Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:28 PM, peacheslatour said:

Been there. Hated it. But congrats on T1 getting to be a homeowner! 🏡

Remodeling is self-imposed Hell. No matter how much planning or professionals involved, the endless chaos of hundreds of nagging decisions ruin any hope of an efficient kitchen when it's over. You concede, praying that it ends before you have to double-down on the anti-anxiety medication.

Thing1 survived; She flew in to LAX Thursday night, got no sleep, arrived at the closer's office armed with mom/dad, a realtor, lawyer, wire transfer from escrow account and a pen. The soon-to-be former owners brought their lawyer, realtor, two closers, an office assistant, a FAX/copier, and three stacks of paper. Two hours later, a ream of paper, handshakes and congratulations were exchanged.

We went to the townhouse to give Thing1 an opportunity to walk through before everything changes, and drop off a key box for the demolition crew and carpenter who arrived at the same time. Thing1 was gobsmacked and after a few minutes walked back to the car sobbing. The realtor comforted her with Kleenex and encouraging words about good price/desirable location/excellent investment in this housing market. Many Kleenex and hiccups later, I was home making rum raisin or apple pannenkoekens for a crowd. Thing1 was poured into bed with her property transfer, temporary title/deed and assorted paperwork from the morning exertions.

Six hours later, Thing1 was starving, pouring over the remodeling blueprints and decorator's layout, making notes. I was about to start dinner when friends stopped by to congratulate her. Took a trip to buy more wine and ingredients. Revelry ensued. Poured myself into bed.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:56 AM, pearlite said:

Early March doldrums chez Pearlite.

Maybe it's the endless bouts of snow, with the shitty driving and endless cleanup.

Too much everything. Too much rain, snow, mud, flooding, cold, school closings, travel advisories … Winter has been miserable.

Does it help to know that the days are getting longer? 

Maybe it's not coming to an agreement on which Oscar movies we'll watch--Roma, yes; Black Klansman--love Spike Lee; Green Book--I keep trying to sell PLL on it--Don Shirley was really interesting; The Favourite, yes but not up for rental yet; A Star is Born, gawd no [James Mason & judy only]. Who knows?

Don't get me started ...

Roma -- Love Alfonso Cuarón's dreamscape work. Movie should be seen in a theatre setting.

BlacKkKlansman -- Spike Lee was robbed again. One of the great wrongs in the history of the Oscars was Spike Lee not being nominated for Do the Right Thing -- BlacKkKlansman is the bookend to Do the Right Thing. The Academy has almost completely ignored Spike's genius, and chose to reward cultural revisionist trash instead.

Green Book -- I'm a great admirer of Don Shirley, and the man deserved a better representation than Peter Farrelly's retrograde, serio-comic racist clichés. The family of Don Shirley has been protesting the screenplay and production of the movie for years, and then the screenwriter has the gall to say (post-Academy Award) that he never knew the Shirley family existed. Interesting interpretation against earlier interviews Nick Vallelonga and Farrelly gave defending their screenplay because of Shirley family protests. 

Bohemian Rhapsody/A Star Is Born -- I don't understand the hype. Bohemian Rhapsody is a standard-issue biopic that glossed over the main character, but had a good last 10 minutes -- Bryan Singer has been a pariah for years, and should have stayed under his dirty ashtray. A Star Is Born is a fourth remake with nothing new to say on the misogyny front -- "Shal-la-la-la-la-low" is beyond annoying. Give me the 1954 version and Judy Garland in the subtle single camera/single shot scene singing The Man That Got Away, as James Mason watches in wonderment, mesmerized by her talent and vitality, and everything his dissipation has taken from him. George Cukor cannot be topped.

Olivia Colman rightly deserved her Academy Award; performance and character perfection. The woman is beyond gifted.

But salvation comes in odd ways. In other words, YouTube cooking shows. Other than show & DOOL on PVR, don't watch network TV. This started with a friend discovering some woman from Newfoundland called Bonita cooking bizarre crap you'd never eat; i.e.. boiling salt pork & onions in the same water as a boiled raisin pudding. Then, cruising for more sources of bologna stew, we came across Steve Hall [Shotgun Red] and we are enmired.

Boes, this is a man who speaks knowingly of Lutefisk feeds, a largish guy who makes the daintiest hand gestures I've ever seen, A lot of what we've seen so far is pure mainstream NO, such as hash brown potato soup, but for entertainment value, he's great.

