Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Unguarded Moments

I would hope she wouldn't agree to anything like that since all the years she was married to Teddy she didn't cheat on him even once. Deacon was there and she wanted too, even Teddy knew it asking her "Did you sleep with him? But you wanted too" I can't believe the writers would go down that path, we have come so far in this relationship only to destroy it with trust issues. If he can't trust her in being faithful (why am I saying that because it's such a horrible idea) then what does he have left? Rayna is not a cheater and if the series is going to make her a cheater now, I'm done I don't have it in me to watch things go down hill again after all we have been through with them being apart for 2 1/2 years only to start over again.

• Love 1

I realize this is old-fashioned now, but can't Scarlett and Caleb send each other email? It's not simultaneous communication, but at least they'd get to share their days with each other. This "you must be available by phone whenever I want to talk to you" stuff seems strange to me when there are other avenues of communicating. Texts work too!

• Love 1

Sometimes that's just not practical though, especially when your schedules are very different. Caleb needs to be at work early - probably by 7 at the latest, likely often earlier than that - and Scarlett's performing into the night and not back to her hotel room until the wee hours. 

• Love 2

I'm not saying texts are verboten but surely they can take time at some point during the day to speak to each other. It's not like they have a time difference to worry about, as far as I know.

Still this is just played up as an excuse to add friction and get her to leave Caleb and I can't say I mind.

I wasn't too worried about this Rayna/Marcus thing until I watched those AfterBuzz girls when they seemed to think it would be kinda fun for Rayna and Marcus to have a fling. Not one of them said, whoa, no way! And then when Riley Smith said they had got some small things right, it got me worried. I agree with Madam Magpie when she said people in stable relationships don't go kissing douchbags at work! But who knows with these writers. In the promo, when Deacon says to Rayna that Marcus wants to sleep with her, I hope her response is to laugh, and then say something like, "well I haven't encouraged him and I certainly don't want to sleep with him and why would I want him when I've got you." After all, Deacon is a man, not a boy!

• Love 3

It kind of scares me that these girls whatever age these girls are have no loyalty in a commited relation to cheat on the person they are involved with. Not even one of them disagreed that cheating is so wrong when in a commented relationship. WOW

• Love 1

With regard to the AfterBuzz girls I think some of them still root for Rayna and Deacon but it was when one of them said she predicts it will be Deacon's insecurity that draws Rayna towards Marcus because of Deacon being a crazy person. Another one said they will fall into it by accident and realise there is a spark there and although she said Rayna would diffuse it, it was the fact that she said there would be "spark" there and no one said, "No way, that's inappropriate! But hell, with these writers the girls may be right. For me though, it will be bad if Rayna responds in any way towards Marcus, other than being professional. When he held her hand in the last episode I would have preferred if she withdrew it quicker than she did. And I hope, if Deacon is feeling insecure she reassures him immediately - and the writers don't drag this out.

I'm not saying texts are verboten but surely they can take time at some point during the day to speak to each other. It's not like they have a time difference to worry about, as far as I know.

Still this is just played up as an excuse to add friction and get her to leave Caleb and I can't say I mind.

I think they're making a mountain of what would normally be a mole hill for the sake of giving them a reason to break up. It's silly stuff really, surely they could find some fundamental differences that would do that? 

Oh Maddie. I'm so sad for you. You brat it up for days; shutting doors in people's faces, huffing around, throwing Daphne's phone that YOU took in the first place back at her and what happens as your punishment: here's a record contract on your mothers label! Ugh. Just like last year when you were grounded and "punished" with a Jade St. John concert after a day of being nice. I'm sure that one hurt her just like this. I hate the idea not only because it shows Rayna and Deacon (also to an extent in the past Teddy)are never really sure how to punish Maddie but I hate it for Daphne because she's so excited and The Brat is not.

Will and Avery: my saving grace to get me to keep watching. I'm glad they have become good friends and I hope Will's songwriting and performing takes off. He definitely needs it. As a Hayden fan, I did miss Juliette but knowing that HP is getting help for her own PPD makes me very happy.

Scarlett and Gunnar's performance was great. Love them singing together and that's it. I wish they could keep Dr. Latte but that's not happening probably and more S/G angst is on the way I suspect. Yay.

