Type keyword(s) to search

American Ninja Warrior: Ninja vs. Ninja - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Onto Episode 2!

Dark Horse (Lance Pekus, Karson Voiles, Tammy McClure) vs. Midwest Muscle (Tyler Yamauchi, Ethan Swanson, Kirsti Pratt)

Karson (captain of Karsonic Boom in TNW1) kicks things off by beating Ethan (aka "The Swan"). Tammy wipes out to give Kirsti (who beat Jessie Graff last season) the win, but she cleared the Warped Wall anyway. It kinda bugs me . . . I'm not making a huge deal out of that, but I fear injury and/or humiliation. In a battle of captains, Cowboy Ninja beats the "Muscle Ball" to give Dark Horse a 2-1 lead. Midwest Muscle forces a fifth heat by winning the relay, but Dark Horse takes the second relay to win 3-2.

Labreckfast Club (Jesse Labreck, Chris Digangi, Jon Alexis, Jr.) vs. Team Tarzan (Ben Melick, Travis Weinand, Emmi Rose)

It's basically all Labreckfast. Chris (Jesse's boyfriend) beats Travis by completing the course. Emmi tried to hang with Jesse, but she ultimately wipes out, and Jesse scales the Wall. Jon completes the sweep as Ben wipes out. Jon completes the course anyway, probably trying to bounce back from a mediocre show in the last TNW.

Final: Dark Horse vs. Labreckfast Club

The turning point came down to Karson making a huge mistake. He was running neck-and-neck with Chris through the extended course. After completing the final obstacle, he dove for the blue light on the platform. That was not the buzzer, and Chris completes his run before Karson can correctly hit the buzzer above his head. Jesse easily beats out Tammy, as she wipes out on Salmon Ladder. In another nailbiter, Jon gasses out on the back end of the course, but he has enough left in the tank to beat Lance to the buzzer for the second sweep. Has Akbar ever used the phrase "Fee-Fie-Foe-Step!!" to describe Jon's running? Wouldn't be surprised if he's done that already.

Next week: Jake Murray! Karsten Williams! Barclay Stockett! Also: Olympians and the Brazi Bros!

Edited by Lantern7

I felt sorry for Karson making such a huge mistake.  He's probably still kicking himself.  I'm glad Jon and Jesse are moving on though.  

I think I liked the original set up better but I can't quite put my finger on why.  I mean the physical set up, not the scoring.  It seems less like the ninjas are having fun this year.

I'm glad they brought Alex Curry back.  I like her a lot and I don't care for the blonde on the regular show - Christine?  She always sounds less than sincere and like she's reciting lines whereas Alex seems to be enjoying it all.

• Love 1

I found it strange that the format was different for episodes 1&2. In episode 1, they only had the extended course for the relay in the playoff. But in the second episode, they had the extended course for all three individual races in the playoff. This was super strange. I did like that they changed the courses up a little. 

I'm glad the show is back but I'm a touch disappointed there's no Jessie Graff - what's up with that?! - and that they aren't running in the daytime this year.  I really liked that change in aesthetic.

On 3/10/2018 at 12:03 AM, mlp said:

I felt sorry for Karson making such a huge mistake.  He's probably still kicking himself.  I'm glad Jon and Jesse are moving on though. 

It was an honest mistake, and the stakes aren’t bigger than bragging rights at this point.

On 3/11/2018 at 5:43 PM, healthnut said:

I found it strange that the format was different for episodes 1&2. In episode 1, they only had the extended course for the relay in the playoff. But in the second episode, they had the extended course for all three individual races in the playoff. This was super strange. I did like that they changed the courses up a little. 

In the first episode, there were wipeouts in the first three heats, so those that won those heats did not need to run beyond the Warped Wall.

8 hours ago, derriere said:

I'm glad the show is back but I'm a touch disappointed there's no Jessie Graff - what's up with that?! - and that they aren't running in the daytime this year.  I really liked that change in aesthetic.