I'm a big fan of street food, commercial food processing and agricultural equipment videos. 

Steve Hall is a hoot. I've done the White Swedish lutefisk dinner; smells weird, tastes okay, but what's with all the white sauce?

There. Have I bored you to pieces? Apologies.

Your posts are never boring, Pearlite.

• Love 12

Does it help to know that the days are getting longer? 

It has been nice the last few days. I love the golden afternoons we've been having lately. The light changes everything. I'm not looking forward to turning the clocks ahead at all.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, bannana said:

Wow, I had never heard about the Tulsa Massacre.  That is crazy and horrific and sad.

I was on a business trip to Tulsan and the radio manager drove by a area that was under excavation in the old Black Wall Street neighborhood. She told me about the massacre, and we talked about race riots and red lining in our mutual cities. Looking it up later, I was disgusted by the number of murders and race riots in the US post-Civil War. I could not unknow what I had heard, read and seen. 

1445103975-ezgif-2150192374.gif

I picked up a cake! Happy birthday, AngelKitty!

• Love 8

The knitting community is reckoning with racism -- Fiber artists of color are taking to Instagram stories to call out instances of prejudice — and to try to shape a more inclusive future.

South Korea's plastic problem is a literal trash fire

The Pillsbury Bake-Off Winner for 2019 Is a Dublin Cheeseboard-Stuffed Appetizer Bread

The Nipple and the Damage Done

-- Adam Levine's Nipples During Super Bowl Spark Complaints to FCC About Gender Equality

• Love 4

Mac Wiseman, country and bluegrass great, dead at 93

Malcolm Bell Wiseman was born May 23, 1925, in Crimora, Virginia. There was no electricity or indoor plumbing in his family's home, but there was a battery-operated radio. 

As a boy, he listened to a wide range of music but was especially drawn to country music entertainer Bradley Kincaid.

"I didn't realize, till many years later, the effect that Bradley Kincaid had on me," Wiseman told music journalist Barry Mazor in 2005, "because he did the old ballads and story-songs, but he was an educated guy; he had a college education. Also, he was a businessman. I guess I'd have to say that I patterned myself after that."

A bout of polio when he was only 6 months old left Wiseman with a leg that was twisted and bent. After his sixth year of grade school, he had the first of many corrective surgeries on that leg. While recuperating, he learned how to play a $3.99 guitar ordered from the Sears and Roebuck catalog and tuned by a traveling preacher because no one else he knew was able to.

Ruth Wiseman encouraged her son's love of music and carefully copied song lyrics she heard on the radio into a series of notebooks for him. Three-quarters of a century later he turned some of those songs into his 2014 album "Songs from My Mother's Hand."

His leg kept him out of World War II, but the Infantile Paralysis Foundation (a predecessor to March of Dimes) helped pay for him to attend college. He chose the Shenandoah Conservatory of Music, and soon he was learning the ropes at radio station WSVA. He announced the news, played records, advertised products ranging from baby chicks to women's hose, and sang.   

Chicago, Bristol and Nashville

Wiseman's recording career officially began in late 1946, when he played bass on singer Molly O'Day's recordings of "When God Comes and Gathers His Jewels" and "The Tramp on the Street," among others.

"I didn't realize it at the time, but (O'Day) had quite an influence on me with her pure mountain-style singing," Wiseman told biographer Walt Trott decades later. "A number of songs she sang, I'd use later in my repertoire." 

While working at WCYB in Bristol, Tennessee, in 1948, he was hired by Flatt and Scruggs to join their band. 

On the air one day, Wiseman was offered a job by one of the radio show's guests (and Flatt and Scruggs' former employer), Bill Monroe. During his stint in Monroe's Blue Grass Boys, he sang on now-classics like "Can't You Hear Me Calling." 

After leaving Monroe, he landed slots on the popular "Louisiana Hayride" country music radio show based in Shreveport, and, later, the "Old Dominion Barn Dance" in his home state of Virginia. 

On May 23, 1951, Wiseman recorded his first solo songs for Dot Records. His debut single, and future signature song, " 'Tis Sweet to Be Remembered," was released in September of that year. 

Over the next decade, he released more than 100 songs on the Gallatin-based label, including "Jimmy Brown the Newsboy," which peaked at No. 5 on the charts, and "Love Letters in the Sand." While he was recording for Dot, he also ran its country division for several years.

