Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

13 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Thankfully Stephen described him as a "Guest" and not "Recurring" which is what this character has been specified as

Oh is he? Because the tweet I saw said he will "first appear" in ep 3 and and that made me think recurring. Phew!

21 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Thankfully Stephen described him as a "Guest" and not "Recurring" which is what this character has been specified as

7 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Oh is he? Because the tweet I saw said he will "first appear" in ep 3 and and that made me think recurring. Phew!

I very much hope that he's only a Guest Star but, the "first episode" comment worries me.

9 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I very much hope that he's only a Guest Star but, the "first episode" comment worries me.

I very much hope SA is right when he says he's a guest star:

If he's in the flashbacks, and the Jewish stuff suggests he is, he probably won't take up too much time.  Or rather, we're stuck with the flashbacks so they need characters to fill them up.  Reiter was okay and Conklin actually gave the flashbacks some energy this season.

At this point I almost hope he is the guy in the FBs because I don't share the enthusiasm for the Bratva FBs at all. I think they are pointless so if they promise they aren't making him appear in the present too he can appear there as much as he likes and I'll FF them like I did with poppy.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

At this point I almost hope he is the guy in the FBs because I don't share the enthusiasm for the Bratva FBs at all. I think they are pointless so if they promise they aren't making him appear in the present too he can appear there as much as he likes and I'll FF them like I did with poppy.

So someone asked SA if he'd like Rhodes to be his love interest and SA did mention that it's possible in the FBs so here's hoping! 

ETA... Not the love interest thing but the FB thing lol

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

So someone asked SA if he'd like Rhodes to be his love interest and SA did mention that it's possible in the FBs so here's hoping! 

ETA... Not the love interest thing but the FB thing lol

LOL well if they are like those from season 4 I probably wouldn't even notice if they made out with passion. They probably have more chemistry than SA and poppy anyway.

• Love 2

If this dude is recurring in the flashbacks that'll make me sure tptb really don't give half a fuck about them. But they're stuck with FBs for another season because they were dumb enough to think this was a viable longterm storytelling device. Fools.

• Love 1

The third and fourth season FBs were pretty bad (and filler) but the first two seasons were okay, and they've somehow got to get Oliver to the stone cold killer and Bratva captain that he was in the pilot so fingers crossed that the storytelling needs will win out and they'll be able to write something decent.  The show has responded in the past to critic and audience comments, and last year's FB were panned badly so maybe this will push them to step up their game.

Somehow I feel that there should be an icy Bratva seductress in the past that Oliver has meaningless sex with as he did with Isabel but no casting hints so far.

From a couple of pages back:

On 6/30/2016 at 9:24 PM, AyChihuahua said:

Also, how old were those couples? I'm guessing if all three involve dead spouses, probably fairly old. Oliver's 31. He wants to have a family (idiot Baby Mama actions aside). That's totally different from a widow/widower in her/his 60s or whatever deciding not to date anymore.

Oh, there are lots of people in their 60s who want to date even after losing a spouse.

The thing about Oliver though is that he doesn't really have time to start a new relationship even if he had the inclination (and he shouldn't IMO).  As SandraDeee pointed out in her fic, Star City is in a mess, especially financially with all the clean-up and repairs that need to be done, the police decimanted and many of the political officials lost to the Darhk days.  He's going to have more than his hands full cleaning up that mess, not to mention with Laurel dead and Diggle, Roy and Thea gone, he's the only vigilante left at the moment in Star City, at least until the three new ones are introduced and start working. The last thing he should be doing is putting the work into starting a new relationship, even if the show hadn't made Felicity his endgame. As you point out, he's only 31 so there's lots of time when things have settle down.

This is actually where we could have used Laurel to give the show at least one person starting a relationship. Thea just had one last season that showed how much better Roy was for her, Felicity had that mess with Ray that hopefully they will never repeat, and there are no other single people left on the show.

On 7/1/2016 at 0:40 PM, tangerine95 said:

Really all that was left to do was have Oliver and Felicity to talk each other.Imo everything else was set up for a reunion.So I'm not really sure why they chose to delay it until next season.I think it's weird to have them alone together for 5 months and they don't get back together or at least talk about their relationship. 