I’m guessing that it’s more about not risking injury for Jessie, as opposed to ego. “In case you’re just joining us, Jessie Graff has suffered a serious injury.” “I see you, Jessie! I see those bones sticking out of your leg!!!”

ETA: I posted edits on an iPad, and I had to clean up those mistakes, but that's no real excuse. Apologies if I confused anybody reading this.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
On 3/12/2018 at 9:33 AM, derriere said:

As much as I would LOVE to see Jessie run against Allysa Beird (THAT would be a race I would pay to see). Ninja vs Ninja really is off season bragging rights and Jessie has no need to brag plus she has had injuries and has never really been incredibly successful in the races.  

I was excited to see a tall girl (5'9") on here. "YAAASSS! Represent!" I said. Oof. Girl did NOT represent. Although I firmly believe this is not a tall woman's game. Once a gal gets above about 130 lb, it's really hard for our upper body strength to get great enough to haul us around.

• Love 2

Last night had lots of complications for me, so I had to use the DVR.

Party Time (Brian Arnold, Barclay Stockett, Jake Murray) vs. Brazi Bros (Alexio & Lucas Gomes, Brittany Reid)

We start with an upset, as Alexio winds up beating Brian to the buzzer by four-tenths of a second. At first glance, it looked like he missed it, but he got enough of his hand on it to get the win. And that is the low point of the night for Party Time. Barclay wins her heat as Brittany splashes down, Jake beats Lucas, and Party Time wins the relay as Alexio (running the second leg) wipes out trying to clear Tilting Ladder. Brian probably didn't need the five-second penalty as he clears the Warped Wall to clinch the win.

All-American Ninjas (Paul Hamm, April Steiner Bennett, Jonathan Horton) vs. Karsten's Fast Kats (Kevin Klein, Lauren Keen, Karsten Williams)

Of course, nobody really brings up that Paul compete on Sasuke several times, including the one where he cleared Stage Two, but forgot to hit the buzzer. Kevin defeats him, and Matt & Akbar keep talking about how he beat the greatest American gymnast. The guy's last Sasuke was in 2005, and NBC didn't air his failed run in 2016. April vs. Lauren gets the While We Were Away treatment, with April wiping out on Monkey Bars. And then came back-to-back shocks. First, Karsten wipes out on Tilit Ladder, and Jonathan gets the win for clearing that. In the relay, Karsten (running anchor) doesn't clear the Monkey Bars, and he is really pissed off about it. Jonathan clears the obstacle to give AAN the upset.

Party Time vs. All-American Ninjas

It's all Party Time. Brian leads Paul handily as he wipes out on Rumbling Dice. Afterward, Brian interviews that Paul is his hero. He probably means Sasuke, but it isn't specifically mentioned. Barclay (who is dubbed "Sparkly Ninja," which  . . . since when?!?) and April clear the Warped Wall, but both are very fatigued. April falls from Salmon Ladder, giving Party Time a 2-0 lead. Jonathan can't get the momentum from his upset, as he struggles with Tilting Ladder and splashes down on the Floating TIles, though he's able to "save it." I use quotation marks, because Jake was so far in the lead, it would have taken a massive fail to force a relay. But the eccentric ninja -- no doubt trying to redeem himself for ANW9, which no one talked about) -- gets the win by a large margin, completing the shutout.

Next week: Ian Dory and his Wolf Pack and David Campbell (The Godfather!!) make their runs toward glory.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

Thanks for the recap, Lantern7.  I was surprised when they gave the win to Alexio because it looked to me like he just brushed the side of it rather than actually pressing it.  Guess it was more than I could tell.

Isn't Karsten the guy with the goofy mother who goes nuts on the sidelines?  I didn't notice that she was there.  Probably just as well considering.

• Love 1
On 3/16/2018 at 6:33 PM, Lantern7 said:

Of course, nobody really brings up that Paul compete on Sasuke several times, including the one where he cleared Stage Two, but forgot to hit the buzzer.

