Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Of Men and Angels

Clary remains the weak link. Everyone else is doing fine. I do think they are cramming too much information in at once and not doing enough world building. I could have waited a longer time to find out Luke is a werewolf. The Alec/Magnus thing feels rushed. It's like they know they are speeding toward cancellation and are trying to cram in everything they can before it happens. A slow burn would be more effective and better storytelling.

I thought the flashbacks were awful. They looked really cheap and none of the actors looked like the older versions of who they were playing, it was a really poor casting choice. 

The Clary actress is definitely a weak link, and that's not helped by the bad script. I'm pretty disappointed in Domonic Sherwood too, he was like the only decent part of Vampire Academy so I expected a bit more from him. He's a bit too OTT in everything he does at the moment to the point where it's almost like a caricature. 

The episode wasn't really helped by having way too much going on, so rather than being interesting it was just boring. I feel like they should have started off slower and shown rather than told. 

I like Isabelle, and I like Alec and the Malec storyline. I thought that their last scene was actually pretty well written, and it's painfully obvious that those two actors are kind of 'the best of the bunch'. It's unfortunate that we don't get that calibre of writing and acting from other more important relationships and scenes. 

Apparently I'm slow. I'm confused about whether Alec told Mom he would do whatever thing she wanted to "redeem" the family honor, then promptly forgot and went to save Clary's friend because. Or whether the dangerous deed Mom wants is still on hold, at least until Isabelle uses sex appeal on a seelie. 

Jace/Clary is generating so little heat on my screen brother/sister doesn't feel like as much like incest as Barry/Iris on The Flash (and they are just foster siblings!)

Still wondering how Simon got rid of his handcuff bracelets. Or is he just pulling down his sleeves? I don't think these people are going to notice anything until he snaps and bites one of them in the neck.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed.  I think if I wasn't a fan of the books, I'd have given up on this already. Clary is just miscast. Lily Collins was way better, and I'm not a huge fan of hers or anything. I feel like Kat has potential if she takes some acting classes and makes an effort, but I can still see her trying to hit her marks. She is the one who most obviously looks like she's acting.  

The scripts are doing zero for character development.  I'd rather they'd focus more on that. Who cares about the missions they are going on? I don't care about the characters yet. I haven't gotten a reason to care about them yet.  I haven't been shown that Jace and Simon are in love with Clary. I've been told. The guy playing Simon is doing a pretty good job of convincing me of his unrequited crush, but I haven't seen any reason for him to have a crush on her. Show me why she's special to him. They're best friends, but I have yet to see much that shows that. I don't see anything all that compelling about Clary.

I fear this is destined for cancellation, unless they can have Magnus create a glamour for Clary that goes awry and becomes permanent, thus allowing her to be replaced by a better actress.

• Love 1
Apparently I'm slow. I'm confused about whether Alec told Mom he would do whatever thing she wanted to "redeem" the family honor, then promptly forgot and went to save Clary's friend because. Or whether the dangerous deed Mom wants is still on hold, at least until Isabelle uses sex appeal on a seelie.

After Izzy told Alec that their parents' plan was to marry him off, he had the "screw all of this" reaction and that's when/why he went to save Luke. You might have been distracted by his biceps in that scene though, I know I was. ;)

I don't know if I can say this was my favorite episode so far, because I don't care about any of flashbacks (although I'm still laughing at Clary asking Luke if she's her father LOL) but I loooved all the stuff with Izzy and Alec. It'll be interesting to see the role reversal going on with them, with Alec being the one who's ~rebelling now and Izzy doing the opposite. Also I watched that Alec/Magnus scene a ridiculous amount of times and they continue to be by far my favorite part of the show.

I haven't been shown that Jace and Simon are in love with Clary. I've been told. The guy playing Simon is doing a pretty good job of convincing me of his unrequited crush, but I haven't seen any reason for him to have a crush on her. Show me why she's special to him. They're best friends, but I have yet to see much that shows that.

I'm not yet totally feeling it between Clary and Jace though I see glimpses (the scene in the graveyard). The whole series is driven by this relationship so it needs to work IMO.

I definitely see the unrequited love on the part of Simon. but I too am having a hard time feeling the close friendship between the two.

There are things I like. Alec is a cutie pie. I liked the scene between him and Magnus. If anything saves this show until it gets on it's feet, it'll be this. Very very good acting by these two. Best actors in the series IMO.

I read Matthew Daddario (Alec) auditioned for Jace. I actually think he would have been a better choice only because I see more spark and chemistry between him and clary (just in his dislike towards Clary and her reaction towards that). It's not romantic but if he'd been playing Jace, I think it would come off better. Not knocking the guy playing Jace as I think he's doing a good job, there should just be more spark/chemistry between him and Clary.

I really hope the show gets better because while I do like it, I want to love it.

Edited by MzLiz
  • Love 1

I was afraid of a flashback heavy episode, but enough happened outside of them to keep my interest.

I liked both Alec and Izzy's reaction to Max coming home, so cute. Alec pretty much won this episode, his scenes with Magnus, Izzy and Clary were all good. Except his scene with Maryse, that was weird. All scenes with the Lightwood parents were a bit weird. Why give Izzy a cookbook if she can't cook? Why marry off Alec? Surely a few unsanctioned missions aren't enough to justify that?!

Magnus calling Simon & Jace Clary's boytoys ahah I laughed.

I did feel some chemistry between Jace and Clary in their scene at the end. I was a bit thrown when Simon left Jace the 20 bucks, took me a few seconds to realize he was paying the bet. I hope they don't drag his inevitable transformation to a vampire until the end of the season, it already feels like it's been forever that he's transitioning.

At least now they know where the cup is.

• Love 1

After Izzy told Alec that their parents' plan was to marry him off, he had the "screw all of this" reaction and that's when/why he went to save Luke. You might have been distracted by his biceps in that scene though, I know I was. ;)

I don't know if I can say this was my favorite episode so far, because I don't care about any of flashbacks (although I'm still laughing at Clary asking Luke if she's her father LOL) but I loooved all the stuff with Izzy and Alec. It'll be interesting to see the role reversal going on with them, with Alec being the one who's ~rebelling now and Izzy doing the opposite. Also I watched that Alec/Magnus scene a ridiculous amount of times and they continue to be by far my favorite part of the show.

Thanks for the effort to enlighten me. Now I'm so baffled as to how that helps the Lightwoods' "honor" I'm still lost, but that's in spite of your help.

It's hard for me to watch the lead character, partially because she is not great, but also because anytime anyone says "Clary", I flashback to Steel Magnolias (yes, I'm dating myself).

Loved the Magnus/Alec scene. I would totally watch a spinoff of their adventures.

Why give Izzy a cookbook if she can't cook?

That was a call back to the remark Alec made about Izzy's cooking when Simon was in the Institute.  I found it cute.  I missed the original bet made, because I was confused about why Simon put the money on the chair.

Can anybody explain to me how Alphas become Alphas by challenging and fighting the existing Alpha - but in doing so they die because Alpha injuries are fatal? How are there ever any Alphas? Or is this like a Warlock's main source of income?

In most werewolf folklore, once the challenger becomes Alpha, the increased power should help the new Alpha heal quickly from the wounds of the fight.  Or the poison was just an excuse to shoehorn Magnus into the scene.  

Oh, the latter definitely. It's just the way they did it made absolutely no sense. Luke is the Alpha now. There's no way he's dying from an Alpha bite. Surely there must have been a more coherent way to get what they wanted out of this episode that didn't involve them introducing werewolf lore that's completely nonsensical.