Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Breadstix

Cranberry

But Rachel's not in the wrong for doing it.  Mercedes rightfully didn't like it, but Rachel didn't do anything wrong.  Mercedes was also kind of awful when she whined about "why does everyone not want to hurt Rachel's feelings."  She was implying Rachel wasn't as good and it's a categorically untrue statement to say nobody tries to hurt Rachel's feelings.  Ignoring your own personal preference of who is better, Mercedes was being pretty condescending to Rachel as well.  I just don't think either of them were really wrong in these situation, and it's a false equivalency to try and compare the presidency stuff to the WSS stuff.

Rachel was wrong in the beginning but came around.  You don't give her credit for that.  Also, how do you compare real-life productions to Glee though?  They still proceeded without an understudy anyway after Santana dropped out.  Also, you don't audition for an understudy unless something had gone wrong that late in the production anyway.  The whole thing made little sense in real life so the real professional stuff is really hard to take into consideration.

I think Santana was in the wrong to start, and they both had a part in escalating it.  That fight in the dressing room is one of my favorite scenes ever though.  Rachel's Showgirls and Ghost Fanny line was pretty epic.

I don't think it was condescending or whining for Mercedes to say that people didn't seems to want to do anything to hurt Rachel's feelings. She said it because they allowed Rachel to do the show schedule without telling her that the scheduling was unfair to Mercedes. Therefore, Mercedes assumed that it was because they didn't want to hurt her feelings. That's the way she saw things, it doesn't mean she was right.

And they did have an understudy after Santana dropped out. When the understudy fall of the stage, that's when Santana took over. But you are right, the writing was really unrealistic in this whole thing.

I don't think it was condescending or whining for Mercedes to say that people didn't seems to want to do anything to hurt Rachel's feelings. She said it because they allowed Rachel to do the show schedule without telling her that the scheduling was unfair to Mercedes. Therefore, Mercedes assumed that it was because they didn't want to hurt her feelings. That's the way she saw things, it doesn't mean she was right.

The scheduling wasn't unfair to Mercedes though.  That comment was made after they both got 4 evenings and 2 matinees.  Mercedes was objecting to double-casting period.  I mean if one says Rachel was being condescending so was Mercedes, and she was further implying that she thought Rachel wasn't as good, which of course is probably her belief.  However, it's still an insulting statement to make.  It'd be the same if Rachel said that to Mercedes.  

And they did have an understudy after Santana dropped out. When the understudy fall of the stage, that's when Santana took over. But you are right, the writing was really unrealistic in this whole thing.

Oh you're right.  I forgot about that.  I really hated the Funny Girl/TV audition plot so I didn't pay close attention.  Either way, the whole process made no sense, and a real-life production wouldn't have cast Rachel in the role in the first place.

Edited by dizzyizzy01

But Rachel's not in the wrong for doing it.  Mercedes rightfully didn't like it, but Rachel didn't do anything wrong.  Mercedes was also kind of awful when she whined about "why does everyone not want to hurt Rachel's feelings."  She was implying Rachel wasn't as good and it's a categorically untrue statement to say nobody tries to hurt Rachel's feelings.  Ignoring your own personal preference of who is better, Mercedes was being pretty condescending to Rachel as well.  I just don't think either of them were really wrong in these situation, and it's a false equivalency to try and compare the presidency stuff to the WSS stuff.

I thought the way it was written that it did come over that, to me anyway, that Mercedes was seen as being better and probably should win the part and they were trying accommodate Rachel. Or instead of the bold choice, Rachel was a safe pair of hands. It just never felt that it was written like these two girls were so good no-one could choose between them. I felt like they showed Mercedes was better, and had proven she should win the part, but they wouldn't let Rachel lose.

Of course it could be that was what was meant and the writing was just bad.

But Rachel's not in the wrong for doing it.  Mercedes rightfully didn't like it, but Rachel didn't do anything wrong.
The scheduling wasn't unfair to Mercedes though.  That comment was made after they both got 4 evenings and 2 matinees.

I think she was just as I would think Mercedes was wrong if she proposed that as a "compromise."   That wasn't a compromise no matter what Rachel said.  It was Rachel saying I am the star and you will get the leftovers which shows Rachel didn't acknowledge that they both were the leads and therefore they both should have been sharing the premium shows.  

