Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

CO4N0gzUsAAfRHx.jpg

Where are the tatoos?

Perhaps he hasn't visited the tattoo make-up trailer yet. Either way there has been significant speculation that OQ may get the tattoos removed. Its not a confirmed rumour or spoiler. So I really wanted to talk about this in the OQ thread, but it might be spoliery & I didn't want to have an entire redacted post. 

In regards to his tattoos. I really want them to explain the front Asian Tattoo this year. I hope it is actually an intentional tattoo that he got in honor of Akio, or something inspirational from his time on Island #2. If that is the case, I hope they keep that tattoo.

I am perfectly ok with them removing his Shado dragon. I think it is good for his mental health to remove some of the physical reminders of the torture on the island. At first, I was a little against it because in someways it is removing Shado, but that tattoo was never a healthy reminder or put there in her honor. He could mentally spin in in his head, like people do with battle or health scars/wounds. But if the option is there to remove it, that is probably the best route to go down.

The Bratva Tattoo - I hope they do NOT remove this tattoo. We don't even know what he did to get the tattoo yet. So until they tell that story I want the tattoo to stay around.

The ARROW branding - I know I disagree with some people on the board about this, but I want that branding to stay at least for a little longer. It is a physical reminder of OQ's sacrifice for his sister's life, but also some of his less than intelligent decisions in s3. He needs to remember that he is part of a team & a loved member of a family/friends unit. The arrow branding I think can be the physical reminder of what he suffered for his family/friends, but also because of some of his own choices. He made some mistakes in s3, I hope the branding a reminder to not make those mistakes again.

• Love 3

Can you even remove a branding? That's not like a tattoo which is ink (I'll ignore the Hollywood magic of it just disappearing as if it was never there). I would think the branding it a scar that would require some level of major sugery. Unless you're saying magic it away like in the LP?

Getting rid of the Arrow brand makes sense from a practical purpose, his name is repeatedly connected to the Arrow (even with that dumbass Roy/prison plot). Anyone sees him shirtless (hospital, mama smoak, etc) would at least question it.

Speaking of Mama Smoak, CR tweeted out a picture of herself and SA. Donna is in the same pink dress as her first day of filming (with echo). I wonder if 406 takes place in a single day? She also has bruises, so she could have gotten kidnapped again too. Unless they shot scenes for other days/clothing and then went back to scenes for this day?

ETA:  Just saw the other picture of EBR/CR in the bed and they're wearing the same clothes as they did in the pose with Echo a few days ago. So either this all takes place in one day, the photos are all from the same day of shooting, or they went back to shoot scenes in the same clothes/day - a few days apart (is that normal?)

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Depends on how many layers of skin were damaged. But one might be able to get skin grafts to remove/fix the brand. It would be a process and would require surgical intervention.

Its probably too late for anything topical. But @aychihuahua mentioned perhaps a couple drops of lp water. OQ does have his magical herb collection so there might be something there.

If they wanted to they could find a believable way to remove the brand. As for the Arrow drawing attention, could always say it was done on island. Not many people have seen him shirtless, so it's not like there is a big account of what his back looked like. I don't think it would associate him with the Arrow; he could always just claim to be a fan if he was desperate for an excuse. Or he could stage a kidnapping/branding session.

Regarding Oliver's Asian tattoo:

-- The answer to Oliver's Asian tattoos will be coming up this season. (MG tumblr post, page 19 of Spoilers thread)

Regarding Oliver's lack of tattoos, SA has hinted at their removal during the 5-month hiatus:

• "Oliver is almost entirely at peace when we first see him. And we see that both emotionally in terms of his state and, uh, I pitched an idea where we actually see a literal physical change that shows that he has moved past some of the things that have happened to him over the past several years." (TV Equals video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 165 of Behind the Mask thread)
  • "Oliver is totally at peace at the beginning of season four. I mean we see that in an emotional sense, and in a - I almost feel like, a body-posture sense, but we also definitely - we see it... this was actually one of my pitches. We have a really cool way of actually physically seeing Oliver removing some of what has happened to him over the past eight years." (Laura Brown video of media interview with SA at SDCC 2015, page 155 of Behind the Mask thread)

From the Nerdist interview with MG (posted in Starling City Times thread):

MG: I’m not objective, obviously, but I’ve been really, really pleased with this year. We finished the first three years like a trilogy. This year, it feels the same and new at the same time. The newness has just been really invigorating, I think for everybody. The show really has an incredible scope this year. We’re all having a lot of fun writing the new, lighter tone. I think the actors are enjoying the dynamics. I think we’re doing a much better job than we have in the past of balancing all of our characters. We have a large ensemble, and I feel like everyone in each episode has their moment to shine, which is something that we’ve always wanted to get to. That’s always just a big challenge. I think we’re coming out of the gate really strong, and I really, really hope that everyone watches it and enjoys it. I think they will. I’m very optimistic about what people will think of the new season.