It's going to be very weird imagining them treading water all summer, working together but staying at the same point.  But I can see why the EPs did it, wanting to show that Oliver and Felicity are still OTP by having them work together over the summer but not wanting to waste the reunion by having them go from 0 to 100 as they did at the end of season 3.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

I think this has the potential to be a fascinating storyline for *Oliver*. He never suffered any consequence for the anons he killed in S1. Regardless of intention, he killed all those people. Those are his crimes, and other people covered for him, and kept him out of jail, and Roy sacrificed himself so that Oliver didn't have to pay for those crimes in the justice system.

And I know [in my bones!] that Oliver isn't that person anymore, but it poses an immense conflict for him if one of his crimes comes back to bite him in the ass. He moved on from that, which is great for him [and for me in the audience], but he's now the fucking Mayor of the city, and chances are real that a few of the citizens he governs over *lost loved ones* that he himself killed. It doesn't matter that he killed crooks -- those crooks' families still loved them, and lost them to a crazy masked vigilante who put arrows through people's hearts a lot. They don't care that Oliver was on a mission to save the city. And now he's their Mayor. The set up looks insanely promising to me if one of those people is now up to no good as a dangerous crime lord.

Maybe if you wrote it. With this batch of writers, not so much.

• Love 1
(edited)

After reading the TVline article, my request is that Oliver Queen fight Stardust in the ring, so we can kill two publicity stunts with one blow.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

It's certainly a way to explain why O/F didn't get back together in the 5 months of being alone in the Arrow bunker.

But I wonder what are the chances Felicity is dumping the boyfriend during 501.

• Love 1

I want to hope he's trolling but I don't think he is. Explains a lot. Not interested in this BS at all tbh. 

(edited)

Someone else at the con said they feel like he's trolling-- but who knows? I actually wouldn't hate for Felicity to be dating someone because to her her and Oliver are completely over. If Oliver actually sees Felicity moving on for real it might knock some sense into him that he might actually lose-lose her, and that he will have to prove to her that he has changed and that she can trust him. Something that we needed in season three and didn't actually get IMO. 

I am close to no longer shipping canon Olicity actually so I probably don't hate the idea as much as other people do.  

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, looptab said:

In the event that it is true. .do they really want everybody to hate on her? 

When have this set of writers ever taken into account online fandom hating on Felicity? Never, is the answer.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

It's certainly a way to explain why O/F didn't get back together in the 5 months of being alone in the Arrow bunker.

It does explain why they're not back together but I don't really like the implications. And people were worried how it would undermine O/F if Oliver moved on. Uh...

1 minute ago, dtissagirl said:

I'd go with high, since the season premieres are usually about shaking up whatever the status quo was for the summer, and since none of the new cast announcements have focused on introducing them as a new love interest.

Of course I was wrong about this happening at all, so feel free to dismiss my thoughts here.

• Love 5
(edited)

I don't want to watch Felicity having a boyfriend for reasons previously stated, but if she starts with one, it means I don't have to watch it because it happened in offscreenville. Then I figure her relationship with this person is gonna start cracking in 501 because that's what they do in season premieres: they uproot the status quo of whatever was going on during the hiatus.

The thing about what does it say about O/F and whatnot... I still don't care about any of that. They're gonna use LIs to create conflict between O/F, the ~implications~ of what that means only live in fandom, not in the show.

edit: @quarks and I are sharing a brain this morning, I guess. <3

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, HighHopes said:

Someone else at the con said they feel like he's trolling-- but who knows? I actually wouldn't hate for Felicity to be dating someone because to her her and Oliver are completely over. If Oliver actually sees Felicity moving on for real it might knock some sense into him that he might actually lose-lose her, and that he will have to prove to her that he has changed and that he can trust her. Something that we needed in season three and didn't actually get IMO. 

I am close to no loner shipping canon Olicity actually so I probably don't hate the idea as much as other people do.  

Maybe there's a way this could have potential for good angst..except these people don't do good angst, and wouldn't it be a retread of S3?

4 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

When have this set of writers ever taken into account online fandom hating on Felicity? Never, is the answer.

Yeah, right. :/ And we've discussed plenty that it's rare they do take into account online fandom at all..it just seems incredibly short-sighted to me. :/

• Love 5

Once again, the way to predict what will happen on this show is to imagine the dumbest possible thing. Because that's nearly always what they will do.