This was so annoying to me. But then they didn’t bother to mention Party Time won Team Ninja Warrior two years ago.  

4 hours ago, healthnut said:

This was so annoying to me. But then they didn’t bother to mention Party Time won Team Ninja Warrior two years ago.  

Well, that was the first season, and we're on the third (discounting College Madness). And then I looked up Wikipedia and found that all three members of Storm Team (Joe Moravsky, Josh Levin, Allyssa Beird) aren't on this season. So perhaps we should point out Brian and Jake still excelling . .. at least this season.

• Love 1

I felt badly for Karsten.  I like Jonathan Horton a lot, but I thought the final would have been a lot more interesting if Karsten's team had made the finals, rather than the Olympians.

Love Barclay Stockett.  I'm wondering how much her height will limit her, but she is just an outstanding athlete and in such great shape.  I can't wait to see how she does this season.

• Love 1

Fun episode with a surprising team advancing.

NorCal Ninjas (David Campbell, Anna Schmaker, Brian Kretsch) vs. Young Bloods (Tyler Gillett, Bree Widener, Kevin Carbone)

Things get physical right away, as Brian and Kevin ("The Maker"; inventor of the Wing Nuts) spar on the Ring Toss, with Brian smacking into Kevin and Kevin taking it. Kevin's stubbornness pays off, as Brian splashes from the Flying Shelf Grab. Bree (the horror makeup lady) completes to course, beating Anna and giving Young Bloods a 2-0 lead. Anna had the lead, but she had gotten her feet wet, and she elected to scale the Warped Wall barefoot, which did not work. With his team on the ropes, The Godfather clears the course to narrow the lead to 2-1. The subsequent relay comes down to a photo finish, as Tyler beats Brian to the buzzer with 0.02 seconds' difference, giving Young Bloods the surprise win.

Team Wolf Pack (Ian Dory, Dan Yager, Jeri D'Aurelio) vs, Tre Amigoz (Tremay Dortsch, Andrew Lowes, Meghan Beatty)

Andrew beats Ian for the surprise in a bit of a shocker. Meghan splashes off Shelf Grab with Jeri in front of her, which evens the score. Dan leads Tremayne when the latter splashes on a all-or-nothing lunge on the Shelf Grab. The relay comes down to a showdown between Ian and Tremayne. Both fail to clear the Warped Wall on the first try. Ian manages to win by two-thirds of a second, as Tremayne misses the buzzer, giving Wolf Pack the win.

Final: Team Wolf Pack vs. Young Bloods

Both Dan and Kevin gas out, but they manage to complete the extended course, with Kevin getting the win. Jeri leads most of her heat, but she gets her feet wet twice. Rushing to Shelf Grab, she skids off the trampoline and into the water. Bree clears the obstacle to give the upstarts a 2-0 lead.  Ian and Tyler run neck-and-neck, but Ian slows on the Rumbling Dice, and Tyler wins to give the Young Bloods the unexpected sweep.

Net week: Grant "Island Ninja" McCartney! Thomas "Genie Ninja" Stillings! The Towers of Power! Jessica Clayton! I had to look the last face up.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

Kevin reminds me a bit of Daniel Gil when he first showed up as a rookie and blew everyone away.  He's clearly one to watch.

I always feel for poor Tremayne.  He seems like a really nice guy and, over the years, he's had more than his share of close calls and errors and disappointments.  I hope he does well in the regular competition this year.

I'm an episode behind, but I had thoughts about the last one.

First, I thought the "Brazi Sis" was treated as an afterthought.  Her bio was about going to Oktoberfest not about her training or linking her in any way to the Bros. 

Then, I didn't think it was right that the second set of women were shorted like that.

But all in all, a fun ep,  with a LOT of runs neck-in-neck, especially Alexio vs Brian, which came down to 4/10s of a second.  But why don't they fix the buzzer so the first one hit lights up and locks out the second? 