• Love 3

I don't think there's a lot more S/G angst on the way. The show is on its last legs. They are setting up the endgames now. In other words they'll probably give them the Deacon/Rayna package. They'll get together, they'll be reasonably happy and then the show will get cancelled. Everything about them right now is screaming "fast-track-rehabilitation".

As I said above I wish the show would run to 100 episodes. 

After waiting 13 years to be with the only man she has ever been IN LOVE WITH there might be a spark with Margus. A spark of what? MM's perfect description douchbag and if Rayna doesn't shoot him down immediately if/when he makes a pass then for me that "Deacon is the love of my life""I've loved you then and I love you now" is all bullsh t. Do these writers remember what they have written in past episodes because it makes no sense. I would love for Rayna to see a little jealousy in Deacon but then tell him that's how she felt all those years when he would bring women to after parties when they were on tours but she couldn't do anything about it because she was married. I can't believe Connie would be okay with that. They just got back together and in a short time she is going to be Sparked by one of her sleezy clients.

• Love 2

Sutton: I'm not sure Connie has the power to dictate story, unfortunately, but I do hope the writers realize why people watch this show. You can only throw up fake barriers in the way of your characters for so long before people get bored, and I think lots of people already have gotten bored. Add in the Juliette/Avery misery, and I feel like Callie and Co. would be crazy to have Rayna do anything but shoot Markus down. But I also realize they do some really bizarre, self-sabotaging things on this show, so who knows?

If Deacon's truly jealous, I hope it comes out that he's upset about something real. Missing making music with Rayna, insecurity because they tend to screw up their relationship (Why aren't they married yet? Where is her ring??), leftover jealousy about Luke and Teddy...that's all ok. But Markus himself?? I don't buy it. I feel like Deacon should know Rayna better than that, assuming she remains true to character.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 4

I'm thinking that the Deacon/Rayna storyline will give me a bit of a headache for the next two episodes. I cringed in my seat watching that preview. I'll try to focus on S/G.

Apparently Layla won't be back until episode 11 so we don't need to deal with her until then, and after that she's going to be zoning in on Avery and serenading St. Fordham, so at least they won't make her Gunnar's next boy toy.

In fact I think we've seen the last of the S/G placeholder love interests. Who knows when Juliette will be back but at least we won't have to deal with Psycho!Mom when she does.

Since the wedding is in episode 11 I suspect that after that, the D/R relationship will be pretty devoid of any drama between them.

@madam magpie: When Connie filmed Friday Night Lights she and Kyle told the writers, bluntly, that if they were to write any of them having an affair they would refuse to act it out.

This show isn't Friday Night Lights. It's run by different people, is on a different network, and has a completely different focus, tone, and creative process. Plus, she's said that she doesn't have a lot of control over story, and because I've worked in entertainment, I know that a producer credit for a lead actor often means nothing in terms of power in regard to story. So I choose to believe Connie herself. If others don't, so be it. But I'm certainly not going to argue with you about what Connie Britton thinks, wants, or does behind the scenes at her job.

Edited by madam magpie

I know. What I'm saying is just that I would expect her to fight any such decision, not that she would be successful. Ultimately, though, 

the reason I suspect this will all come to nothing is that they are getting married in only three episodes. I doubt Deacon would go with that if she'd been unfaithful and I doubt even Nashville would have her hiding it from him while saying the vows.

If she's ultimately unsuccessful, then it means she has no real control over the story. Given what she's said in the past, sure, she very well might protest. But if the people running things don't listen to her (which I wish they would, but oh well), she just has to do what they give her. I'd rather this show were run like FNL. It would be a much better show! But it's not.

As for the spoiler,

I hope you're right about that.

Edited by madam magpie

That does inspire another question, though. It's purely theoretical, but what if she doesn't? Since you have experience of the entertainment industry, maybe you are qualified to answer that. Any normal person can simply quit their job or refuse to carry out what they consider a demeaning task. What would be the repercussions?

Maybe that is too off-topic for this thread.

Edited by Telepath

I'm not an expert, but here's how I understand it. She probably can't just quit. The standard is for lead actors to sign on to new shows for (I believe) seven years. Since most shows don't last longer than that, the network is able to lock actors in at known rates, usually for the run of the show. There are always negotiated provisions for things like emergencies, real conflicts of interest, exploitive things (Connie may have a no nudity clause, for example), etc. She could have clauses that allow her an out after a certain period of time too. But what she's doing isn't set up like an at-will job you or I would have. There are both benefits (money, perks, fame, producer credits, etc) and downsides to that kind of industry.

