Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E14: Bite The Hand

• Start Topic

As a second major storm slams the fleet, Rookie skipper Jake Anderson reaches out to Sig Hansen for help. Josh Harris arrives on the grounds weeks late. Captain Keith Colburn and Wild Bill Wichrowski struggle to keep their greenhorns in the game.

(edited)

^ I'm not sure how many epsiodes are left. Last year's season only lists 16 episodes (the finale being 2 hours), so I imagine we have only 2 or 3 eps left unless they extended the season.

That was an interesting episode!!

I'm rooting slightly less for Amy now that she has started to complain a bit. Keith is right though, the crew has been pretty tame and well-behaved towards her. If she thinks they're bad right now wait 'til she seems them really tear into a greenhorn.

Keith has been having a bit of bad luck.

Wild Bill's main problem this year is just stuff breaking. He's lucked out on greenhorns this year. Happy that the greenhorn toughed it out though. All that puss oozing out reminded me of when my mom broke her toe.

Where do I begin with Jake? unless the editing masks the real situation: jake hits a rough patch and instead of resetting his gear once or twice to see if he has better luck, he immediately calls Sig for help. And then when Sig tries to use him, that backfires against Sig when Jake doesn't follow orders (although I didn't find him thinking about his crew weather-wise was all that bad). But then he mentions about plotting his own course blah blah.

Is it wrong that I'm rooting for Sig to destroy him to teach him a lesson? Make Jake work or it, Sig!

I'm giving the editing crew an A+ for this episode solely for how they edited the "puppet" comment and Jake's smug face together. My family cracked up at that part.

Go Sig, go!

Edited by HoodlumSheep

Of course Jake didn't contact Sig in real time to let him know seas were too rough.  Dude just has to man up.  Has to.

Bill gave the greenie credit for his effort and he didn't pooh-pooh the real hand injury.  Tell me again how heartless and overbearing the man is.  It's too bad the lad doesn't have what it takes.  Full marks to him for getting back out there in a reasonable time.

I don't wish ill on the Wizard.  Yet, it is good to see them come up empty like anyone else every once in awhile.  Good on Amy for being as good as she has been.  It seems she will not make the grade but again, there is no shame in her effort.  Keith's TH that the crew was going easy on her because she was not a guy was TRUTH.   I wonder how Amy would have handled being barked at given how rough it appeared for her in this ep.  I didn't understand why she couldn't, or wouldn't, mess with those stack ties.

My favorite moment, maybe of the season, was when Jake turned to the camera and referred to Sig as his, "Hero."   So real.  So against the "tough guy" persona most all of them work mightily to put forward.

• Love 2

I'm rooting slightly less for Amy now that she has started to complain a bit. Keith is right though, the crew has been pretty tame and well-behaved towards her. If she thinks they're bad right now wait 'til she seems them really tear into a greenhorn.

I'm still rooting for her.  That was pretty mild complaining compared to what we've seen some greenhorns do.   She's still holding her own.

Where do I begin with Jake? unless the editing masks the real situation: jake hits a rough patch and instead of resetting his gear once or twice to see if he has better luck, he immediately calls Sig for help. And then when Sig tries to use him, that backfires against Sig when Jake doesn't follow orders (although I didn't find him thinking about his crew weather-wise was all that bad). But then he mentions about plotting his own course blah blah.

Is it wrong that I'm rooting for Sig to destroy him to teach him a lesson? Make Jake work or it, Sig!

I was surprised that Sig and Jake hadn't kind of partnered up earlier on to help scope out where the crabs are, as we've seen other captains do in the past.  I think the difference is that Jake was trying to be his own man/captain.   Jake is going to be fine.  He's always been a bit whiny but highly capable.  He'll get there.  Sig has to work through in his mind the same issue he has with Edgar.  In Sig's mind, they both fit in the framework in certain locations and he has his ideas about how and when they're to move to new positions in that framework.  Sometimes Jake and/or Edgar don't follow the path Sig imagines for them.  He's got to come to grips with that.  He's a good man, though, and cares about both of them.  He'll also get there.

• Love 4
(edited)

I know the Sig/Jake thing will turn out fine. And Jake was thoughtful about his crew. I agree with whoever said Jake should have called Sig about changing directions in real time. Then Sig wouldn't have felt like Jake was goibg behind his back. Poor Jake probably doesn't know what he unintentionally caused by messing up Sig's puppet plans.

Yet at the same time, how often do we get to see Sig saying he'll destroy a person???

I'm torn.

And I recognize Amy is still doing goodish and really hasn't complained too bad (she's more grumbling to herself than outwardly complaining), I wish she'd catch a second wind or something (like how that greenhorn on Bill's boat came back out a bit more invigorated).

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2

Apparently Bill's criterion for taking somebody with a massive infection into town is whether blood poisoning has already set in (looking for red streaks).

I understand it's a tough industry.  I understand that losing thousands of dollars only to be told to fill an antibiotic prescription is not an outcome any of them want.  

But how hard is a medical consult?  They have satellite phones and fax machines.  Not sure if they could upload a photo to the satellite phone, but if there was a way to send an image of the hand, at least they might get SOME reassurance/medical advice.

But it's like they know the advice they will get will be to take him in, so don't ask.  By the time the infection has crept up his arm and entered his blood stream, how far are they from town?  Close enough that he only loses it to the elbow?

• Love 1

As far as being the captain of a large crab vessel, Jake just isn't prepared to handle this enormous responsibility. He thinks he is, but exactly what has he done in order to be prepared to effectively operate a successful crab season? Had he taken first aide or CPR courses to prepare for any emergencies of his crew? Does he have full knowledge of how to read the sonar images of the bottom of the ocean on the monitor he stares at? After the last episode I doubt whether or not Jake knows which way is North, South, East or West for positioning and setting of his traps. Does he understand about underwater currents? Sig tried to help but he decided to set his traps the way he thought they should be set.