I bet it's the age-appropriate cop guy. Totally hilarious. Also, makes it more likely Oliver will hook up in some fashion with the reporter.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, HighHopes said:

Someone else at the con said they feel like he's trolling-- but who knows? I actually wouldn't hate for Felicity to be dating someone because to her her and Oliver are completely over. If Oliver actually sees Felicity moving on for real it might knock some sense into him that he might actually lose-lose her, and that he will have to prove to her that he has changed and that she can trust him. Something that we needed in season three and didn't actually get IMO. 

I am close to no loner shipping canon Olicity actually so I probably don't hate the idea as much as other people do.  

The last time he thought he was going to lose-lose her was when she was dating Ray. Which caused him to lie to her, use her, etc., in S3, and then of course that lesson completely fled his poor little brain in S4 when he started lying to her again.

This show, man. 

• Love 3

Felicity having a boyfriend to prove to Oliver that he will lose her for good was pretty much s3's storyline. Look at the mess that was. No thanks, they can keep it.

Unless they're doing this so Felicity will try to find someone who she fully trusts in a relationship but in the end she doesn't because he's not Oliver. Still no interest in it though. 

A new love interest for Oliver is looking more likely by the day. SDCC is gonna be such fun!

(edited)
4 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Hilariously, this also 100% explains why Steve seems to be all noromo lately. He1s selling the offscreenville status quo.

SA has been annoying me so much by downplaying Olicity and now I know he's just as annoyed as me! LMAO.

Edited by Guest
5 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Felicity having a boyfriend to prove to Oliver that he will lose her for good was pretty much s3's storyline. Look at the mess that was. No thanks, they can keep it.

Unless they're doing this so Felicity will try to find someone who she fully trusts in a relationship but in the end she doesn't because he's not Oliver. Still no interest in it though.

I think there's a legit real chance you might be putting way more thought into Felicity's motivation to having a boyfriend than the show will. The boyfriend solves a problem -- why didn't O/F get super close during the hiatus. That seriously might be all of it.

• Love 5
(edited)
6 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I think there's a legit real chance you might be putting way more thought into Felicity's motivation to having a boyfriend than the show will. The boyfriend solves a problem -- why didn't O/F get super close during the hiatus. That seriously might be all of it.

Well, of course I am! Haha. I know it's solving a problem from a writing perspective. But I don't like the implications from a character one. Already people are thinking Felicity doesn't love Oliver if she can move on so easily. It's definitely going to look a certain way to the audience, IMO. 

Edited by Guest

My advice is: stop caring about that part of the audience. The show clearly doesn't.

This is the hill I'm gonna die in, but: try to avoid looking at spoilers from a fandom pov. We truly really do not matter. Especially this early in the season -- the narrative isn't being written for us. It's being written for the characters. They need to be placed in specific places for the season to start. There needs to be conflict [in the literary sense of the word]. Look at spoilers and figure out how do they fit within the construction of a narrative. It'll be good for your mental health, I promise.

• Love 18

I disagree that the guy is just around to solve the hiatus issue. There are lots of other ways to do that, including just a line that they both had a lot going on (which is very accurate). I'm going to bet the guy will be around for awhile. I also will bet it's that cop guy.

I also don't think SA is annoyed that Olicity is being downplayed, or at least I don't see any evidence of that. He's spouting the company line, sure, but he's also saying stuff like "Olicity is just a part of the show." I think Olicity is going to be lessened, a lot, for quite awhile.

• Love 3

I'll wait because that person was unreliable when she reported a spoiler before so I'd like to know more. But if it's true well first of all I have zero interest in seeing that and as I said at that point I support Felicity moving on after what Oliver did, but no remembering they are soulmates and destined to be together during sweeps.

• Love 3
(edited)
10 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

I also don't think SA is annoyed that Olicity is being downplayed, or at least I don't see any evidence of that. He's spouting the company line, sure, but he's also saying stuff like "Olicity is just a part of the show." I think Olicity is going to be lessened, a lot, for quite awhile.

When did he say that? Not questioning your word, TBC, I honestly can't keep track of stuff :)

Anyway I'm with you wrt to Stephen. Don't know how to read his behaviour lately, I'm sure he is following the company line but I don't know whether there's more to it.

