Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Still Stuff Worth Fighting For

Fr Jude and Sr Celine try to help a young girl escape an angry mob that believes she is the Messiah, while Jamie's search for his birth mother grinds to a halt when he is again mistaken for Ariel. Rhonda's brother Scotty kickstarts the US government's Operation Saviour, while her and Leanne's bid to rejoin their families is scuppered when she is arrested for stealing clothes.

Are they going to stick to the day-an-episode thing? I'll be annoyed if there's still 20+ days to go at the end of the season.

Wow I hadn't thought of that.

I'm getting really confused by all the storyline crossovers. Is Jamie's wife also the mother of the giraffe girl? Is the guy Rhonda's brother is apparently sleeping with also his boss at the Pentagon or wherever he works? 

• Love 2

I'm getting more drawn in by Sister Celine and Father Jude's journey now and less in Rhonda the ditsy and scattered. I enjoy Jamie mostly because Dave is with him, but Ariel seems to be less and less a merry prankster and more a dangerous criminal.

I haven't connected all the links, either, iMonrey, but General Gaines does seem to have authority over Kyle's department (which consists of one person). Absent any org charts, I assume he's Kyle's boss as well as lover.

• Love 1

Wow I hadn't thought of that.

I'm getting really confused by all the storyline crossovers. Is Jamie's wife also the mother of the giraffe girl? Is the guy Rhonda's brother is apparently sleeping with also his boss at the Pentagon or wherever he works?

Yes, that's what they revealed in this episode.

And I'm pretty sure based on her age that giraffe girl is Jamie's daughter.

All I could think with that person at the end of the episode was "Lady Gaga in 20 years". Also it seems that Rhonda, Ariel (or Jamie), Rhonda's brother and Rob Lowe are the four horsemen of the apocalypse?

• Love 3

Also it seems that Rhonda, Ariel (or Jamie), Rhonda's brother and Rob Lowe are the four horsemen of the apocalypse?

That's something I didn't think of, so who's who? I would assume it would have to be Rhonda, Jamie, nun, and Ariel since the story is being told for their points of view, but they don't quite fit. Some corollary characters work better as the Horsemen.

White = Pestilence: Ariel wears a white horse mask, so I can see him as Pestilence with computer viruses and such.

Red = War: Didn't the Pope Force One have a red insignia? The nun/Rob Lowe could be heralds of war since people will start fighting about who's the second coming of Christ. 

Black = Famine: Rhonda's brother is intimate with that guy in charge of the secret save-the-world program. Ride the black horse in a double entendre way. Maybe Famine in this case isn't lack of food, but lack of fertile possibilities for their breeding program?

Green/Yellow = Death: Rhonda/White Supremacist both were wearing yellow prison jumpsuits, so maybe they get in the middle of some plan to save everyone and screw it up.

I suppose Jamie could be the everyman, the poor schmucks in the middle of bigger things going on around them.

Edited by Zanne
  • Love 2

I became a bit concerned for Rob Lowe's character during the mob attack.  I don't recall seeing a shot of him in the bunker, not so far.

Interesting about the Four Horsemen.  I hadn't thought of the four story lines in terms of that framework.  Now I feel like I should have!

• Love 3

I totally kissed that that was h wife. Why was the child in a giraffe suit?

I thought she was supposed to be actually divine hence her seeing sister Sophia. Nice touch.

I'm a bit confused. WJ kidnapped Rhonda's son?

I'm more curious as to who the woman was that died in the car accident that landed giraffe girl in the hospital (I assume she's in the giraffe costume because she's a child and her mother is indulgent) because it clearly wasn't her mother. Maybe it was Mary, Ariel and Jamie's mom.

And yeah, Ariel kidnapped Spike. The guy playing Ariel/Jamie is pretty great, when Ariel slips into his "I'm a huge dick" it always comes off really subtle and menacing. Whereas Jamie is just so dumb and nice.

• Love 2

Well, thank goodness for this thread because I had no idea the magic holy giraffe child's mother was Jamie's missing-for-seven-years wife. 

I'm sure the woman behind the plastic sheeting is Jamie and Ariel's mother.   She's had a bead on this whole apocalypse thing since before the twins were born.  Diorama!  I don't know how she segued from commune hippie to power figure, running operatives to gather up the chosen few for the survivor shelter.  The "mental institution" is clearly a cover, but no clue why the operatives were wearing hazmat.  Too many questions, too few answers--time to toss us a crumb, show.

Jenna Fischer needs to dial down from the edge of hysteria; she's making me sympathetic to the pragmatic racist.

Good work on the horsemen!  I hadn't sussed any of that out yet.

I have to go get a piece of tape to cover my webcam now.

• Love 1