I don't understand why they feel the need to make Arrow an equal ensemble show.  The show is supposed to be primarily about Oliver Queen and his hero journey (I thought).  Even though I do want to know more about Felicity and Diggle, and to give them more stories, the main core of the show should still always be Oliver.  If they want an equal ensemble show, then they've got LoT now.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 11
ETA:  Just saw the other picture of EBR/CR in the bed and they're wearing the same clothes as they did in the pose with Echo a few days ago. So either this all takes place in one day, the photos are all from the same day of shooting, or they went back to shoot scenes in the same clothes/day - a few days apart (is that normal?)

It all might take place in one day, but also, it is pretty normal to go back to the same wardrobe on a different day. Especially considering the bruises makeup on Charlotte Ross. They usually put those on at the start of the day, and shoot all of the scenes that need the makeup together.

• Love 1

Regarding Oliver's Asian tattoo:

Regarding Oliver's lack of tattoos, SA has hinted at their removal during the 5-month hiatus:

thanks... i remembered it being mentioned. But I'm starting to enter my no trust zone that what they promised over the summer they will deliver in the fall. :)

Edited by kismet

The ARROW branding - I know I disagree with some people on the board about this, but I want that branding to stay at least for a little longer. It is a physical reminder of OQ's sacrifice for his sister's life, but also some of his less than intelligent decisions in s3. He needs to remember that he is part of a team & a loved member of a family/friends unit. The arrow branding I think can be the physical reminder of what he suffered for his family/friends, but also because of some of his own choices. He made some mistakes in s3, I hope the branding a reminder to not make those mistakes again.

If that works I wish they'd branded him on his forehead, or maybe arm or something, where he could actually see it. If it kept him from being so GD dumb again I'd be all for it.

I don't understand why they feel the need to make Arrow an equal ensemble show.  The show is supposed to be primarily about Oliver Queen and his hero journey (I thought).  Even though I do want to know more about Felicity and Diggle, and to give them more stories, the main core of the show should still always be Oliver.  If they want an equal ensemble show, then they've got LoT now.

That was my thought as well. I guess if SA is relieved that he's getting a break from all the work that goes along with being the main character of your own show, then OK. (Not that I like that shift, personally, but I get that it can be overwhelming.) But I don't watch for all the other people - though similarly to you, I do want to know more about Dig and Felicity. They got me hooked on Oliver's journey in the first two seasons; I feel a little bit like I've been baited and switched with this whole "We're an ensemble!" thing they're trying to sell now.

• Love 9

From the Nerdist interview with MG (posted in Starling City Times thread):

I don't understand why they feel the need to make Arrow an equal ensemble show. The show is supposed to be primarily about Oliver Queen and his hero journey (I thought). Even though I do want to know more about Felicity and Diggle, and to give them more stories, the main core of the show should still always be Oliver. If they want an equal ensemble show, then they've got LoT now.

Shows work better that way. Oliver will always be THE main character and get the most screen time but the show flourishes by being able to focus on others and have them add to the show. 23 episodes is a lot story to tell. Look at Buffy/Angel, their names are the title of the show but their cast was just as important as they were. Buffy wasn't even the hero of s6 finale, it was Xander. All of them got storylines and development just as much as Buffy/Angel did and it didn't harm the show.

Shows work better that way. Oliver will always be THE main character and get the most screen time but the show flourishes by being able to focus on others and have them add to the show. 23 episodes is a lot story to tell. Look at Buffy/Angel, their names are the title of the show but their cast was just as important as they were. Buffy wasn't even the hero of s6 finale, it was Xander. All of them got storylines and development just as much as Buffy/Angel did and it didn't harm the show.

I'm not at all opposed to having other people on the cast be part of the story and get their own storylines. I think the difference for me - and given that we haven't seen how this is actually going to work out on the show yet - is that MG is describing the show as a "large ensemble." I think that's what concerns me. I never thought of either Buffy or Angel as "ensembles" even though both shows had great supporting characters that I was completely invested in.  Mostly. :) But even as those other characters had their own stories and growth, there was never any question that the shows were about Buffy and Angel. That may very well be how this is going to work out with Arrow, too. It's just that in the anticipation, I'm wary. 