As for the scheduling it appeared unfair to me because, while the directors gave them both 4 evening performance and 2 matinees, they certainly didn't specify that meant they would be sharing the premium shows, something I feel they needed to make absolutely clear given Rachel's initial assumptions about who would be getting what shows.  

In other words, given what had already transpired, the directors needed to make it absolutely clear this would be a shared role in every way - including an even split of the premium performances.  That is why I think Mercedes reacted with no one wants to hurt Rachel's feelings.  It was an exaggeration to say no one ever wanted to hurt her feelings but I don't think it was an exaggeration to say that in this instance the directors seemed to be treating her with kid gloves.

Rachel was wrong in the beginning but came around.  You don't give her credit for that.

I acknowledged she grudgingly came around.  I still think her first reaction about having an understudy at all should have been enough for the director and producers to replace her post haste.  It was unprofessional to the extreme no matter who became her understudy.  

To be absolutely clear I think Santana was the one more wrong in the Santana/Rachel argument and I think Rachel was the one completely wrong in the whole fit she threw about having an understudy at all.  The production team of "Funny Girl" were idiots to not see that as a huge neon sign that Rachel was neither mature nor professional enough to handle the responsibility of being a lead in a Broadway show.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

I acknowledged she grudgingly came around.  I still think her first reaction about having an understudy at all should have been enough for the director and producers to replace her post haste.  It was unprofessional to the extreme no matter who became her understudy.  

To be absolutely clear I think Santana was the one more wrong in the Santana/Rachel argument and I think Rachel was the one completely wrong in the whole fit she threw about having an understudy at all.  The production team of "Funny Girl" were idiots to not see that a huge neon sign that Rachel was neither mature nor professional enough to handle the responsibility of being a lead in a Broadway show.

I actually hoped that was where that storyline was going, and I suppose it kind of did. But I think it would've been really good to see onscreen that talent and luck isn't all you need to get a career in the arts. It's not just with Rachel, but Mercedes, Santana, Brittany, Artie, Mike all seemed to get on fairly well without any work to back it up.

I thought the way it was written that it did come over that, to me anyway, that Mercedes was seen as being better and probably should win the part and they were trying accommodate Rachel. Or instead of the bold choice, Rachel was a safe pair of hands. It just never felt that it was written like these two girls were so good no-one could choose between them. I felt like they showed Mercedes was better, and had proven she should win the part, but they wouldn't let Rachel lose.

Of course it could be that was what was meant and the writing was just bad.

I think the writing was very poor, but to me it was clear that they didn't come to a conclusion who was better.  The exact words were "Rachel is Maria"  followed with "On the other hand, Mercedes is Is the riskier choice, no doubt. And she might even be the more exciting one."  So your latter point might be valid, they were afraid to go with the bold choice, but it was never shown that Mercedes was better.

I'd forgotten the "Rachel is Maria" comment. That is actually downright offensive. Rachel is the ideal casting for a Porto Rican immigrant? Really?

Yea, the writing left a lot to be desired, but that's par for the course on this show.  I suppose one could argue they were going for color-blind casting.  It's still not a good look for the show.

Yea, the writing left a lot to be desired, but that's par for the course on this show.  I suppose one could argue they were going for color-blind casting.  It's still not a good look for the show.

Colourblind casting on this show meant casting white people and relegating black people! Once is a storyline, twice is really not a good look.

Or maybe they saw Maria as more than just a "Puerto Rican immigrant" and were focused on her being a young, naive, curious, sweet, romantic girl who gets swept away by love.

It's not like racially Mercedes is any closer. It was a stage production in a public high school in the midwest.

Edited by SNeaker
  • Love 1

Also, Rachel has a Broadway voice. Maria sings soprano the whole show, and up to that point in Glee, Amber/Mercedes belted every song she had to sing. Even if WSS did colorblind casting, Mercedes still didn't have a Maria-esque voice, as far as anyone knew.

I thought both Rachel and Mercedes were wrong for Maria,  The best fit would have been Tina but of course they didn't even consider her for the role.  

They had Rory Flanagan playing one of the Sharks. I mean.........

Or maybe they saw Maria as more than just a "Puerto Rican immigrant" and were focused on her being a young, naive, curious, sweet, romantic girl who gets swept away by love. It's not like racially Mercedes is any closer. It was a stage production in a public high school in the midwest.

And how exactly does the bolded not describe Mercedes as well? Plus, WSS takes place in NYC. It's not hard to find an Afro-Puerto Rican in NYC.