• Love 2

The latest episode was FUN!  Lots of really close races and upsets.  Best moment of the night was when Young Bloods beat Wolf Pack (3-0!!!!)  "Scary" Meghan Beatty (tiny as she is) was awesome on the course.

If you don't like physical contact between the ninjas, stay away -- virtually every run of the Ring Toss involved one ninja blocking another and at one point one elbowed the other a bit.

(edited)
7 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Ugh, I cannot stand Natalie Duran. 

Me too.  There is something about her that just gets me riled up.  Ugh.  

But I love Grant McCartney.  He seems like a genuine guy and, what a doll.  I was rooting for him and Craver.  It's just a shame Natalie had to win also.

I'm sorry for Brandon Mears and I hope his son is ok.  However, I dislike the "Towers of Power" schtick and I'm thrilled I don't have to watch their bro-ing around on this show.  They tried to humanize thwmselves last ANW season and it fell on my deaf ears.  Felt like they knew the bromance was annoying to the audience and had to change their characters.  It felt cheap.  Heck, I might not like the whole TOP thing but, if that is who you are, be it and be proud.  I'd respect them more as authentic Bros rather than fake sensitive men.

Seemed interesting to me that Stillings opened a gym and now has enough clientele to NOT work the gym but put his team into the business end. Most of the ninjas who open gyms are the opposite.  They kill thselves to get out of the office and onto the gym floor.   Hey, whatever makes him happy, it just stuck out to me.  And, he's only 23?  That is impressive.

Edited by Destiny74

Last week, I wrote out the matches .. . . and promptly lost the paper. I would find it, but I didn't feel like writing about Golden Hearts' epic comeback. Also, I feel each team should have one male and female sub warming up at all times, as opposed to going to the Substitute Pool and having someone run cold.

This week: Lab Rats (Michelle Warnky & the Wilczewski Brothers) go back and forth with the Big Dog Ninjas (Jodi Avalia, Brandi Monteverde, Josh Salinas), and we need five runs for the Rats to win. Highlight was probably Michelle completing her run, then encouraging Brandi to scale the Warped Wall.

Next, we move to the Acquired Taste match between the teams of Lorin Ball (The Ballers) and Brent Steffensen (Team Alpha). Actually, we don't hate Lorin that much, do we? I mean, he hasn't won as many fans as Flip, but we don't despise the guy. Anyway, it's mostly Ballers; Lorin beats Brent (splash on Floating Tiles), Meiling Wong defeats Sydney "I Am Many Things, But Not Kacy Catenaro" Olson (I know, not being fair, but that's where my mind went). David Yarter forces a Relay by beating Paul Kasmier, but the Ballers win the Relay, mostly thanks to Sydney splashing and incurring a penalty.

In the final, it's a rout for Lab Rats. After going to full five in the first match, they sweep the Ballers to advance. Chris easily beats Lorin (has he ever done Stage Two in his career? He looked winded at the end of his run), Michelle beats Meling (splash on Floating Tiles), and Brian completes the course as Paul has mishap after mishap happen.

Next week: Monday at 11 after wrestling. Greeeeeeeeeat. Anyway, we'll have Daniel Gil, Magi Thorne, and Kevin Bull. Also Abel Gonzalez, but does anybody get worked up over him?

• Love 1

Next week the show is on Monday instead of Thursday?  I changed the channel before the preview so I missed it if that was announced.

I like Michelle and the W brothers so I was glad they won.  (not even going to try to spell that last name)

When did Brent do that run disguised as an old man?  I have watched every show for years and I don't remember that at all.

On 3/31/2018 at 3:03 PM, ClareWalks said:

Ugh, I cannot stand Natalie Duran. 

Just from this episode, I can't see why?  I thought she was fun and funny and belonged on the Golden Hearts.

A full 5 races to determine the winner -- whoo.  That was pretty awesome.  And when both men fell at the same time, evening things up -- that was cool.

On 4/5/2018 at 8:22 PM, Lantern7 said:

I feel each team should have one male and female sub warming up at all times, as opposed to going to the Substitute Pool and having someone run cold.

