Type keyword(s) to search

S31: Joe Anglim

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I am certain that Joe will be back within 4 seasons. I can see him returning multiple times until he wins. He is very, very good at the unlearnable parts of the game.

Rob Cesternino says the strategy is the easiest part to learn. Stephen Fishbach will never learn to be the challenge threat or puzzle master or surviving expert like Joe. But Joe can learn to be strategic.

I suspect the Survivor franchise is latching onto Joe as its newest hero. Who knows maybe he can learn from Tyson , who came back to win after playing more poorly than Joe.

My guess is Joe will wind up doing The Amazing Race, if he doesn't do Survivor again first.  I 100% believe he'll be back on Survivor, but we know TAR loves cross over contestants, and he's expressed interest in doing the show.  He's one of the more popular contestants to come off Survivor in awhile.  I think his strategy was better this season, but I really believe his problem was Savage.  Maybe I'm doubting Savage too much, but I believe he was too dead set on staying 'Bayon Strong' and sticking with the broalliance over siding with the likes of Kass/Ciera/Kelley/Abi (3 of whom had just blindsided him in the previous vote).  Of course I might be completely wrong, and getting rid of Stephen then might have tanked Joe's game earlier.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Teenage girls and Stephen Fishbach.

I'm sure that's what also Dan felt at that moment when he was asked about Shirin and said that "someone should slap her and shut her up", but because he isn't Joey Amazing and/or Golden Boy, all the internet police in the world jumped all over it.

I guess I'm just sensitive to things phrased like that, seeing as Abi has been unfairly cyberbullied throughout the season. Whether she played the villain or not, no one deserves to get punched in the face, even as a joke, especially by someone who Abi is certainly no match for. I'm sure there's lots of contestants where there's been no love lost between them (Kass/Tasha, Varner/Tasha, Savage/Ciera/Kass, etc.) but no one has mentioned about feeling like physically hurting someone until now.

I think you have to consider the source and the context in these things.  Dan said it angrily with a straight face, and had been shown being pretty rude to women previously.  "Someone should slap her" said in all seriousness at the camera is pretty blatant.  I'm assuming Joe said his thing jokingly in a phone exit interview.  I didn't hear that comment but on RHAP he was clearly not angry at Abi or insulting her.  He was laughing at her ludicrous reactions to things.  

Where did Joe say that, anyway?  And where did Stephen say Joe was the best player ever?  It's not important, just if you happen to recall off the top of your head.

ETA:  I found Joe's, it was in a phone interview with Parvati for ET Canada.  It was a little different from what you wrote:

Q: After tribal council, how did you feel?

A: I want to punch Abi in the face, and push Spencer off a cliff.

The question was "Who do you hate more - Abi or Spencer?" (in the context of getting voted out, and Parv was laughing asking).  He was laughing when he said the reply.  To me it was clearly a joke, as in ludicrous hyperbole.  I know it's not something some people can laugh at, though.  

I thought the more potentially offensive thing in that interview was his compliment to Keith that he has some crazy "old man strength".  But I know that's how young people talk amongst themselves.  It was just funny he said it in an interview.

Edited by Guest

I've never seen Joe really talk bad about anybody.  

Well, he just sort of did, didn't he? I don't care either way, anyway, since I'm not a fan of him. I'm just disappointed. I expected that from "raw and honest" Savage, not from Joe Yoga. 

I am certain that Joe will be back within 4 seasons. I can see him returning multiple times until he wins. He is very, very good at the unlearnable parts of the game.

Rob Cesternino says the strategy is the easiest part to learn. Stephen Fishbach will never learn to be the challenge threat or puzzle master or surviving expert like Joe. But Joe can learn to be strategic.

I suspect the Survivor franchise is latching onto Joe as its newest hero. Who knows maybe he can learn from Tyson , who came back to win after playing more poorly than Joe.

I think he should lay low for awhile and let others take the spotlight, so to speak, in order to take the heat off of him. If he joins immediately, he'll certainly be gone pre-merge. Go the way of Tyson, Gervase, etc., who stayed away for quite a bit and ended up going farther than they did the first few times, even winning the game in some cases. 