The repercussions are that she could be sued, she'd be branded as difficult to work with, etc. It would be very unprofessional. Given her reputation, I don't think she'd ever do something like that. I guess she could try to buy out her contract if she were really miserable, but that would be an expensive thing to do (and would probably negatively affect her reputation in her industry) simply because she thinks the show is kind of dumb and soapy. And the network (whoever her contract is with) doesn't have to agree. No show wants to set up a scenario where they sell their project to a network and audience promising a certain lead and then run the risk of losing that lead. You can't really do Nashville without Connie Britton. (At this point, I suspect you can't do it without Chip Esten either, but I wonder if it began that way.) And you certainly can't do it without BOTH Connie and Hayden Paniettiere. A famous example of how this all works is when the entire Friends cast banded together when their initial contracts were up and negotiated for huge salary increases and probably other perks. This worked because that show was enormously successful, and if they walked, the show couldn't go on. So in that way, they had power. If Nashville is still going at season seven and it's a huge hit, Connie might have some leverage. But even then, I wonder if she'd be allowed to dictate story. It seems farfetched that you could add a contract clause that says something like, "You can't make me do dumb, soapy storylines that assassinate my character and are ridiculous." But I mean...I'm not a lawyer, and I guess anything is possible.

My understanding is that the Friday Night Lights set up (and Parenthood, too) was unique. All of the actors said so. It was very creative and collaborative and improvisational, and the show runners gave the actors a lot of freedom to really know their characters and determine their stories (within reason...they did still have the murder after all). That's unusual in television, as far as I can tell. The show runner and the writers are typically the ones deciding what the story is. The actors are the vehicles by which that story is presented to an audience. They get most of the fame (and critique) because they're what we see, but they don't usually call the shots.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

I'm not overly concerned though as I think even these writers know why most people who watch watch, especially without any any Juliette or Javery.

I don't have the same confidence in the Nashville writing staff.  I, and a lot of other people, were watching for Juilette and Javery, and the writers sure screwed that up beyond repair.

• Love 3

I agree 100% with Telepath that there will be absolutely no cheating and exactly for the reasons she posted. I'll take this conversation further in the spoilers/speculation thread.

I also have to agree with magpie that you couldn't carry on Nashville without Connie (and arguably Chip at this point) however my initial thought at the inception of the show was that you would need both female leads.

For me personally, Hayden's maternity absence didn't so negatively impact the show that I felt something was missing and her current absence is somewhat of a breath of fresh air given her monstrous storyline. It was nice to sit back and relax this week without watching Juliette getting wasted or abandoning her child or causing people to fall off rooftops.

That said, I am now of the opinion four seasons in that Connie carries the show at this point. A world without Juliette Barnes can exist; I'm not so sure a world without Rayna can.

• Love 1

Agreed, and I think you're right: At the beginning, with the original premise, you needed both Connie and Hayden, though Rayna was always the protagonist. The character of Juliette was there to tell us more about Rayna's story. But we're so far removed from the original premise (that battle between what's old and what's new and the merits of each) and the stories of the two women are so disconnected that they now exist completely separately. Throw in the fact that the Juliette character has been marginalized and ruined since the pregnancy, and you're left with a show that doesn't need Hayden anymore. Connie, on the other hand, is connected in one way or another to nearly every character. This is basically Rayna's show, and her story is much too entrenched to drop. Sometimes that's the way things play out. I do think the writers ruined Juliette with the pregnancy, though, and in hindsight, I think they should have ignored it completely and written Hayden out for her maternity leave.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 4

Couldn't agree with you more on that front. As challenging as it might have been, they should have written around Hayden's pregnancy entirely. Juliette is in no way ready for a baby and the show would have been much more interesting with her as an active performer who was trying to make a relationship with Avery work rather throwing in new motherhood and this odd PPD.

• Love 6

Airwair -- I hope not. Juliette was the thorn in Rayna's side keeping Rayna on her toes in dealing with a temperamental country singer. Juliette always brought drama to a series at times was boring and as much as I didn't like her character at the beginning i came to love trying to figure out who she was going to piss off next. She has a heart, didn't show it often but she did go pick up Maddie when she called and comforted her in a very special loving way.  

