Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

In my language the technical terms to describe a child born out of marriage from a legal POV are "illegitimate" and "natural" to make a translation. Then there are derogatory terms, but those two don't really have a connotation. Unless you give it to them obviously, but at that point even "woman" can be said in a mean-spirited way. I don't know what the writers meant with that line but I didn't give it much meaning.

• Love 3

You know I'd like to see a Female Big Bad for once and the Description for him being Charming Shoe please don't have Oliver and Felicity break up or have any unneeded BS Angst then have this guy step in to try and take Felicity away from Oliver IM BEGGING YOU

• Love 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I think it depends on how you view it... I've always used that term without meaning it to sound mean spirited. It's the way I learned it... I mean in hindi it sounds a lot better, loosely translated it would mean "children without marriage"... But in english it doesn't really work. There isn't a succinct way to put it that sounds nicer... "Bastard child" is another term that comes to mind but that's even worse lol. "Child out of wedlock" doesn't sound great either...

Someone could use the word in legal terms or when talking about a stranger and I wouldn't think anything of it. When you refer to the child of someone you know as illegitimate, it just seems default mean-spirited to me. I don't think it was intended to be mean-spirited, but "secret" would've been better IMO. And like I said - specifically because she was talking to someone whose child was born out of wedlock.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Someone could use the word in legal terms or when talking about a stranger and I wouldn't think anything of it. When you refer to the child of someone you know as illegitimate, it just seems default mean-spirited to me. I don't think it was intended to be mean-spirited, but "secret" would've been better IMO. And like I said - specifically because she was talking to someone whose child was born out of wedlock.

I understand. I think the wording was just weird, but Felicity's intent was "secret" child. Because it wouldn't make sense if she told Diggle he was one illegitimate child away from being Oliver, because he already has one lol. 

I suppose we'll agree to disagree about the phrasing :) 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Velocity23 said:

We we all know it cant be for the Black Canary.

Nah. Black Siren! Hahaha

1 minute ago, wonderwall said:

I understand. I think the wording was just weird, but Felicity's intent was "secret" child. Because it wouldn't make sense if she told Diggle he was one illegitimate child away from being Oliver, because he already has one lol. 

I suppose we'll agree to disagree about the phrasing :) 

Technically Sara isn't illegitimate anymore because John and Lyla got married. But yeah, I thought that was the meaning as well.

2 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Nah. Black Siren! Hahaha

Technically Sara isn't illegitimate anymore because John and Lyla got married. But yeah, I thought that was the meaning as well.

Right. Sorry, I meant child out of wedlock, my bad!

3 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I know she isn't - still don't think it's a great thing to say to someone who wasn't married when their kid was born. 

• Love 1
(edited)

This new guy is going to be someone Oliver pissed off while he was in the Bratva, yeah? The loss he's avenging is either going to be Taiana or some other woman that Oliver got involved with that this man believes died because of Oliver?

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I know she isn't - still don't think it's a great thing to say to someone who wasn't married when their kid was born. 

I quoted wonderwall because of what she said about it not making sense. It was just a clarification.

Anyway yes, I understand, because you find the term offensive in itself. As I said I don't because I've been taught to use the term without any negative connotation, it's a matter of POVs.

3 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

This new guy is going to be someone Oliver pissed off while he was in the Bratva, yeah? The loss he's avenging is either going to be Taiana or some other woman that Oliver got involved with that this man believes died because of Oliver?

Makes sense, but that would be a bit of a re-tread of Slade's storyline

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Anyway yes, I understand, because you find the term offensive in itself.

No I don't. I just don't think it's a nice way to refer to the kid of someone you care about. But @wonderwall is right -this isn't the thread for this convo, so I'll drop it.

(edited)

So "James" flashbacks or present day? Could be either. I'm also curious if he'll actually be a Series Regular. IIRC Darhk/Neal M was announced as a series regular but, it seems like he's actually recurring (only listed in credits if he appears in the episode and doesn't appear with the main cast...comes under Guest Star)

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

So "James" flashbacks or present day? Could be either. I'm also curious if he'll actually be a Series Regular. IIRC Darhk/Neal M was announced as a series regular but, it seems like he's actually recurring (only listed in credits if he appears in the episode and doesn't appear with the main cast...comes under Guest Star)

If he's a Bratva guy, both, maybe?

27 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Why does charming imidiately means he wants to take Felicity awy from Oliver.

It's just a fear I have that this Big Bad will do things to break up Olicity cause he will probably be  a guy with hatred for Oliver and want to take everything from him. It's just a fear knowing these writers that they won't let Olicity be happy. We've seen that they feel a need for BS Drama

• Love 1

My first thought was someone from the Bratva. But let's be honest, most of the villains are a bit of a retread. This sounds different because it's someone wanting to avenge a tragic loss rather than someone who wants to destroy the city, which we've done twice now. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Angel12d said:

My first thought was someone from the Bratva. But let's be honest, most of the villains are a bit of a retread. This sounds different because it's someone wanting to avenge a tragic loss rather than someone who wants to destroy the city, which we've done twice now. 

