe that dying changed Scott but to me he seems completely the same. And that is that he acted more like an Alpha when he was an Omega.

• Love 2

Welp, it was fun, but the logic leaps, plot holes, and forgotten canon were thick on the ground.

- Kira's dad let her keep a sword in her room, after he broke her belt sword?

- Mason's wild ass guess about transmitters went from theory to a given, immediately?

- They expect a shoe from a couple of days ago is going to show up—same shoe, not cleaned—among the fraction of the town population who comes to the game?

- The werewolves can't sniff out a bloody shoe?

- For that matter, the werewolves couldn't sniff out Parrish after Chris lost him at the school? Nor did they catch the stench from the murder bus?

- Scott and Liam also couldn't smell Parrish behind a shelf in the library?

- The Sheriff's curfew was no longer in effect, even though the Beast is still around, and a bus full of kids is dead (or at least missing)?

- The reporters weren't freaking out more about their dead transmitters?

- Players could just disappear off the field in the middle of the game?

- A team with three supernaturals couldn't play better against a team with one?

- The Desert Wolf just magically intuited that the dorky lacrosse player standing by the bleachers was important to Malia?

- Scott, once again, failed to Alpha roar one of his pack back into line?

Still, there was plenty I liked.

- Coach! Everything about him. (Including that the show actually explained his disappearance!)

- Comicrelief!Stiles

- Melissa getting smart about carrying mountain ash

- (way, way in the shallow end) Chris Argent and shirtless Parrish

- Brett and Lori—and the fact that it was obvious they had been in communication with Scott's pack and teamed up well with them

- Corey's invisibility powers—still awesome

- Hayden officially defecting to Team Scott

- The dramatic shot with Liam running up and leaping at the Beast; I hope he's okay

- No Theo

- No Dread Doctors

Edited by ahisma

- Players could just disappear off the field in the middle of the game?

With all the wackiness going on, this is the one that stuck with me the most.  Not only were all sorts of players leaving the field, their girlfriends were coming down and hanging out on the sidelines, talking to players during the game, etc.  I'm just envisioning my high school coaches' heads exploding at any of that happening.  

• Love 2
Also, we get another random supernatural appearing to fight Kira. Have we met her before? I don't recognize her.

I'm ok with Stiles taking more of a backseat, and more of a comedic relief approach this episode. Also, nice to see Lydia back to herself. 

And finally, saving the best for last: COACH. I literally did a double take when I saw Orny's name in the credits. Then I saw Coach and I got happy. Welcome back, Coach. You have been missed. 

I didn't recognize the blond girl either and was confused as well. And yes to Lydia being back to her old self. It was about damn time.

And I was so happy to see Coach back! I missed the actor and his comic relief. Does this mean he's back for good now? I really hope so.

So who the beast could be...interesting question. We obviously know it is someone we know...could be Mason. But I also thought about what if it isn't? It could be Ethan because of the two sets of DNA fact. When he transforms he might still have two sets even though his brother died. We don't know. I am eager to find out.

I think a huge part of the episode that had major character development was with Malia. She basically admitted that she still likes Stiles. He is the only one that befriended her when she was human again. He was the only one that she knew for a while and she trusted him because he wanted to make her better. She is stronger then he is when it comes to physical strength and he likes that in a strange way. But she needs his emotional strength.

Of course we didn't have any Stydia action on this episode. I personally thought that was strange. Even if it wasn't for the purpose of a relationship. It should have been for the purpose of their very strong, deepened friendship. Just from Lydia's expressions it seems like she knows she loves Stiles even if she doesn't know how she loves him yet. I am not a big fan of the Parrish plot point that is getting louder and louder in the show. It is a nice side story.

I think that Liam and Hayden's relationship is officially my favorite. They are so sweet. I can't wait to see what else happens in their relationship. They are so much like Scott and Allison in the beginning.