I think you have to consider the source and the context in these things.  Dan said it angrily with a straight face, and had been shown being pretty rude to women previously.  "Someone should slap her" said in all seriousness at the camera is pretty blatant.  I'm assuming Joe said his thing jokingly in a phone exit interview.  I didn't hear that comment but on RHAP he was clearly not angry at Abi or insulting her.  He was laughing at her ludicrous reactions to things.  

Where did Joe say that, anyway?  And where did Stephen say Joe was the best player ever?  It's not important, just if you happen to recall off the top of your head.

ETA:  I found Joe's, it was in a phone interview with Parvati for ET Canada.  It was a little different from what you wrote:

Q: After tribal council, how did you feel?

A: I want to punch Abi in the face, and push Spencer off a cliff.

The question was "Who do you hate more - Abi or Spencer?" (in the context of getting voted out, and Parv was laughing asking).  He was laughing when he said the reply.  To me it was clearly a joke, as in ludicrous hyperbole.  I know it's not something some people can laugh at, though.  

I thought the more potentially offensive thing in that interview was his compliment to Keith that he has some crazy "old man strength".  But I know that's how young people talk amongst themselves.  It was just funny he said it in an interview.

Yeah, I got the question wrong, but I guess it was close. I know it's a joke, and I've acknowledged that much in my original post. I'm just not comfortable with a punching a woman joke, at any time, in any context. And I certainly didn't expect it from someone apparently as laidback as Joe. Even Parvati and her co-host were like "Whoooooaaaaaaaa" after he answered. I thought it suddenly got uncomfortable, especially as one of the hosts is a woman, but they just moved on. If it were bros asking him, maybe it would be ok, I guess? I dunno. There's lots of ways to express your disappointment and/or anger and he went there. But like I said, I'm not a fan anyway, just disappointed. I'm sure he'll be back in the limelight soon. Probst is just too in love with him for Joe to go away forever.

Regarding Stephen saying Joe is the best player, or maybe one of the best - it's on his People blog about Joe's elimination.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1
Joe may in fact be the best all-around challenge competitor in the show's history.

This is all I see from Stephen on that.  I think that's way different from saying Joe's one of the best players, much less the best player ever.  

I don't think punching a woman is any more shocking than throwing a man off a cliff.  Or that he meant either even remotely in a literal sense.  

I was reading Inside Survivors 'what you didn't see' from this past episode, and apparently during the family visit, Joe's dad was trying to strategize on his behalf to get people to keep him around (also telling the men of the tribe about the girls alliance).  So I guess this was an unofficial audition for BvsW 3.  Which is why if I brought a loved one out on this show, if I thought they'd do something like to try and 'help' me, I'd bring someone way more intimidating if I wanted it to work.  In addition, Keith apparently almost blacked out from that challenge, too.  After Joe went down, Keith collapsed right after, and had to have an umbrella and be re-hydrated.  So now it makes sense why Joe was trying to make the challenge harder.  A few more seconds and he might have won.  I guess we'll be seeing this challenge in the future.

http://my.xfinity.com/blogs/tv/2015/12/03/survivor-castaway-joe-the-fans-didn%E2%80%99t-vote-me-back-to-not-compete/

Here's another exit interview.  He touches on his relationship with Wentworth.  It sounded like he was on board working with her, Ciera, and Kass at the merge, and that he had Keith on board.  This went along with what Kass said in some of her exit interviews, that had she had a chance to talk to Joe she might have survived.  She said he also had Spencer with him, so that could have given them a majority.  He says Kass and Ciera played too hard and basically ostracized themselves from the group, so he went with the majority numbers since he had no choice.  He did tell Kelley to play her idol if she had one (not thinking she did) but didn't expect it to cost him Savage.  He said that they weren't the same after that vote.  I had said earlier this season that I thought Wentworth would end up causing his demise, even if I expected it in maybe more spectacular fashion.  But guess I wasn't too far off.

Edited by LadyChatts