Wait, are Fangirlish and @dettiot the same person?   Nevermind, I thought the tweet  @Velocity23 posted was referring to another time this person was wrong with spoilers. What was the 415 spoiler?

Edited by looptab

I would take the tweet about Felicity having a boyfriend with a grain of salt, as the poster of said tweet has been unreliable when it comes to other things. I'm waiting for it to be affirmed through some other source or way throughout the day. 

• Love 1
Just now, looptab said:

When did he say that? Not questioning your word, TBC, I honestly can't keep track of stuff :)

Anyway I'm with you wrt to Stephen. Don't know how to read his behaviour lately, I'm sure he is following the company line but I don't know whether there's more to it.

Wait, are Fangirlish and @dettiot the same person? 

I don't think they are the same person, although I think she may occasionally write for the fangirlish website. And yeah, it was @dettiot who quoted him as saying that. Personally I think SA is starting to buy the Olicity criticism. He said awhile ago that Felicity walked away too easily (I know he defended her when it first happened, but that just supports my point, that he's been changing his tune and becoming much less pro-Olicity), and since then he's said they're not together in S5, Olicity is just a part of the show, etc. He seems pretty meh on the subject.

Oliver is DEFINITELY going to get a love interest. He'll see her moving on and decide to give it a shot, too. I still think it'll be the reporter.

Nope dont think Fangirlish and the person who reported are in any way linked.

And i have my doubts about the accuracy of that tweet after same person reassuring fans that 4x15 will be good for Olicity fans.

Also Stephen apparently said no spoilers for s5 yesterday. And is now all lets spread the word.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

I don't think they are the same person, although I think she may occasionally write for the fangirlish website

Yeah, I had misunderstood the post, I edited mine above. I agree about SA buying the criticism - and I don't even care that much, as long as I enjoy what is on my screen. Except I deem him a smart guy - aside from those instances when he acts like a dick - and it would make me like him less, were he to genuinely agree with some kind of criticism that wasn't very objective or founded, IMO.

Little aside, I die of second-hand embarrassment every time DR has to talk - whether it's his choice or it's prompted - about Olicity. Actually, it alternates between embarrassment and feeling of being trolled.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 3

I think they are starting over with Olicity. Not ending it or anything, but giving it a reboot. Everything feels like a reboot.

I think it's a good thing in several aspects of the show, but there are somethings I don't want to watch/lose.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I'll wait because that person was unreliable when she reported a spoiler before so I'd like to know more. But if it's true well first of all I have zero interest in seeing that and as I said at that point I support Felicity moving on after what Oliver did, but no remembering they are soulmates and destined to be together during sweeps.

To be fair, her reporting what SA told her about 415 wasn't inaccurate, but her interpretation about what he meant turned out to be untrue. I think he told her like 415 would make her like/hate evil story Steve. That's completely different from if he straight up told her "Oliver and Felicity aren't together, and oh yeah, she has a boyfriend too." 

• Love 2
(edited)

So, what good will that do? She moved on, he tries to. I am seriously annoyed by those spoilers. Yeah, she could move on but I am seriously losing the loving feeling for them as a duo. They were sold as this super serious couple and now we might get a repeat of S3 expect with Felicity already in a relationship and Oliver will probably have a new LI. If it were a trope, she'd get jealous and see how he has changed yet she is still not willing to let go of the hurt. Last time I saw that storyline was on Hart of Dixie. Granted it was a romantic comedy show but the storyline with the new BF after hiatus was so horrible that I lost interest by the mid-season finale. 

@soulfire: Thanks for your postings :-)

Edited by Belinea
  • Love 4
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Soulfire said:

The thing is, that is exactly the same thing SA said about O/F every other time they were broken up. He said that about them in S3, and it turns out that respectful, to him, means mostly not interacting. That's what he said about them in S4 post-BMD, and it turns out that, to him, it meant mostly not interacting. I mean it's great that he, who is not a writer or EP, acknowledges TO AN O/F FAN, that they matter, but that hasn't positively affected the show in the past, and I don't see why that would be any different now.

He also knew how loyal, etc. the Olicity fandom was when he was talking up the BMD, both before and repeatedly after. Sooooooo.......

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 10