• Love 12

Just watched a video on SA's facebook page that he posted about 9 hours ago.  He said that it was a fun day, that they were shooting episode 6, that he worked with CR, and that he worked with EK for the first time.

So Oliver doesn't meet Curtis Holt until episode 6, even though Curtis (EK) debuts in episode 2 and also appears in episode 3.  So it sounds like Curtis and Felicity work together at PT for about four weeks before Oliver even meets Curtis.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Oh yay. Just what I wanted. Felicity stuck on Palmer island, part 2. Although, I thought EK said on twitter that he'd had a scene with Oliver and Felicity in episode 2 or 3? Maybe I'm confusing things.

As for the ensemble idea, sorry but this is not the Justice League. I'm all for telling the stories of other characters and learning more about them but I'm mainly here for Oliver. That's what this whole show is about. One of the biggest problems of s3 was essentially pushing Oliver out of the way so other people had the chance to play hero. Oliver's character suffered because they were too concerned with making other things happen. Nope. No thanks. I don't want to watch another season of that happening.

Edited by Guest

EK had a couple tweets that made it sound like he had already worked with SA and EBR. Some one asked if he saw the chemistry first hand or something and he said yes. Someone asked him if he was filming with the OTA and he kind of implied he was (smiley/winking face I think). He also said that fans would love his first scene with Olicity. He could have just been reading 4x06. He never outright said he had worked with SA.

Not a fan of the concept of Arroe being an ensemble show. SA is their show. IMO the show works best when he is the focal point. Its why I had such a hard time last year with Laurel and Ray. I just couldn't care about them because they were so far removed from Oliver.

• Love 7
According to Guggenheim, we’re moving “closer and closer” to the introduction of the chili in season 4. “I’m surprised [and] I think you’d be surprised at how much Oliver’s culinary skills play a role in season 4,” he added. “My answer probably seems weird and stupid right now, but it will all actually make a lot more sense when you see the season premiere.” We’ll take it.

Oliver, if your second proposal attempt involves putting the ring in the chili bowl, I'm gonna personally hit you upside the head with a dutch oven.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 19

People are up in arms on Twitter cause MG put foot in mouth and Said Bascially Curtis is Felicitys Best Friend. People need to remember you can have more than one BF. Oliver is her Best Friend and Lover. Diggle is a BF. We want Felicity to have to a life outside of Oliver than Complain when she gets one lol she's gonna be busy running a Company

• Love 4

I didn't read that MG interview as saying he wanted an equal ensemble show.  Oliver is the still the main character.  I took MG's comment as an acknowledgment that in the past they have not always done a good job of balancing out the supporting characters on the show and he thought they were doing a better job of balancing all the characters this season.  

• Love 5

People are up in arms on Twitter cause MG put foot in mouth and Said Bascially Curtis is Felicitys Best Friend. People need to remember you can have more than one BF. Oliver is her Best Friend and Lover. Diggle is a BF. We want Felicity to have to a life outside of Oliver than Complain when she gets one lol she's gonna be busy running a Company

A lot of people on twitter are so black and white, it's tiring.

• Love 2

I don't think many are up in arms about this. I just think people want them to remember the relationships that they already have established and in s3 they basically forgot for most of the season that Diggle and Felicity have a really close friendship. As long as they remember that, I don't see a problem with Felicity and Curtis being friends at all.

Edited by Guest

Sara didn't use her little bombs that often, so since they're starting off the season with Laurel being full-on Black Canary with fully developed fighting skills, they might not feel the need to showcase it. I'm glad for it, because it looks completely ridiculous.

• Love 2

They know that they missed the mark with Palmer last season. They might not own up to their mistakes, but they are aware. I don't think we are in for a Palmer Island situation. Besides, it couldn't be much of a storyline for Felicity if she didn't have some character support. A Curtis is needed. 

I do get the fear. Echo/Curtis has gotten a lot of prep by the showrunner, Ray did too. 

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 1

I don't think many are up in arms about this. I just think people want them to remember the relationships that they already have established and in s3 they basically forgot for most of the season that Diggle and Felicity have a really close friendship. As long as they remember that, I don't see a problem with Felicity and Curtis being friends at all.

