Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, pearlite said:

Change of pace. Because I think a lot of us are getting kind of frayed at the edges--virus-wise, nothing desperate here, but masks became mandatory in all public venues today.

Amen!  This is a tough time to navigate and even tougher to handle the daily changes and emotions that come along.  Kiddo went back to summer care at the school yesterday.  For that I am thankful, he is finally back around his peers and has some authority that isn’t terrible old mom.  I did start to miss him after a bit tho 🤣.   They are required to wear masks and he had his on before we even left the house.  I said hey buddy you don’t have to put it on yet, not until we get to the school.  He was says he likes it, he thinks it’s cool.  Ok, then.  Rock on!

• Love 8
(edited)
14 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Hi all - I've been laying low, in a funk.  Doesn't happen often, but until I grapple with it, being the true only child that I am, I sort of retreat.  I'm (mostly) over it now.....mostly.  Not to dwell, but I feel a little overwhelmed by the news and the fact that this virus is back as virulently as it was when it started.  What was the shutdown for?  My state, Maryland, is looking good, but in states all around us, there are spikes.  And the outlook does not look good.  Over the weekend, I saw several talking heads who have served in both Democratic and Republican administrations say that we are at the end of the line, almost to a point of no return, in containing this virus.  Yet, as I look around, other countries with far less than the US are open!  Anyhow, enough of that.....lest I be removed from these forums due to a political outburst!  Mr. Lovesmesome won't even watch the news with me anymore, I scream at the t.v. like a crazy person.

Not so crazy when everyone else is on their last nerve as the bottom of the barrel is being scraped, lovesme.

It's near impossible to keep a level head or decent thought in your heart when everywhere you turn is either reckless stupidity, hopeless crap or rage-inducing incompetency. The chaos is real.

After posting my news aggregate, I don't have anything Rah! Rah! Just Let A Smile Be Your Umbrella spirit/boat-raising or diplomatic to share. I'm angry/afraid/dispirited/exhausted and want to pull the blankets over my head until it's over. Then I get up.

I keep telling myself that Jesus don't need no cowards.

Keep on keepin' on, lovesme.

@Cupid Stunt, I am so happy to hear that your MIL was well enough to go out for a walk in the garden!  I am sure that lifted everyone's spirits.  Hope you enjoy the week with your family. 

With everything going on, being with my family has taken on added significance. And I love being here.

MIL is improving daily, in spite of the chronic fever, and aches and pains. She rides her stationary bike a few more yards every day, and is taking regular outdoor walks now. Her doctors are making positive noises, and FIL is keeping a good though while taking care of himself. She told me the first real out-of-town trip she wants to take is to my parent's ranch. Odd request since she never much cared for Owen's Valley, but things have changed. You want to collect eggs, clean stalls, bring lunch to the field workers, hang clean towels on the line, scrub pots and wash the kitchen floor, play cards after dinner? Okay. My mother will welcome it, because many hands make light work.

Also loved your recipe for Panzanella Salad.....similar to one I use, except the recipe I use also has some cucumber and a tiny amount of red onion.  I might try yours, as I like the addition of the anchovies!

It's one of those recipes that perfect for cool additions like cucumbers or julienned jicama, a few briny yellow peppers, feta or shaved parmesan. The minced anchovies give the salad a savory umami that doesn't overwhelm. 

My mother made this salad for the Fourth. So good ... 

13 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The house is supposed to close on Thurs. Ah yes, the dip. I hope Ohio Songbird chimes in because I don't ever measure anything. Here we go:

Equal parts sour cream and cream cheese (I use the whipped kind with chives)

Minced sweet onion (Walla Walla Sweet or similar) about half a cup

Minced green onion, same amount

Celery seed. I can't stress this enough. About two tsps.

Garlic. I use the dried, minced but I'm sure fresh is fine. About one to two tsps.

Salt and pepper.

I serve it with Ruffles because it's thick and needs a strong chip to hold up. I believe Ohio serves it with Ritz crackers.

I make this all the time. It's become a Halloween party staple. It is heavenly stuff and there's never any left over

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Yep......same here.  Depending on how much I want to make, mix equal parts of cream cheese (I always keep soft plain around for bagels) and sour cream.  Mix well.  Thin down with olive juice till desired consistency. Then add real minced onion and garlic (I do cheat and use  jarred garlic) to proportion, celery seed (lots), dried chives, dried parsley, dried celery flakes, S&P, dash of Worcesertershire sauce (makes everything better).  It's so good for dip (veggies, chips, crackers, etc), on baked potatoes, in deviled eggs, potato salad, use your imagination.  I make it often.  Made some for the weekend and hubs took the last of it with veggies for lunch today.

Give it a try.......get creative!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The house is supposed to close on Thurs. Ah yes, the dip. I hope Ohio Songbird chimes in because I don't ever measure anything. Here we go:

Equal parts sour cream and cream cheese (I use the whipped kind with chives)

Minced sweet onion (Walla Walla Sweet or similar) about half a cup

Minced green onion, same amount

Celery seed. I can't stress this enough. About two tsps.

Garlic. I use the dried, minced but I'm sure fresh is fine. About one to two tsps.

Salt and pepper.

I serve it with Ruffles because it's thick and needs a strong chip to hold up. I believe Ohio serves it with Ritz crackers.

Oh my!  This sounds like a better version onion dip.....I am definitely trying this!  My mouth is watering just reading it!

Thank you!

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Oh my!  This sounds like a better version onion dip.....I am definitely trying this!  My mouth is watering just reading it!

Thank you!

I'm warning you, it's addictive as hell. I only make it twice a year because my husband basically mainlines it. The funny thing is, I always thought I got the recipe from my aunt but she said not. It must have been my mom's best friend who was a fantastic cook. Oh, her fried chicken....um. I'll be in my bunk.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I keep telling myself that Jesus don't need no cowards.

Keep on keepin' on, lovesme.

Your post made me smile.  I'm Episcopalian - my dad was Greek Orthodox and as soon as his father passed away , dad converted and became an Episcopalian.  My mom was a Southern Baptist, who also converted when my dad did.  Anyhow, Episcopalians have nuns, just like Catholics do.  There was a large convent in Catonsville, MD, where my mother started going when she and my dad were going through their divorce.  It's a beautiful place, far removed from the city sounds, rolling hills, just gorgeous.  My mom developed a really close relationship with one of the nuns named Sr. Ruth Angela who, at that time, was in her late 70's.  She became a nun in her 40's (!!) after working in New York as a fashion designer.  She was very artistic, did wood carvings, and because she had lived a life outside of the convent was easy to talk to.  She was far more outspoken than I think others at the convent would have liked - she had her own little cottage at the bottom of a hill, where you'd find her all the time, carving away.  I think she was also the oldest nun there, so she got away with more!

Anyhow, the convent had an ancient printing press, and they made all these little cards, all different sizes, with different sayings on them, mostly religious.  I have three of them, two of which are tacked on my memo board in my home office - I've had them since I was 18 or 19 years old.  One says "A diamond is a chunk of coal that stood up under pressure" (my mom gave me this one, as I was beside myself when my parents separated), another says "stand for something or you'll fall for anything" with a cross on it.

The third one, my mother had in an ornate sterling frame, that I found in her nightstand after she passed away.  It says "God don't make no junk".

That was the long way around the barn, wasn't it?  LOL!  Thank you for prompting me to remember that "Jesus don't need no cowards!!"

• Love 6
(edited)
23 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm warning you, it's addictive as hell. I only make it twice a year because my husband basically mainlines it. The funny thing is, I always thought I got the recipe from my aunt but she said not. It must have been my mom's best friend who was a fantastic cook. Oh, her fried chicken....um. I'll be in my bunk.

I like french onion dip and have been buying a lowfat version at the grocery store.  I remember my mom used to make one from scratch, I just don't have the recipe!  I can't wait to try yours!  Thank you, again.

I have gotten some great recipe ideas here - thank you all!  I'm still trying to work out my angst and comfort food sounds like a good idea at this point.  I spent 4 hours in the kitchen this morning, making a blueberry tart (which I will post here shortly), meatloaf, macaroni and cheese, spaghetti sauce and stuffed shells.  It's 100 degrees outside, and we ordinarily wouldn't eat this way this time of year, but I feel like I need it.

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Love 6
(edited)

lovesme....it's uncanny how our backgrounds are similar.  I was raised hard-shell Southern Baptist....down home mostly, Mom & Dad rarely attended church up here, but we went every Sunday morning in KY.  Hubby is Espiscopalian (Ohio born and bred) and boychild was baptized by the same Rev. (Price) that baptized hubby.  Come to think of it, he was brought into the world by the same Dr. (Apple...how's that for a name for a doc  😊) that birthed all MIL's kids.

Ahhh...memories.

eta....Rev. Price also married us in the chapel of hubby's church.  He was the epitome of a man of the cloth.  

Edited by OhioSongbird
....wanted to give him the praise he deserved....
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

lovesme....it's uncanny how our backgrounds are similar.  I was raised hard-shell Southern Baptist....down home mostly, Mom & Dad rarely attended church up here, but we went every Sunday morning in KY.  Hubby is Espiscopalian (Ohio born and bred) and boychild was baptized by the same Rev. (Price) that baptized hubby.  Come to think of it, he was brought into the world by the same Dr. (Apple...how's that for a name for a doc  😊) that birthed all MIL's kids.

Ahhh...memories.

My husband and I were married by Reverend Applegate.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

Yep......same here.  Depending on how much I want to make, mix equal parts of cream cheese (I always keep soft plain around for bagels) and sour cream.  Mix well.  Thin down with olive juice till desired consistency. Then add real minced onion and garlic (I do cheat and use  jarred garlic) to proportion, celery seed (lots), dried chives, dried parsley, dried celery flakes, S&P, dash of Worcesertershire sauce (makes everything better).  It's so good for dip (veggies, chips, crackers, etc), on baked potatoes, in deviled eggs, potato salad, use your imagination.  I make it often.  Made some for the weekend and hubs took the last of it with veggies for lunch today.