• Love 1

They're about to film episode 13 and Hayden is still not back. We will obviously have to see what takes place and how things fall down but I'm not sold on the idea that she is coming back, especially if we don't get renewal.

Granted, there are 8 episodes left to film after this one so anything is possible. I just don't see how they can possibly redeem her after what they've done to her. There's no way to make it believable. She abandoned her child twice. She agreed to all of Avery's terms, including signing over her parental rights. She was a wasted mess. She is responsible for a man's death. It would take a LOT of episodes to rehab her character and given the time we likely have left and Hayden is still on medical hiatus I'm just not confident it can be done. Unfortunately.

• Love 1

Then the show has done a really poor job of explaining this. Even I, a conservative, often-overprotective parent, was rolling my eyes at Rayna and dismissing her refusal as plot contrivance/artificial conflict.

You're right, they are only scratching the surface. Rayna hinted at her own expierience when she talked to Marcus, but even Juliette had Glen trying to protect her from the start of the show. They could expose a lot of hideous behaviour in the music business beyond artists taking drugs and label heads being slimy turtles, but unfortunately, the chose to go the soap direction. Staging an average A&R or marketing meeting at a record company could actually be a lot more scandalous than Gunnar getting it on with the sound tech, but they won't dare to go there.

Whoa! Just found these forums, and I am so glad that there's an active group of Nashies out there critiquing and analyzing the show! I have sooo much to say.

Let me start by saying that I am relatively new to the show -- I binge watched seasons 1-3 in August and then started watching season 4 when it premiered this September. I was drawn to the show simply because of Connie (just recently discovered her, too), and to be honest, Connie is the only reason I continue to watch the show. I have the unique experience of having watched all 65 episodes of the first 3 seasons in about 2 weeks, and I can concur (since I watched them all very recently) that Connie truly IS anchoring this show and it would NOT be the same without her.

Season 1 was brilliant and rife with all kinds of promise, and all the following seasons completely ran off the grid. I could go way more in-depth on this, but I've read enough to know that we all pretty much agree on this. I loved the Rayna we had in season 1, and I started to deeply dislike the Rayna we got when it became the whole "Ruke" duo. And Juliette going all crazy town reaaallly didn't help, as did the inexplicable addition of all the minor characters.

That, I feel, is that main problem here -- there are TOO. MANY. CHARACTERS. Season two was alright for a while (Luke wasn't too bad of an add-on initially), but now... I can't even keep up. To be honest, I liked the show so much more this week because Juliette and Layla were both gone, which left more room for Rayna and her world. SHE is the star and center of the show, so it truly puzzles me why the writers keep writing Luke main plot stories when he's basically just Rayna's old plot twist.

I really don't foresee this show getting renewed for season 5, and that's sad because it used to be so good. Regarding how Connie feels about it, I get the feeling that she doesn't like what's going on. I was listening to her speak on a recent podcast (from the Nerdist), and the guy (her real-life friend) said something like "So, do you see Nashville going on in the foreseeable future?" She kind of deflected it by saying "You never know with television," but then the guy started laughing and said "Wait, did you just flick someone off?" She then started yelling at the dog in the room (jokingly), saying that she was flicking it off, and the guy was like "that was a good cover." So, she either was flicking off the writers of Nashville for ruining her show or flicking off ABC, lol. Either way, she wasn't very enthusiastic about Nashville's future, which I find both amusing and sad.

Also, does anyone else wonder why Rayna hasn't sang as much this season (she had exactly 2 songs -- the duet with Markus and that duet with Layla)? She used to sing a lot back in season 1 and season 3 with her new album... Do you think it has anything to do with how Connie feels about the show, or are the writers snubbing her because they don't think she can sing well enough? Even if she doesn't have the kind of natural talent that Clare and Chip have, I like her voice (it's lower than some of the other female talent and sounds more "real" to me), and I hope we get to hear her sing more when the show comes back from the mid-season break!

• Love 2

And regarding the whole Markus-Rayna situation: I fully expect a Tami Taylor "Glen!!!" protest if Markus tries to kiss her.

