Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: New World Order / S05.E15: Power

MarkHB

New World Order:

Dwight struggles to maintain order when Duke's trouble wreaks havoc around town; at the same time, Audrey and Charlotte work together to drive away a mysterious fog that has everyone trapped in Haven.

Power:

Desperate conditions in Haven lead to a terrified population that's difficult for Dwight to maintain control over. At the same time, Nathan assembles a task force to restore power to the town, and Audrey tries to put an end to the trouble once and for all.

Note to Future Generations: Season 5 of Haven was filmed as 26 episodes; episodes 1-13 ran in the fall of 2014, and episodes 14-26 aired in the fall of 2015.

Wow, I can't believe no one has posted yet.

I thought both eps were good, especially the first one. It's so nice to have Audrey back. And not an overly love-sick, mopey Audrey too. It's been awhile since I've really enjoyed Haven. I wasn't crazy about last season or the previous one although I did like Duke's

love interest in that season, I forget her name now. I liked her and Duke together.

Also, sad to see Duke leave town, but at least we're seeing what he's up to when he's not in Haven.

Will comment more later on.

I was stunned at the number of loose ends they brought up in these episodes:

• The ugly truth about The Barn and the "kill the one she loves" prophecy
  • Who, or what, apparently killed the Colorado Kid (seems like a different world from when they were talking about him on this show)
  • Where Nathan's ring came from

Also, did anyone else get a The Stand feel when the posse of 5 were trying to make their way to the power station?

• Love 2

I see Nathan's still stuck on his Audrey only obsession. That's stayed consistent. I can't believe a police officer has to be told to help other people all the time. He's always like "I can't leave you Audrey" and she's like "The town needs our help, go!" Then she gets mad at Charlotte for being the exact same way. Which makes more sense to me, she doesn't know these people, nor is it her job to help them. Nathan doesn't have that excuse, this is the third time he hasn't cared about the town or it's people that don't look like Audrey. I guess it's a good thing Haven doesn't appear to exist anymore, because Nathan's a terrible cop. 

Which is another reason I'm kind of upset that they took away Audrey's power. Now Nathan gets to be the action hero while Audrey stays at home. Hopefully that doesn't last long. I also wish that Duke didn't leave, but I know he'll be back. 

Did anyone else think that editing was kind of choppy for these two episodes? It seemed like we saw once scene then the next scene would be completely different with no transition to explain it. Like the scene where Dwight and Nathan were talking about going to the power plant, then the next scene Nathan was standing next to Audrey with everyone in the gym waiting for Dwight. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

I kind of like that they've flipped things around a bit. Audrey's still immune to Original Recipe Troubles. It's just the new ones she's not immune to, and the trick may be figuring out which one is which. Then there's Duke's immunity to the new ones but not the old ones. Post-apocalyptic Haven, with Troubles Alley and the like, is potentially interesting. I wonder if the move out of the police station has anything to do with them shooting this season straight through rather than stopping in late summer/early fall like they have been doing. They lose their studio space when hockey season starts, so they may not have had access to their standing sets anymore.

It was fun to see Duke in Halifax. So Nova Scotia finally got to actually play itself, though I suspect that there was just some second unit shooting to get the establishing shot, and the stuff in the garage was probably shot in their usual venues.

I have this feeling that Dwight's dictatorship, running the entire town and the Guard and disbanding the police force, is going to come back and bite him in the ass.

Yay, we finally got an explanation for the rings, but we still don't know for sure how the Chief ended up with Mara's father's ring. Nathan's assuming it was from Lucy, but was it? And I suppose that if Howard told Audrey that she could end the Troubles by killing Nathan without telling her how that really worked, he kind of counted as evil.

• Love 2

So, is Haven actually Storybrooke and the outside world has never known about or seen it or is this some new trouble that has erased all traces of it from records and memories? I think too much retconning is required for the first to be the case. While the purpose of Haven to protect the Troubled would benefit from their haven being invisible, why would non-Troubled live there? And haven't we regularly seen outsiders show up and come on in? So I lean strongly toward the latter explanation.

• Love 1

I've lost track of so many plot threads it probably made the episodes more confusing than they should have been. Wasn't Nathan chief of police after his father died? I forget why Dwight was made chief. But yeah. I don't trust The Guard, either.