Give it a try.......get creative!

I use this version of the recipe.  The olive juice is a great addition. Everyone loves this dip, but I haven't made it in a while.  Thanks @OhioSongbird and @peacheslatour

Okay, I made some stuffed mushrooms this week, just slightly different from my usual recipe.  Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Hubby inhaled these and has deemed them "best ever".

• scooped out shrooms
  • shredded mozzarella (instead of the usual cheddar)
  • grated parmesan (preferably fresh)
  • cream cheese (not a lot)
  • crumbled bacon
  • sauteed spinach, chopped
  • horsedradish
  • worcestershire
  • garlic (I used powder but fresh would be better)
  • chopped green onions
  • pepper
  • paprika
  • cayenne

Want More Eating GIF

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, bannana said:

I use this version of the recipe.  The olive juice is a great addition. Everyone loves this dip, but I haven't made it in a while.  Thanks @OhioSongbird and @peacheslatour

Okay, I made some stuffed mushrooms this week, just slightly different from my usual recipe.  Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Hubby inhaled these and has deemed them "best ever".

• scooped out shrooms
  • crumbled bacon
  • horsedradish
  • worcestershire
  • chopped green onions
  • pepper
  • paprika
  • cayenne

Want More Eating GIF

Dayum! My husband would go crazy for this. Thank you!

• Love 5
(edited)

jenny-holzer-protect-me-times-square.jpg

Survival Series (1983–85), 1985 © 1985 Jenny Holzer, member Artists Rights Society (ARS), NY/Photo: John Marchael

Window into virus surge: Death, recovery at Houston hospital

‘Desperation science’ slows the hunt for coronavirus drugs

The Week America Lost Control of the Pandemic -- Related: Florida invited the nation to its reopening, then it became a new coronavirus epicenter

Two COVID-19-ravaged churches take different recovery paths 

Most People With Coronavirus Won’t Spread It. Why Do a Few Infect Many?

Immunity to the coronavirus is ‘fragile’ and ‘short-lived,’ immunologist warns

The Dangerous Race for the Covid-19 Vaccine -- The international competition for a coronavirus vaccine harkens back to the golden age of Edison and the Wright Brothers. But excesses of national pride and one-upmanship are threatening to overwhelm the common good.

1000.jpeg

In this June 27, 2020, file photo, medical personnel prepare to test hundreds of people lined up in vehicles in Phoenix's western neighborhood of Maryvalefor free COVID-19 tests organized by Equality Health Foundation, which focuses on care in underserved communities. The personal protective gear that was in dangerously short supply during the initial weeks of the coronavirus crisis in the U.S. is running out again as the virus resumes its rapid spread and the number of hospitalized patients climbs. (AP Photo/Matt York, File)

Protective gear for medical workers begins to run low again

July 7 Updates: US Health Department is launching testing sites in Covid-19 hotspots around the US

Nearly half the employees at an Arizona ICE detention center have tested positive for COVID-19 -- One guard has died. Two employees and 14 migrants say a staff shortage has left detainees in cells without access to showers, laundry and other necessities.

200704-foodinsecurity-ap-773.jpg

People line up for a Chicago food giveaway sponsored by the Greater Chicago Food Depository in May. | AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast

Millions of Americans going hungry as pandemic erodes incomes and destroys communities -- “There's going to be an enormous wave of people who are going to need our services. We alone can't create a strong enough safety net for the need that’s coming." -- Related: Stark racial disparities emerge as families struggle to get enough food

Exhausted cities face another challenge: a surge in violence

Navajo Nation faces twin threats as wildfires spread during pandemic -- Hit hard by Covid-19, Arizona faces heightened danger from smoke, flames and possible evacuations

Canada’s “national shame”: Covid-19 in nursing homes -- Nursing homes account for 81 percent of Covid-19 deaths in the country.

Australia deals with virus spike; Serbia erupts in violence

Africa’s confirmed COVID-19 cases now above a half-million

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has downplayed virus fears for months -- And he tested positive with The Corona -- Related: Brazil’s president says hydroxychloroquine to cure his virus -- Got to flog the idea of off-label use of hydroxychloroquine. That stockpile isn't gonna' sell itself.

216059.jpg

DeVos blasts school districts that hesitate at reopening -- Show us the money to maintain a coronavirus cleaning regimen. -- Related: Debates turn emotional as schools decide how and if to open -- No one wants to volunteer their child to enter the maw of incompetency and disease.

States sue US department over virus relief funds for schools

Florida schools must reopen with in-person instruction, education commissioner says -- The order comes as coronavirus cases in the state continue to surge, prompting concerns from some educators.

US cuts World Health Organization ties over virus response

Novavax, maker of a Covid-19 vaccine, is backed by Operation Warp Speed

James Baldwin Was Right All Along -- The writer and activist has the painful, powerful words for this political moment. America just needs to heed them.

Monuments and statues are falling. But what comes next? -- Related: 2 face hate crime charge after allegedly vandalizing Black Lives Matter mural in California

Walmart donates $100K to replace Arkansas' Confederate-linked statues at the US Capitol

Video shows facility staff restraining Black teen who died

Civil rights leaders are still fed up with Facebook over hate speech -- Keep squeezing FBs advertisers.

Civil rights groups denounce Facebook over hate speech -- Related: Facebook civil rights audit: ‘Serious setbacks’ mar progress

Malaysian palm oil giant hit with forced labor allegations

Mo' Money, Mo' Problems:

Seattle passes payroll tax targeting Amazon and other big businesses -- The legislation uses a tiered system of taxation, with the highest level designated for companies with annual payroll expenses of more than $1 billion.

Lordvoldemort.jpg

How J. K. Rowling Became Voldemort -- The backlash against the Harry Potter creator is a growing pain of her fandom and bottom line. -- JK Rowling joins 150 public figures warning over free speech -- Related: A Letter on Justice and Open Debate -- “You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.” -- Attributed to Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Ignored by doctors, trans people turn to dangerous underground treatments -- Many individuals resort to black market hormones and surgeries when they can’t find gender-affirming health care.

Nature or Nurture? -- 30 Years Ago, Romania Deprived Thousands of Babies of Human Contact -- Here’s what’s become of them.

The Boogaloo Tipping Point -- What happens when a meme becomes a terrorist movement? -- Threatening people with Hawaiian shirts, semi-automatic weapons and a dozen full magazines isn't a clue?

No Exit: US general sees smaller but enduring troop presence in Iraq

Serbia sends mixed signals on virus lockdown after clashes

Ethiopia’s week of unrest sees 239 dead, 3,500 arrested

Hottest commodity in Lebanon’s economic chaos: The US dollar

Clearview AI stops offering facial recognition technology in Canada

1000.jpeg

This photo taken by a camera trap shows a group of Cross River gorillas in the Mbe Mountains of Nigeria on Monday, June 22, 2020. Conservationists have captured the first images of a group of rare Cross River gorillas with multiple babies in the Mbe mountains of Nigeria, proof that the subspecies once feared to be extinct is reproducing amid protection efforts. (WCS Nigeria via AP)

Rare gorillas in Nigeria captured on camera with babies

An Italian glacier is turning pink. And that's not good news

Dakota Access pipeline shutdown may revive oil-by-rail industry -- Equals a major railroad infrastructure upgrade?

A new comet is now visible with the naked eye -- End of the Worlders Untie!

It's the month of Mars! 3 Red Planet missions set to launch in July

Five kitchen essentials for a vegan and vegetarian lifestyle

9 of the US's wildest, weirdest and most spectacular outdoor art experiences

Bring your old bike back to life with these pro restoration tips -- New bicycles are hard to come by, but your old beater could be ready to ride again.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, bannana said:

• scooped out shrooms
  • crumbled bacon
  • horsedradish
  • worcestershire
  • chopped green onions
  • pepper
  • paprika
  • cayenne

Want More Eating GIF

Want_avatar_text_black.png?1510839221

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

bananna......did you use large portabella caps or the baby ones?  Or whites?  We love stuffed mushrooms.  Them and a salad...ya got yourself a meal!

Exactly, last night we had ribs and the rest of the mushrooms as our meal.  I made a large enough batch that I just refrigerated (unbaked) the rest and we baked them last night.

I don't use the large portabella mushrooms, but you certainly could.  I use crimini (baby bella) because they are sturdier and meatier than regular mushrooms, and I like them on the larger size, only cause scooping out the mushrooms is a chore.

Enjoy!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

If you're not reciped out yet......my own creation:

Spinach, Mushroom and Feta Casserole

8 oz sliced mushrooms (I use portabellas)

1/2-3/4 c diced onions

8-10 oz bag fresh spinach

Crumbled plain feta cheese (enough for a nice layer)

Shredded mozzarella 

Seasoned croutons....I use Caesar Salad Croutons

S&P as you desire on the veggies

Saute mushrooms and onions till tender........place in 2 qt greased casserole dish

Saute spinach till tender in the same pan.......place on top of mushroom mix

Layer of feta

Sprinkle mozz over the feta

Layer on the croutons and sprinkle a little bit of mozz on top

Bake uncovered at 350 for 35-40 min....till the croutons are toasted

We have this with mashed potatoes on the side.  Good ole stick-to-your-ribs supper.

Hope you enjoy  it!

