Type keyword(s) to search

MASH - General Discussion

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

I enjoyed the special last night, especially the segments showcasing each character. I had seen most of the interviews before. One point that the special really drove home was that we will never see a show like M*A*S*H ever again with its unique blend of humor and heart ache. It's also apparent that the actors really loved each other and that affection bled through their on screen characters. I feel very privileged that I grew up watching this show. It still makes me laugh and cry today. 

• Like 5

On the episode "Heroes", BJ and Charles, were a little annoyed with Hawkeye answering/being chased by the news reporters, when the boxers  medical condition was terminal.  

Just what was Hawkeye supposed to do ? The reporters chased him down, and if didn't at least answer word would have gotten back to potter.

"The Joker Is Wild" is on now, and I want to smack BJ for whining about Trapper the whole damned time.

It's like he can't bear the fact that Hawkeye once had another friend besides him.

Just rewatched “Adam’s Ribs”,  which is definitely in my Top 20 of MASH eps.  Hawkeye’s flip-out in the mess tent is a classic (“I’ve eaten a river of liver and an ocean of fish!…I’ve eaten so much fish I’ve grown gills! I’ve eaten so much liver, I can only make love if I’m smothered in bacon & onions!” — tweenage me wasn’t sure what “making love” was, but Alda’s delivery of the line always had me cry-laughing).

I loved the supply sergeant who stood between Hawkeye and the package.  Those guys were always shown to be the toughest and most wily of the non-comms.  That moment when he guessed where in Chicago the ribs were from (“I’m from Joliet! I’d walk on my knees through snow for a takeout order!”) pinged so hard years later when I was on the other side of the world, pining for KC bbq.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Re: the recent special:

Where was Trapper from? I grabbed this snip when they were talking about casting the show. BJ said Mill Valley, so much I can't remember Trapper saying any city/state..

Henry was supposed to be around 48? That's a little old for the draft..

image.png.3cd21ef028eb7c67d51e8262a5887264.png

Edited by sATL
42 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Why did I think Trapper was from Boston?

There was a line (maybe in the movie?).  Trapper was silent but someone else said, "He's from Boston and he was drafted."

1 hour ago, rubaco said:

Why did I think Trapper was from Boston? There has to be a reason. (And no, I'm not mixing him up with Charles!)

23 minutes ago, Driad said:

There was a line (maybe in the movie?).  Trapper was silent but someone else said, "He's from Boston and he was drafted."

OK. Surprised the writers of the TV show made two characters from the same city. I guess it was better Trapper didn't mention Boston much, as Charles ran mentioning his hometown into the ground.

Did Henry give any clues to his age, in the movie? I figured it was close to 40 - from a crack Hawkeye made in "Henry in love"🤣🤣

Why did they name Margaret's husband Donald Penobscot?  From what we heard about his family, they were upper crust New Englanders who might tolerate the Winchesters.  But Penobscot is the name of a Native American people, whose homeland is in Maine but who would not have the snooty attitude that Donald's family did.  It sounds to me as if the writers chose a New Englandish name but didn't do their homework.

Probably because Trapper and Charles were about as different as one could hope.  And yes, I don't think Trapper ever said where he was from in the series.  

After Charles gets transferred to the 4077, the writers seem to forget that Hawkeye went to medical school in Boston.  Perhaps Harvard, perhaps not, but I always thought Hawkeye Boston vs Charles Boston would have been a treasure trove.

• Like 1

In the book Hawkeye attended Androscoggin College in Maine, although I'm not sure if that's where he got his MD.  He knew Trapper because they had played football against each other (Trap went to Dartmouth).

• Useful 1

And yes, I don't think Trapper ever said where he was from in the series.  

Doesn't Trapper tell the soldier with hysterical paralysis that he's from Boston? 

Glad no one asked me this question...I would have gotten it wrong...and I would admit this particular eposide isn't one of my favorites, so I tend not to listen/watch too closely when it's on..

Screenshot_20240211_172920_Chrome.jpg

On 2/7/2024 at 5:44 PM, Fosca said:

[Hawkeye] knew Trapper because they had played football against each other (Trap went to Dartmouth).

In the book, it takes Hawkeye awhile to remember why the new guy seemed so familiar.  When the penny drops, he explains to Duke how John McIntyre got his name.

Quoting from memory so it’s inexact:

”Jesus to Jesus and eight hands around!…[McIntyre was in the train’s bathroom doing it with some girl], and when the conductor found them, she screamed, ‘He trapped me!’…This is the famous Trapper John!”

Unsurprising that *that particular anecdote never made it to the small screen.

There was a LOT in the book/movie that didn't make it to the TV show.  Other than the character's names and that they were in a MASH in Korea, most of the rest was changed.  The author of the book was NOT happy that it became so (pardon the expression) "woke", particularly in the later seasons, and if you've seen the movie or read the book it's VERY different.