I think they do stayed warmed up, but come i "cold" to the course itself.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Just from this episode, I can't see why?  I thought she was fun and funny and belonged on the Golden Hearts.

My dislike of her originated with her debut on the show. She is one of those "look at me" YouTubers that I generally dislike.

3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

My dislike of her originated with her debut on the show. She is one of those "look at me" YouTubers that I generally dislike.

Ditto.  I took a dislike to her a few ANW seasons ago.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Different strokes for different folks.  I don't see her "look at me" any worse (and a lot better) than some of the more popular ninjas, like Craver.

Oh I can't stand him either (which makes it hard for me to root for the Golden Hearts even though I like Grant)

• Love 1

Like I’ve said, I’m okay with most “ninjas.” Neil Craver wants to play up “Crazy”? More power to him. Brett is slightly different; all I remember is Kacy completing the regional finals course, and him climbing up the side to congratulate his then-girlfriend. Didn’t take away from what Kacy achieved, but I felt it was not a good look.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Brett is slightly different; all I remember is Kacy completing the regional finals course, and him climbing up the side to congratulate his then-girlfriend. Didn’t take away from what Kacy achieved, but I felt it was not a good look.

That was so annoying. I thought he was going to at least propose or something, but no, he was just showing off.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

AS long as you don't diss Ms Graf, we're cool!

Jessie Graf is my number one favorite ninja, the wind beneath my wings, my Amazon goddess inspiration! I think of her when I do my grip strength workouts :)

• Love 1
11 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Jessie Graf is my number one favorite ninja, the wind beneath my wings, my Amazon goddess inspiration! I think of her when I do my grip strength workouts :)

Cool!

Watching last night's episode. Wow. I don't think I knew any of the Lizard Kings, and they beat The Invincibulls, 3-1. That's Kevin Bull's team. A course tester beat him in the first heat. The fecking hell?!?

Wow . . . 19-year-old just won a heat for the InvinciAbels. And I forgot Abel got to Stage Three in ANW.

Of course, the ladies' heat gets the WWWA treatment. And Tiana Webberly splashed down to put Iron Grip in a 2-0 hole. Did she choose to leave Flip and JJ at Team Ronin, or was she convinced to leave? (ETA: I lost track of the score; it was really 1-1)

Dang, Daniel Gil got flooded by the flooding in Texas. Some backstory for the upcoming season. And, of course, he's awesome and optimistic. Why don't I root for him to break something? He's that athletic and pretty.

Daniel forces a relay. I don't think anybody would've bet on the underdogs meeting in the final.

Iron Grip prevails. Sanity is partially restored.

Daniel Gil's protege loses the lead wiping his shoes. The kid's 19. He'll probably make Vegas.

Holy shit . . . . grappling on the pegs by the women, followed by a double splashdown. Lizard Kings up, 2-0. I'm not looking at the time remaining so I can be surprised.

Kyle Soderman is no fluke. It took Daniel everything to fend him off. Off to the relay. Can Iron Grip follow the Golden Hearts?

Double splashes for Lizard Kings. TRIPLE SPLASH. Looks like their power-up just expired. Going to a knockout relay.

Annnnnnnndd Iron Grip advances. Daniel runs (and wins) three times in a row. He might need to go into a mild coma before the next round.

Next week: Travis Rosen! Najee "The Phoenix" Richardson! Eskimo Ninja! Zhanique!! Is she the one with the dancing kid?

Oh, and remember to set the DVR to end recording fifteen minutes later. WWE had to run through 11:05. I know, they're coming off their holiest holiday, but I want ninja action, dammit.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

OMG! I freaking love this show! I’m not sure why I’ve never watched it before this season, as I’ve been a NW fan for the past 3 or 4 years (can’t remember - but my first season was when Isaac Caldiero made it all the way). 

Anyway, Daniel Gil is one of my top 5 favorite ninjas, so I was holding my breath for about the last 15 minutes lol. I’m so glad they pulled through.