• Love 5

Pearlite! Are you under water? We’re at the cottage a little ways outside of Perth, watching the weather in Toronto. It’s still stinking hot here - 35 degrees with a humidex of 41 🔥

(edited)

Screen-Shot-2020-03-23-at-1.44.15-PM.png

San Francisco, California/Leta Sobierajski

Tracking the spread of the novel coronavirus -- LAST UPDATED: JULY 8, 2020 09:47 PM -- At least 548,429 people globally have died from COVID-19 and 12,081,111 have been infected by the novel coronavirus that causes it, following an outbreak that started in Wuhan, China, in early December. The World Health Organization referred to it as a pandemic on March 11, 2020.

Study of 17 Million Identifies Crucial Risk Factors for Coronavirus Deaths

Scientists warn of potential wave of COVID-linked brain damage

Reopening schools safely is going to take much more federal leadership -- Getting schools open again can be done, but it’ll take a lot of money and a real plan. -- We have too little of both.

July 8, 2020 -- Coronavirus Task Force Briefing -- Related: Schools or bars? Opening classrooms may mean hard choices

The CARES Act is vital, historic legislation expiring before its time.

A rabbi explains how to make sense of suffering -- “We’ve been suddenly plunged into an existential crisis, and we’re not a society in general that turns to deep questions of life meaning.”

?m=02&d=20200708&t=2&i=1525088165&w=780&

Demonstrators clash with police officers during an anti-government rally in front of the parliament building in Belgrade, Serbia, July 8, 2020. REUTERS/Marko Djurica

Reuters PICTURES -- WED JUL 8, 2020 -- Demonstrators storm Serbian parliament in protest over lockdown -- Related: Serbia mulls anti-virus rules as clashes erupt over lockdown

Special Report: Bolsonaro bets 'miraculous cure' for COVID-19 can save Brazil and his life -- Related: Bolsonaro now the ‘poster boy’ for dubious COVID treatment

Asia Today: India’s cases jump, transmission rate increase

Ivy League suspends fall sports due to coronavirus pandemic -- Related: Stanford cuts 11 varsity sports programs as the pandemic worsens finances

Major League Baseball's Intake Testing for Coronavirus Produced 66 Positive Results

U.S. exit from World Health Organization will jeopardize global fight against COVID-19, polio, other diseases, experts say

Rooftop revolution: Coronavirus chill upends solar power industry

200703140032-mit-uvc-robot-exlarge-169.j

Bug Zapper 2020 Pat. Pending

MIT-designed robot can disinfect a warehouse floor in 30 minutes -- and could one day be employed in grocery stores and schools

The hidden trackers in your phone, explained -- How covert code enables your phone’s apps to spy on you.

How to make sure Google automatically deletes your data on a regular basis -- The company’s latest privacy measure will delete some users’ data by default, but most will still have to turn the feature on manually.

With ‘judges judging judges,’ rogues on the bench have little to fear

The Supremes:

Jose_9.jpg

Rise In Power - Clarion Alley Mural Project/Jose

Police ignored George Floyd's 'I can't breathe' plea: transcript -- Related: Officer to Floyd: ‘It takes ... a lot of oxygen to talk’

#AskReuters: Why the U.S. protests against police brutality are different this time

What the police really believe -- Inside the distinctive, largely unknown ideology of American policing — and how it justifies racist violence.

Pentagon leaders face grilling on use of military in unrest

1000.jpeg

In this June 7, 2020, file photo, protesters participating in a Black Lives Matter rally march to Downtown Pittsburgh from Mount Washington to protest the death of George Floyd. A national coalition of labor unions, along with racial and social justice organizations, will stage a mass walkout from work July 20, as part of an ongoing reckoning on systemic racism and police brutality in the U.S. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File)

AP Exclusive: ‘Strike for Black Lives’ to highlight racism

The Hairstyling Industry Has a Racism Problem, and It Starts With Beauty School

Lin-Manuel Miranda Addresses Claims That Hamilton Glorifies Slave Owners -- "All the criticisms are valid," the composer and actor tweeted.

The Secret History of the Slave Behind Jack Daniel’s Whiskey

‘We’re Fighting, and We’re Winning’: G.L.I.T.S. Founder Ceyenne Doroshow on Raising More Than $1 Million for the Black Trans Community

Life in the Gray Area: Navigating Racial Injustice as a Mixed-Race Person

CEO apologizes after racist rant targeting Asian American family

Holocaust survivor invites DeSean Jackson to tour Auschwitz after the NFL star's anti-Semitic posts

Lady Antebellum Is Now ‘Lady A.’ But So Is a Blues Singer Who’s Used the Name for 20 Years -- “This is my life. They’re using the name because of a Black Lives Matter incident that, for them, is just a moment in time,” says the original Lady A, a 61-year-old black singer who’s released multiple records under the name -- Related: Lady A, formerly Lady Antebellum, sues blues singer who goes by same name -- The band formerly known as Lady Antebellum changed their name “after much personal reflection” in the wake of George Floyd’s death. 

1000.jpeg

Gravestones are lined up at the memorial cemetery in Potocari, near Srebrenica, Bosnia, Tuesday, July 7, 2020. A quarter of a century after they were killed in Sreberenica, eight Bosnian men and boys will be laid to rest Saturday, July 11. Over 8,000 Bosnian Muslims perished in 10 days of slaughter after the town was overrun by Bosnian Serb forces in the closing months of the country’s 1992-95 fratricidal war. (AP Photo/Kemal Softic)

25 years on, Srebrenica dead still being identified, buried

Deadly Syrian, Russian air strikes in Idlib amount to war crimes, U.N. says

U.S. officials say intel on Russian bounties was less than conclusive. That misses the big picture. -- But the debate over that narrow issue obscures a larger consensus. U.S. intel agencies have long assessed that Russia backs our enemies in Afghanistan.

Mexico identifies remains of another of missing 43 students

Facebook removes disinformation networks tied to Roger Stone and Jair Bolsonaro -- The two operations were entirely distinct, but both used fake accounts to push hyper-partisan, conservative political news stories to domestic audiences.

Map: International student enrollment is in jeopardy. These are the states that would be affected the most. -- Six states had half the international student enrollment. -- Related: Harvard, MIT sue Trump administration over rule that strips visas from international students

tumblr_p2bwquUdj51wn4ajjo1_400.jpg

The man who led Wirecard into insolvency

Mining Australia’s sacred sites -- When mining giant Rio Tinto blew up two ancient caves in Western Australia’s iron-ore rich Pilbara with state approval, the destruction was met with anger from indigenous landowners. There are more than 35,000 lodged or registered Aboriginal  heritage sites   and hundreds of metal and mineral  mines   in the state.

Kanye West says Elon Musk is advising him on his presidential bid. Here's how their friendship began and everything that's happened since. -- Game recognize game. -- In Business News -- Tesla 'very close' to level 5 autonomous driving technology, Musk says

Farmers and animal rights activists are coming together to fight big factory farms

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Pearlite! Are you under water? We’re at the cottage a little ways outside of Perth, watching the weather in Toronto. It’s still stinking hot here - 35 degrees with a humidex of 41 🔥

Nope!

I actually was walking on the street [Roncy] when it started, and I kind of enjoyed it all because I like weather--except snow. The deluge hit just after I got home and flooded the bricked front yard--drained away, though and I still haven't swept up the detritus.

Isn't Perth like Ottawa weather? I recall it being even more humid than Toronto. 31C here today, which is more or less what it's been for days.

14 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

It was brutal here in southern Ohio.  94 F with a heat index of 102.

Oy....

Oh hell, now I have to look that up in C.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

Yup! Right now it’s 34C and feels like 42C. The benefit of being out in the country is that it cools off nicely at night, because there are no buildings/streets/concrete around to retain the heat.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I swear, I am losing my mind. We sold my dad's house to a wealthy woman in Hong Kong. Between the shenanigans of the Chinese government, the weirdness of dealing with overseas banks and the fact that I can't fill out forms to save my life plus having no printer, no scanner and no brains, this has been the most stressful thing I've ever done.

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I swear, I am losing my mind. We sold my dad's house to a wealthy woman in Hong Kong. Between the shenanigans of the Chinese government, the weirdness of dealing with overseas banks and the fact that I can't fill out forms to save my life plus having no printer, no scanner and no brains, this has been the most stressful thing I've ever done.

Peacheslatour, I'm so sorry for this added stress.  Right now, life is tough and uncertain enough.  This just be hard for you on so many levels .

• Love 6
1 minute ago, boes said:

Peacheslatour, I'm so sorry for this added stress.  Right now, life is tough and uncertain enough.  This just be hard for you on so many levels .

Aww, thanks buddy. I wish I could give you a hug. 😗

• Love 6
(edited)

file-20200529-78891-ysq6jg.jpg?ixlib=rb-

A person walks by a mural on a boarded-up window on April 28, 2020, in Seattle, Wash., where public street art has sprung up all over the city. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Dr. Fauci says states with surging Covid-19 cases should pause reopening efforts -- Public health expert made remark after US set world record for most new Covid-19 cases reported in one day -- Related: Medics are down to their last defense with coronavirus swamping their town

Kazakhstan denies Chinese government report that country has 'unknown pneumonia' outbreak more deadly than Covid-19

Americans made 'tremendous sacrifices.' The great reopening of the pandemic summer still got derailed

Judge temporarily blocks Kentucky governor's Covid-19 executive orders the same day he requires masks

'It's the heart of the brand': Disney World reopens as coronavirus cases spike in Florida

brooklyn-street-art-fontesworld-adamfuji

ADAM FUJITA AND FONTES WORLD COLLABORATION (PHOTO © JAIME ROJO)

What we know about coronavirus risks to school age children -- Related: Closing schools 'greater public health risk' than reopening, says top U.S. health official -- Where's the money to implement the CDC guidelines?

