Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Until Your Feet Leave the Ground

• Start Topic

Lt. Severide sticks his neck out for Dave Bloom, a fellow firefighter from Denver who is troubled by addiction. Elsewhere, Dawson and Shay leave town for a "girl's weekend" at a cabin in the woods. Meanwhile Jones struggles with the knowledge that her father is pressuring Chief Boden about her career path and Mouch's internet dating profile gets an upgrade with the help of Mills and the guys.

Well that was depressing, and it looks like Mills will revert back to jerk-like status next week. I was surprised at Hermann's quick turn-around; he was very vocal about females not cutting it, but he helps train a group of women firefighters? Still I liked his speech to Jones at the end.

I like Mouch's date. I hope it turns into a relationship.

Daddy didn't lose his daughter by letting her do what she wanted to;but,he still lost her. He used his power/clout to get his daughter out of the firehouse, but he still did not save her. I guess for once in her life she did what she wanted to. Well he did win, she is  no longer a firefighter.

(edited)

This episode was just such a downer. Jones was just starting to grow on me, and though I didn't much care for her in the beginning, I definitely like her considerably better than I like Gabby. It would have been interesting to continue to see Jones excelling in things that Gabby couldn't (and a fabulous bonus if she ended up stealing Casey from her). This could have been a way to humble Gabby and make her slightly more tolerable.

I was glad when Casey told Gabby that maybe they shouldn't bother to keep looking for a place since it was seeming too difficult/forced and like she wasn't really as into it. I was (am) hoping that this would be the start of their break-up as Casey deserves so much better.

I absolutely hated when Gabby was talking with Shay at the cabin and she was conveying that her being hesitant was Casey's fault because of some of the things that happened after his accident and that he was a bit dishonest as to how severe it was initially. This is a guy that she has lusted after/loved for years - she finally has him and now treats him like shit and doesn't make any effort to make their relationship better as she blames it all on Casey. The Gabby character needs a major reboot and maybe a new actress. I just can't find anything likeable or interesting about her at this point.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 3

I had the same reaction, Rapunzel. While I wasn't surprised Gabby spun their problems as all Casey's fault, I was pissed. Why he thinks she is the best he can do is beyond me. Why TPTB think the way they are writing Gabby makes us love her is also beyond me.

Maybe there is someone out there who loves Gabby… I've yet to meet one, there's got to be some since TPTB are so insistent, right? RIGHT? Yeah, I don't think so either. 

If we thought this episode of the Gabby show was bad, next week is gonna be 1000% worse. But hey, if they follow their pattern, by the week after that, the story line will be completely resolved and we will never hear of it again. 

As soon as Jones went home and took out the paper and pen, I knew exactly what was coming. What I don't get is why she left a suicide note for Gabby instead of her father? Or why she didn't try to talk to someone before making that fateful decision? Like others, I didn't like her at all when she first showed up, but over the last couple episodes, I warmed up to her. This is very sad and I'm not looking forward to Mills giving Herman grief next week.

I loved Casey's scenes with the boys while Gabby was away. He seems mostly miserable with Gabby these days so it was nice seeing him have a little fun for a change.

While I normally love Gabby's scenes with Shay I hate them last episode. It seemed so forced and such an ode to Gabby. Plus I already hate how propped Gabby is but the scenes felt designed to make up support Gabby and see Casey as in the wrong. I hate when shows pull crap like that and always end up rooting for the opposite character I'm supposed to. Plus Gabby's inability to see herself as ever being in the wrong is exhausting. Shay looked as bored with her drama as the rest of us are.

Also, I agree that Matt may not have wanted Gabby to be a firefighter but she can fuck off in her attempts at making out like he's unsupportive. He's supported her regardless of his feelings. He doesn't find her dream job that appealing because he's worried for her and doesn't want her to get hurt. I don't think he's a bad person for it. Anyway she's a fucking nightmare since she got into the academy. I don't blame him if he wants this storyline to end.

What I don't get is why she left a suicide note for Gabby instead of her father?

Or her brothers. Presumably, Jones didn't hate EVERYONE she was related to. Or, if she did, she had some actual friends outside of the approximate five minutes she'd been involved with the fire academy and 51.