Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: Clean Out Your Junk Drawer

I understand, but why the heck would making out with Reuben be her link to High School?  He was a geeky kid that hung out with her brother, not someone that was part of her high school experience. 

A more fitting scenario would be Alex being an advisor for the academic team or chess club and taking that job way too seriously.  However, then we would not have hilarious jokes about him unhooking her bra or falling out of her bedroom closet.

I guess Reuben adores her and that is enough to make her feel special again?

I think that she's being pushed close to her limits mentally for the first time in her life, she doesn't want to expend more time and mental energy on something competitive like a chess club or academic team. He's been a quick and easy distraction for her and requires the absolute minimum of effort on her part to impress.

• Love 1

Reuben is already in awe of her which makes her feel good. He still thinks that she is smart because that's the Alex from high school he knew. She doesn't have to prove she's smart to him or impress him (as she would have to, or feel she had to do, with one of her college classmates). I'm not saying that any of this is good but I can see why those things would make her feel better temporarily.

Related story: a very popular and pretty girl I knew in high school ran into a random guy from our high school when they were in their mid-20s. They started dating and he was still so in awe of her from high school that he would say to her, "I can't believe I'm dating Jane Smith!" She was a really nice person but he seemed to be more impressed by the idea that he was dating an it girl who his 15 year old self never thought he had a chance with. She eventually broke up with him because he seemed more into the fantasy of dating his high school dream girl than anything else. Ha, that didn't seem to bother Alex though!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2
Green Bay on Thursday illustrates why many of us want to watch games live, it's not the same when you know you can fast forward to the end. I did like Jay telling Cam the score in therapy speak!

That's why I watch games an hour in, so that it catches up to live in the back end of the fourth quarter. Though I guess Jay didn't have that option, given the length of the session.

I liked that the counselor revealed she had to dumb down her stuff for the book.

I'm terrible at quoting lines, especially since it has been a week, but a couple of things did crack me up:

Cameron to Mitchell: " ... like the fact that you love electricity more than me"  regarding the fact that Mitchell is always telling him to turn off the lights.

When Alex and Haley were talking about their boy troubles, Alex said something like, "We have to end it," and Haley said, "I'm not going to kill myself!"

• Love 1

What I need in my life is a montage of Phil's swirl obsession. Didn't he say something about being in an all black glee group in college? **chuckle** I usually love his lines.

Edited by Pacodakat
  • Love 1

Andy showing up at the end to say "I broke off my engagement cause i'm in love with you" would have been awesome.  

Them continuing to cheat on Beth, not so much.  C'mon, show.  Let's do this right and stop jerking these characters around.

The standard plot arc would be: Andy and Beth break up, Haley realizes she doesn't find Andy attractive any more when there's no hiding it, Haley breaks up with Andy, and then Haley and Beth become friends--and maybe Beth and Andy get married.

I too am a Catherine O'Hara fan, but I thought the therapist character was mostly a cliché; her little meltdown at the end about twelve years of research being reduced to a cutesy pop-psychology metaphor was bitter but also funny, though.

I laughed at Haley's reaction to finding out about Reuben: "What?! You're at Cal Tech! You're surrounded by age-appropriate dorks."

"Methinks" is actually a very old construction, deriving from an Old English verb; it means "it seems to me." It's not a mangling of syntax in the same way as "Me likey." [/grammar Alex]

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1