Hong Kong said to shut schools again as local virus cases jump

7 prisoners with coronavirus died at San Quentin and hundreds more are dying in US jails and prisons

I’m an epidemiologist and a dad. Here’s why I think schools should reopen. -- Six questions about the safety of kids, teachers, and families, answered. -- Another county heard from: This doctor and his family got the coronavirus when they relaxed rules along with Florida's reopening

More Than 1,000 TSA Employees Test Positive For COVID-19

From the front lines, Black nurses battle twin pandemics of racism and coronavirus

1227637605.jpg.jpg

The chicken statue in front of the Wyomissing, Pennsylvania, Family Restaurant and Bakery on May 28, 2020 -- Ben Hasty/MediaNews Group/Reading Eagle via Getty Images

The appeal and futility of face mask meltdown videos

The U.S. Catholic Church Spent $281,611,817 on Child Sex Abuse Cases in 2019 -- According to a yearly audit of the Catholic Church by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops -- Related: After lobbying, Catholic Church won $1.4B in virus aid

America’s looming housing catastrophe, explained -- “The United States is facing an eviction crisis of biblical proportions.”

US Sikhs tirelessly travel their communities to feed hungry Americans

Black_Lives_Matter_3325.jpg

Linda Beck Kuban (front left) organized a demonstration in support of Black Lives Matter in Thousand Oaks, California. Thousand Oaks and its neighboring suburbs have traditionally been strongholds for the Republican Party in Ventura County -- Todd Bigelow/Contact Press Images

When Black Lives Matter protests come to “Copland” -- What protests in a conservative enclave of California tell us about a changing America.

U.S. Supreme Court deems half of Oklahoma a Native American reservation

Utah governor declares state of emergency during protests over ruling that fatal police shooting was justified

How “abolish ICE” helped bring abolitionist ideas into the mainstream -- Both “abolish the police” and “abolish ICE” have reframed the conversation around criminal justice reform.

Tommie Smith and John Carlos’s 1968 US national anthem protest, explained. -- The story behind this iconic Olympics protest

Why Facebook failed its civil rights audit -- The new, deeply critical report highlights the tension between free expression and hate speech on the social network.

What’s in a name? -- From Aunt Jemima to the Washington Redskins, a racist history is primed to be toppled.

NBC News sets goal of a workforce that is half minority -- Talent, producing or management?

Defense Department:

Germany seizes server hosting pilfered US police files

Fellow Travelers -- Michael Cohen taken into custody for violating terms of his early release from prison

?m=02&d=20200710&t=2&i=1525248416&r=LYNX

Containers are seen at an industrial port in the Keihin Industrial Zone in Kawasaki, Japan September 12, 2018. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon/File Photo

Japan's economy to shrink at fastest pace in decades this fiscal year due to pandemic: Reuters poll

Dutch police discover secret torture site in shipping containers -- First rule of Torture Club ...

Teddy-land-Gary-Larson-Beyond-The-Far-Si

Victory for Yellowstone's grizzly bears as court rules they cannot be hunted -- Fish and Wildlife Service had sought to strip safeguards, which would have allowed a limited number to obtain hunting licenses

'Far Side' cartoonist Gary Larson publishes first new work in 25 years

A lopsided pair of dead stars could reveal some of the universe’s secrets

Tropical Storm Fay forms and will likely make landfall in the Northeast Friday -- Related: A rare heat wave event is forecast this weekend, the National Weather Service says

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5
On 7/9/2020 at 3:01 PM, peacheslatour said:

I am so sorry.  It’s a stressful process when you aren’t including international stuff.  I work in the biz and ughhhhh I love and hate it.  Love the money hate the minutia and bullshit.  Praying over ya that will all be resolved soon.

• Love 6

Hey y’all happy Friday!  I’m on the Coronacoaster sitting front row.  Found out this morning that we won’t be able to stay at my moms house when we go up to visit in a couple weeks.  She said she would meet us out for lunch and at the beach, but that’s it.  Her rheumatologist also won’t clear her for travel so she won’t be coming here in August (for my bday).   I have not seen her since February which is killing me.  On top of all that, our school district announced their fall options and people are out of their minds.  I give up.  The worst comment I saw was from an educator saying y’all just want free child care.  I am sick. That’s not what this is about AT ALL.  Anyway.....happy FriYAY!  I’m cranking the tunes and enjoying my patio and my vino.  😘

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

I am so sorry.  It’s a stressful process when you aren’t including international stuff.  I work in the biz and ughhhhh I love and hate it.  Love the money hate the minutia and bullshit.  Praying over ya that will all be resolved soon.

Thanks, pal. Preverts are the best.

Just now, geauxaway said:

Hey y’all happy Friday!  I’m on the Coronacoaster sitting front row.  Found out this morning that we won’t be able to stay at my moms house when we go up to visit in a couple weeks.  She said she would meet us out for lunch and at the beach, but that’s it.  Her rheumatologist also won’t clear her for travel so she won’t be coming here in August (for my bday).   I have not seen her since February which is killing me.  On top of all that, our school district announced their fall options and people are out of their minds.  I give up.  The worst comment I saw was from an educator saying y’all just want free child care.  I am sick. That’s not what this is about AT ALL.  Anyway.....happy FriYAY!  I’m cranking the tunes and enjoying my patio and my vino.  😘

Sounds great. Play some Steely Dan for me.

• Love 6

15 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Thanks, pal. Preverts are the best.

Sounds great. Play some Steely Dan for me.

I’m on Christopher Cross right now but I’ll put Steely Dan on deck.  Apple Tunes is the best purchase I’ve made this past year.  

• Love 3

I've been humming Gerry Rafferty (City to City LP) all morning.  Gonna pull out Christopher Cross later.  Thanks for the reminder!

Oh...Steely Dan.  Make sure you pull up Kid Charlemagne.  You'll be dancin' on the patio.....

(((hugs))) to peaches and geauxaway.  It will get better.

• Love 4
(edited)

Audubon-Photography-Awards-Amateur-02-An

Amateur Honorable Mention: Bibek Ghosh -- Anna's Hummingbird

The 2020 Audubon Photography Awards: Winners

Fay becomes post-tropical cyclone over eastern New York

Gimme' some sugar!

COVID-19 Dashboard by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University of Medicine

The US is diving into a dark Covid-19 hole and there's no plan to get out -- 50 state Covid-19 plans. 50 opportunities for massive system failure. Mission Accomplished.

Pathologist found blood clots in 'almost every organ' during autopsies on Covid-19 patients

Surprise COVID-19 costs? Loopholes and mix-ups are leading to bills for thousands of dollars

Anatomy Of A COVID-19 Conspiracy Theory -- Who needs a conspiracy when you have real life staring you in the face? 

Expert warns the US is approaching 'one of the most unstable times in the history of our country'

'Broken heart syndrome' has increased during the Covid-19 pandemic, small study suggests

US bets on untested company to deliver COVID-19 vaccine

Virus surge visible across Texas: ‘The tsunami is here’

Los Angeles Apparel ordered closed amid virus outbreak

200709163337-02-lego-summer-at-home-well

5 Lego challenges to make a stay-at-home summer fly

Zoo toy creator puts on a puppet show for his neighborhood with no strings attached

America still doesn’t have enough N95 masks -- Related: Covid-19 testing in the US is abysmal. -- The US never fixed the core causes of its testing problem. So it’s now seeing the same kinds of issues pop up again.

Ohio state lawmaker calls for people to stop getting tested -- Fewer people tested. Lower Covid-19 infection numbers. Mission accomplished.

The debate over reopening America’s K-12 schools, explained -- Related: Why pediatricians are pushing for kids to go back to school in the fall -- What's at stake for kids' development, mental health, nutrition and more. Ignoring the lack of national leadership as the incubating pandemic swirls around us? -- Nation's Pediatricians Walk Back Support For In-Person School

One in four teachers at greater risk from coronavirus -- Related: COVID-19 heroes must jump through hoops for workers’ comp

Foreign students weigh studying in person vs. losing visas -- Related: Christian groups oppose ICE rule on international students

Pac-12 joins Big Ten in eliminating nonconference games

How coronavirus affects the entire body

Speech by Federal Chancellor Angela Merkel on the German Presidency of the Council of the EU 2020 to the European Parliament in Brussels on 8 July 2020 --  "As we are experiencing firsthand, you cannot fight the pandemic with lies and disinformation any more than you can fight it with hate or incitement to hatred," Merkel said. "The limits of populism and denial of basic truths are being laid bare." -- Thank you Madam Chancellor.

2000.jpeg
Horacio Bonafina poses for a photo from inside his home during a government-ordered lockdown to curb the spread of the new coronavirus in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Monday, June 29, 2020. Bonafina, a 36-year-old psychologist, says the quarantine has allowed him to relax and hopes to continue working for home after it's lifted. (AP Photo/Natacha Pisarenko)

Associated Press Photos: Argentines try to find happiness under quarantine -- Related: Brazil LGBTQ group hides from virus in Copacabana building

The term “meritocracy” was originally a satirical term invented by writer Michael Young in 1958 to describe a dystopian society. He is disappointed to see how people now wear the term as a badge of honor -- 'The business meritocracy is in vogue. If meritocrats believe, as more and more of them are encouraged to, that their advancement comes from their own merits, they can feel they deserve whatever they can get. They can be insufferably smug, much more so than the people who knew they had achieved advancement not on their own merit but because they were, as somebody’s son or daughter, the beneficiaries of nepotism. The newcomers can actually believe they have morality on their side.'

California couple agrees to guilty pleas in college scam

Defund Facial Recognition -- I’m a second-generation Black activist, and I’m tired of being spied on by the police.

Black Trans Lives Matter: The LGBTQ fight comes to Hollywood -- Does that mean anime fans can continue grousing about the Asian whitewashing of  'Ghost in the Shell'? It's all cut from the same cloth.

The Supreme Court’s landmark new Native American rights decision, explained -- No, they didn’t give away half of Oklahoma, but it is a big deal.

