Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Goods: The clothing and home decor of The Gilmore Girls

• Start Topic

Here's something to start discussion: What was the worst outfit worn by any of the Gilmore Girls?

I actually really hate the dress Lor wears to the christening. It's a peachy pink dress with a matching sweater. Very bridesmaid looking.

• Love 1

Not sure you can beat the short shorts and cowboy boots on Rory's first day at Chilton.

Ugh, that ensemble just bugged the crap out of me.

For a closet that Rory raided more than once, even if her "work" clothes were all at the cleaners, that Daisy Duke look complete with cowboy boots was the only outfit she could pull out of the closet?

She didn't have a pair of jeans she could have pulled on and a sweater?  She didn't have a single pair of clean slacks somewhere in that treasure trove of a closet that she could have paired with a plain white T-shirt and one of her many blazers?

That was one of the things that bugged me about season one.  In no woman's closet, particularly someone like Lorelei, would that ghastly outfit be the only thing to wear.

As an aside, Mini Persnickety and I have a hoot over seeing so many of Lorelei's accessories that I had in my closet circa 2000-2005, such as a multitude of the purses she carries and some of her jewelry pieces.  Since we never saw the show until it started showing on Netflix, I had no idea I was sporting a Gilmore piece at the time.  

As a knitter myself, though, I do enjoy seeing the various scarves, hats, afghans on the backs of the couches, etc. Not that I necessarily like them all, but I find that those handmade-looking touches added some authenticity to the small town atmosphere of Stars Hollow.  Well, except for the fact it was painfully obvious during the Knit-A-Thon episode that over half of that cast had no idea how to even hold a pair of knitting needles, much less how to knit.

I should point out that I adore this show so much that I purchased the entire series on DVD and can randomly grab any season and know I'll enjoy it.

Well, except the episodes that include April.  I detested that kid but that's a whole 'nother rant.  

• Love 4
This was just the first of many horrible clothing choices by Lorelai.

I agree. In hindsight, many of Lorelai's season one outfits don't look very good. As someone who was a teenager growing up when the show first aired, though, I will say that a lot of what Lorelai was wearing was very fashionable circa 2000-2001.

Edited by vanillamountain
  • Love 1

I thought Rory's early season outfits could be ugly sometimes. They're more realistic then her later designer wardrobe, but some of them were just plain unflattering, and I couldn't imagine why she'd wear them.

I think near the beginning, Rory's "ugly" outfits (especially that muumuu) might have been done because they were establishing how polar opposite the Gilmores could be. Rory is responsible, Lorelai is impulsive. Lorelai is an extrovert, Rory is an introvert. Lorelai is stylish, so Rory is not.

What, there was a muumuu?

Also, I think they were trying to establish the basic serious, non-frivolous character that was Rory in the early years. And what is the quickest way to do that? Have her show a limited interest in clothes.

And speaking of Rory's unflattering clothes, what was with the formal that Lorelai whipped up for her? The idea of it was quite charming but the reality, not so much. Especially from one who was an accomplished seamstress. Frankly, it looked like something I might have made - and I failed sewing two years running.

Yup, in the pilot.

LORELAI: What's with the muumuu? [gestures to Rory's baggy sweater.]

RORY: Stop.

LORELAI: No, I'm just saying, you couldn't find one made of metal in case anyone has X-ray eyes?

RORY: And now we say goodbye.

Aw shucks, I thought there was a real muumuu.

I just had a thought. What precisely was Emily wearing when she abdicated her family responsibilities after Trix  died?

Edited by dustylil
What precisely was Emily wearing when she abdicated her family responsibilities after Trix  died?

Do you mean the suit jacket with the raggedy edges that looked like it was made out of a blanket?  Or the robe? (Classic line from Lorelai to Jason:  "Apparently we're a robe family now",)

Yes, Rory did have some ill fitting clothes early on.  Her jeans were not remotely good (esp in comparison to Lorelai who looked great in her jeans).  They were always baggy in an odd way, and just in general she didn't look like she had much of anything good.

Then she goes to Yale and suddenly has this great wardrobe...i was never sure when she had the time or money to make such a drastic change.  

Richard and Emily were bankrolling Yale at that time (although ostensibly as a loan). Just as Emily wanted her suite in residence suitably furnished, she likely had a similar view regarding Rory's wardrobe.

I mentioned that a while back in...one of these threads, how most of what Lorelai points out in that shopping trip is not appropriate to Rory and in fact, the pen set may have been more fitting. But I don't think ASP wanted us to think that.

• Love 1

Richard and Emily were bankrolling Yale at that time (although ostensibly as a loan). Just as Emily wanted her suite in residence suitably furnished, she likely had a similar view regarding Rory's wardrobe.

I wish they had said something about that then. I mean, they made a whole thing out of Emily outfitting Rory's dorm with the furniture and TV and all, they couldn't have Rory add, "And you didn't have to buy me all the designer clothes either!"

Because I'll never forget the time Rory was scrabbling around for change to buy a cup of coffee while wearing a Marc Jacobs skirt. 

I mentioned that a while back in...one of these threads, how most of what Lorelai points out in that shopping trip is not appropriate to Rory and in fact, the pen set may have been more fitting. But I don't think ASP wanted us to think that.

I thought Emily had some lovely ideas for a milestone birthday for a teen girl.  A pearl necklace would have been a very nice gift, slightly extravagant, but so was the party! The only granddaughter of a wealthy couple receiving a pearl necklace isn't out of the question.  Certainly less so than having a planetarium named after her.

I took a screenshot of this dress Lorelai wore to work after her big fight with Chris, but I can't seem to paste it. I can't pinpoint exactly what is wrong with it but it's ill-fitting and unflattering. Black dress, elbow length sleeves, v-neck with floral trim around the neck and down to the hem.

Edited by timimouse

This one?  I don't like the floral trim, for sure.  It would be pretty just on the skirt portion, but it looks strange and out-of-place at the top.

GG714-00378.jpg

THAT'S THE ONE! In theory it shouldn't be that bad but it looked so wrong.

Also, I think they were trying to establish the basic serious, non-frivolous character that was Rory in the early years. And what is the quickest way to do that? Have her show a limited interest in clothes.

And speaking of Rory's unflattering clothes, what was with the formal that Lorelai whipped up for her? The idea of it was quite charming but the reality, not so much. Especially from one who was an accomplished seamstress. Frankly, it looked like something I might have made - and I failed sewing two years running.

Boy, do I agree with you on this point.

I was expecting something really cute and instead...Well, we got what we got.

And poor Alexis/Rory.  That beautiful child was cursed with such horrid posture and I felt like that dress just accentuated it.  It almost made it look as if her head and neck were disjointed.

Just a poor choice, IMO, all the way around, between looking like it was made from cheap fabric to the way it accentuated Rory's tragically awful posture, it was just a huge "miss" for me.

There was another episode later in the series when Lorelai mentioned she could make a dress for Rory for some occasion.

I remember sitting there and saying to the TV (because I'm weird that way), "No, no, please don't, Lorelai...Stick to making costumes!"   

I also thought the dresses Lorelai designed and sewed for Sookie's wedding were not flattering, particularly hers.  I think she thought she was more talented in this regard than she actually was.

I also thought the dresses Lorelai designed and sewed for Sookie's wedding were not flattering, particularly hers.  I think she thought she was more talented in this regard than she actually was.

Heh.  Agreed.  Rory's wasn't terrible, but the way it bunches up in the front is kind of weird and unflattering.

GG222-01046.jpg

But Lorelai's dress?

GG222-01063.jpg

GG222-01074.jpg

GG222-01172.jpg

No.  Just, no.  I especially hate the way it looks so sloppy in that last pic with the strap falling down.

• Love 1

I have some talented home seamstresses in my acquaintanceship - even going back as far as high school - and never did their dresses look like they had been run up by loving hands at home.  They were properly fitted and suited to the colouring and dimensions of the wearers. Unlike those schmattas of Lorelai and Rory.

If we had not been informed of Lorelai's dress-making skills, I likely would have winced and forgotten about those dresses. But we were told. I had rather expected her proficiency to be comparable to that of Luke's wood working.

• Love 1