Also, Rachel has a Broadway voice. Maria sings soprano the whole show, and up to that point in Glee, Amber/Mercedes belted every song she had to sing. Even if WSS did colorblind casting, Mercedes still didn't have a Maria-esque voice, as far as anyone knew.

I dont remember Artie, Emma, and Bieste ever citing the soprano- thing as a reason that they were undecided.  I could be wrong, but all I remember is this

The scene that really bugs me is Artie, Bieste and Emma talking about what a radical and unusual choice for Maria Mercedes would be. It was like every code word for black and plus size.

But why was Rachel the ideal "young, naïve, curious, sweet, romantic, girl"? Mercedes was not older, and she certainly is at least as naïve as Rachel was (as both were virgins). It's hard to escape the fact that because Rachel was small, slender and pretty that they associated those qualities more with her superficial appearance than they could with Mercedes (because big black woman are seen as powerful and strong).

I don't mind so much that you had an inexperienced high school student who had delusions about his own directorial greatness (along with two teachers who had absolutely no theater experience) would go for predictable, positively pedestrian casting choices. What I dislike is that the show presented that Mercedes (and to a large degree, Kurt) were discounted as viable candidates because they did not fit the stereotypical images of these characters, acknowledge it, and just let it lie. Two talented students got shafted because the directors were unable or unwilling to push past their own prejudices.

Amber/Mercedes belted every song she had to sing.

Rachel is the absolute queen of belting in every song (even the ones that it's ill suited for). Amber sang absolutely beautifully in the Getting Married Today performance (in a gorgeous operatic soprano voice) and certainly had the vocal range to perform Maria well. Lea was straining to sing the WSS songs in the proper key because her range doesn't reach as high as Amber's does.

I just want to say something about casting as someone who has performed in theater and attended more professional productions than I really want to admit to. I have seen many casts with actors that don't fit the conventional image of the character and pull it off beautifully. The last time I saw Chicago on Broadway (admittedly a number of years ago), the actress playing Velma Kelly was black. Spring Awakening takes place in a town in 19th century Germany, but that didn't stop them from casting Jenna. Kenneth Branagh's film production of Much Ado About Nothing cast Denzel Washington as the Prince. I saw a great community theater production of Hamlet where the entire cast looked typically Nordic except for the actor playing Hamlet (who was Chinese). Good directors cast actors who play parts well and who don't necessarily match the race of the character they are playing. And good directors aren't afraid to challenge the audience with presenting a different take on a very familiar show.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 2

And how exactly does the bolded not describe Mercedes as well? Plus, WSS takes place in NYC. It's not hard to find an Afro-Puerto Rican in NYC.

The comment is that Mercedes isn't any closer ethnically than Rachel is.  I don't think It's in regards to the bolded statement.  

Tina and Rachel aren't sopranos.

Lea, hence Rachel, does have the range of a Soprano though?  I mean Lea was up for the role of Maria in real life...

The audition songs were all ridiculously out of place though.

I thought both Rachel and Mercedes were wrong for Maria,  The best fit would have been Tina but of course they didn't even consider her for the role.

Tina and Mike should've been Maria and Bernardo. Mike as Riff was pointless, they didn't do any of Riff's songs. Even his audition isn't a Riff song, Ice sings it after Riff dies.

Tina should've been Sandy or Rizzo in Season 4.

They had Rory Flanagan playing one of the Sharks. I mean.........

And Puck as Bernardo. Those two singing about how hard life is in America for minorities.

Also the casting expected me to believe Blaine could beat Puck in a fight. Really?

I dont remember Artie, Emma, and Bieste ever citing the soprano- thing as a reason that they were undecided.  I could be wrong, but all I remember is this

I think they were talking about the sum of Mercedes' parts. 

Rachel is the absolute queen of belting in every song (even the ones that it's ill suited for). Amber sang absolutely beautifully in the Getting Married Today performance (in a gorgeous operatic soprano voice) and certainly had the vocal range to perform Maria well. Lea was straining to sing the WSS songs in the proper key because her range doesn't reach as high as Amber's does.

Getting Married Today didn't come until the 4th season. When they did WSS, no one had any idea that Amber/Mercedes could sing that high or that well high.

Do yall really think that if Amber was cast as Maria in a production of West Side Story in New York, that the Broadway community wouldn't be buzzing about how different and unusual and bold that casting choice would be?

