Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: A Box of Puppies Walks Into a Bar

That was so much fun.  So many blown lines, and a lot of laughing off camera.

Loved that the cast was the band -- and David Fynn really can sing. That bit where Danny lip-synced to Brett was pretty good.

Count me in with Shelly in hoping that Star Wars doesn't suck.

Candace's reaction after Justin's bit about looking back at this when he was fat bald and divorced was priceless.

On a completely superficial note -- Bridgit Mendler in a tight white fuzzy sweater.  That is all.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

My cable guide is saying its this episode, and when I go to NBC.com, it's one of the first show to display, showing as new tonight.

WTH that is so weird. When I went to NBC it had the other shows last night as new but not Undateble. It's like the universe was trying to keep me from seeing this ep!

Edited by peachmangosteen

To my surprise, for the first time D'elia actually made me laugh with one of his ad libs. During the West Coast airing, he slipped in an extra line when the pursuing gang members grabbed him:

Gang Leader: Get him, boys.

(The gang members surround Danny)

Danny (as they're grabbing him and picking him up): Hold on guys - hold on guys - let's actually just... lemme maybe do one-on-one first!

Who knew that all it would take would be D'elia dropping the bravado and pleading to be gently eased into being gang-raped.

I just hope Whitney Cummings doesn't stick around too long. I find that she and D'elia magnify the smug, hammy "I can top you" worst in each other when paired onscreen.

Edited by giovannif7
  • Love 1

To my surprise, for the first time D'elia actually made me laugh with one of his ad libs. During the West Coast airing, he slipped in an extra line when the pursuing gang members grabbed him:

Who knew that all it would take would be D'elia dropping the bravado and pleading to be gently eased into being gang-raped.

I just hope Whitney Cummings doesn't stick around too long. I find that she and D'elia magnify the smug, hammy "I can top you" worst in each other when paired onscreen.

That joke by Danny was pretty funny.  And despite her influences, I like having Whitney around simply because she manages to throw Chris D'Elia off his game so easily.

Shelly had some great lines in these episodes.

Shelly: "Ho, ho, ho"

Leslie: "Shelly, great sweater.  Is that black Santa ?"

Shelly: "I believe you mean real Santa."

Candace: "Justin, I'm so ticked at you. Does anyone want to guess why I'm carrying a box full of puppies ?"

Shelly: "The reason is unimportant. But I'm gonna lie down, and your going to pour those puppies on top of me."

Shelly: "Guys, I can not believe that it's Xmas Eve, it still feels to me like it's exactly December 11."

Justin: "I am not an elf.  Elves aren't even real."

Shelly: "Oh that's exactly what a real elf would say to throw us off the trail.  Now you go make me an Xbox."

Shelly: "Anyway, I thought before you guys left on Xmas Eve, you know, maybe we could have a party upstairs in my room, you know, it's be fun, be nice to spend it all together since you guys are kind of my family."

Leslie: "Awe, Shelly, of course we'll be there."

Charlotte: "I will definitely be there.  I have a long history of doing anything handsome black men ask me to."

Some other good lines during the episodes

Candace: "Vince said that I need to pay $1200 in puppy support. How, like, how am I supposed to afford that ?"

Charlotte: "Oh, I have an idea. What, um, how does Justin feel about sharing you ?"

Candace: "You're the scariest woman I've ever met."

Candace: "Those are Moe's children. Which, you know, I would think would be impossible because I always keep him on leash except for when I'm at the dog park."

Charlotte: "Take it from a girl with a 4 year old.  You can get pregnant at the dog park."

Danny: "That's really gross. That's really, really gross, the whole thing."

Charlotte: "Ah, I am so glad you are defending your friends, kind of makes me want to start a street fight just so you'll protect me.  I'm getting turned on just thinking about it."

Candace: "Umm, she is so scary."

Danny: "I know, I love it."

It's funny that the commercial for the Amazon Echo took place in the Undateable writer's room and made it look like Alexa was responsible for that bad 'brown and sticky' joke Shelly told, something that Shelly commented on in the West Coast show "you're bad at comedy".   And there was a product placement Amazon box on the kitchen counter in Danny/Justin's apartment in the East Coast episode, and another Amazon box on the coffee table in the West Coast episode. 

Here's the link -- http://www.ispot.tv/ad/AoyP/amazon-echo-undateable-writers-room-alexas-joke

On the West Coast show, Justin called it a doggy pregnancy test instead of a doggy paternity test.  I just thought it was particularly funny that the puppies appeared to be 6 different breeds none of which were the same breed as Moe or the puppy momma.

Shelly's bed is a wrestling ring -- nice !!  Ron Funches' love of wrestling snuck into the background of the show.

All the Xmas sweaters were definitely different

• Shelly -- his first sweater was Santa's head with the word 'Believe' at the bottom, later in the episode he had a Detroit Red Wings sweater
  • Danny -- Jesus holding a red balloon and wearing a birthday hat with the words 'Birthday Boy' at the bottom of the sweater
  • Justin -- Santa Claus peeing a yellow 'Merry Christmas' in the white snow
  • Brett -- a beheaded snowman
  • Charlotte -- a green T-Rex version of Santa (or maybe a T-Rex Grinch, I'm not really sure)
  • Burski -- a menorah and a pair of smiling dreidels
  • Candace -- cat in a Santa hat, and the sweater was covered in fuzzy white snowballs and mini-red bows
  • Leslie -- a recreation of the Champagne Incident photo by Jean Paul Goude, using Santa and a carton of milk.

I bailed before the second commercial break.

The novelty of live air has worn off on me.  I've been weary of D'elia's one-note acting/schtick for a while (can you cock your eyebrow any more?) but since his character's sister cut her hair there's nothing to keep me comin' round any more - no investment whatsoever in any of the other characters, especially the guy with the glasses; he really seems to serve no purpose. My interest briefly flared with Whitney Cummings as a nice Hail Mary casting choice, but ultimately...meh.

Elvis has left the building.

I've been weary of D'elia's one-note acting/schtick for a while (can you cock your eyebrow any more?) 

I like the show but his "line....uh...line...uh uh...slight improvisation....uh..line" is getting old for every time he speaks.

Edited by Iamhydrogen

Seeing Whitney Cummings on this show makes me remember how much I dislike her. She's not funny. Is she dating Chris D'Elia in real life? Is that why she's on? These characters come across as a bunch of goofy losers; Whitney Cummings is just a mean girl. She doesn't fit with the rest of the cast. 

• Love 1

Yeah, why do they give Leslie Mom hair?  It's like they're trying to portray her as a middle aged divorcee so this Candace who is like 23 (?) can be the female star of the show.  I'd vastly prefer the show without Candace and all the focus on her.

Chris D'Elia was Whitney's love interest on her sitcom, "Whitney".  I like that they're friends in real life.  I liked the show and the two of them had good chemistry even though it's clear Whitney is no actor.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay