Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Three Queens, Two Tigers

PinkRibbons

NOTE: Reign airs on Thursdays in Canada, meaning that the episodes are very often viewed a day before they have aired in the US. Therefore please be aware that this thread will almost definitely have spoilers for those who wish to wait until Friday night to view the new episode.

In the third-season opener, Mary faces struggles in Scotland as Elizabeth and Catherine unite against her. Meanwhile, Elizabeth loses focus because she grows tempted by her first love; and Francis' fate remains uncertain.

I am very much liking that it sounds like Elizabeth will be getting a good share of screentime, and not just as a villain to Mary.

As things stand, with the low promo for the show and the switch to a Friday-night death slot, this very well may be the last season of Reign. Let's hope they make it a good one!

• Love 1

I know right? It really torques me that they promote the heck out of iZombie, which I think is beyond stupid, but this show is left to die a slow death. If we are to assume that this season is to be the last, I wonder if it will end with Mary's beheading, or right before.

I know right? It really torques me that they promote the heck out of iZombie, which I think is beyond stupid, but this show is left to die a slow death. If we are to assume that this season is to be the last, I wonder if it will end with Mary's beheading, or right before.

That would be quite the time jump. I can't picture this show ending with Mary's beheading. I can picture something idiotic happening like Mary escaping and an impersonator set up in her place.

I think it sucks the network doesn't care about the show, but since I never expected to get a third season at all, I'm okay with this being the last season.

Was it just me, or was this a little rushed? I felt like a lot of the time people were speed-reading their lines.

The kid who plays Charles seems pretty good.

They gave Francis' hair even more tiny curls, I see. argh.

I'm so sad the Catherine/Elizabeth fanfic is over already. :(

I was also getting sad the pirate chose someone else over Greer but then no! Kinda. I wouldn't mind seeing him again.

Why is this Bash plot a thing?

All this Amy/Dudley stuff seems like it would confusing for those who don't know the story. Elizabeth's adviser seems much cuter than Dudley anyway, she should go for him. Was that supposed to be Walsingham or Cecil or neither?

Every time I'm ready to quit this show it draws me back in. Catherine's double just accidentally be"heads" her lover...

This show just loves death/mutilation via sex, doesn't it. First the window, now castration.

I absolutely loved it! I don't miss Kenna in the slightest, hopefully she stays gone. Loved everything else, especially the end. Teared up when Francis told Mary that he was dying.

I liked Kenna/Bash, but yeah, I don't need her around either.

• Love 1

I found it strange that Claude, Leith and Kenna never got so much as a mention. But then I rather enjoy Kenna -- I like that she doesn't lie to herself. I'd trade this bizarre Bash thing to find out how it's going with her pregnancy.

Elizabeth is interesting. She's showing more fear than I'd like, but I suppose her famous temper took some time to grow into.

If that last scene was supposed to make me feel like Mary got a win, it did the opposite. I was disgusted by her. There was something very unclassy about the whole Tiger thing. Anyway I'm still rooting for Catherine because in the end, I still don't see how what she did was so bad, especially on the scale of Catherine horrors. Conde should have been killed before he threatened her whole family (not to mention the country) again, and John Philip and Lola were unharmed in the end and would have been returned so. But I suppose I'm poisoned on Mary ever since the whole Conde thing.

Francis dying is very sad and the actors are playing it well. I do wonder though about why on earth no one has mentioned the possibility of Mary getting pregnant with an heir as opposed to defaulting immediately to Charles. It's like they're not even holding out hope. Historically I don't believe Mary left France after Francis's death until it was absolutely determined that she wasn't pregnant; we're talking basic protocol.

I did like Mary with the rosary. They've spent too much time having her be ridiculously tolerant of Protestantism, it's nice to see a sign that she still believes in Catholicism.

• Love 3

All this Amy/Dudley stuff seems like it would confusing for those who don't know the story. Elizabeth's adviser seems much cuter than Dudley anyway, she should go for him. Was that supposed to be Walsingham or Cecil or neither?

She called him William so it must be Cecil. I still want to know who Amy was having sex with at the end. I imagine we are going to see her murder/suicide since they introduced her character. She seems pretty spry for a gal dying of breast cancer though

She called him William so it must be Cecil. I still want to know who Amy was having sex with at the end. I imagine we are going to see her murder/suicide since they introduced her character. 

If they do I hope they let Mary say the "the queen of England has murdered to be with her horse master" line (paraphrasing).

If that last scene was supposed to make me feel like Mary got a win, it did the opposite. I was disgusted by her. There was something very unclassy about the whole Tiger thing. Anyway I'm still rooting for Catherine because in the end, I still don't see how what she did was so bad, especially on the scale of Catherine horrors. Conde should have been killed before he threatened her whole family (not to mention the country) again, and John Philip and Lola were unharmed in the end and would have been returned so. But I suppose I'm poisoned on Mary ever since the whole Conde thing.

I'm still rooting for Catherine, but that's just cause I like her, not because I don't think what she did was that bad. She is that bad really, but that's what makes her fun. Besides, she outlives both, so it's easy for me to watch her take her lumps. I do admit I was thinking to myself, "don't worry Catherine, all you have to do is wait them out." Unless the writers kill her off, which, I'm pretty sure she's their favorite character and not gonna do that."

I did like how Mary realized it was an impostor because the impostor was guilt-stricken. hee.

I would like this to play out till the end of Catherine - who I think outlived her family.  It's pissing me off that CW will keep iZombie and those vapid vampire shows alive (lol) and not take care of a show that has some actual real history (although they do butcher it, and the ladies' dresses!).  This is one of the 2 shows on CW that I had any interest in, the other being Supernatural, but they moved Supernatural's day slots too many times I no longer watch it.  I have other things to do on whatever night it's on now.

Was Mary's feather dress a "thing" in that time period?

I have to remind myself these current kings and queens were really teenagers or 20-somethings at best.  Dayamn!  And death was always around the corner.  I kept yelling at the TV "Mary, your head's going to be cut off, run, run to.....well, anywhere but France or Italy."

eta Or Scotland, that's just not worth it.

Edited by Happycatisfine

I would like this to play out till the end of Catherine - who I think outlived her family.  It's pissing me off that CW will keep iZombie and those vapid vampire shows alive (lol) and not take care of a show that has some actual real history (although they do butcher it, and the ladies' dresses!).  This is one of the 2 shows on CW that I had any interest in, the other being Supernatural, but they moved Supernatural's day slots too many times I no longer watch it.  I have other things to do on whatever night it's on now.

Was Mary's feather dress a "thing" in that time period?

Nope.

• Love 1

I really liked this episode.  I did think they spend way too much time with exposition in the beginning but overall it was great.

I like Rachel Skarsten as Elizabeth but for me it's hard to be too invested/interested because Elizabeth I is such a well researched and covered historical figure. All the angst over marriage etc. when we know Elizabeth doesn't get married or produce an heir. Mary and et al are more fun because Mary's most well known for how she dies. All the rest leading up to that can mostly be messed with. 

Francis is my favorite character so I'm glad to see he's back in action - though sadly not for long. I teared up a bit when he told Mary, "You'll survive this." It's sad because she won't really and neither will the monarchy in France. Toby Regbo is doing a wonderful job playing a king running out of time.

Still, I don't get why Mary's forgiven over and over and his mother is punished but we'll see how it goes. Are Claude, Leith and Kenna gone for good? 

Edited by t7686
  • Love 1

Still, I don't get why Mary's forgiven over and over and his mother is punished but we'll see how it goes. Are Claude, Leith and Kenna gone for good? 

I think so? I wouldn't be surprised to see Leith and Kenna pop up once more.

I like Rachel Skarsten as Elizabeth but for me it's hard to be too invested/interested because Elizabeth I is such a well researched and covered historical figure. All the angst over marriage etc. when we know Elizabeth doesn't get married or produce an heir.

Well, it is Reign. They might give us a ridiculous sub plot where Elizabeth gets pregnant and has to hide it with more and more ridiculous dresses, heh.

• Love 2

I'm glad they didn't make Francis' impending death a secret. Francis is still my favorite character and I'm glad they are killing him off so he has a good ending without further character assassination for the sake of drama.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 3

That was a pretty nice beginning to the season, and I'm very glad Francis isn't keeping his health a secret to Mary. I had hoped the "not a witch" plot had disappeared with the character last season. If I need a crazy pagan side plot, I'll take Nostradamus.

• Love 1

Mary still disgusts me, I was so bored with the lovey-dovey interlude in the beginning. I was glad they got to Francis revealing he's dying as fast as they did -- I expected that to be stretched out longer. Greer's plot was cute, as was Lola's, though I find it hard to believe Conde would be attracted to a young thing like her when he was in a romance with the fiery experienced Catherine. Speaking of, that was mean and lame, for Francis to treat his mother that way. I don't care what she did, that's in the past and it's his mother. But then, I prefer the fascinating Catherine over bland, snotty Mary, who never got properly punished for her treasonous behavior last season.

So, yeah, I'm rooting for Elizabeth. Not hard to do, she's such an awesome strong female historical figure. I'm glad the show is giving her some nuance -- I half expected them to turn her into a modern "mean girl."

• Love 1