Why you should absolutely worry about the anti-privacy EARN IT Act

91995fbf-8bf5-4bad-8871-aa1bbff3f525-862

Maya Moore -- SportsPulse Photo/USA TODAY

WNBA player to senator: 'You are on the wrong side of history' -- Speaking of which ...

2000.jpeg

More than 2,000 refugees from the besieged Muslim enclave of Srebrenica arrive on a United Nations convoy, in Tuzla, March 29, 1993. (AP Photo/Michel Euler)
Scenes from hell: 1995 Srebrenica genocide in photos

Turkey’s president formally makes Hagia Sophia a mosque

The Cost of the Evangelical Betrayal -- This wasn't a betrayal or a tradeoff.

Michael Cohen returned to prison where sentence began, as another has their sentence commuted

BB166pz1.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

'Bizarro' by Wayno & Piraro © Provided by Comics Kingdom -- July 11, 2020

Lawyer: Over 150 Minneapolis officers seeking disability

brooklyn-street-art-adam-fujita-jaime-ro

Brooklyn, NY/ Adam Fujita @DirtyBandits

You May Be In Sweatpants, But COVID-19 Hasn't Stopped Haute Couture

This produce queen shares how to pick the best fruits and veggies at the farmer's market this summer

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, OhioSongbird said:

I've been humming Gerry Rafferty (City to City LP) all morning.  Gonna pull out Christopher Cross later.  Thanks for the reminder!

Oh...Steely Dan.  Make sure you pull up Kid Charlemagne.  You'll be dancin' on the patio.....

(((hugs))) to peaches and geauxaway.  It will get better.

My favourite Steely Dan song ❤️

• Love 4

Cupid, thanks for the OutKast parody! Timely around here because "Hey Ya" usually gets a turn on YouTube Drinking Game night.

And then...the hardest working man in show business! How many hours were spent perfecting the James Brown Slide in my questionable adolescence? Many. Love watching Brown's control--he probably fined at least six of the Flames during the course of delivering that song.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
56 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Cupid, thanks for the OutKast parody! Timely around here because "Hey Ya" usually gets a turn on YouTube Drinking Game night.

And then...the hardest working man in show business! How many hours were spent perfecting the James Brown Slide in my questionable adolescence? Many. Love watching Brown's control--he probably fined at least six of the Flames during the course of delivering that song.

I got to see him in 1978. He was fabulous.

• Love 4
(edited)

2_your_fear_thier_power.jpg?itok=gEsRmK0

Cairo, Egypt -- Artist Keizer does not want the Egyptians to back down - he is promoting the revolution by creating an anti-censorship graffiti to encourage all citizens to speak their minds and rally against state oppression.

Coronavirus deaths take a long-expected turn for the worse

Cell phone data show Americans hit the road over July 4, even as coronavirus surged

Bill Gates calls for COVID-19 meds to go to people who need them, not 'highest bidder'

More than 20 million people face eviction by the end of September as GOP threatens to cut aid: study -- Related: Utility shutoffs threaten a fresh crisis for low-income and Black families as Covid surges again

1000.jpeg

In this May 27, 2020, file photo, individual student photographs of Brooklyn's James Madison High School graduating class of 2020, who were unable to walk a graduation stage this year due to the coronavirus pandemic, line the fence around the school in New York. While New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced a hybrid reopen plan in the fall for the nation's largest district, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said it is up to him to decide whether schools can open at all. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)

Education secretary won't say if schools should listen to CDC guidelines on reopening -- Related: Not dangerous: DeVos defends schools reopening according to CDC guidelines -- “There’s nothing in the data that suggests that kids being in school is in any way dangerous,” she said.

‘That’s Crazy’: Reopening Schools Is Possible, but We’re Doing It Wrong -- Economist Emily Oster weighs risks and benefits for a living. She thinks kids could go back to school with the pandemic, but we’re gambling with lives either way—and the political argument is making the whole problem much worse.

Florida shatters US record of single-day Covid-19 cases -- Related: DeSantis seizes power selectively, as he confronts crisis -- “It’s not a penalty until someone throws a flag.”

Researchers: Nearly Half Of Accounts Tweeting About Coronavirus Are Likely Bots

The Latest: WHO says yet another daily record of virus cases

Virus spread, not politics should guide schools, doctors say -- Related: California teachers fight back against pressure to reopen schools -- The standoff in the nation’s largest state underscores the difficult road ahead for governors and local leaders.

Canada's cautious school reopening plans leave moms in the lurch

Churches amid the pandemic: Some outbreaks, many challenges -- Related: Church asks Utah Mormons to wear face coverings in public

Okinawa governor wants tougher action as 61 Marines infected

tag:reuters.com,2020:newsml_LYNXNPEG6B05

Prostitutes wearing masks hold signs reading "One Europe - One Law", "We attract your tourists, dear Germany", "Without us, more women and children will be violated" and "Livelihoods depend on sex work too", during a rally of prostitutes demanding the reopening of Germany's brothels, amid the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in the famous red light district Reeperbahn in Hamburg, Germany July 11, 2020. REUTERS/Fabian Bimmer

Hamburg sex workers demand Germany's brothels reopen

Even during pandemic beekeeping remains an essential service

Why extreme heat is so alarming for the fight against Covid-19 -- “I’m actually really worried about indoor transmission.”

Dengue prevention efforts stifled by coronavirus pandemic

EPA approves two Lysol products as the first to effectively kill novel coronavirus on surfaces

COVID-19 pandemic causes concern over plastic pollution -- Related: France ordered to fight pollution or pay millions in fines

Emanuel_Gottlieb_Leutze_Westward_the_Cou

Emanuel Gottlieb Leutze, Westward the Course of Empire Takes Its Way, 1862. Mural, United States Capitol.

Americans Need to Know the Hard Truth About Union Monuments in the West -- During the Civil War, Union soldiers in the West weren’t fighting to end slavery, but to annihilate and remove Native Americans.

Our Past Is Racist and Bigoted. How Do We Face It -- Like biographies, the histories of countries have good and bad chapters. Only an honest reckoning allows good to prevail in the future. 

What We’ve Learned from 101 Years of American Unrest -- For more than a century, cities have been erupting in anger over police violence against Black Americans—and then issuing reports with thoughtful, deep approaches to the solution. Are we finally learning the lessons of 1919?

Fatal Encounters: One man is tracking every officer-involved killing in the U.S. -- “The number of people killed by police is microscopically small,” D. Brian Burghart said, but those deaths "symbolize systematic racism.”

USC will remove a John Wayne exhibit after actor's racist comments resurfaced -- Related: Protesters Gather In OC In Push To Rename John Wayne Airport

BB167t7g.img?h=534&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

A plaque hangs just inside the entrance of Robert E. Lee High School in Montgomery, Ala., on Thursday, June 18, 2020. -- © Jake Crandall/ Advertiser 

Plaque at school serving mostly Black students urges them to not 'discredit' Robert E. Lee

In Mississippi's fight to discard Confederate relics, a new ally: college athletes -- “We can’t just shut up and dribble,” a college basketball player said. “We can’t just stay in our lane. We have to speak out about what’s going on.”

Feds deny Minnesota Gov. Walz's request for aid to rebuild after riots

Minneapolis Activists, Police Chief Arradondo Attend Rally Calling To End The Violence In Twin Cities

Police execute search warrant at home of gun-toting couple

e9hyHkaRFZdDV_jLZuTS6mAVT0XcIEuMRVWUzGMg

David Plantino, 35, from South Sudan has been a pottery maker for seven years. “I relied on the Nile river as most people around me here for water and the mud,” he said. “Both are the foundation for people who rely on pottery to make a living… I am not an expert to tell you what we can expect after the Ethiopia’s dam but I can tell you that the difference between the white and blue Nile is that the white has no clay.” --  Khartoum, Sudan/Reuters Photography by Zohra Bensemra and Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah. 

Fears at Nile's convergence in Sudan that new dam will sap river's strength

Iran agency says chain of errors caused Ukrainian plane crash

1000.jpeg

Women lean on a gravestone in Potocari, near Srebrenica, Bosnia, Saturday, July 11, 2020. Nine newly found and identified men and boys were laid to rest as Bosnians commemorate 25 years since more than 8,000 Bosnian Muslims perished in 10 days of slaughter, after Srebrenica was overrun by Bosnian Serb forces during the closing months of the country's 1992-95 fratricidal war, in Europe's worst post-WWII massacre. (AP Photo/Kemal Softic)

Hedge fund Chatham's bid wins auction for Miami Herald publisher McClatchy

Former USA Gymnastics coach is arrested and faces charges of lewdness with a minor

Harvey Weinstein’s assets frozen by ex-wives -- Asset freeze has 'complicated' Weinstein appeal and L.A. defense, sources said.

Pandemic leads 7-Eleven to forgo free Slurpees on 7-11 -- Related: A Brief History of the Slurpee, a Frozen American Icon

Wasted: How America is losing up to 40% of its food from farm to fork to landfill

Feds scrap plans to reintroduce grizzlies to North Cascades -- Related: Conservation groups upset by North Cascades grizzly decision

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5
(edited)

5f00d6f65f71f.image.jpg?resize=1200,899

A crowd gathers on the Torch Lake sandbar on Fourth of July weekend, Lower Peninsula Michigan -- Record-Eagle/Andrew Rosenthal

How to go out and not spread coronavirus this summer -- What’s the best and riskiest way to see friends, take a trip, or get spiffed up? We talked to experts to find out.

No One Should Be Surprised That America Abandoned the Elderly to Die -- Related:Gen Z volunteers are helping senior citizens fight lockdown loneliness with technology

My patient caught Covid-19 twice. So long to herd immunity hopes. -- Emerging cases of Covid-19 reinfection suggest herd immunity is wishful thinking.