The show has always required a deep suspension of belief, but the inconsistencies were rubbing my nerves for some reason. A town of 25K and only a small percentage know about the troubles, even with all the shit that goes down? Sewer gas explosion notwithstanding. And why were only some people at the school? Where were the other 24,975? Why was the darkness killing people, again? The police department sure had a lot of extra officers all of a sudden. The writing just didn't seem very tight or well thought out and yes, choppy editing. Two hours may have been overload at this point.

The chick who wandered into the car repair place looking for Duke and was suddenly promised $31K didn't seem very grateful or surprised. And even for TV, the boss was doing a lot of talking and wavering while he was pointing the gun at Duke explaining how he was about to kill him.

I did appreciate that Haven has been wiped from the outside world's memory, or else surely help would have been forthcoming.

• Love 3
So, is Haven actually Storybrooke and the outside world has never known about or seen it or is this some new trouble that has erased all traces of it from records and memories?

It's got to be a new Trouble doing this because too many people have managed to come and go over the course of the series. Just last season, Vince and Dave went to North Carolina and interacted with people who had been to Haven, and they were making phone calls back and forth.

But I did go to the Storybrooke place. There are so many freaky similarities between the two shows.

I forget why Dwight was made chief.

He became chief between seasons 3 and 4 when Nathan fled the town (more evidence that the non-existence to the outside world is new) after blowing up the Barn.

And boy, I bet the Guard is glad that they weren't able to force Audrey to kill Nathan. They'd all be toast now.

If the no-marks killer is killing to make Trouble effects permanent, I wonder why he killed the Colorado Kid. If he inherited his father's Trouble, he'd just be numb without affecting anyone else, so there's no point in making it permanent. Was it about his mother? Or was he considered some kind of abomination for having mixed blood? I guess Max Hansen is off the hook and didn't unknowingly murder his own grandson.

• Love 1

Liked the first episode much more than the second, but the big reveals still fell flat. What exactly was the point of Charlotte's punishment? If she had just killed all the people Mara troubled back when she did it, surely it would have been more humane than to wait for them to reproduce and then kill them. The question of why Audrey had to kill the one she loved is still not fully answered, and surely if Audrey's power in the barn could keep the troubles at bay for 27 years there must be a way to extend that time period or make it permanent. Mara did allude to the aether thing in season 5a and I think ultimately Audrey has to manipulate the aether for good since Mara said it can be used to build or destroy.

The patchy way the second episode started, I almost expected them to show that Haven as a different one with all identical characters.

I am still getting strong parallels with the storm of the century, especially when they started with the croatoan thing. I'm expecting William Shatner to show up as the guy who says he can cure Haven of the Troubles but will require a sacrifice or something and since people are already panicking , they will be willing to do anything. I do hope the whole season won't be this post apocalyptic thing, could get very old very quickly. I prefer to see Audrey out and about rather than confined for no real reason and taking orders from Dwight?

• Love 2

First thought - too much Nathan, too little Duke.

If this new girl is a love interest for Duke - he got robbed

Liked the fact that the fog kept people in Haven and erased its existence in the outside world.

Since Shatner has said he shows up toward the end of the season looks like a lot of apocalypse ahead of us

First episode wayyyyyyy superior to second. Second bored me a bit (most likely 'cause too much Nathan)

• Love 3

Shatner will, I think, turn out to be Mara's dad. It would work nicely if he was also the serial killer but I don't think Big Bill would take such a role. Perhaps he has the missing info to end the troubles.

I am not happy that we are essentially dealing with an Under the Dome situation here.

• Love 2
I prefer to see Audrey out and about rather than confined for no real reason and taking orders from Dwight?

I have a feeling that before long, Audrey will be at odds with Dwight. As soon as they realized Dwight was disbanding the police department, Audrey looked at the chief's badge Dwight dropped and Nathan picked up and told Nathan he had his first recruit, so she's thinking in terms of her and Nathan being the police department, regardless of what Dwight said, and she's not at all happy with the way Dwight is handling things with the "banishment." She was ready to take him on if the situation hadn't been so immediately dire, and then when she found the body that Dwight was lying about still being a missing person.

So, yeah, we're about to have an Audrey vs. Dwight situation. Wonder which side Mom will be on?