I just want to say something about casting as someone who has performed in theater and attended more professional productions than I really want to admit to. I have seen many casts with actors that don't fit the conventional image of the character and pull it off beautifully. The last time I saw Chicago on Broadway (admittedly a number of years ago), the actress playing Velma Kelly was black. Spring Awakening takes place in a town in 19th century Germany, but that didn't stop them from casting Jenna. Kenneth Branagh's film production of Much Ado About Nothing cast Denzel Washington as the Prince. I saw a great community theater production of Hamlet where the entire cast looked typically Nordic except for the actor playing Hamlet (who was Chinese). Good directors cast actors who play parts well and who don't necessarily match the race of the character they are playing. And good directors aren't afraid to challenge the audience with presenting a different take on a very familiar show.

Funnily the last time I saw Chicago on its UK tour Velma was played by a black women, and she was awesome. I was watching the performance of the Les Miserables cast on last year's Tonys the other day. Eponine is black, while both Thernadiers are white, and in the British production I've seen an Asian Fantine while Cosette was white. Theatre is usually very good at being colourblind.

Lea doesn't have the range for Maria. She was straining for some of the notes. IMO, she wouldn't be able to sing the " Tonight Quintet" for example.

Plus, it's not just about which notes you can hit. Lea is a mezzo soprano, which means her timbre is wrong for Maria. JMO of course.

The comment is that Mercedes isn't any closer ethnically than Rachel is.  I don't think It's in regards to the bolded statement.  

I think she was commenting on the fact that they saw Rachel perfect as Maria,unlike Mercedes when just like Mercedes she wasn't Puerto Rican. So the question becomes than what made Rachel a perfect Maria, but not Mercedes ? 

Funnily the last time I saw Chicago on its UK tour Velma was played by a black women, and she was awesome. I was watching the performance of the Les Miserables cast on last year's Tonys the other day. Eponine is black, while both Thernadiers are white, and in the British production I've seen an Asian Fantine while Cosette was white. Theatre is usually very good at being colourblind.

And Lea Salonga played Fantine also. There are all kinds of examples of actors being cast in parts where they don't match the ethnicities of the characters.

Mercedes didn't get a fair shake because she wasn't a petite little white girl, and Kurt didn't get a fair shake because they saw him as being too fae for the part. I would have loved it had the directors decided to split both parts and have Rachel play opposite Blaine, while Mercedes acted opposite Kurt. It would have been interesting to see which actors the audience would have found more engaging.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 2

Lea doesn't have the range for Maria. She was straining for some of the notes. IMO, she wouldn't be able to sing the " Tonight Quintet" for example.

Plus, it's not just about which notes you can hit. Lea is a mezzo soprano, which means her timbre is wrong for Maria. JMO of course.

I'm actually pretty sure Lea is a soprano.  I think she gets mistaken for a mezzo soprano a lot.  She still may not necessarily fit the role of Maria, but I'm pretty sure her actual range falls in the proper definition of a soprano. 

Getting Married Today didn't come until the 4th season. When they did WSS, no one had any idea that Amber/Mercedes could sing that high or that well high.

The audience didn't but RIB most likely did, which means that the reason they didn't allow her to show this talent is because they wanted the audience to believe that Mercedes didn't deserve or was more right for role than Rachel. This way the audience could easily side with Rachel (which most did) and see Mercedes as nothing more than a diva for believing that she was better for the role than Rachel.

It's hard to escape the fact that because Rachel was small, slender and pretty that they associated those qualities more with her superficial appearance than they could with Mercedes (because big black woman are seen as powerful and strong).

But that was how Mercedes tried out. And in fact, that's what they noted about her, that she had this newfound confidence and power about her. If Mercedes had sung something like "Getting Married Today" and tried out with a song closer to a Maria style and done well, I would have said "Wow, she showed a different side of her, she deserves the part." Rachel sang an actual song from the show.

Also, I wasn't referring to personal naivete in their own lives as they would obviously be playing roles, but Rachel to me could pull off that wide eyed naivete and hope and dreaminess that Mercedes has thus far never displayed.

Edited by SNeaker
  • Love 1

I think she was commenting on the fact that they saw Rachel perfect as Maria,unlike Mercedes when just like Mercedes she wasn't Puerto Rican. So the question becomes than what made Rachel a perfect Maria, but not Mercedes ? 

