Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: White Justice

Who the hell is Phineas?  Is he the Mormon son working with the Swede?  That shows you how much I've been paying attention this season. 

At least the previews show Durant and Psalms so that's something to look forward to next week.  

So, is the Swede up to his old tricks again? Is he trying to take away the Mormon church leader's son away from him? He really has very serious psychological issues regarding relationships, love, etc... I would like to know his backstory and why he is like this. It seems like the story is less about Bohanon now. 

The stuff with the Chinese workers is at least marginally interesting, but it's a classic case of a show introducing a bunch of new characters in its final season and expecting us to care about them instead of wrapping stories up and moving toward a satisfying conclusion.

I have no idea what the Swede is plotting and scheming where Mormon leader junior is concerned and I really just don't even care. I'm sure it will end badly like every other bit of plotting we've seen.

• Love 4

I guess it went better than I expected, because as soon as the Irish decided to "avenge themselves" upon the Chinese, I assumed Mei returning to work would somehow cause she and/or her father to be their victim, so as to cause Bohannon more pain, since he is connected to them now. To inflict that upon the least likeable new character still drove the point about racism home, but with a little less impact. Still, I'd like Chang to exact a bit of frontier justice, because not being protected by the establishment is the very origin of the term.

At the rate we're going, I expect the Swede to outlive this series the way Saul did "Breaking Bad".

• Love 1

I can't always understand him either.  And for some reason, last night his grammar really started to bug even though it's not anything new.  We got the reveal two full seasons ago that he was a fairly educated cultured man, yet he persists with the folksy stuff even among people who are supposed to be his equals or superiors.  It's probably a sign of how bored I am with so much of this that I'm now getting around to fixating on it.

I am glad they left Mei and her father out of it, which I admit I was expecting too with all the preview/foreshadowing of "she's in danger."  With this show though that only ups the odds that it's coming later when Cullen has a firm emotional attachment to one or both AND can blame himself for letting her go back to work in the first place.

I will give the show credit for making the most powerful Chinese character we've seen the target of the disgruntled Irishmen's rage.  Chang so far has been a pretty unsympathetic character and clearly saw himself as being above all the prejudice and discrimination, but in the moment the lunkheads dragged out their ropes all of his wealth and power within the Chinese community didn't matter.  To then hear that he wouldn't be getting any kind of justice because California law doesn't allow for it just cemented for him how vulnerable he really is.  As much as I don't want to watch another three of our remaining episodes gobbled up by more of this story, I'm kind of hoping to see some frontier justice too.  After all, he agreed to let them leave town, he didn't promise anything about what might happen to them a mile or two down the road.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 2

I am glad they left Mei and her father out of it, which I admit I was expecting too with all the preview/foreshadowing of "she's in danger."  With this show though that only ups the odds that it's coming later when Cullen has a firm emotional attachment to one or both AND can blame himself for letting her go back to work in the first place.

The writers do seem to be systematically killing off thoes who get to close to Cullen. Makes one wonder who will be left standing when its all over.

The writers do seem to be systematically killing off thoes who get to close to Cullen. Makes one wonder who will be left standing when its all over.

The Swede, because he just doesn't die like a cockroach. Cullen seems to have lost his zeal for killing him too. Otherwise, he would have done it by now. 

Yup, I really do think now that the Swede will be the last man standing.  I don't want to accept that fact, but I'm beginning to wonder if all along the writers intended for Cullen to live a life of misery to atone for his sins of the past, and for the Swede to represent someone who has been "saved" from an evil past.  Or something like that. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the show ends with the Swede standing over Cullen's grave saying prayers.  *sigh*

Not digging this season at all.  It feels like a cross between a new show and Mulan, instead of the final season of an existing show.

I always found the relationship between Cullen and Durant to be one of the cornerstones of the show, so I'm really missing that.  And the fact that Cullen and the Swede (who I stopped caring about 3 seasons ago) are the only returning characters of note is a really lackluster plot choice in my opinion.  

• Love 2

The Cullen we see today is not the same "Bad Ass" Cullen of Season 1 and 2 I dont think. Things changed at the start of Season 3. The writers and showrunners put Cullen on the road to redemption' In Season 4 he said he was "done with killing". He couldnt even deal with Snow. They had Ruth take him out. Now he has dreams of living in that "mansion on the hill" with his Mormon wife and son. In order for that to come to pass hes going to have to change his ways. As far as the Swede is concerned he should of died back in season 2 I believe when he jumped off that bridge.

I have no idea what the Swede is plotting.  It's like a separate show with the Swede dealing with the Mormons.  It's not even connected to the rest of the show.  

Go figure.  Some Irish guys hang two people and the bad one lives.  It reminds me of the Irish hanging Elam in season one.  He wasn't the bad guy, but it was the Irish. The whole scene was boring and predictable.  The real surprise would have been if Chang died.  I never would have saw that coming. 

I was so bored this week.  How many episodes left until the bitter end?

• Love 1

What did Mei mean when she told Cullen "they will make me daughter of sun and moon". Any ideas.

I didn't have CC on, but I heard "daughter of the silent moon".  I assumed it was a reference to being killed or "silenced" for running away from the rebel leader who wanted her for his bride back in China. But I'm only half paying attention to this season.  The Chinese workers and their back stories are the only things that catch my attention anymore. 

I've somehow trained my brain to completely tune out any scenes with the Swede. I don't care about him or his 9 lives.  I don't care about his scheming or his religious fervor. Even as a US history buff, I don't care at this point if he takes over the whole railroad, blasts through the Sierras bare-handed and is the one who drives in the "Golden Spike" at Promitory Summit. 

Well considering what has gone down in previous seasons on this show Id say she stands a good chance of ending up "dead".

Yeah, just give it a couple more episodes to give her and Cullen time to exchange more meaningful glances and to give us hope that there might be something between them--and then she'll have a mine accident or something.  That's how this show rolls. 

Edited by Ohwell

I know this is wrong of me to say about a show I used to really like, but here is my ending for the show.  I am hoping that when the two railroads finally meet,  Cullen and the Swede will be in a fight near the engines.  They will slip and fall and be crushed by the railroad. End of Story....

Edited by Swiss
  • Love 4

Google is your frined here.

A 'daughter of the sun and moon' (I suppose that means a woman without a family) is a prostitute.

http://oxfordindex.oup.com/view/10.1093/acprof:osobl/9780199758760.003.0004

Preview

This chapter focuses on the experiences of the earliest Chinese women immigrants to America, with particular reference to those who were forced into prostitution. It first considers how Chinese women became the center of attention in America's first Chinatowns before turning to their place in the “bachelor society.” It then examines the thriving sex trade in Los Angeles in the early 1860s, as seen in the increasing number of whorehouses in the city, and the reasons why young women from China ended up being prostitutes in California's Chinatowns. The chapter also cites the role of American lawmen in preventing Chinese prostitutes from escaping before concluding with an assessment of marriage as a means for the Chinese to defy their rivals.