As rock 'n' roll began to overshadow country music in the 1950s, Wiseman and others in the industry saw the need to create a trade organization to keep the genre viable. The Country Music Association was formed in 1958, and Wiseman was its first treasurer. 

During the late 1950s and '60s, Wiseman was a mainstay on the folk music scene, playing college campuses, festivals, and Carnegie Hall and the Hollywood Bowl. He also managed WWVA's country music show, "The Wheeling Jamboree," and in the early 1970s, he teamed up with Flatt for a pair of albums. 

When it came to his music, Wiseman ignored the constraints of genre. He collaborated with artists ranging from big band leader Woody Herman to singer-songwriter John Prine to funk master Bootsy Collins (in short-lived band The GrooveGrass Boyz), and his discography includes a 1977 salute to Gordon Lightfoot as well as a western swing album called "Songs that Made the Jukebox Play." 

The disparate material is all tied together by Wiseman's distinctive, agile tenor. "I didn't care whether it was 'The Waltz You Saved for Me' or a rock tune," he told The Tennessean in 2012. "I did it my way. I wanted them to know it was my record."

'To be remembered'

Wiseman received a prestigious National Heritage Fellowship — the United States' highest honor in the folk and traditional arts — from the National Endowment of the Arts in 2008. 

A member of the International Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame since 1993, he was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2014.

"I'd given up on it, to be honest," he told The Tennessean after the announcement. "But when they called and told me, it was the biggest thing musically that's ever happened to me." 

During the medallion ceremony in which Wiseman was officially welcomed into the Hall, musicians Jim Lauderdale, Vince Gill and Charlie Daniels paid tribute to him by performing some of his best-known songs. 

In 2017, Wiseman put his life story to music on the album "I Sang the Song." He wrote 10 new songs in nine Sunday afternoons with Peter Cooper and Thomm Jutz, who co-produced the record.

"I Sang the Song" featured a top-notch roster of guest stars, including Prine, Shawn Camp and Sierra Hull. The album's "Going Back to Bristol," which was sung by Camp, topped the bluegrass charts; it was the 91-year-old Wiseman's first No. 1 hit as a songwriter. 

Wiseman sang lead (in the same key he did six decades before, he proudly noted) on the record's closing track, a new version of " 'Tis Sweet to Be Remembered," with Alison Krauss contributing ethereal harmony vocals:

'Tis sweet to be remembered on a bright or gloomy day

'Tis sweet to be remembered by a dear one far away

'Tis sweet to be remembered, remembered, remembered

'Tis sweet to be remembered when you are far away.

-- Juli Thanki, The Tennessean 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Roma -- Love Alfonso Cuarón's dreamscape work. Movie should be seen in a theatre setting.

BlacKkKlansman -- Spike Lee was robbed again. One of the great wrongs in the history of the Oscars was Spike Lee not being nominated for Do the Right Thing -- BlacKkKlansman is the bookend to Do the Right Thing. The Academy has almost completely ignored Spike's genius, and chose to reward cultural revisionist trash instead.

Green Book -- I'm a great admirer of Don Shirley, and the man deserved a better representation than Peter Farrelly's retrograde, serio-comic racist clichés. The family of Don Shirley has been protesting the screenplay and production of the movie for years, and then the screenwriter has the gall to say (post-Academy Award) that he never knew the Shirley family existed. Interesting interpretation against earlier interviews Nick Vallelonga and Farrelly gave defending their screenplay because of Shirley family protests. 

Bohemian Rhapsody/A Star Is Born -- I don't understand the hype. Bohemian Rhapsody is a standard-issue biopic that glossed over the main character, but had a good last 10 minutes -- Bryan Singer has been a pariah for years, and should have stayed under his dirty ashtray. A Star Is Born is a fourth remake with nothing new to say on the misogyny front -- "Shal-la-la-la-la-low" is beyond annoying. Give me the 1954 version and Judy Garland in the subtle single camera/single shot scene singing The Man That Got Away, as James Mason watches in wonderment, mesmerized by her talent and vitality, and everything his dissipation has taken from him. George Cukor cannot be topped.

Olivia Colman rightly deserved her Academy Award; performance and character perfection. The woman is beyond gifted.

I'm a big fan of street food, commercial food processing and agricultural equipment videos. 

Steve Hall is a hoot. I've done the White Swedish lutefisk dinner; smells weird, tastes okay, but what's with all the white sauce?