If it does go too far, like you all said, I'm done. I'd probably still watch, but I would not be emotionally invested whatsoever.

• Love 1

Your new to this form, watched all 3 1/2 seasons and came to the same conclusion we all have been saying Season 1 was the best. I've said it so many times before if these are new writers then what we had in season 1 please, please bring back the writers we had in season 1.

I'm with you on Markus hitting on Rayna if she doesn't shoot him down immediately I'm done. I can't believe the writers would put a wedge between her and Deacon after all they have been through. Deacon being a little jealous is okay but Rayna, (as a poster has said, she has to roll her eyes when he says "he wants to sleep with you") and say to Deacon it's never going to happen . The only man I'm going to sleep with is the one I've been IN LOVE with since I've been 16 yrs old.

It's sad that they might not get renewed for a 5th season but someone took this series off track then what it was originally meant to do.

Connie doesn't have a strong singing voice but I liked it and I miss her singing on the show especially with Chip. Whatever mixing sound they put in when they are recording her IMO she sounds okay. She's not a Carrie Underwood but for TV it sounds good.

• Love 1

Why the show is even hinting that Rayna or would be interested or there would be some sort of temptation is a joke. And agree-- Markus isn't remotely sexy- is he supposed to be for the show and there is this Rayna/Markus connection or is the show trying to tell us that he is an immature ass and they know it?

Before I finished reading all the posts, I was sure that the show was NOT hinting that Rayna would be interested - just that Markus was, and that Deacon would be jealous (which is not a logical emotion - so, imo, it doesn't matter how solid Rayna has been, in his rather frail emotional state, I can see him jumping to it - even if both I heaved a big sigh at the text scene.)

Whoa. When did Scarlett go from being a timid girl in frumpy dresses who freaked out when she had to sing live ,to a flirty performer in skimpy clothing?

I know, right? Mr. Starling is a musician, who has upon occasion had a woman music partner, and during the song I said "if anyone used that body language while singing with you, I would lose it." and the Mr is rock solid loyal (jealousy not being logical, as I said above). If Caleb sees them perform this song, I'd imagine that would be the end of that.

Geez...Scarlett was this close to having more on-stage convulsions.

HAH! Good one. ;)

I loved, loved, loved, Will's song. And I don't even relate to it personally. As much as I like Will, I am a little tired of him running away all the time, but at least it is consistent behavior, which the show is not known for. I've always liked his character, and would love him and Avery as a duo.

There was a post earlier about Maddie, and I'm sorry, I forgot who it was and forgot to quote it (because I have nothing to add about Maddie, it's all been covered)  - but it was something along the lines of at least she wasn't having unprotected sex. So my question is, were we told she and Cole used protection? Or is that a shoe that's going to drop before long?

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

So my question is, were we told she and Cole used protection? Or is that a shoe that's going to drop before long?

I swear, if they make Maddie pregnant in a desperate attempt to get some interest back in the show, I will vomit on my television and cry, because that would honestly be the end of the show as we know and love it. They would not be able to redeem their utter plunge into soap-ishness if they do that.

• Love 5

What would REALLY make for a good scene would be Rayna having a sex talk with Maddie à la Tami Taylor. Juliette gave her one, and I think it would be interesting to see how Rayna's would differ. Also, I think it would be interesting to see how Rayna reacts to Maddie having had sex with Colt already. Would it further separate them, or could they actually have a decent Mommy-Daughter moment like they did in seasons 1 and 2?

Basically, I just would like to see some actual parenting going on here. I was rewatching episodes of season 1 the other day and the family unit was SO STRONG and SO GOOD. It was the driving force of Rayna's life, but now, it just seems like her family is in the way.

I wonder if it would be better if Tandy were still there to help with the girls? I miss Tandy. Judith Hoag was wonderful in this show.

• Love 2

I'd love that. It's a shame they don't let Rayna parent her children much because Connie is so great in the scenes that she does get. And I don't ever think it's boring. I love all that stuff: family meetings, breakfasts, making dinner, whatever. That's how you get to know the characters and discover what they care about. I'd rather watch Rayna talk to Maddie about sex for half an hour than watch the crap they do with Luke/Gabrielle/Layla/Jeff/Juliette being crazy. That's all what's boring. This show should be about music industry people making music and struggling to balance their private lives with that public face. I don't want people driving over cakes, falling off of roofs, almost drowning in pools, shooting creepy exes, crashing cars, etc.