I get that and I totally agree as I love the Diggle and Felicity friendship and was upset with they did to that friendship so fuckboy Palmer could move in.

I'm thinking she uses it in the first three episodes, but due to time restraints they featured her on the motorcycle in the promo.

I wonder how easy it is to fit into fight scenes. It clearly isn't made for close combat. 

I thought she looked great performing the Canary cry but for it to be amped up 10x from Saras bombs, it sounded horrible and underperformed. Hope they fix it this season.

It should be used as a surprise attack and to get out of tough situations. If the team is being defeated by the Ghosts, she should whip it out and should give them enough time to retreat.

Edited by Primal Slayer

I'm glad for you.

To me, and this would go to anyone fake performing a sonic scream, it looks like she's taking the most difficult poo of her life. I hope they use it sparingly.

Oh, I don't think it applies to everyone.  The way X-Men 2 handled Terry/Siryn and First Class handled Sean/Banshee worked.  Hell, even Smallville's Black Canary didn't look like she was taking a giant dump, although everything else about Smallville was cheesy as hell including the fact that Dinah looked like a reject from Ghost Busters.  

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

She looks like a three year old throwing a temper tantrum. But she's trying to make it look good for the camera so she is doing an awkward pose at the same time. It doesn't translate on screen well. 

I think she is trying to hard to make it look 'physical.' She isn't throwing a cool, complicated fight move. All she has to do is stand there and scream.

• Love 2

I always thought that power looked stupid in live action. It works in comics because you see the sonic beams or whatever. That's why I liked that they went with a device for Sara. It emits the sonic sound without the user having to look like an idiot screaming. 

Maybe they should done the whistling that Banshee in X-Men First Class did. Still not that interesting visually but it doesn't look that stupid and also kind of keep the bird theme. 

• Love 6

Yeah, to be fair to Laurel/KC, I don't think anyone would look good performing the canary cry. It looks ridiculous and just makes me laugh. The sonic device used by Sara was much better and a really inventive realistic way of bringing the cc to the screen. So I do hope they only use it sparingly. But it will be used. I don't know why anyone thinks otherwise. They didn't go to all the trouble of having Cisco make it only for Laurel to never use it again.

Edited by Guest

I just have so many questions for Cisco. Does she have to open her mouth to a fixed width to turn on the collar? If she's in the middle of a mission and has to yell a word that starts with an open A, does it accidentally turn on the device? What if she accidentally swallows a bug mid cry and coughs? Does it keep going?

• Love 13

My thoughts exactly. I wanted to say something on Twitter but I didn't want to upset people. I'm glad she's getting a friend outside of Team Arrow/Oliver.

Edited by SmoakingLove

A problem on the show has always been that Felicity doesn't have any friends who aren't Team Arrow, and after Sara died in The Calm and Diggle was all Team Oliver in s3, it seemed like she didn't have friends at all.  A corollary (complaint) of that was that we never really got to hear how she felt about things. Lots of how Oliver feels and even how Diggle feels but never about how Felicity felt unless it was in a scene about Oliver.  Hopefully Curtis will remedy that, as well as deal with the criticisms that Felicity doesn't have a life beyond crushing on Oliver.

"I think we’re doing a much better job than we have in the past of balancing all of our characters. We have a large ensemble, and I feel like everyone in each episode has their moment to shine, which is something that we’ve always wanted to get to."

He says that they have an ensemble, but not that it is an ensemble show.  Hopefully the EPs realize that Oliver is First Among Many but that yes, there are many on the show.  I think the fact that last season, even though Oliver was supposed to be completely off camera for 3 episodes (per SA), he still showed up in every one means they realize that.

Along with the Felicity problem mentioned above, they've also had the problem that when one character got a storyline, the others disappeared (e.g. Diggle and Felicity in 2B).  I'm going to be optimistic and hope that this is a way of addressing that.  Everyone doesn't need a spotlight every episode but the 4 episode arc emphasizing one of the non-Oliver characters and losing everyone else has got to go.

• Love 8

Yes I agree, she needed a life & friends outside of the Arrowcave. All O&F, all the time would have been too much. Plus they seem to have quirky chemistry which might be fun.

I didn't read that MG interview as saying he wanted an equal ensemble show.  Oliver is the still the main character.  I took MG's comment as an acknowledgment that in the past they have not always done a good job of balancing out the supporting characters on the show and he thought they were doing a better job of balancing all the characters this season.  