It doesn’t seem to me that those two footed giant hops across the skipping tiles (or whatever they are called) is the best way to go. Too easy to miss and/or slip off and get wet! 

Excited for next week, I love Najee Richardson! 

Edited by srpturtle80
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Zhanique!! Is she the one with the dancing kid?

Yep.  I remember thinking, "That kid is going to biff and take a header on that concrete.  Someone needs to stop him before he gets hurt and ANW gets sued."

I LOVED this episode!!!!!!   These are the nail biters I have been hoping for all season.  I was super impressed with the rookie team.  They will be ones to watch during the regular season.  Especially that Kyle guy and The Kid.  Very impressive.  I like Kevin Bull but those newbies were awesome.

I love Daniel Gil but I was kinda rooting for the rookies.  That last run was awesome.  The Lizard almost caught Daniel there at the end.

Looking forward to next week.  I really like the Eskimo Ninja and Najee Richardson.  Najee is a super impressive young man.  He owned the "new" obstacle (the one The Creator came up with - can't remember the name) last year and was one of the few who actually passed it in Stage 2.

I found it funny that Daniel Gil said the new class of Warriors coming up are ones to watch.  I know he was referencing The Kid but The Lizard would fall into that category also but is 4 years older than Gil.  That made me chuckle.  Besides the fact that he was a newbie only 2 years ago.  Now he just an old foggie.

I love Daniel Gil.  He's definitely one of the best ever and he seems so nice.  He always praises his team members and he never brags or talks smack.  I tend to forget how young he is.   Speaking of age.................... I was surprised to see a 19 y/o.  I thought they had to be 21.  ??

I wonder how much time elapses between runs.  It looks like the segments are one right after another but ninjas who fall in the water are always dry before the next run.  I know they can change clothes quickly but they never seem to have wet hair either.

Travis Rosen is one of my all time favorites so I'm looking forward to seeing him next week.

Meh.  I'm kind of over this show.  First of all, it's on too late and the rebroadcasts are being shown at ridiculous hours.  Plus, for the second week in a row, it started late.  I was also disappointed in the outcome.  While I really like Najee Richardson, I thought the other team deserved to win more - their female competitor was clearly superior and they were much more of a team.  It just seems ridiculous that one of your team members can only get through an obstacle once and your team can go on.  

Frankly, if they're going to do a "sudden death" relay, I think one of the competitors falling off the course should end the run.  Or maybe just having two competitors do the extended course again, instead of yet another relay just like the one we just saw.  

I think there are too many teams this year, honestly.  The qualifying season seems to be taking forever. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SophiaD said:

I think there are too many teams this year, honestly.  The qualifying season seems to be taking forever. 

Yeah, Matt and Akbar said something about "moving on to the Sweet Sixteen" and I am just horrified by the idea that there are SIXTEEN first-round episodes. Is that accurate? This is taking waaaaay too long. It also feels super repetitive because they only have a few differences in the courses and the extended course is always the same.

The one really good thing about this is that they are highlighting every ninja, and it's a good showcase for the speed demons. Then again it would be a terrible format for some really great ninjas who just aren't fast, like Jessie Graf (as we saw last season, I believe - she wasn't great at it, don't know if she's coming back this season). 

• Love 1

I'm not over the show because I love ANW but I agree that it's on too late and I don't like the changes from previous seasons.  ANW is something whole families can enjoy.  Last night it didn't start until almost 10:15 CDT which is way too late for people who have to get up early for work and for kids who have to get up for school.  I guess they could all tape it but still..............

I enjoyed the atmosphere a lot more when it was run in daylight without the special effects.  It seemed more relaxed and like the participants were having more fun which made it more fun for me to watch.  

One thing I do like a lot better is seeing Alex Curry on the sidelines.  She always sounds happy to be there and sincere when she talks to the ninjas whereas the blonde on the main show always sounds like she's playing a part.