I also really miss Tandy. She humanized Rayna. That's probably why they got rid of her, actually.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 3

I agree with you 100% here. It's the simple things, like getting the kids ready for school, tucking them in at night, hearing about their day, etc, that really make a show relatable. Because real people do those things and the characters on this show are supposed to be real people, too. They're in the music industry and they have to deal with all that craziness, but at the end of the day, they're real people who do real, normal things.

I also really miss Tandy. She humanized Rayna. That's probably why they got rid of her, actually.

Yeah! I remember a scene during season one where Tandy was like "you're being just like Daddy!" regarding how Rayna kept the girls from performing their music, and Rayna actually stopped and realized that maybe she wasn't handling it the best way.

In the later seasons, Rayna is never wrong and she's always the victim, and I think it's becoming too much. I think that Tandy was able to provide the reality check and balancing act that sometimes only family members can do, and now, all Rayna has are collages, children, and a lover, who can't quite reach her the same way.

I think Deacon humanizes Rayna too, but, like you say, it's in a different way. She's very vulnerable and raw with him, which I've always really enjoyed. There's also a lot of joy. But what I always liked about Tandy and Rayna's relationship was that it was mostly easy. I know they had that falling out when Rayna found out Lamar was lying about something (I forget what now) and Tandy knew, and Tandy often gave Rayna terrible advice, but otherwise, they lacked drama so we got to see Rayna at her most relaxed and with a true friend. Deacon is sort filling that role now, but I'd like more of it and from a different perspective.

The kids could provide a third perspective if they were allowed any depth.

I don't so much see Rayna as victimized and never wrong; I think she's wrong a lot. But she's never allowed to own her mistakes and there aren't often natural consequences. I like that Rayna doesn't apologize very often; that's such a sexist stereotype. But I think she'd personally feel the consequences of things more deeply than the writing allows. She did in the first season, anyway.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

We got a different Rayna in Seasons 2 & 3. Season #1 was a confident, strong willed woman, not afraid to challenge a dominated mans world in the Country Music Industry. I wish we could get that Rayna back both her and Deacon working together as a team, writing songs, singing on stage, discovering new talent, guiding them on how to handle success would be one hell of a series.

• Love 3

I'm pretty 100% confident that Tandy's sole role when she makes guest appearances now is to be the anti-Deacon devil on Rayna's shoulder.

But I do miss what they used to have.

Edited by airwair

Maybe. Maybe not. But I think it would be realistic for Tandy to be wary of Rayna's relationship with Deacon. The fact that Rayna herself wasn't at all wary after a season-and-half of insisting they couldn't be together never rang true for me anyway. She changed her mind on a dime with no clear reason. Rayna needs to be able to articulate what's different now because on its face, it probably looks a lot like what they did for years. Tandy would be a way for her to explain that...not that she will. That would require some depth and more than a forty-second scene. But still. It would be nice.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

I have to assume Tandy is making an appearance because Rayna told her that she is going to marry Deacon, so for her to come and try again to talk Rayna out of marring him is one big waste of screen time. I hope she remembers that Deacon is the only man Rayna has ever been IN LOVE with and is there to support her in that decision.

When the hell is this series going to lift Deacon up instead of always knocking him down. Are they ever going to give this character back the confidence, strength in caring for other people like he had in season #1. With all his problems in season #1 we had a character that had confidence in himself as a person, talented guitarist, musician, song writer and someone who was always there if a friend needed help.. Yes, he was sad at the way his life was going but after the Maddie secret was finally in the open I would have thought that the series would get him on the right track as a father to a 13 yrs old but I was so wrong. I'm just so sick and tired of them always putting him down, it seems he can never do anything right no matter how hard he tries. It's like the big question when is Deacon Claybourne going to fall off the wagon and become an alcoholic again. Sick of it, it's getting old lets move on he knows it's one day at a time, we all know that so stop waiting for him to take that drink.