• Love 1

The show has always required a deep suspension of belief, but the inconsistencies were rubbing my nerves for some reason. A town of 25K and only a small percentage know about the troubles, even with all the shit that goes down? Sewer gas explosion notwithstanding. And why were only some people at the school? Where were the other 24,975? Why was the darkness killing people, again? The police department sure had a lot of extra officers all of a sudden.

The size of the town has always bothered me. In first season, it was a very small town of 10,00 with only about three police. Audrey made four. Then I guess they decided the death toll was too high for such a small town and they didn't have enough characters. Suddenly the town's population doubled and the police force did too. But in this episode, I was sitting there wondering where the hell all these extra police came from. I've long been frustrated by this show's tendency to just have random new characters show up and the main's treat them like they've been there all along.

I was stunned at the number of loose ends they brought up in these episodes:

• The ugly truth about The Barn and the "kill the one she loves" prophecy
  • Who, or what, apparently killed the Colorado Kid (seems like a different world from when they were talking about him on this show)
  • Where Nathan's ring came from

Hey, remember how this whole thing was supposed to be about who murdered the Colorado Kid? Remember that? They actually mentioned it this episode! Wow!

As for Nathan's ring - I'm still annoyed these magic rings we've never seen nor heard of before suddenly popped up last season. Didn't they plan this at all?

Did anyone else think that editing was kind of choppy for these two episodes?

Yes, they tried to cover far too much ground and far too much time over the two episodes. And I'm not entirely sure the whole thing made much sense. I mean, as much as any of this has made any sense after season 1

I too was disappointed to see Audrey essentially benched but I've given up on this show remembering who its hero is supposed to be. They've treated her like a MacGuffin since season 3.

• Love 4
Liked the fact that the fog kept people in Haven and erased its existence in the outside world.

It was an interesting twist that the guy who caused it died and now Audrey and Nathan have to figure out a way to disable it rather than simply talking to the Troubled person. That could have been the initial focus instead of 10 scattered subplots. And if we're triaging, I'd also prioritize figuring out who/what is causing darkness to shred people down to their damned bones.

Whoever all the extra police were, they were hella incompetent. Don't feed the grem ... er ... don't draw your sidearms, don't use force, be calm. But noooo.

Is it wrong that I still miss Dr. Carr? I like Gloria fine except she's maybe pushing the "tough old broad" thing a little hard.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1
As for Nathan's ring - I'm still annoyed these magic rings we've never seen nor heard of before suddenly popped up last season. Didn't they plan this at all?

Nathan's ring goes back to the season 2 premiere -- he found it among the rubble when he was burying the box of Chief rocks and has been wearing it around his neck ever since. Any time there's been an open collar shot, that chain or the ring has shown. It hasn't been mentioned, but it's been there all along. Vince gave Audrey Sarah's ring, which turned out to be Mara's ring, in the season 2 finale. We've been speculating about those rings ever since then and wondering if they were linked, so they didn't suddenly pop up. We're just finally getting an explanation after they've been part of the background.

• Love 4

was stunned at the number of loose ends they brought up in these episodes:

The ugly truth about The Barn and the "kill the one she loves" prophecy

Who, or what, apparently killed the Colorado Kid (seems like a different world from when they were talking about him on this show)

Where Nathan's ring came from

Also that Dave is a 'halfling' half human, half whatever Charlotte and Audrey are. So was the Colorado Kid. So was Jennifer we can assume.

• Love 2

According to his birth certificate Dave's mother's name was Sarah Smith (5.5), his father is unknown. According to his adoption papers (5.4) his middle name is James after his adoptive father, which brings up all sorts of questions.

• Love 1

I guess the Halflings age normally and didn't get the special slow aging powers. Charlotte said she was 2000 of our years. Which makes me wonder how they count their years? I'm actually more interested in seeing this other world, over more Nathan clinging to Audrey like she's glue.

Ugh. I could not get over the mob-mentality stupidity of the Haven PD for reasons of PLOT. It was just so completely stupid. Utterly stupid. Stupidly stupid. 

At least Nathan's characterization remained the same, single-minded near stalker boyfriend from whom Audrey should run the fuck away. Nathan just sucks in so so so many ways. I can only hope he gets the martyr death soon.

This episode made me miss Jordan of all people. I fucking hated Jordan. 

• Love 4

I haven't watched the second episode yet (so I'm avoiding most of the comments) but so far I like the new world order. I really liked learning the true nature of the barn, and the true result of what would happen if Mara/whatever version had indeed killed the one she loved most.

I don't like Duke taking all the blame on his shoulders - when it was Mara who made him a time bomb (though I'll admit to not remembering the last part of the season particularly well). Seems like his friends could have said that to him.

I liked Dwight taking control with the Guard - even though the visual of the guard driving up in their custom vans (since when did they advertise?) was both hopeful and worrisome (to me, anyway).

As always, Gloria is the best thing on the screen when she has a scene.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

At least Nathan's characterization remained the same, single-minded near stalker boyfriend from whom Audrey should run the fuck away. Nathan just sucks in so so so many ways. I can only hope he gets the martyr death soon. 

Nathan is now a murderer.  There was NO reason to go into the darkness at that time.  The aether wasn't going to run away.  He could have brought a lardge team to go through Trouble Alley with a megawatt lamp to take down the ladder.  Or, since he had to do it Right This Minute, send Kira back and be stupid alone. Nope.. he exposed her to The Darkness and got her killed.

Speaking of Trouble Alley -- how dumb was that?  One invisible creature with claws????   If Charlotte and Dave made it back through on their own, hoe bad could it be?  That whole plot made no sense and was there mostly to give Nathan ManPain.  Ugh.

• Love 3

Well it’s nice to have the show back.  I liked what they’ve done so far, it’ll be interesting to see where we go from here.  I’m so glad we have our Audrey back and am enjoying her relationship with Charlotte.  I can’t help but wonder why all of the Audrey’s were so compassionate and yet they keep portraying the original “species” for lack of a better word, as less than honorable on so many fronts.

I love Nathan so don’t see him as stalkery or any such thing.  He said he didn’t want to leave Audrey once, then moved on.  In fact they really didn’t work together all that much.   I have a feeling there is a lot more to Kira dying than we know at this time, but maybe not.

I like Duke, but boy does he do the man-pain thing to the hilt.  Jeez did we have to hear how many times that this was his fault.  Quit being the martyr and try to help, don’t run away. 

Glad we got some answers, but I’m not really satisfied yet.  We really didn’t get any substantive info on the Barn and how it worked and what in the world Howard was.

Why are people assuming that a shocking event that happened near the end of an episode and was deliberately not shown to the audience happened exactly the way the only witness is telling it? Is this not the oldest trope in the book?

• Love 5

Thanks Tabbyclaw, I assumed he was lying and that she chose not to come back for some reason. But when I got on here everyone kept acting like she was dead and it was Nathan's fault. I thought I must have missed a scene.

Edited by AudienceofOne
  • Love 1
I like Duke, but boy does he do the man-pain thing to the hilt.  Jeez did we have to hear how many times that this was his fault.  Quit being the martyr and try to help, don’t run away.

That was frustrating me, too. The damage was already done (and it was Mara's fault, not Duke's). Now he's the one immune to the new Troubles, so they need his help. Running is doing the opposite of good. He's not helping anyone by being out of the way.

The size of the town has always bothered me. In first season, it was a very small town of 10,00 with only about three police. Audrey made four. Then I guess they decided the death toll was too high for such a small town and they didn't have enough characters. Suddenly the town's population doubled and the police force did too.

I don't think they ever gave a size of the town before the Christmas episode after season two when we saw the population of around 27,000 on the city limits sign and when they were talking about how many people were supposed to be there as the population kept shrinking. We'd just assumed it was smaller, from the way they talked about the place and from general impressions of what a small town in Maine would be. There were always more than about four police. Audrey and Nathan were the only detectives, but the station has always had a lot of extras around, and there were always multiple cops at crime scenes. It's just that only Stan and more recently Rebecca got lines, along with whichever cop was going to die horribly that episode (I guess on this show they're blueshirts, not redshirts). The Christmas episode also showed a group photo of the police department, with several rows of cops (until they started vanishing). It's possible that Dwight hired more people during his tenure. And in this episode they were all-hands-on-deck, so we saw them all at work when otherwise they might be working different shifts, on patrol, etc.

And there's no way that the town has always not really existed. That's definitely new with the Trouble because people have left quite often. Chris Brody went to the conference in London. Audrey and Duke went to Colorado, and Audrey talked to Nathan on the phone while she was gone. Duke landed in Boston, met Jennifer there, and found Nathan outside town. During that time, he was able to make phone calls to Dave and to the police department. The doctors in Boston were able to contact Haven (they just couldn't reach Nathan). The Darkside Seeker guys came to town and left. Audrey and Nathan went to other nearby towns to track down leads on cases. Vince and Dave went to North Carolina last season, made phone calls to Haven, and talked to other people who knew about Haven and made phone calls to Haven. Max Hansen came back to Haven after getting out of Shawshank. Julia Carr came back to Haven from Africa, then went back to Africa. That's way too much to explain away if the town has always existed in a bubble.

Now, when someone tries to leave, they seem to turn around and come right back, which hasn't happened before. Not being able to make phone calls to Haven is new. People outside never having heard of the place is new.

• Love 2

There was also the French girl from S1 who had gone off to Portland and come back (which I remember because it might have been the only mention of Portland ever on this show :).

There was also the French girl from S1 who had gone off to Portland and come back (which I remember because it might have been the only mention of Portland ever on this show :).

Actually, the French girl went to Quebec -- that was Nathan's almost, sort-of girlfriend, who came there from Quebec when she inherited her grandmother's house, and then left when the Troubles were too weird for her.

Then it was season two when there was the girl with the fear Trouble who went to Portland and came back when she thought she was cured. Come to think of it, there was also Real!Audrey, and then her boyfriend the doctor who came to get her when her memory was wiped.

Vince and Dave also left to go identify the body they were afraid might be Audrey's, and Vince left town to put pressure on the Troubled guy in the state government so they could get info on Charlotte last season. And Tommy the cop came to town from Boston, tracking a killer who originated in Haven and had killed in Boston.

So, yeah, way too much evidence that the current isolation is new and different.

• Love 1

Why are people assuming that a shocking event that happened near the end of an episode and was deliberately not shown to the audience happened exactly the way the only witness is telling it? Is this not the oldest trope in the book?

I think it became quite obvious once Kira talked about dreading to go to Venice with her fiance, maybe he is abusive or controlling and she just decided to leave him and is hiding out somewhere else in Haven.

Wouldn't even be surprised if the boyfriend turns out to be the one  with the darkness trouble.

• Love 1

Thanks Tabbyclaw, I assumed he was lying and that she chose not to come back for some reason. But when I got on here everyone kept acting like she was dead and it was Nathan's fault. I thought I must have missed a scene.

I took Nathan at his word since we saw him put Kira at risk for no good reason.  She was asking him to go back to the plant, but he was too stubborn to leave the dark.  He'd already killed the engineer by going through the block-long Trouble Alley instead taking 5 minutes to go around it (I noticed that as soon as the attac k started, everyone, including brave, brave Sir Nathan, boldly ran away rather than see if they could save him).

It's a bigger leap to think that Kira wanted to be abandoned in the worst part of Haven rather than tell her fiance, off to one side of a room of people that she didn't want to go to Venice with him as opposed to Nathan continuing his quest regardless of who he hurt.

• Love 3

Kira? So bland I forgot her already. Honestly, Nathan doesn't need to needlessly let people die to suck. He sucks enough without it. Kira alive and hiding, Kira dead. *yawn* Doesn't change my opinion of Nathan, and he's the one who is supposed to matter.

I am intrigued by Charlotte, just because she obviously knows more than she is saying.

I generally adore Dwight, but they stuck him in the stupid plot of people acting stupid for PLOT which I found endlessly frustrating.

Just a quick...hmmm...when people died before, their troubles died with them. I mean, the dude who was convinced of the alien attack who climbed into the spaceship? When he did that, the trouble stopped happening. When the chief was cracking earth and he died, earth cracking stopped. So why does cloud bubble guy's death leave cloud bubble happening? Or did I miss something? I might have missed something, I was pretty ambivalent.

Edited by BlackberryJam
Just a quick...hmmm...when people died before, their troubles died with them. I mean, the dude who was convinced of the alien attack who climbed into the spaceship? When he did that, the trouble stopped happening. When the chief was cracking earth and he died, earth cracking stopped. So why does cloud bubble guy's death leave cloud bubble happening? Or did I miss something?