Positive spin & outlook. I'll take it, better than fearing the worse right now. Balance can be good.

They know that they missed the mark with Palmer last season. They might not own up to their mistakes, but they are aware. I don't think we are in for a Palmer Island situation. Besides, it couldn't be much of a storyline for Felicity if she didn't have some character support. A Curtis is needed. 

I do get the fear. Echo/Curtis has gotten a lot of prep by the showrunner, Ray did too. 

We're getting Palmer Island the sequel until they find him. FS & Echo seem only to be working on RP's story. Luckily, it seems like a smaller island this season since the show needs RP for the spin-off. We really won't know until the 2nd part of series - how much they both have a life or professional arc after they solve the big RP mystery. Heck, at least they had OQ & Echo shot scenes together. Last year, OQ & RP shot 301 and then never interacted with each other until the late spring. It seems like the writers are at least fixing that mistake & mingling them sooner.

Here's hoping Mr.T doesn't require a suit that sucks up copious amounts of budget money for a few cheesy scenes that could have been CGI.

• Love 2

FS & Echo seem only to be working on RP's story.

Umm I don't think this is true at all... What with the T-Sphere, the weirdo meta human attacking them, Felicity facing challenges w/ being CEO, EK/CR have been working together, EK/SA have worked together and apparently after EBR, EK works most with DR... And this is just the first 9 episodes. 

So yeah... This statement is completely false 

• Love 2

I might have missed something, but doesn't Felicity think Ray is dead? So, in theory she wouldn't be looking for him.

I'm kind of hoping that Ray doesn't show up until 4x07 or 4x08, because I don't want them to waste Mama Smoak/what seems to be a Felicity-centric episode on his return. 

• Love 1

Umm I don't think this is true at all... What with the T-Sphere, the weirdo meta human attacking them, Felicity facing challenges w/ being CEO, EK/CR have been working together, EK/SA have worked together and apparently after EBR, EK works most with DR... And this is just the first 9 episodes. 

So yeah... This statement is completely false 

Well, I'm not sure if its completely false. It might be an overstatement, so in that regard I understand your point. But I think its safe to say we'll just have to wait and see what they give us :) Here's hoping it is as varied as you suggest. One of my biggest fears after the summer spoilers was there was a lot of talk about FS & her role in finding RP, with some Olicity stuff. Even WM, seemed to imply that her father story had been pushed. But not a lot of FS in her own character driven arc. That's all I want is a good character driven arc for her, not another season masquerading as about FS, but really about RP or Mr. T/Tspheres this year. CR being on set is promising, then again it seemed that way before 318 & we all know how much of the potential of that visit was wasted.

• Love 8

Marc was on tumblr again today. My favorite questions/answers: 

Something tells me Lyla will be over what Oliver did before Diggle will, am I right?

MG: Ep. 403 holds your answer.

Shouldn't Felicity be given a codename so that bad guys won't hear her name being said on the comm link? She is a hacker, doesn't she have a handle which she goes by that they could use to protect her identity?

MG: Keep watching.

Since Olicity is a couple now. I'm wondering though how will Oliver deal with Felicity being CEO?

MG: He’s supportive of her.

You once had a plan to transition Felicity into the Oracle. DC basically changed their mind and decided to use that persona elsewhere. Were you finally able to come up with a backup destiny for Felicity? What's the deal here?

MG: You’ll see…

Thank you for getting John back in the field where he belongs! Will we eventually see the events leading up to Andy's death?

MG: Andy’s death is a big mystery that will occupy the first half of Season 4.

Hello Marc. As a huge comic book nerd, I must say you did a wonderful job with progression of Oliver's character as well as his relationship with Felicity. Unsurprisingly, I was very sceptical of this storyline at the beginning, but oh man did you people prove me wrong. I strongly believe that their love story is one of the (if not the one) greatest hero love stories ever. It has incorporated love, friendship, trust and partnership. I am very invested in the further progression. Outstanding job!

MG: Thank you!

So last year we got Billy Joel's song, "Vienna" to describe Oliver and Felicity's relationship. Was this to describe them as a whole or was it season based? If season based, what song would you use to describe them this year?

MG: “You’re My Home”

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1

This show is called Arrow.

It hasn't escaped my attention or others that her story only ever deals with Sara or when Oliver dies or leaves for a couple of months.

Fans of show act like Oliver or Felicity leave for years and some even try to shame them. You know which side I'm talking about. They've been at it for years before the newbies joined. So they deserve a break.