MM this series never gives a clear reason on why Rayna does what she does. They always leave out the important parts that make sense in trying to figure out her decisions especially that promise to Teddy on not telling Deacon that he had a daughter. What was that promise she agreed to when Maddie was born ,not ever to tell Deacon and why did she go along with it for so many years knowing Deacon was sober all 13 yrs. Yes, I know she gave Deacon the reason "How do you blow up your child's life." That still is the torn in my side, we never got an explanation on that bad decision. I loved the Rayna character in season #1 but grew to dislike her after finding out she never is accountable for her mistakes, decisions or whatever you want to call them. 

Venting, sorry but Thursday night is going to be a game changer for me. I"m assuming (that's bad to start with) what's going to happen because I don't trust the writers or Callie. This series was suppose to be her baby and boy did she drop the ball big time.

• Love 1

Sutton, I agree with everything you've said. I know this is old ground, but keeping Maddie a secret from Deacon, after he was sober for so many years, was so wrong on Rayna's part, and she never gave a good enough reason for doing it. It would have been more believable if she had said she was afraid he would stop loving her if he discovered the truth.

As to Tandy, do we know she is going to be negative? She may like the way things are going. Hope so.

Rayna lied to Deacon first because she was afraid he'd hurt their kid (physically, emotionally, it doesn't matter) while he was drinking. She wanted Maddie to grow up in s stable home, and Deacon looked like a lost cause. She continued to lie because once she'd set it up, upending Maddie's life got more and more daunting as the kid got older. Plus, yeah, she was afraid that the lie would ruin her and Deacon. She said as much to Coleman back in season one. I think Deacon forgives her because he understands that she made her initial decision thinking she was doing what was best for their baby and then got stuck in something she didn't see a way out of. The fact is that Rayna was forced into a miserable situation because Deacon was an unreliable drunk. He mostly owns that, so he gets why she did what she did and on some level is grateful to her for it.

What I have trouble with is that Rayna should have been torn up with guilt about it. She was in season one; the lie and its consequences and implications were breaking her and she was heading for an obvious crash. The show failed, I think, when it took the soapy way out and had Maddie find out and tell Deacon. The way to redeem Rayna for the audience (and the most realistic scenario) was to have her finally break and tell Deacon the truth when the life she'd set up with Teddy as a way of protecting her kid fell apart. I think that Rayna would have almost told Deacon a thousand times over the years, and so she should have been the one to give. As it was, it all just happened to her and she had to clean it up, which is my biggest beef with the Rayna character. She's almost entirely reactive, instead of proactive. I don't consider that empowered.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

I completely agree with y'all!!

Regarding Deacon, the show desperately needs to start showing a happier side to him. I guess they're doing that with "The Beverly" (*cringe*), but you're right, Sutton -- there was so much more to his character in season 1, and I liked him in season 2 as well when he was getting back into music and making a name for himself. Ever since season 3, all we've seen is the mopey, depressed, and guilty side of him.

Regarding the whole Maddie's birth thing, I agree that the writers didn't handle it the best. I loved how we were teased with the issue of Maddie's paternity right from the very beginning (so it wasn't some bomb dropped on us), but they kind of ruined that slow build up with Maddie just finding out and telling Deacon (like you said, Madam Magpie).

I loved seeing Rayna so conflicted by it, like when they were in that supply closest and Deacon said "maybe we could have had a family of our own by now" and Rayna just stood there with her sad eyes. It was the dramatic irony of us knowing and Deacon not knowing that kept us on our toes, similar to how we knew about Deacon's cancer while Rayna and Maddie didn't. The writers did well on this front, but it's true that Rayna should have been the one to tell Deacon. I believe that she would have eventually since she and Deacon were back together, but for the purposes of the show, it was just easier to have Maddie find the papers.

• Love 2
Hopefully Maddie will calm down now that Rayna has signed her to H65 and we will get some good music with Deacon's help.

If the show did have legs to go a few more seasons (I too doubt it), having Maddie SAVE Highwaywhatever  and be able to throw that in her mother's face?  Priceless.  

They wouldn't have to make her an outright villain, but it could be fun if her career got much bigger than anything Rayna was ready to handle, Juliette level fame.  Imagine trying to ground your kid backstage at an arena where tens of thousands of people are calling her name?  Telling reporters she can't go to prom because she's too busy propping up her mother's label?  

It's bad of me, but it could be entertaining.  We'd inevitably end up with a "good sister/bad sister" thing if the show lasted long enough.  Though hopefully still with some Empire-like genuine affection for each other.