That's fine.  I'm not the original poster, but they never said Mercedes didn't fit that role based on those facts, it was a statement in relation to why Rachel could fit the role perfectly despite not being a Puerto Rican Immigrant.  The comment that Mercedes isn't any closer to a real-life Puerto Rican immigrant still stands fine IMO.

• Love 1

Mercedes didn't get a fair shake because she wasn't a petite little white girl, and Kurt didn't get a fair shake because they saw him as being to fae for the part. I would have loved it had the directors decided to split both parts and have Rachel play opposite Blaine, while Mercedes acted opposite Kurt. It would have been interesting to see which actors the audience would have found more engaging.

I have no doubt it would've been Mercedes/Kurt mostly because it's not bland. Rachel and Blaine would've been great as Tony and Maria, but they would be exactly what you would expect.

Still would've preferred Tina/Kurt.

Lea is definitely not a soprano IMO. Her head voice isn't strong enough.

Where's Glorfindel when we need her? LOL

I'm pretty sure Lea has stated herself she's a soprano, and I'm pretty sure her vocal range spans the Soprano range.  I'm not a vocalist so I'm not really sure how head voice plays into it? However, I can distinguish a high C, which is within Lea's range.

But that was how Mercedes tried out. And in fact, that's what they noted about her, that she had this newfound confidence and power about her. If Mercedes had sung something like "Getting Married Today" and tried out with a song closer to a Maria style and done well, I would have said "Wow, she showed a different side of her, she deserves the part." Rachel sang an actual song from the show.

With special tuition from two teachers, Mercedes did it on her own.

The worst part of WSS is it Bieste look as bad an educator as the rest of the teachers.

Do yall really think that if Amber was cast as Maria in a production of West Side Story in New York, that the Broadway community wouldn't be buzzing about how different and unusual and bold that casting choice would be?

They just did a production of Romeo and Juliet on Broadway last year where the actress playing Juliet was black. And yes... there was a lot of buzz because you ended up having the interracial element of the romance giving more layers to an already fascinating love story.

Most professional directors when doing revivals want to try to bring something new to the show so that you don't sit there and just compare to the most well known production. Whether it's daring casting or refiguring the settings and costumes, you don't often see basic copies. Even the last production of WSS on Broadway got a lot of interest because the Puerto Rican characters sung all of their songs in Spanish.

And it's not reserved strictly for race. Gender also gets played with in many contemporary productions of well known theater staples and ballets. They just did a film version of The Tempest with Helen Mirren as Prospera (the character has always previously been male). And here I'll get to toot my own horn - in my college production of Romeo and Juliet, I played Mercutio (because we didn't have enough male actors in our group) and I don't look anything like a guy! And I have no doubt that at some point we're going to see a same sex portrayal of Romeo and Juliet in a major production.

The audience didn't but RIB most likely did

But you're talking about something outside the show. INSIDE the show, Artie and Beiste and Emma had no idea that Mercedes could sing soprano. And I'm not sure how you even determine that RIB most likely knew anything, since Amber didn't sing soprano in a song until a year and a half later.

I'm pretty sure Lea has stated herself she's a soprano, and I'm pretty sure her vocal range spans the Soprano range. I'm not a vocalist so I'm not really sure how head voice plays into it?

However, I can distinguish a high C, which is

within Lea's range.

I don't think it is given how much she was straining, but we should probably agree to disagree.

They just did a production of Romeo and Juliet on Broadway last year where the actress playing Juliet was black. And yes... there was a lot of buzz because you ended up having the interracial element of the romance giving more layers to an already fascinating love story.

So is that racist of the Broadway community to be buzzing about that casting? I fail to see how Artie saying "On the other hand, Mercedes is Is the riskier choice, no doubt. And she might even be the more exciting one." is actually racist.

If we're going on their audition Rachel's version of Somewhere was awful. She hit the notes but there was nothing beneath it. Mercedes audition shows some internal struggle.

Speaking of WSS, I'm watching my music videos on shuffle and the best part of that whole storyline just came on - Mike's audition!

I don't think it is given how much she was straining, but we should probably agree to disagree.

Probably best, but after reading a bit more about head voice vs. chest voice, and what that means, I'm pretty sure that Lea Michele is a soprano based on the definition of a soprano.  She and Amber actually have very similar ranges.  There can be a preference of voice of course and who you think is a better singer.  However, Amber and Lea are both sopranos.