• Love 2

Once again, I push the DVR past fifteen minutes, because wrestleheads need their fix so bad. Takes me make to waiting for that to end so I could watch The Joe Schmo Show.

Does ANW drug test at all? Has Najee been tested? I don't think he's on PEDs, but I also don't think he's human. If he breaks his leg, I'm half-convinced he'd burst into flames like an actual phoenix and win the match. This week fire beats frost. Biggest disappointment: Zhanique's kid wasn't there. I guess the kid only shows for "regular" ANW.

Not sure how the next round works out. Thirty-six teams equals nine teams making the next round . . . but we'd have seven wild cards? That would mean four more episodes. On the bright side, that would lead to four teams and one finale, as opposed to one team cooling their heels, waiting for an opponent to face in the final match.

Edited by Lantern7

Wow, I thought that was awesome!

Najee is INSANE. I can’t believe how quickly he got through that zig zag climb. Cassie on his team sure is the weak link. I hope she can get her stuff together or they aren’t long for the next round. 

I also really like Nick Hansen so I was sad his team had to lose. Zhanique was an absolute beast; I am looking forward to her ninja season.  All in all their team was stronger but since Najee can basically fly...

• Love 1

Final first-round matches, and TriHands TriForce Tri Hards make it to the next stage. Sean Bryan and his team had to work for it, though. Sloppy running all around, which explains how Wisco Warriors (mostly rookies) beat Jamie Rahn's Superhero Squad. Hazard Brigade pushed Tri Hards, and Mike Bernado beat "Papal Ninja" when he had a mistake on the course. Seriously, though, this episode was not a good example of competition.

Seriously, how does the next round work? Nine teams advanced, and I think eight are going into the wild card round, so we'd win up with eleven altogether. Am I missing something?

ETA: Last season, Sean was a substitute. That still tickles me. He made Stage Three in ANW, and he was a filler.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
(edited)

Didn't keep notes on the latest episode.

*deep breath*

They were nine episodes, each one with a winning team advancing to the next round. The series broke out a wild card round. The obvious participants were the nine runner-up teams. For a Round of 16, there would be seven open slots. That means five teams that lost their opening heats got invites. Basically, the wild card stage means seven head-to-head matches, with the winners advancing. There were three this week, so I'm guessing the last four air next week. All matches are first heat-based . . . last obstacle is the Warped Wall.

Checking the ANWN website .  . . teams advancing were Lizard Kings (four runs vs. Midwest Muscle), Frostbite (four vs. All-American Ninjas)(seriously? Those guys??) and NorCal Ninjas (coming back from 2-0 to beat Dark Horse).

ETA: I'm assuming we'll have five more episodes after next week; four to determine the final teams, followed by the finle.

Edited by Lantern7

Watched on DVR. Wasn't playing rapt attention. I do question the obstacles where confrontation can be unavoidable, like the single pole that finishes Ring Swing. The first race had two guys crammed together, and Mike Needham (Hazard Brigade) wound up in the water. He was first to the obstacle, so I as wondering why he just didn't grab Dan Yager and send them both into the eater. Probably against the rules.

Anyway, Team Wolfpack wipes out Hazard Brigade (3-0), Beast From The East needed four heats to defeat Wisco Warriors, Hashtag Ninjas sweep Big Dog Ninjas, and The Ballers beat Three Wishes in four.

Idea for the next season: how about "announcing" the brackets live? Or at least live online? My guess that the teams are separated into four tiers, and one team per tier is put into each episode. A selection show wouldn't work, because a lot of these teams are set in their groups and gimmicks.

(edited)

Anybody else watching? There’s no new episode tonight. I’ve just been putting off commenting on the episodes. I think Iron Grip advanced to the finals last week.

Edited by Lantern7

I've been watching.  I was a bit conflicted during the last runs because I like Grant and Neil but Daniel Gil is one of my two top favorites (the other being Travis Rosen) so I was happy when his team won and moved on.  

I didn't see any explanation for the show not being shown tonight.  This has to be the longest "season" ever.

• Love 1