30-year-old dies after attending 'COVID party' thinking virus was a 'hoax'

Dr. Jon LaPook on the importance of wearing face masks

America’s plan to save small business in the pandemic was flawed from the start -- The PPP worked how it was supposed to. That’s the problem.

Johns Hopkins' dashboard: The people behind the pandemic's most visited site -- Related: Johns Hopkins' Covod-19 dashboard

When morons play their greatest hit, it's the grass that suffers -- Great White apologizes for mask-less show in North Dakota

Three generations of Bollywood's Bachchan family hit by COVID-19

larger.jpg

Moratorium (1969), Jasper Johns

Rebuilding caring communities, block by block

Redskins to retire team name Monday; new name to be revealed later

The Goya Foods free speech controversy, explained -- Goya Foods’ CEO says his speech is being suppressed by a boycott. It’s not.

International Monetary Fund: Mideast loses $270B oil income amid virus, recession

The Dalai Lama Says the Responsibility to Fight Racial Injustice Lies With ‘the People’

America's Long Overdue Awakening to Systemic Racism

Black writer has a message for White allies looking to fight racism: "Go to a place of discomfort"

After Comments Controversy, Founder of Car Site Petrolicious Steps Down -- Afshin Behnia is leaving his position after controversial posts about the Black Lives Matter movement, and is looking for buyers for his media company.

?m=02&d=20200710&t=2&i=1525347310&w=780&

An aerial view of a Black Lives Matter mural on Frederick Douglass Boulevard in Harlem, New York, July 7.   Alon Sicherman/via REUTERS

Reuters PICTURES - FRI JUL 10, 2020 -- Black Lives Matter murals across America

Hamilton wins Styrian GP ahead of Mercedes teammate Bottas -- Related: Formula 1 star Hamilton raises right fist in fight against racism

Zimbabwe bird sanctuary has 400 species, not enough tourists

Editorial: California condors pass another milestone on the road to recovery

Wombat named Ted latest recruit Australian police station

NASCAR Cup rookie Cole Custer wins in upset at Kentucky

Fire destroys much of 249-year-old church in California -- Related: Man Crashed Vehicle into Church, Started Fire in Foyer Ahead of Morning Mass: Deputies

Ocala homeless fined, jailed: nowhere to sleep legally

Refugees, Aid groups condemn U.N. decision to limit Syrian aid crossings -- "Lives will be lost. Suffering will intensify," aid agencies operating in Syria said in a joint statement. -- Related: Christian groups say Trump has closed the door on persecuted Christian refugees -- Ironic.

Kosovo veterans protest war crimes charges against president

1000.jpeg

Smoke rises from the USS Bonhomme Richard at Naval Base San Diego Sunday, July 12, 2020, in San Diego after an explosion and fire Sunday on board the ship at Naval Base San Diego. (AP Photo/Denis Poroy)

Stubborn fire aboard U.S. Navy warship in San Diego injures 21 people

Deceased cat gets voter registration application in mail -- 'If you’re wondering how Cody would have voted if he could go to the polls. His owner said he was a DemoCAT.'

Hubble spots galaxy moving away from us at 3 million miles per hour

The fringe theories long attached to UNESCO sites -- Related: Nobody Has Solved This Cryptographic Puzzle for 30 Years. Think You Can?

1000.jpeg

In this May 15, 2018, file photo, actress Kelly Preston poses for photographers during a photo call for the film 'Gotti' at the 71st international film festival, Cannes, southern France. Actress Kelly Preston, whose credits included the films “Twins” and “Jerry Maguire,” died Sunday, July 12, 2020, her husband John Travolta said. She was 57. (Photo by Joel C Ryan/Invision/AP, File)

Actress Kelly Preston dies of breast cancer at 57

Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27

‘I Don’t Think Anybody Alive Can Tell Me What to Do’ Willie Nelson at his most Willie Nelson.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 4

Okay, who is that British horse's ass in your "Report from Canada" clip? Ooh, where's British Columbia? And no one, and I mean no one, other than pro wrestlers in the past says stuff like "British Columbia Canada." How many BCs are there?

Good to know UK media reporters can be as stupid as anyone.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

We're dealing with a global coronavirus pandemic, economic crisis and inequality, political demagoguery, climate change and perpetual racial injustice. 

It was a slow news weekend.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 2
(edited)

1000.jpeg

Customers have drinks on June 18, 2020, outside a restaurant owned by Walid Ataya, who also has a bakery, pizzeria, wine room and flower shop on a strategic intersection leading into one of Beirut's upscale neighborhoods. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)

Small businesses worldwide fight for survival amid pandemic

US budget deficit hits all-time high of $864 billion in June

Trump administration's delayed use of 1950s law leads to critical supplies shortages

Tracking Covid-19 cases in the US -- Since January, novel coronavirus has spread to nearly every state and territory -- Related: Coronavirus cases soar by more than 1 million over 5 days

The debate over “airborne” coronavirus spread, explained -- The WHO says aerosol Covid-19 transmission “cannot be ruled out.” -- Related: What is contact tracing, and how does it work with COVID-19?

Surgeon general says administration "trying to correct" earlier guidance against wearing masks -- Surgeon General Explains His March Comments on Masks by Noting We Used to Give People Cocaine

Coronavirus: Why attitudes to masks have changed around the world

World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus slams ‘mixed messages’ from leaders on coronavirus -- Related: US debates school reopening, WHO warns ‘no return to normal’

Here's what the CDC recommends schools do as they reopen -- Related: Masks for kids? Schools confront the politics of reopening

Drugmakers will start coronavirus vaccine production by end of summer, Trump health officials say -- WHAT VACCINE? You know something we don't? -- The U.S. is aiming to deliver 300 million doses of a vaccine for Covid-19 by early 2021. The manufacturing process is already underway even though they aren’t sure which vaccine, if any, will work, the official told reporters on a conference call. The administration has selected four potential vaccines as the most likely candidates, but the official said Monday that that list could grow. On the list are vaccines from biotech firm Moderna and Johnson & Johnson. -- Related: Vaccine makers’ ‘no profit’ pledge stirs doubts in Congress -- Lawmakers want more transparency about $4 billion government investments.

Quarantine loopholes bring fresh efforts to fight outbreaks

The federal agency that’s supposed to protect workers is toothless on Covid-19 -- Workers are facing perilous conditions as states reopen. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration could have protected them.

BB16Ie1L.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

People enjoy a warm day at the beach in Miami Beach, Florida, USA, 12 July 2020. Florida reports 15,300 new Coronavirus cases, a record for one day anywhere in the US. Coronavirus in Miami, USA - 12 Jul 2020 -- © Cristobal Herrera/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock Mandatory Credit: Photo by CRISTOBAL HERRERA/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock (10709557d) 

Florida has more Covid-19 than most countries in the world. These stats show how serious the problem is -- Related: Miami is now the coronavirus epicenter as cases surge, one expert says

California rolls back reopening plans as new outbreaks force major reversal -- The hardest hit counties of California will see the toughest constraints, Newsom said.

Prepare now for a winter Covid-19 peak, warns UK's Academy of Medical Sciences

Working from home can soon mean working in Barbados for up to a year

AP Explains: Why Serbs are protesting against virus lockdown

In Egypt, volunteers make meals with love for virus patients

UN: Pandemic could push tens of millions into chronic hunger

2000.jpeg

Melissa James, a dancer and aerialist in the show "Extravaganza" at Bally's casino resort, trains in her home June 20, 2020, in Las Vegas. "I do something every day," said James about training while her show is closed due to the coronavirus. (AP Photo/John Locher)

Vegas entertainers dance, train at home, awaiting the stage

'It's going to be really ugly.' Here come the big bank earnings -- Related: Wells Fargo loses $2.4 billion in 2Q, first loss since 2008

Google’s former CEO hosts an exclusive retreat in Yellowstone each July. You won’t hear much about it. -- Weekend getaways like these aren’t uncommon. But they are drawing more and more scrutiny. -- Rich people flying in to expensive resort to talk about how to get richer while their customers get sick from governmental inaction and denial. What's to know?

Goodbye Pier 1, the Imperialist Fantasia Rendered in Wicker

How the Other Half Eats -- SNAP benefits add up to $1.86 per person, per meal. Here's what that looks like.

Screen-Shot-2020-03-23-at-2.05.09-PM-600

Enjoy Yourself Neon Mural by by Blue Heron Studio

Judge blocks federal executions; administration appeals -- Related: US carries out the 1st federal execution in nearly 2 decades

Fire ravages Navy ship for 2nd day; sends acrid haze over city

Texas keeps ‘The Eyes of Texas’ despite athlete demands

'Protest Writing' workshop gives students an outlet to fight racial injustice and bullying

What We’ve Learned from 101 Years of American Unrest -- For more than a century, cities have been erupting in anger over police violence against Black Americans—and then issuing reports with thoughtful, deep approaches to the solution. Are we finally learning the lessons of 1919?

original.jpg

U.S. National Guard troops block off Beale Street in Memphis, Tennessee, as Civil Rights marchers wearing placards reading, "I AM A MAN" pass by on March 29, 1968. It was the third consecutive march held by the group in as many days. -- Bettmann / Getty

52 Years Ago in Photos: A Look Back at 1968

The Anti-Semitism We Didn’t See -- DeSean Jackson’s Hitler moment—and mine—showed that Black Americans’ experience of racism doesn’t automatically sensitize us toward other forms of prejudice.

Black Lives Matter street mural vandalized outside Trump Tower

Activist Kimberly Jones on economic inequality and plans to turn her powerful words into action

The Good War -- How America’s infatuation with World War II has eroded our conscience

1000.jpeg

In this undated photo provided by Facundo Vital in July 2020, an Andean condor soars above the Patagonian steppe in Argentina. To birds, the sky is not empty, but a landscape of invisible features – wind gusts, currents of warm rising air, and streams of air pushed upward by ground features like mountains. Learning to ride air currents allows some birds to travel long distances while minimizing the exertion of beating their wings. (Facundo Vital via AP)

Fly without flapping? Andean condors surf air 99% of time

Israel’s West Bank annexation plan and why it’s stalled, explained by an expert -- The politics and the potential problems ahead.