Your posts are never boring, Pearlite.

Okay, we're at our usual table in the Dorothy Parker Lounge here, where Bohemian Rhapsody & A Star is Revived are concerned. I've just stuffed 20$CAD in the pianist's brandy snifter 'cause I'm in the mood for some Cole Porter. We can reminisce about Judy and James Mason--now there was an attractive man...along with Gary Merrill from that time period. And Mason's performance is in every film textbook [I've taught film for years].

There's always going to be a damn biopic in the Oscar list--William Goldman was on target when he said that what triumphed at Oscars were medicinal movies. I've watched the iTunes trailer for A Star twice, and all I see is cliche and some blockbuster colour grading [that old turquoise and orange thing]. I prefer Bradley Cooper as a raccoon, I think. And BR is, as you say, a paint by numbers item that relies on Queen's music and secondly on Raimi Malek's skilful impersonation of FM.

I fogot about The Wife. PLL and I waited for it to appear on iTunes--we love some Glen Close--and other than her performance, it was so badly constructed. We felt bad.

You actually cooked lutefisk? Kudos.

And puffed-up single mom [I'd love to buy PLL some real estate]--University of Toronto gave her 35K as a welcome home gift to start her PhD.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, pearlite said:

Okay, we're at our usual table in the Dorothy Parker Lounge here, where Bohemian Rhapsody & A Star is Revived are concerned. I've just stuffed 20$CAD in the pianist's brandy snifter 'cause I'm in the mood for some Cole Porter. We can reminisce about Judy and James Mason--now there was an attractive man...along with Gary Merrill from that time period. And Mason's performance is in every film textbook [I've taught film for years].

<snort> A Star is Revived … Good one Pearlite.

I ordered another round of drinks and snacks. Let's chat into the wee hours ...

There's always going to be a damn biopic in the Oscar list--William Goldman was on target when he said that what triumphed at Oscars were medicinal movies. I've watched the iTunes trailer for A Star twice, and all I see is cliche and some blockbuster colour grading [that old turquoise and orange thing]. I prefer Bradley Cooper as a raccoon, I think. And BR is, as you say, a paint by numbers item that relies on Queen's music and secondly on Raimi Malek's skilful impersonation of FM.

My assumption is that it's Hollywood's honoraria to 'best" picture that represents the industry’s view of its role in influencing culture, dreams and commerce.

Bradley Cooper was slapped down by the nominating committees (No best director nom). Get in line and wait your turn Newb.

I though Rami Malek portrayed Freddie Mercury beautifully. The weakness was bleaching out his homosexuality, when that was an intrinsic part of the man. A band named Queen didn't have a gay man in attendance? It was insulting.

I fogot about The Wife. PLL and I waited for it to appear on iTunes--we love some Glen Close--and other than her performance, it was so badly constructed. We felt bad.

There's a quote (Katherine Hepburn, maybe) about the Oscars that goes something like "The right person wins for the wrong movie." -- In other words excellent films and performances that lose out or don't make the list in the past are rewarded when the opportunity arises. 

Glenn Close was superb in The Wife, but the viewer was forced to watch an abysmal movie to see her performance -- My assumption why she lost. The voters were reminded that the movie was a stinker.

Olivia Colman gave a great performance in an excellent film. Beautiful cinematography, editing, wardrobe, excellent script and a terrific supporting cast -- Why it didn't garner more juice post-nomination I can't say. The Favorite should have done better during the awards season.

You actually cooked lutefisk? Kudos.

A college roommate was from Minnesota. Her mother sent a Care Package with most of the ingredients for a White Swedish dinner. It was … um, an experience. Interesting process (preferring fresh to the rehydrated salt cod) and an acquired taste. The roommate tearfully reminisced about past Swedish dinners, while the rest of us tried to be gracious about what we were eating. The smell of lutefisk hung around for days, even with the windows and doors open.  

And puffed-up single mom [I'd love to buy PLL some real estate]--University of Toronto gave her 35K as a welcome home gift to start her PhD.

That's wonderful! Big hugs to Pearlilelite.

• Love 9

M. LaTour and I have been spring cleaning all day. I do love the smell of window cleaner, furniture polish and Pine Sol.  Not really but the sunlight pouring in through sparkling windows and making the wood gleam like good sherry is invigorating.

