Type keyword(s) to search

Adventure Time - General Discussion

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

I caught the episodes last night. I like the idea of Gumball . . . he can serve as a nemesis for the show. Not as evil as Lich, but not as hapless as Ice King and King of Ooo. Minimum, he can make soldiers out of baby teeth, which is neat and creepy.

I'm thinking the Flame Princess story wasn't that big like the others, but it's cute to see Phoebe try to up her rap game. Also, to get served in Ooo means losing your legs. That's . . . weird. Even for this show.

Does anyone have a better memory than I do? I thought the previous episode about Bonnie and Marcie and that thing with the river had been presented as 900ish years ago, and they both looked teenish in that one. But the card here said 800 years ago and we had kindergarten-looking Bonnibel. Am I wrong? Is it a continuity error? Do we think it's intentional and means maybe don't trust narrator PB? Or just all the origin story flashbacks are something close to a thousand years and everything else is rounding?

• Love 1
(edited)

In case you didn't hear, the finale airs next Monday on Cartoon Network. Maybe if the series was regularly aired, the end would get a lot more hype.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
On 8/26/2018 at 10:11 PM, Lantern7 said:

Maybe if the series was regularly aired, the end would get a lot more hype.

That, and I think they just stopped promoting it altogether.  I remember some viewers were turned off by the serialization and less adventuring of the show, so they stopped watching.  Plus, CC mainly pushes their new shows, except for Steven Universe and TTG.  

Gumball is also on its last season, although I hear more about it.  But I’ve always loved Gumball so that doesn’t bother me.

Still, it’s kind of sad. AT was one of the flagship series and most viewers don’t even know the finale is tonight.   I myself thought it was just another miniseries until a few hours ago.

The “Elements” miniseries wasn’t promoted either, which is why the ratings were so bad.

Edited by Amethyst
Formatting issues because I’m on my phone.
  • Love 1

the problem was that they didn't show the major episodes that pushed the plot. I binged what they had on PPV and it wasn't bad. I still can't stand the character design. I noticed that there was no discussion here for the better part of a year.

So . . . Ooo survives a war and the coming of Golb, and everybody lives . . . well, they live. I lost track of the epilogues as the final song played. I should check the DVR again. I do remember Sweet P graduating . . . and I'm assuming that was him lumbering around BMO"s mountain. He didn't turn back into The Lich? Good for him.

Nice framing sequence, with Shermy and Beth being the protagonists of Future Ooo. Beth is also the Pup Princess . . . and I think there were a lot of dogs in the opening credits, so I'm thinking Jake's descendants helped shape Ooo.

I forget . . . did Simon live?  Also funny that Gunther was an evil alien (which had been established), he wished on the Ice King crown . . . and he basically became Ice King. Hey, why not?

I'm glad I jumped on board this series. I probably gotten more if I was there from the beginning, and if Cartoon Network had aired it on a regular basis.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I forget . . . did Simon live? 

He did!  We last saw him showing Turtle Princess (Mrs. Gunther?) how to make popcorn when they were visiting PB and Marceline.

Someone told me that adult Sweet P is basically the new Billy, and that’s awesome.

I just don't understand cable networks that don't bother promoting their own shows, or have a reliable schedule. Last Tuesday there was the 25th anniversary episode of Power Rangers that I was aware of only because my dvr was set for new episodes. It wasn't scheduled for the usual time of first-run episode. I believe this next week is the series finale of Sofia the First. Again, I wouldn't have known it without doing a search of the dvr's schedule looking to see if any new episodes would be popping up.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:11 PM, Lantern7 said:

In case you didn't hear, the finale airs next Monday on Cartoon Network. Maybe if the series was regularly aired, the end would get a lot more hype.

That was my problem. I missed so many new eps that I was a bit lost about the current state of everything. 

I enjoyed the finale. I recorded it and held off watching for a bit because I didn't want it to be over. I've always enjoyed the more serialized aspects of the show than the straight adventure-of-the-week bits. As an hour, I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. (Nothing can beat Simon and Marcy and it's probably wrong of me to have wondered if anything might come close as episodes go)

I think it did a decent enough job of tying a lot of things together, and wrapping up enough stuff. In a weird way I sort of appreciate how they just went for "yeah, stuff ended, time passed" as a contrast to the usual overly finale-ey-finaling. It's sort of counterintuitively satisfying? At the same time, it didn't really help my feeling of "but I want more" because it sort of left open a ton of chunks of story that could be filled in. They've done sort of future flash back style stuff before so in a way, I think I'd have appreciated this hour more if it weren't the finale but part of a still ongoing story.

I did not love the extended "we can win the battle with music" scene. They've done it before, so...I guess sort of...logical continuity? But it still felt a little bit "this again?" to me. 

I did think it was hilarious when the psychic tandem war elephant showed up all "So there's a war?"

Finally saw the finale (it was on the DVR for a long time), didn’t realize this was the end of the series until now.  I agree that there was very little promotion of it.

I really liked the ending montage and especially that Fern became a new tree, but Finn was mature enough to leave the sword in it.  He grew up enough to leave adventuring behind.

Maybe I missed it but I don’t think we saw reference to Finn’s descendants, except that several ships of humans arrived so presumably there are some.  Probably it would ruin Ooo if there were too many humans around. 

Simon and Betty nearly getting squashed was intense.  Unintentionally crushing your loved one has got to be the worst way to go.  It looked like Simon was getting help from meta-entities, so maybe now his quest is to free Betty, just like she was trying to save him.  

On 6/26/2020 at 12:18 AM, crazymadness said:

Well the BMO episode was sweet and fun and I can't wait for more.

Just saw it. Very charming. Is it a follow-up to the series or a prelude? Because if it’s the former, BMO might have gotten even further over his cute little head.