US rejects nearly all Chinese claims in South China Sea -- Related: China accuses US of sowing discord in South China Sea

No, Cancel Culture Isn't a Threat to Civilization -- A cacophony of new voices are just making it harder for famous and powerful people to blather on about all sorts of things without interruption. -- Related: Facebook's future keeps getting murkier

‘Here’s your check’: To spare farmers the cost of trade war, the price is reaching unsustainable levels.

The problem with living in a Company town -- College towns without college students have small businesses struggling -- Restaurants and stores that rely on college students are trying everything from takeout to GoFundMes, and some schools and alumni are pitching in.

Ocean investment could aid post-Covid-19 economic recovery -- Related: Oceans panel presses coastal states to invest in 'blue recovery' -- Report says there are substantial economic benefits to be had from ocean conservation

1000.jpeg

This June 1, 2020, rendering provided by Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Centre shows the Hope probe. The U.S., China and the United Arab Emirates are sending spacecraft to Mars in quick succession beginning this week.(MBRSC via AP)

Look out, Mars: Here we come with a fleet of spacecraft

Naya Rivera, who rose to fame on TV show ‘Glee,’ dies at 33 -- Related: Sheriff: ‘Glee’ star Naya Rivera saved son before drowning

Scandal erupts at prestigious British university, after students accuse several members of US-style frat house of sexual assault

Judge: Women can get abortion pill without doctor visit-- Related: Federal judge voids Georgia ‘heartbeat’ abortion restriction

New racing series co-created by Tony Stewart will ban the Confederate flag like NASCAR did -- Stewart said the SRX series isn’t meant to compete with NASCAR, as the races are running on different nights.

lwuyrp07rz411.jpg

Bonus stinging insect fact: There’s a sting pain index that entomologist Justin Schmidt first came up with in the 80s. Schmidt has been stung by almost everything with a stinger and rated the stings on a scale of 1 to 4 (least to most painful).

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5

Screen-Shot-2020-03-23-at-1.23.40-PM-600

Baby -- Los Angeles parking garage -- by WRDSMTH

Hospitals told to bypass CDC on coronavirus data -- Related: CDC director predicts this fall and winter will be 'one of the most difficult times we've experienced in American public health'

COVID-19 vaccine: Promising results from Moderna's first trial as they aim to start final phase -- The phase 3 trial aims to answer the big question: Does the coronavirus vaccine work?

Profile of a killer: Unraveling the deadly new coronavirus

Rules once lifted are reimposed to try to curb new outbreaks

Orange County's largest school districts won't comply with Board of Education vote to return to classroom -- Related: Betsy DeVos' School-Reopening Plan Is Already Getting a Big Fat F

Scientists Hoped Summer Temperatures Would Tamp Down Covid-19 Cases. What Happened?

Federal stockpile is thin amid coronavirus surge, internal documents show -- States, hospitals and nursing homes may not be able to rely on Washington to supply personal protective equipment for medical professionals.

?m=02&d=20200715&t=2&i=1525792365&w=640&

A woman wearing a mask to help reduce the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) walks through a restaurant in Miami Beach, Florida, U.S. July 14, 2020. REUTERS/Zachary Fagenson

As pandemic worsens, Miami Beach visitors party, residents mostly comply

'This is a war': the coronavirus disaster in California's hardest-hit – and poorest – county -- About 17 patients are airlifted out of Imperial county every day, as the virus takes a devastating toll on Latino residents

Ivanka Trump Just Wants Americans to Love the Jobs They Don’t Have -- Related: Initiative tells out-of-work Americans to 'find something new'

US banks warn of much more economic pain ahead

With elective procedures delayed, UnitedHealth profit spikes

The debate over “airborne” coronavirus spread, explained -- The WHO says aerosol Covid-19 transmission “cannot be ruled out.” Here’s what that means.

Subways sparkle, but does cleaning decrease COVID-19 risk?

banksy_rat.JPG

Banksy tags his rats in the colors of a medical face mask

Banksy's latest artwork on the coronavirus has been removed from the London Underground

How 2020 Remapped Your Worlds  -- Through homemade maps, readers shared perspectives and stories from a world transformed by the coronavirus pandemic.

U.S. public schools, focus of debate on reopening, are unsung economic force

3M, MIT partner to make rapid COVID-19 antigen test

From a website dedicated to Etsuro Sotoo: In 1978 Etsuro Sotoo arrived in Barcelona. He had just graduated in Fine Arts, he had just one year of experience as an Art teacher. When impressed by the unfinished temple: “It was the most fabulous pile of stones I had ever seen” …He asked for a job as a stonecutter. He wanted to continue the Nativity façade (the only façade that, thanks to his work, would be declared by Unesco World Heritage). He did a test and they gave him the position. Since then, he has completed what Gaudí did not even have time to think about. When he finished with the gaps, he started with the architect’s notes. When the tracks are over, it’s up to him to make decisions.

Black and Latino communities face another public health crisis amid the pandemic -- gun violence -- Related: He's been working with police to prevent crime for years. His grandson was killed in crossfire this mont

The Race Gap -- From birth to death, Black people face systemic disadvantages in American life more than 150 years after slavery was abolished.

How the BTS Army raised over $1 million for Black Lives Matter, mostly in one day.

The Leesburg Stockade Girl -- In Georgia in 1963, 15 African-American girls aged 12 to 15 were arrested for trying to buy movie tickets at the whites-only theater entrance. They were arrested and held without charge for up to 45 days, their parents unaware of their whereabouts

California pulls access to LAPD gang data in database after prosecutors say officers falsified records

University of Mississippi removes Confederate statue from heart of campus -- The school plans to move the statue to a small cemetery on campus, which will be refurbished in a move critics say creates a "shrine" to the Confederacy.

Head of Cecil Rhodes gouged off Cape Town monument

How Capitalism Drives Cancel Culture -- Beware splashy corporate gestures when they leave existing power structures intact.

Why So Many Drivers Are Ramming Into Protesters -- Extremists have celebrated attacks like these for years. -- Related: Protesters across US attacked by cars driven into crowds and men with guns -- Protesters confronted by armed men – including members of the so-called ‘boogaloo movement’ – in different parts of America

At its conclusion, historian Khalil Gibran Muhammad, author of The Condemnation of Blackness, asks a question: And so the question that has to be asked in the wake of George Floyd — and I think this question is being asked and answered by more white people than I’ve seen in my lifetime is — do white people in America still want the police to protect their interests over the rights and dignity and lives of Black and, in too many cases, brown, Indigenous, and Asian populations in this country?

ViacomCBS drops Nick Cannon, cites ‘anti-Semitic’ comments

Exploiting the Bench -- The long quest to stop a ‘Sugar Daddy’ judge accused of preying on women

The Constitution Doesn’t Work Without Local News -- American democracy requires informed citizens. But in many places, the industry responsible is withering before our eyes. -- Related: Bari Weiss Is Leaving the New York Times -- The writer and editor has self-expelled from the newspaper, she tells VICE. -- Democracy exhales.

Should Banks Be Forced to Price In Climate Change?

Gasoline boosts U.S. inflation; escalating COVID-19 cases seen suppressing demand

"Thick fog" over U.S. economy and Fed will need to provide sustained accommodation: Fed Reserve Governor Lael Brainard

Special Report: Drug cartel ‘narco-antennas’ make life dangerous for Mexico’s cell tower repairmen

Deepfake used to attack activist couple shows new disinformation frontier

Phone of top Catalan politician 'targeted by government-grade spyware' --  Guardian and El País find regional speaker was targeted in ‘possible domestic political espionage’

?m=02&d=20200715&t=2&i=1525807538&w=780&

The Comet "Neowise" in the sky over Nayoro, Hokkaido, Japan, July 11. Nayoro Observatory via REUTERS

Reuters PICTURES - WED JUL 15, 2020 -- Rare comet streaks across our sky

Five Planets Will Be Visible in the Sky This Week -- Here's How to See Them -- Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn will all be visible in the night sky this week — no telescope required.

Militaries around the world are already rocketing beyond the scope of space law -- A pair of recent reports point to growing space conflicts, but the efforts to prevent them are stagnant or out of step. -- Calling Space Force ...

Pentagon says US has withdrawn from 5 bases in Afghanistan as part of agreement with Taliban

The Traditional Interpretation of the Pardon Power Is Wrong -- Properly understood, the commutation of Roger Stone’s sentence is unconstitutional.

?m=02&d=20200715&t=2&i=1525778244&r=LYNX

Antelopes graze under a bridge of the Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) line, inside the Nairobi National Park in Nairobi, Kenya July 9, 2020. REUTERS/Baz Ratner

Wild animals losing freedom to roam as city encroaches on Nairobi park

Humans have partnered with sled dogs for 9,500 years -- Huskies and malamutes have ancient cousins dating back to the Pleistocene, new research shows.

Fucking Homepage -- Sure, the name is crass. But it's less boring than Google's I'm Feeling Lucky and FuckingHomepage.com is updated every day with interesting facts and websites. 

Tracing the 'Hobo Graffiti' of Early 20th Century America -- The markings were a secret communication system used by wanderers in the 1910s and 1920s—and represent an important part of American history. -- Related: The (mostly) true story of hobo graffiti

Bourdain Confidential -- "I find, again and again, just by spending the time, by asking very simple questions, people have said the most astonishing things to me."

