Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E31: Chaos at Nationals

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

I think if the show continues and bdc continues to compete against Aldc with Ava as the soloist I think that issue will come up, even if when they announced it on this show I caught the moms giving each other a look... I think they are building up to the issue. I agree that she needs to move on from the revenge story line... We get it.

These two comments made me laugh out loud hahaha!!

As for this episode, I thought the waiting room dance was much more captivation than the Moving Target one, however it was a little sloppy.  Nia's costume was beyond horrific, but that's nothing new.  Nia having a bad costume is a card that's been played over and over so many times now that it's just not even interesting anymore.  Maddie's solo I found surprisingly boring, as well as her costume.  We've seen the same thing every time shes' performed. Yawn.  Maybe that's why she was second.

As for thoughts about next season, if Holly and Nia as well as Kira and Kalani don't pack up and go somewhere they'll get proper training, then they most be more money hungry and stupid than I ever thought.

You're right about the age categories, Tessa, but did anyone else see the call for auditions for new dancers for Season 6?  

SNIP_zpswidk69ao.png

Pretty sure that ad is just a sting operation for the local child protective services ;)

And add me to the list of people completely sick of Jeanette and her revenge. She has now brought up the things Abby has said about Ava and the other girls more than Abby has, and seems to love reminding them every week. And then gives Ava a solo. Every week. And her dances aren't any good. 

I enjoyed the other enemy dance studio from the other week. Their teacher seemed to genuinely care, even though she buys into the anti-ALDC attitude a bit too much.

Edited by DoctorWhovian
  • Love 2

Re Maddie most famous 12 yo. Did anyone see the Target back-to-school ad last night?  First face you see is Maddie!  Didn't recognize any of the other kids, but Maddie wasn't dancing from what I could tell (there were two other girls dancing).

Maddie's certainly being pimped out everywhere.  I sure hope she's putting money away for her inevitable rainy days....

It took me watching it a few times to realize it was Maddie. Her face was really bright and with her hair up that way, I didn't realize it was her. I did recognize Asia off the spot though. 

• Love 1

So many thoughts were running through my mind while watching this episode. I had to stop and rewind several times to make sure I was seeing/hearing stuff correctly. I'll try to be as cohesive and brief as possible, but this show is my guilty pleasure and I can be wordy. :)

1) Poor Kendall. She was so uncomfortable when Maddie was hugging Abby and crying about Abby's mom. She didn't know whether to laugh or cry so she kinda did both. It was strange to watch.

2) I'd never want my comments to come across as body-shaming, but Ava just doesn't have the look, imho, to pull off graceful dances. The only reason her mermaid dance won was because she truly didn't fit on her legs after she lost her mermaid tail to Ursula. Her movements were so jerky, clipped, and almost clumsy that I *have* to believe it was intentional. Surely she danced that way to show how awkward the mermaid was on her two feet for the 'first time' as a human. Otherwise . . . the judges were on crack and I've lost all faith in competitive dance. I really just want to take Ava out to eat and get her some ice cream cause she's a tiny little thing, too. And that costume highlighted how gangly and strangely she is built.

3) I thought 'The Waiting Room' was really beautiful. It showed how devastation, shock, and mourning can unite perfect strangers in that moment they're sharing --- when they are all reduced to sitting and waiting for news. They all become equals in that space --- their pain linking them. I interpreted the different styles of dress and blood to be something like a massive disaster/mass casualty event. Like, Nia was dressed as a doctor because someone she loved was injured while she was on duty. When she hugged Kalani --- she could have been delivering bad news or greeting a friend who came to support her. I've spent way too much time in waiting rooms so that could be why it resonated. I really did like it though.

4) I cannot believe they all walked out. If there was an issue with scoring they should have stayed afterwards to discuss it. Leaving the way they did was unbecoming and I can't imagine that teaching kids to be poor sports is going to be a great selling point for the new studio. 

5) Nia danced beautifully. She compensated for the music skipping so well that it looked seamless. I'm surprised that dancers don't get an automatic do-over if the music skips or starts early. It's not the dancer's fault.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
4) I cannot believe they all walked out. If there was an issue with scoring they should have stayed afterwards to discuss it. Leaving the way they did was unbecoming and I can't imagine that teaching kids to be poor sports is going to be a great selling point for the new studio. 

Of course when you think about it, who led the charge? Why it was Dame Melissa whose working IQ is less than her waist size and Abby, whose ego is the size of five states.  Somehow these women can't conceive that Maddie the wunderkind may actually not be the best dancer that God has ever created or that any ALDC group number should just be given the top award before the competition actually begins.  Whatever is staged or not staged, week after week these two trolls show exactly who they really are.

It was nice that Chloe got her award from Cat Deely and Jason Derulo.  It makes you wonder if any of the girls on the show would have a remote chance of appearing on SYTYCD (although I doubt that the show will be on air by then).

• Love 4

It was nice that Chloe got her award from Cat Deely and Jason Derulo.  It makes you wonder if any of the girls on the show would have a remote chance of appearing on SYTYCD (although I doubt that the show will be on air by then).

Kalani would likely be the only one who would have a small sliver of hope making it on SYTYCD. 

Kalani would likely be the only one who would have a small sliver of hope making it on SYTYCD. 

I agree but she would have get off the fame train and cram in a lot of serious multi-genre training in the next four years to get close to the level of the 18 year olds who make even the Vegas rounds let alone the Top 20.  I'm not sure that Kira would so readily give up the obsession with instant stardom.

The talent level on SYTYCD is just not that high anymore to be honest. Even the "stage" dancers are very generic with usually one or two standouts. Kalani is 15 this year, if the show sticks around for another three seasons she could easily make it at the level she is at right now.

Kalani would stand a chance right now if she were old enough, the camera absolutely loves her - which is a huge part of SYTYCD, it is not all about dance ability at all.  Because of the way they are taping these performances, she already has that down pat as well.  For dancers at this level it just takes six months of rudimentary ballroom classes, if she's been doing the conventions she's had some hip hop as well.  Chuckle from what we've seen of Club Dance solos, she might have to work at jazz and musical theatre a bit though ;).  (i'm teasing.)

Edited by NextIteration

The choreographer's cut episode cut out my favorite part of the entire episode- After Abby, Gia and the moms walk out Abby is seen pushing on a door saying, "how do you open this?" and then Gianna walks up to the door and pushes it open. I cracked up when I saw that last week.

• Love 2

The choreographer's cut episode cut out my favorite part of the entire episode- After Abby, Gia and the moms walk out Abby is seen pushing on a door saying, "how do you open this?" and then Gianna walks up to the door and pushes it open. I cracked up when I saw that last week.

I agree this was funny, but would like to point out it was a double door where one side was locked and the other was not. Abby happened to choose the locked side and Gianna pushed open the other side. I've been foiled by such a set up before, and I like to think I'm not a total idiot ;)