That was actually a fairly major plot point that seems to be part of this arc. This is new and unusual for a Trouble not to die with the Troubled person, and it seems like this serial killer they have in their midst (the one who's making deaths that look a lot like the Colorado Kid's death -- no marks, no obvious sign of the cause of death) is killing people so that their Troubles will remain permanent, like the fog cutting them off from the world. He kills them before they can be talked down. That's why Nathan was so desperate to find the aether Charlotte needs to end the Troubles. That may be the only way of ending Troubles like the fog or anything else made permanent by the deaths. So, yeah, maybe he's responsible for Kira's death, but if he hadn't tried to get the aether when he thought he'd found it, would he have been responsible for any deaths that happened because they hadn't ended the Troubles?

I'm a little late to the party, and I still haven't gotten to watch 5.15 yet, but here are my random thoughts on 5.14...

Favorite moment of the episode had to be Nathan's bear hug of Duke in the PD office, and Duke's reaction. I swear, the Duke/Nathan friendship (I hate the term bromance) is the true heart of the show, lol.

The size of the town has always bothered me. In first season, it was a very small town of 10,00 with only about three police. Audrey made four. Then I guess they decided the death toll was too high for such a small town and they didn't have enough characters. Suddenly the town's population doubled and the police force did too. But in this episode, I was sitting there wondering where the hell all these extra police came from. I've long been frustrated by this show's tendency to just have random new characters show up and the main's treat them like they've been there all along.

Hey, remember how this whole thing was supposed to be about who murdered the Colorado Kid? Remember that? They actually mentioned it this episode! Wow!

Yes, they tried to cover far too much ground and far too much time over the two episodes. And I'm not entirely sure the whole thing made much sense. I mean, as much as any of this has made any sense after season 1

I too was disappointed to see Audrey essentially benched but I've given up on this show remembering who its hero is supposed to be. They've treated her like a MacGuffin since season 3.

Yeah, I can suspend my disbelief on a lot of things, especially when it comes to this show, but the vast majority of the town being clueless about the Troubles? Sorry, show, not buying it. Having the masses of Haven *just now* finding out about the Troubles throws me out of the episode in a big way, so I really hope it joins the ranks of dropped story threads very soon.

The Colorado Kid! I remember him. Nice to see the show does, too.

Magic rings that guide them safely through the Void make me immediately think of The Magician's Nephew. So does that mean Mara, Charlotte, etc, are from Narnia? Nah, probably from one of the other pools in the Wood Between the World. They'd better watch out for the White Witch and Uncle Andrew!

Totally agreed that Audrey has been little more than a plot point since season 3, which was also when I stopped expecting the show to make any sense. Now I mostly watch for the pretty. By which I mean Nova Scotia and EB.

I'd love it if Mara's dad sired Dave and so he and Audrey are siblings!

Didn't Dave have the hots for Sarah back in the 50s? That would cross the creepy line, even for Haven.

I don't like Duke taking all the blame on his shoulders - when it was Mara who made him a time bomb (though I'll admit to not remembering the last part of the season particularly well). Seems like his friends could have said that to him.

As always, Gloria is the best thing on the screen when she has a scene.

I know, considering most of season 5A was spent reiterating the "Mara is evil" theme, I'm rather shocked that no one bothered to correct Duke that Mara is the one to blame here. Duke was merely her delivery system. Then again Nathan and Audrey, IMO, have frequently been crappy friends to Duke, always taking but doing very little giving back, so I guess this shouldn't really come as a surprise. Hopefully he'll come back soon - we know he can't stay away for long!

And Gloria is awesome. Loved her comment about the corpses not minding sharing the freezers with the tequila, and her jibe to Dave about being a lightweight.

Well, even though you might not know it from my post, I am glad this show is back. Best to enjoy it while we can!

• Love 4

I don't remember which season it was, one of the earlier ones, I think, Vince said that he and Dave are older than they look. I'd always hoped we'd get back to that & get more enlightenment on Vince & Dave and what they know. Although we did find out that Vince is/was in charge of the Guard I don't remember much more insight into the 2 brothers. Yes, the money & how they own half the town and Dave's mixed heritage. I was expecting/hoping for more.

I'd love to see them do something with the chunks of the Chief. I was hoping when Nathan spent so much time staring at Dwight's discarded badge.