• Love 10
On 3/2/2019 at 3:32 PM, valleycliffe said:

does he die at the end of show?

don't mind finding out endings before i see a show..

i also read the last page of a book before i read it.

Spoiler
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, pearlite said:

James Mason was always so subtly unforgettable.  His last film, "The Shooting Party" is one of my favorites.  I remember it was released not long after his death.  What a cast!

Gary Merrill had that spark - remember how superb he was in All about Eve?  Hugh Marlowe, too - again, perfect cast.  Celeste Holm.....not to mention Bette Davis, George Sanders and Thelma Ritter!  She had a line in that movie full of perfect lines -  What a story! Everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end. - that will live forever.

I saw Roma in the theater - Cuaron owes me at least an hour of my life back.  For me, beautiful cinematograhy palls pretty fast without something to grip my interest.  I know that mileage varies on that.   I liked "The Favourite", love Olivia Colman and can't wait to see her in the new episodes of The Crown.  My favorite of the nominated best picture films was BlacKkKlansman.

You and PLL have got so many good things to choose from!

ETA - Have you seen "Eighth Grade"?

Edited by boes
  • Love 6

I just spent two hours reading this forum starting from last year. I have been sitting home, feeling sorry for myself,  convalescing this week and you all just made my day. Week actually. 

I sadly have not seen any of the Oscar movies, nor the Oscars this year. I was so sick of the hype. Plus lately I'd rather watch from the comfort of my couch, with wine and cats, being able to pee when I want.  I did however just watch the Wes Anderson film Isle of Dogs and absolutely loved it.

Also wanted to reach out to  @Crosby777 and tell you how terribly sorry I am about your mom. It's a horrible thing to go through and I hope you are doing okay <3

• Love 11
2 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

I just spent two hours reading this forum starting from last year. I have been sitting home, feeling sorry for myself,  convalescing this week and you all just made my day. Week actually. 

I sadly have not seen any of the Oscar movies, nor the Oscars this year. I was so sick of the hype. Plus lately I'd rather watch from the comfort of my couch, with wine and cats, being able to pee when I want.  I did however just watch the Wes Anderson film Isle of Dogs and absolutely loved it.

Also wanted to reach out to  @Crosby777 and tell you how terribly sorry I am about your mom. It's a horrible thing to go through and I hope you are doing okay ❤️

I'm really happy that this forum made you feel better.  It does the same for me.

And I also loved Isle of Dogs!

• Love 11
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:53 PM, pearlite said:

A nice pic from PLL—we still have equestrian units—I love them!

On College Street for TO people. 

2A7AC358-530B-4B98-AACD-FD166289F096.jpeg

Beautiful Percheron crosses; they are a lot of horse to ride. Horse units are terrific for crowd control.

• Love 6

Beautiful horses. I saw a couple in Montreal a few weeks back when there was a small protest in the streets. Two cops were riding on horseback. The horses were gorgeous and I couldn't stop staring at them. And I had to resist the urge to reach out and try and pet them, heh. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Beautiful horses. I saw a couple in Montreal a few weeks back when there was a small protest in the streets. Two cops were riding on horseback. The horses were gorgeous and I couldn't stop staring at them. And I had to resist the urge to reach out and try and pet them, heh. 

I'm the same! A dedicated horse-patter! [and dog-patter, cat-ear/chin stroker]!

• Love 7

Why do people fast for Lent? -- And six other questions you were too embarrassed to ask on Ash Wednesday

Welcome to my nightmare -- Daylight saving time begins Sunday: 8 things to know about “springing forward”

Skijoring: How to ski with a horse pulling you

800.jpeg

Santa Anita cancels racing after 21 horse deaths                                                                                                            

920x920.jpg

Time exposure photo provided by the Santa Barbara County Fire Department shows a series of lightning strikes over Santa Barbara, Calif., seen from Stearns Wharf in the city's harbor

Evacuations in California take place as storm approaches

• Love 8

I will be happy when Daylight Saving Time begins because I will gain an hour. Right now I'm waking up at around 4:30, mostly because of my animals, but when DST takes effect it will be 5:30. So, yay, can't wait. Sorry it's a nightmare for you @Cupid Stunt.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, AngelKitty said:

I will be happy when Daylight Saving Time begins because I will gain an hour. Right now I'm waking up at around 4:30, mostly because of my animals, but when DST takes effect it will be 5:30. So, yay, can't wait. Sorry it's a nightmare for you @Cupid Stunt.

me too angelkitty except mine is 4am...