Very true I am hoping for a change in motive for the Big Bad 

Just now, Morrigan2575 said:

Oddly,  it kind of reminds me of early Daniel/Ray character descriptions

I wouldn't have minded ray that much if they turned him into a villain... Just like I wouldn't have minded laurel if they turned her into a villain. 

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

We we all know it cant be for the Black Canary.

I was going to say the exact same thing, LOL. He obviously isn't going to be Laurel's love interest, LOL.

(edited)

So....a new series regular?  They replaced KC with EK.  NM is apparently not actually a series regular. 

Does this mean we might actually be getting rid of Malcolm after all? *crosses fingers* (where's wonderwall?)

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3
(edited)

It's interesting because it kinda sounds like Oliver in s1. So we're gonna come full circle where Oliver's adversary is essentially an old version of himself, IMO. I like the sound of that, especially as it should link up to when Oliver becomes his darkest in flashbacks. Still waiting on that though guys. LOL.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Lol ok. People have been warming to her since s3. The writers chose not to get the most bang for their buck with the character. But anything is possible with these people so if they feel like bringing her back full time or part time,  they will.

He'll go fully off the rails when he loses his love, What's-her-face!

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

when he loses his love, What's-her-face!

Hahahaha can't stop laughing.  Poor ER.  I'm not sure it wouldn't be better to be playing a hated character.  At least then you'd be remembered.  

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

So....a new series regular?  They replaced KC with EK.  NM is apparently not actually a series regular. 

Does this mean we might actually be getting rid of Malcolm after all? *crosses fingers* (where's wonderwall?)

COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

• Love 9
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I knew I could count on you! ;)

Hee :) I swear if Malcolm dies, then I'll thoroughly believe that the phrase "Come onnnn" has magical powers and can make anything happen!

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, TVHappy9463 said:

Wait another series regular.  This show is so cluttered. Too many people in the liar with the addition of EK. Dreading season 5 more and more. 

This guy sounds like a villain... So I'm not worried yet. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I assumed this guy was the villain too. I actually think he'll be in flashbacks for the majority of the time. I'm sensing another Slade situation. Wasn't Manu a regular too? 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, spartan said:

series regular??  lol, big evil and love interest for thea or felicity? lol

Maybe rebound for Curtis once poor Paul bites the big one!

3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Oddly,  it kind of reminds me of early Daniel/Ray character descriptions

I suspect that "James" of course is just a place holder name.  So if it's flashbacks, he may or may not be a comic inspired character but for some reason I feel if he is in the present day he will be someone lifted from the comics.  Maybe for a change we won't know if a new character is a bad guy for a while.  Kind of going back to the Blood thing...except for the fact that I never trusted a character with the last name Blood in a comic book inspired show. 

I wonder if in addition to the two guy's added we will get some female regulars.  I feel like we have to in the flashbacks.  Maybe what they intended to do in FB's with Poppy being a contrast to Olicity will actually happen in the fifth season since it does NOT feel like they ever did a thing with that promised contrast this season. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I admit I am concerned that the team will have the same problem in s5 as they've had this season, feeling cluttered with too many masks. We really didn't need another mask and they need to get better at balancing that stuff out in the field. But I'm not worried about this James.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I wonder if in addition to the two guy's added we will get some female regulars.  I feel like we have to in the flashbacks.  Maybe what they intended to do in FB's with Poppy being a contrast to Olicity will actually happen in the fifth season since it does NOT feel like they ever did a thing with that promised contrast this season. 

I'm 99.99 percent sure we're not gonna see Poppy again after this season. Only reaction I've seen to that character is apathy and that will get you gone faster than anything.

41 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I'm 99.99 percent sure we're not gonna see Poppy again after this season. Only reaction I've seen to that character is apathy and that will get you gone faster than anything.

Lol, no, I did not mean with Poppy sticking around.  I meant with some new female he'd meet in Russia.  I would be less shocked if they brought Laurel permanently over from E2 than if they kept Poppy around next season. 

• Love 1

Ah, gotcha :)

I do hope they don't try for another LI in the flashback. There's really not that much time to develop a believable relationship on top of whatever they're trying to establish in the less than 10 minutes devoted to the past. 

• Love 3
(edited)

James to me sounds like a bad guy. I really hope that they position him as bad guy playing good. I also hope he has a romantic relationship with Thea. It could make her be part of the main plot and not on MM support squad.

I just hope they keep James far from Olicity.

It does seem like retread of s2 with bad guy avenging loved one, but if its connected to bratva it could be good. I also think s2 was the strongest of the seasons (s1 excluded). Frankly I'm tired of saving the city from megalomaniacs with no specific ties to SC just some good corn and a man crush. It would be nice for someone to have personal reasons again. No broad darkness or prophecy claims for May destruction.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 2

Yeah my fear is he will interfere with Olicity. Probably some BS like Oliver doesn't trust him and looks jealous but Felicity does and it gets bad enough that they Split up and or something like that. I just don't trust these writers after the last two seasons. I want this new guy to romance Thea or Curtis 

• Love 1