Type keyword(s) to search

The Revenant (2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Really good movie.  I think Leo deserves the Oscar.  I didn't know Domnhall Gleason was in it, and I was pleasantly surprised.  He always gives really solid performances.  I am amazed that the bear was totally CGI.  And did Leo really eat that live fish and that bleeding buffalo meat?

I purposely stayed to look at the credits to see whether or not the "No animals were harmed in the making of this film" disclaimer came up like it did in the Hunger Games, and it didn't. I'm guessing they really  use some real animals there.

Then it would have been impossible for Fitzgerald to grow up in Texas.

Actually there were a lot of Americans in the Province of Tejas.which is pronounced as we English spell it Texas. The area was known as French Texas then Spanish Texas then Mexican Texas.

I saw this film and enjoyed it to an extent. I was expecting it to be a much harder watch from what I'd scene in the trailers. While I think Leo will get the Oscar I agree with others who say this isn't his best performance. He was great in it, I just felt the character and the film were a little dull. I'll be delighted if he gets a career Oscar out of it though. There's no other performances that have wowed me this year for lead actor so I'm happy for him to get it. I think he's earned it at this stage in his career.

Hardy on the other hand I thought was the real standout of the fim and if Stallone wasn't a sure thing for best supporting actor I'd have given the edge to him.

I have mixed feelings about this movie. On one hand, it was technically great. The acting was incredible. The shots were beautiful. On the other hand, I didn't care about any of it. I didn't feel connected to any of the characters (except maybe Tom Hardy's character). I didn't really care about Leo's struggle. There was never any tension.* I never had any doubts that he was going to find the guy who killed his son. Even in the most dangerous situations, I was never worried that Leo wouldn't make it. It just felt so blah. Beautiful scenery, but empty emotion. 

*The closest it got to tense was the scene when Leo was trying to keep his eyes open so Tom Hardy wouldn't kill him.

Edited by Rockstar99435
  • Love 1

I saw this film and enjoyed it to an extent. I was expecting it to be a much harder watch from what I'd scene in the trailers. While I think Leo will get the Oscar I agree with others who say this isn't his best performance. He was great in it, I just felt the character and the film were a little dull. I'll be delighted if he gets a career Oscar out of it though. There's no other performances that have wowed me this year for lead actor so I'm happy for him to get it. I think he's earned it at this stage in his career.

Hardy on the other hand I thought was the real standout of the fim and if Stallone wasn't a sure thing for best supporting actor I'd have given the edge to him.

From what I understand about this year's crop of Best Leading Men, this is definitely a great year for someone to get a Career Oscar, and why not have it be Leo?

Besides, even though it wasn't Leo's best performance, the problem is that every other year that Leo has been up for it, someone else did something that was basically guaranteed (most recently when Matthew McConaughey got it for the Dallas Buyers Club while Leo had been up for Wolf of Wall Street), so in a weaker year like this, I'm not bothered by someone getting a career Oscar.

I had no idea that was Tom Hardy while I was watching it. All I knew was, "Whoever this guy is, he's giving the performance of the movie."

When it was over and my friend told me who it was, I was even more blown away. The same guy as in Locke? Incredible.

• Love 2

I had to dig this one up again because a few weeks ago I saw a movie on tv called A Man in the Wilderness, starring Richard Harris.  It was made in 1971 and was based on the Hugh Glass story.   So while The Revenant was based on this original movie and similar to it in many ways, I actually enjoyed this movie much better than The Revenant.   Richard Harris's acting was stellar.   

On 1/24/2016 at 12:31 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I purposely stayed to look at the credits to see whether or not the "No animals were harmed in the making of this film" disclaimer came up like it did in the Hunger Games, and it didn't. I'm guessing they really  use some real animals there.

I finally saw part of this movie on tv this weekend.  It was better than what I had expected. 

I did read that no real bear was used in the filming of the movie.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-revenant-filming-secrets-2015-12