• Love 7

I personally hate Daylight Savings Time. I lose an hour of sleep. Makes me want to cry. 

Got a new cell phone today. Very happy with it so far, although I haven't tried speaking on it yet, hah. It cost me nothing with a 2 year plan, and I got 3 GB extra a month for no additional cost. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

I was just watching CBS This Morning doing a story on mislabeled fish and I just had to say something to somebody and you guys are it. As I've said before, I was in the party fishing business for many years and my ex-husband had been a fisherman basically all his life. He told me a long time ago that what you buy at the fish department is not always what it says because once a fish has been filleted they mostly look the same. We used to give people codfish and tell them it was haddock and they would say it was the best haddock they had ever eaten and really it was just the freshest. Even scallops are sometimes switched with cod cheeks or skate.

• Useful 6
  • Love 4
(edited)
17 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

15 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

me too angelkitty except mine is 4am...

I don't sleep well under the best of circumstances, so falling back or springing forward pokes holes in what rest I do get. That one hour change makes for a couple weeks of jet lag. Mid-day and I'm crashing, head on my desk trying to catch up. 

An animal's internal clock/circadian rhythm follows the seasonal rise and fall of the sun, where domestic animals have more issues with their human caretakers timekeeping versus their internal clock. We fixed Melvin's morning feeding ritual by having an automated feeder dispense food on an adjusted clock (it waxes or wanes within 15 minutes during the time change period) everyday. It eliminates "I'm Staaaaarving! Why Are You Torturing MEEEEE?" morning lunacy. 

It's simple. I want Congress to pick the one with the most sunlight and stop the meddling with their citizen's internal clocks.

10 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I personally hate Daylight Savings Time. I lose an hour of sleep. Makes me want to cry. 

I'm with you, Jewel.

Random emotional responses, comfort eating, falling asleep at the drop of a pin, headachy, no energy, skin doesn't fit … The whole gamut of sleep deprivation symptoms.

Got a new cell phone today. Very happy with it so far, although I haven't tried speaking on it yet, hah. It cost me nothing with a 2 year plan, and I got 3 GB extra a month for no additional cost. 

That's a good deal. 

2 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I was just watching CBS This Morning doing a story on mislabeled fish and I just had to say something to somebody and you guys are it. As I've said before, I was in the party fishing business for many years and my ex-husband had been a fisherman basically all his life. He told me a long time ago that what you buy at the fish department is not always what it says because once a fish has been filleted they mostly look the same. We used to give people codfish and tell them it was haddock and they would say it was the best haddock they had ever eaten and really it was just the freshest. Even scallops are sometimes switched with cod cheeks or skate.

There's a lot of deliberate mislabeling of food stuffs -- fish, olive oil, wine, truffles, cheese, organic labeling, spices, branded hybrid fruit and vegetables, you name it -- to profiteer on the cachet of premium products and their premium prices. I have the luxury of living on the Left Coast, and buy my fish at the wholesale market, but reputable groceries are to be found. There's always the joy of catching your own local fish in season …

; ) 

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 10

Alex Trebek announced that he has been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Cancer is bad; pancreatic cancer is very bad; stage 4 is very, very bad. Yet Trebek’s video announcing this is classic him: He is unflappable. He is matter-of-fact. And he closes with a joke when all you want to do while watching it is cry.

The first aviation disaster caught on film

San Francisco cost of living: A cookie factory's story

Massive 700-pound alligator found in Georgia

massive-alligator-weighing-about-700-pou

• Love 2

I'm with you, Jewel.

Random emotional responses, comfort eating, falling asleep at the drop of a pin, headachy, no energy, skin doesn't fit … The whole gamut of sleep deprivation symptoms.

This is it exactly. I hate DST. It takes me a good week to start feeling normal again.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I took a screenshot of this because it’s so useful. I’m 🌱 Vegan but work in grocery and family is Omni and this is helpful. I feel like sometimes this happens in food in general. I know at my store and previous chain as well many x used organic produce due to surplus or price in the salad bar and hot bar or deli, but not labeled it because you have to use certain cleansers for the utensils or pans. Sometimes in our bar we use higher quality cheese or meat or liquors for the food and drinks (we have bars in my store) than charged the same or less because it’s what we have on hand extra or open from tastings.