So is that racist of the Broadway community to be buzzing about that casting? I fail to see how Artie saying "On the other hand, Mercedes is Is the riskier choice, no doubt. And she might even be the more exciting one." is actually racist.

I think the buzz is about adding the interracial element. WSS is already suppose to be an interracial romance. I think the racist part was Artie, Bieste and Emma couldn't see passed Mercedes being a plus size black woman.

Also, I wasn't referring to personal naivete in their own lives as they would obviously be playing roles, but Rachel to me could pull off that wide eyed naivete and hope and dreaminess that Mercedes has thus far never displayed.

Exactly...

ARTIE: Wow! Yeah!

EMMA: Whoo! Beautiful. Whoo! Mercedes, I’ve never seen you like this before. Really. You’re so…

BEISTE: Glamorous.

EMMA: Glamorous.

MERCEDES: Well, I just wanted you guys to see me the way that I see myself now: as a leading lady.

EMMA: Well, it was wonderful. Beautiful.

Rachel dressed in a a sweet little cotton dress and her demeanor was in character.    

tumblr_mpds8vVKHT1ra5gbxo4_250.gif

tumblr_mpn5t3gPhG1ra5gbxo8_r1_250.gif

It was not racist - they were interested in that casting because it was somewhat different than we generally see in productions of this play. And that's a good thing, IMO. Just like I think that it's absolutely brilliant that Michaela DePrince, an absolute fantastic black ballet dancer, got to perform Odette/Odile in Swan Lake. Because it's not the same old, same old. And yes, sometimes having a performer of a different race brings elements to the storyline that you wouldn't get with another Caucasian actor.

So, wait, which is it, are we all for colorblind casting, or should white kids in a predominantly white midwestern school be banned from playing Puerto Ricans in a High School production of West Side Story? I went to an all-girls school, and I played men all the time because we kind of had to have girls playing boys, ya know? It's High School.

Listen, in the real world I think it's important to be sensitive when it comes to casting, and I am all for it being colorblind (or genderblind), but I don't think Mercedes vs. Rachel for Maria had anything to do with white vs black, especially since the character was neither. The size thing...potentially. But I don't think Mercedes did anything to prove she could play a character like Maria, which is perhaps a failing of the writers who may have given her a more appropriate audition song. That said, if someone told me I had to cast Maria and could have either Lea or Amber, I'd choose Lea simply because her wide-eyed persona fits the part (and because she's a much better actress -- it ain't just about the singing.) I also think it's not a very good part. But I would happily cast Amber in a number of roles that are generally given to skinny white girls. I think she'd make a great Maureen in Rent, for instance.

Also, Puck, who is Jewish in a predominantly Christian town, does kind of know what it's like to be a minority.

• Love 3

Also, Puck, who is Jewish in a predominantly Christian town, does kind of know what it's like to be a minority.

There's only one Puckerman who can sing a song about tough life is for minorities in America and it ain't the one they cast. (I appreciate they didn't have they other at that time)

Amber has a larger range, though.

All I know is that most experts I've heard from say that Lea is a mezzo soprano.

What experts though?  I'm pretty positive they're wrong.  I mean my vocal training ended in 3rd grade choir, but I have perfect pitch and she can clearly hit the notes within the defined range of a soprano.  Unless there's some requirement I don't know about of being a soprano that goes beyond being able to sing notes within a soprano range, Lea's a soprano.  Amber and Lea both have about a 2.5 octave range.  Amber's voice is more powerful overall I think, but they do have very similar ranges.

If you google Lea Michele vocal range, most of the sources say she's a soprano that is often mistaken as a mezzo soprano because of her belt.

Edited by dizzyizzy01

Yeah all this fuss over Maria when Anita is the meaty part.

Seriously. Santana and Mercedes fighting over that  would have made tons more sense. It's a great part they're equally suited for. Though it would have messed with the Troubletones storyline.

• Love 1

Yeah all this fuss over Maria when Anita is the meaty part.

And was cast to perfection.

I can't believe the only 'fight' over the men's roles was Kurt/Blaine over Tony. Really? No-one want to play Bernardo? ( every time I type Bernardo I hear in my head as Rita Moreno says it in the film!)

Seriously. Santana and Mercedes fighting over that  would have made tons more sense. It's a great part they're equally suited for. Though it would have messed with the Troubletones storyline.

Santana v Mercedes as Anita and Rachel v Tina for Maria would've been better.