If Jake wants the glory then he'll have to put on his big boy pants and man up to the task and not rely on Sig or anyone else to help him out when he doesn't know what he's doing. There's an old saying "we don't plan to fail, we fail to plan" and Jake thinks this will all come to him without a plan.

Apparently Bill's criterion for taking somebody with a massive infection into town is whether blood poisoning has already set in (looking for red streaks).

I hope we get some follow up and get to find out that the greenhorn is okay. 

(edited)

As far as being the captain of a large crab vessel, Jake just isn't prepared to handle this enormous responsibility. He thinks he is, but exactly what has he done in order to be prepared to effectively operate a successful crab season? Had he taken first aide or CPR courses to prepare for any emergencies of his crew? Does he have full knowledge of how to read the sonar images of the bottom of the ocean on the monitor he stares at? 

He has a captain's license issued by the US Coast Guard.  As a part of that, you're required to pass CPR/first aid classes.  You also have requirements for a number of days of service aboard certain types of vessels depending on the type of captain's license you want/have.  There are different types of captains licenses depending on the size of the vessel and what you'll be doing with it.  

Edited to add this information:

Here's a website that summarizes captains license requirements more succinctly than do the Coast Guard or Coast Guard Auxillary sites.  I'm pasting license types below.  There's a lot more information on the website for those who are interested.

From the website:

Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel (AKA 6-pack or OUPV

license) is the smallest captain license issued by the Coast Guard. This

license authorizes the authority to serve as captain on small

uninspected passenger vessels carrying six or fewer passengers, not

counting the operator or crew. This is the most common license held by

fishing guides, and small charter boat operators.

Master 25 to 200 ton license authorizes the authority serve as captain

on inspected passenger vessels carrying more than six passengers, and

to operate ferries, cargo and supply vessels, crew boats, research

vessels, and other types of work boats.

Master of Towing Vessels has the authority to serve as captain on

tugboats and towing vessels.

Master of Fishing Industry Vessels has the authority to serve as

captain on fishing industry vessels.

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 1

As far as being the captain of a large crab vessel, Jake just isn't prepared to handle this enormous responsibility. He thinks he is, but exactly what has he done in order to be prepared to effectively operate a successful crab season? Had he taken first aide or CPR courses to prepare for any emergencies of his crew? Does he have full knowledge of how to read the sonar images of the bottom of the ocean on the monitor he stares at?

Ok when I first read this I thought you said Josh then I realized you were talking about Jake.  I think Jake is fine he just needs time as a Capitan to get into his own.  That is not anything you can go to school for.  Josh on the other hand, did he do all the schooling testing etc to be a Capitan?  He seems far less experience or ready to be a Capitan then Jake.

• Love 1
(edited)

I   thought this weeks show was very boring. I agree that Jake should have called Sig to tell him he could not set the pots the way Sig wanted due to the danger to his crew. Jake appears to be way over his head.  And more whining!

That poor greenhorn on the Cape Caution - his hand looked badly infected. I also was surprised Bill did not call up Zach, who is a trained paramedic, to look at his hand.

I think Amy is doing pretty good and the crew has been very patient with her. She has done a lot less complaining than many other greenhorns. I think she will turn out ok.

It has been good to see Casey make Josh step up and start handling the boat in rough weather. It's about time.

Josh got his captain's license in 2014 - I remember when they showed it on "The Bait".  I think Josh has done a lot less driving the CM than Jake has the NE.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 2

But he used his *flashlight*'to check, so it's sound medical science.

• Love 1
But how hard is a medical consult?  They have satellite phones and fax machines.  Not sure if they could upload a photo to the satellite phone, but if there was a way to send an image of the hand, at least they might get SOME reassurance/medical advice.

I got the impression there are antibiotics on board ( I would assume so), so the quick fix might be to clean it up, tank up on meds, and keep an eye on it. I thought Bill told him to go take antibiotics.  But I agree that a photo consult wouldn't be out of line, if possible. It looked pretty icky. Some of the captains seem to have quite a bit of first aid knowledge, from the training and years of seeing anything and everything on the boat. Keith seems to be a pretty fair diagnostician. My impression is they are equipped to deal with a variety of medical issues there on the boat, since they CAN'T always make a quick trip back into town.

As for Jake and Josh, from what I recall seeing (and I admit it's only what has been shown), Jake has tried to learn everything he could about the business and running the boat, including hounding Sig to let him have time "in the chair."   Josh - have we seen much of him trying to learn anything? He's got the feet propped up, smokin' thing down pat.  Anything else?  Does he have any engineering capabilities? Most of the time he's spent captaining seems to come from Casey telling him it is his "turn."  I'm hopeful that he finds his groove and becomes the captain he appears to want to be. But I think better money is on him hitting the road once the TV deal ends.

• Love 4

Why thank you Dr Wild Bill! I suffer from bad leg cramps from time to time and I didn’t know that an enema was one of the cures. I’ll have to try it next time because it seems to be highly effective - the mere mention of the procedure seemed to cure that deckhand real quick :D

• Love 3

I understand starting antibiotics on your way back to town.  Maybe they were heading in in 12 hours and we just didn't see the part where he said "Start taking the ABs and you'll be at the clinic tomorrow by dinner time."  Instead he kind of shrugged and said "I guess you could take some antibiotics..." in a way that kind of seemed like he didn't care/couldn't recommend one way or another.  

And then of course the guy puts on what are probably filthy gloves over the hole he made bigger by squeezing the goo out, to go out and dig that hand around in bait and live crustaceans carrying God Knows what kind of microorganisms.  

• Love 2