There are some states that are daylight savings time exempt. I don’t really like it either. I think it was all a concept of the railroad. For me the days get dark early or stay light later regardless of the “spring forward” or “fall back”.giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c814c53376f786759

“I know you said you are what you think you are...But it can’t hurt to check”

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

This is it exactly. I hate DST. It takes me a good week to start feeling normal again.

Absolutely!

I have some early classes--8:00AM, and it's just started to be light when I'm driving. And now...back to the darkness in the morning. I love spring and light, so I start checking sunrise/sunset times in January. DST guarantees that extra hour of early darkness.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

It's simple. I want Congress to pick the one with the most sunlight and stop the meddling with their citizen's internal clocks.

Well, that's the thing, isn't it? There's no reason to switch back and forth that I can see. It would be nice to just pick one and never change again.

• Love 7

As for Alex Trebek, I am sad he has to go through that but I'm concerned about him planning to continue working. I know that's brave and all but fighting cancer takes a lot out of you and he needs to get lots of rest and to be stress-free.

And @Cupid Stunt, you have to stop putting funny and sad things on the same post. I don't know if I should like, laugh or cry. 😁

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

I took a screenshot of this because it’s so useful. I’m 🌱 Vegan but work in grocery and family is Omni and this is helpful. I feel like sometimes this happens in food in general. I know at my store and previous chain as well many x used organic produce due to surplus or price in the salad bar and hot bar or deli, but not labeled it because you have to use certain cleansers for the utensils or pans. Sometimes in our bar we use higher quality cheese or meat or liquors for the food and drinks (we have bars in my store) than charged the same or less because it’s what we have on hand extra or open from tastings.

My local grocer follows the same process with their food bars and deli. The food is still delicious. It's a lot of work, special training and expense to maintain legitimate organic labeling in grocery stores.

There are some states that are daylight savings time exempt. I don’t really like it either. I think it was all a concept of the railroad. For me the days get dark early or stay light later regardless of the “spring forward” or “fall back”.

Arizona or Hawaii don't observe DST because they get plenty of sunlight all year. You might be thinking of time zones with the railroads.

DST was deployed by the US government to conserve fuel during WWI.

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c814c53376f786759

“I know you said you are what you think you are...But it can’t hurt to check”

Trash Panda is trying to find the opening in order to get to the ooey gooey center.

• Love 7
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Trash Panda is trying to find the opening in order to get to the ooey gooey center.

[Authoritative TV announcer voice on]

"Yes, folks, speaking to you from the Six, the 416, TO, the Trash Panda Capital of North America, we can authoritatively say that raccoon is up to no good and should not be around domestic cats."

"And in breaking new product news, if last season's charcoal ice cream was a bit tame for you...try this new snack!"

IMG_3401.jpg

Edited by pearlite
  • LOL 9
(edited)

In case I'm not around tomorrow, let me wish you Preverts of the Goddess persuasion an early Happy International Women's Day!   (And, yeah, DST blows.)

Mimosa.jpg

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 13
12 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

In case I'm not around tomorrow, let me wish you Preverts of the Goddess persuasion an early Happy International Women's Day!   (And, yeah, DST blows.)

Mimosa.jpg

International Women’s Day: Strikes, protests and holidays 

And now a musical interlude from legends Aretha Franklin and Annie Lenox …

Scientists discover different kind of killer whale off Chile

f-whales-a-20190309-870x884.jpg

Pay attention to the growing wave of climate change lawsuits -- Kids, farmers, fishermen, cities, and states are suing the fossil fuel industry and governments. 

The kids suing the government over climate change want to halt fossil fuel extraction -- The plaintiffs in Juliana v. United States say they’ve been denied their right to a safe and stable climate.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Mimosa.jpg

Thank you 😊 giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c82fd543166344959

• Love 9
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:40 PM, peacheslatour said:

M. LaTour and I have been spring cleaning all day. I do love the smell of window cleaner, furniture polish and Pine Sol.  Not really but the sunlight pouring in through sparkling windows and making the wood gleam like good sherry is invigorating.

You inspired me to wash walls, clean/replace the refrigerator/freezer/ice machine/water/vent filters, wash windows and light fixtures, clean and reorganize the pantry, sort winter vs spring clothes, pack bags for SXSW trip, prepare saltwater fishing and kitesurfing gear for vacation … 

My shoulders and arms are killing me.

• Love 7