U.N. urges Venezuela to dismantle criminal gangs running gold, bauxite mines -- Related: Report: New players help Maduro evade tanker sanctions

• Love 5

In light of the many articles regarding statues (Confederate and otherwise), I thought you might find this story interesting.  It's about a move to rename some buildings/parks named after a guy who was racist toward the Chinese in Calgary about 100 years ago. The irony is that some of the places named for him are right beside the Chinatown district that he tried get rid of!  And which btw is a pretty cool district in downtown Calgary that people love.

The article also mentions that we renamed a bridge from Langevin to Reconciliation Bridge.  That bridge is near where I live.  Langevin was one of the architects of the shameful residential school program and so as part of Canada's Truth and Reconciliation initiative the bridged was renamed.  I really like the choice they made by calling it the Reconciliation Bridge.

These things are not very controversial here.  There are always some who grumble but most people recognize that we should not be honouring racists, misogynists or homophobes.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/james-short-park-could-be-renamed-due-to-history-of-anti-chinese-racism/ar-BB16H8o4

7 hours ago, pearlite said:

Oh yay!

'Cause we want them here. For sure. Go land someplace else.

We just decided to cancel our flight to Ontario scheduled for mid August.  I read a report today that there are 31 flights in Canada in the past week or so that have had Covid cases, or suspected Covid cases.  We booked these flight long before Covid, but we just don't want to risk it now.  However it means I won't be able to personally meet my grand-nephew just yet!

• Love 6
(edited)

DEPRESSIONTWO8.2.png&key=bce4a17971fbba1

COVID-19 power shift: Experts have 'deep worries' about hospital data sent to Washington -- It remained unclear how hospitals, already strapped for resources, would be able to pivot effectively to a new reporting system during the pandemic. -- Use the state health departments to create an parallel open reporting system?  

Covid-19 vaccine trials are showing promising results. A lot can still go wrong. -- Not all experts are optimistic we’ll have a vaccine by the end of the year. 

More than 150 countries sign up for global vaccine plan

China firm uses workers to ‘pre-test’ vaccine in global race -- Related: Vanderbilt recruiting up to 1,000 for COVID-19 vaccine trial

What happens if Covid-19 symptoms don’t go away? Doctors are trying to figure it out. -- People with long-term Covid-19 complications are meanwhile struggling to get care.

1000.jpeg

People wearing face masks to help curb the spread of the coronavirus ride escalators in a subway station Thursday, July 16, 2020, in Tokyo. Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said he might have to rethink plans for a domestic tourism campaign to help offset losses from keeping borders closed to foreign visitors. Tokyo's new cases have been rising by hundreds daily. (AP Photo/Eugene Hoshiko)

Rising virus totals force rethink of bars, schools, tourism

Dr. Fauci warns young of Covid-19 risks and says crisis could match 1918 flu -- Infectious disease expert says young people socializing are ‘inadvertently part of the problem’

Hospitals are running out of staff, supplies, and beds for Covid-19 patients  and this time could be worse -- If hospitalizations continue to rise, health care workers in Arizona, Texas, and California fear they’ll be completely overwhelmed. -- Related: Software helps companies coordinate the supply chains that sustain global capitalism. How does the code work and what does it conceal? -- The mysteries of the supply chain.

Mask mandates catch on as states, businesses try to bypass a toxic debate

The growing scientific evidence for masks to fight Covid-19, explained -- It’s true the evidence for masks was weak before. That’s changed.

The key lesson from school openings abroad: Contain the virus -- If schools in America do reopen, other countries have some best practices worth adopting.

camp_pic.png

Christina Animashaun/Getty Images

Money Talks: The couple navigating child care in the pandemic -- Evan and Sarah are attempting to balance work, child care, and public health concerns as they stare down a long summer.

Coronavirus Has Finally Put A Spotlight On America’s Childcare Crisis. What Happens Now? -- Related: America’s child care problem is an economic problem -- “Families are not okay,” one expert says. It’s making the economic crisis way worse.

Troy Harlow has always made sure to pay his mortgage on time. Wells Fargo had other plans for him. -- Lawyers say they've found cases in 11 states in which Wells Fargo has wrongly claimed borrowers asked to pause mortgage payments during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Oklahoma’s governor says he has tested positive for COVID-19 -- Hello Tulsa!

Los Angeles in ‘dangerous phase’ as virus cases surge

British Fashion Council Calls for Government Support, as 240,000 Fashion Jobs at Risk -- The U.K.'s fashion organizing body has laid out proposed measures for the government to help businesses at risk.

Biden, Gates, Musk: Bitcoin scam breaches some of world's most prominent Twitter accounts -- Twitter believes suspected Bitcoin scammers grabbed control of high-profile accounts by targeting its employees. -- Related: Extraordinary Twitter hack compromises some of the world’s most prominent accounts -- Everyone from Barack Obama to Kanye West tweeted a bitcoin scam that raises concerns about how secure their accounts really are.

In Russia's far east, rare anti-Putin protests gain momentum -- Demonstrators have held banners saying "Free Sergei Furgal," while others have called on President Vladimir Putin to resign. -- Related: Police in Moscow detained over 130 people during protests

US military: Russian mercenaries planted land mines in Libya -- Related: Associated Press sources: White House aware of Russian bounties in 2019

China’s new national security law and what it means for Hong Kong’s future, explained -- “It’s really the first time that I had a genuine feeling that I would be arrested just because of speaking aloud a slogan or holding a poster on the street.”

Behind America's tear gas business boom: Low-wage workers and angry neighbors -- “They have millions of dollars. I don't think it’s right or fair that they can do that with no ramifications, no nothing," one local resident said.

EU court cancels US data-sharing pact over snooping concerns

Here’s How America Uses Its Land -- Cows, trees, corn, and golf

1000.jpeg

Jen Reid poses for photographs in front of the new black resin and steel statue portraying her entitled "A Surge of Power (Jen Reid) 2020" by artist Marc Quinn after the statue was put up this morning on the empty plinth of the toppled statue of 17th century slave trader Edward Colston, which was pulled down during a Black Lives Matter protest in Bristol, England, Wednesday, July 15, 2020. On June 7 anti-racism demonstrators pulled the 18-foot (5.5 meter) bronze likeness of Colston down, dragged it to the nearby harbor and dumped it in the River Avon — sparking both delight and dismay in Britain and beyond. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham)

Statue of Black protester replaces toppled UK slave trader -- Later: Statue of Black UK protester removed from plinth in Bristol

Nick Cannon apologizes to Jewish community for hurtful words -- Related: Nick Cannon to remain on Fox show after ViacomCBS fired him over anti-Semitic comments -- "When we were made aware of Nick Cannon's interview with Richard Griffin on YouTube, we immediately began a dialogue with Nick," Fox said. "He is clear and remorseful that his words were wrong and lacked both understanding and context, and inadvertently promoted hate. This was important for us to observe. Nick has sincerely apologized, and quickly taken steps to educate himself and make amends."

‘I’m not a bad guy’: Police video captures distraught George Floyd

Students are using Instagram to reveal racism on campus -- “Black At” Instagram accounts, like Black at Harvard Law, provide space for students to anonymously share racist experiences, and mobilize for systemic change.

Live Nation CEO Michael Rapino Unveils $10 Million Initiative to Promote Greater Diversity

Boycotts show us what matters to Americans -- Brand boycotts in the Trump era have been largely political, but with the pandemic comes a shift toward workers’ rights 

1000.jpeg

Black Lives Matter protesters argue with NYPD officers near New York City Hall, Wednesday, July 15, 2020, in New York. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura)

NYPD chief, protesters roughed up in Brooklyn Bridge clash

Berkeley moves toward removing police from traffic stops 

An all-Black football team at a Georgia high school receives its championship rings -- 50 years later

Why Facebook is “the front line in fighting hate today” -- What the head of the Anti-Defamation League has to say about Facebook, hate speech, and the advertiser boycott of the platform.

The Instagram Account ‘Change the Museum’ Is Doing Just That

Rose Parade in California canceled for first time in 76 years due to coronavirus

Choosing -- NASCAR's Ray Ciccarelli or Bubba Wallace? Confederate flag ban shows the choice is clear -- NASCAR knows it’s only as inclusive as its fan base. This action is designed to uproot its most obvious foundational problem to usher in a brighter future. -- Related: Confederate flag banner flies over Bristol Motor Speedway before NASCAR All-Star Race

Juicing -- Trainer Bob Baffert suspended 15 days by Arkansas stewards

Abusing -- Before taking her own life, triathlete asked her mother to 'lay bare the sins' of her alleged abusers

Rapper Kanye West files for Oklahoma presidential ballot -- The filing came a day after New York Magazine’s “Intelligencer” quoted West adviser Steve Kramer saying “he’s out” and noting that the staff he had hired were disappointed. : Kanye’s Short-Lived Attempt to Get on the 2020 Ballot -- Any attention is better than no attention at all. -- Kanye West and the Media Are Once Again Playing a Dangerous Game

What Went Wrong at the Los Angeles Times -- Two years ago, a billionaire owner asked Norman Pearlstine to reinvent a storied American newspaper. Some in his own newsroom say he's fallen short.

Rupert Murdoch's big investment headache: Australia

Why scientists are so worried about this glacier -- It’s at the heart of Antarctica and on the verge of collapse.

Tesla secures tax breaks for cybertruck factory in Texas

Tech deals plow ahead despite the coronavirus and intense antitrust scrutiny

Many technologies needed to solve the climate crisis are nowhere near ready -- Getting to net-zero carbon emissions will require rapid, radical innovation, a new report says.

Giant Hawaii telescope builders say no construction in 2020

World's most beautiful snail shells are endangered

‘Magic School Bus’ author Joanna Cole dies at age 75

Zappos is now selling single shoes for people with physical differences -- Customers have been requesting this option for years, Zappos said. -- Related: Zappos FAQ: Single & Different Size Shoes

The gospel according to Aretha Franklin

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 4