Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, bijoux said:

Funny thing is, I saw screenshots of FB posts railing against his wife who dares not to be at his beck and call 24/7. I honestly saw some nasty, misogynistic stuff there. So if he is actually speaking out against that, I don't have a problem with it. However, do you just read your FB comments less often, Steve? That's where it looks like it originated.

I also didn't see the video as him throwing his wife under the bus even though apparently that happened. To me it just looked like a holiday she celebrated, so she was in the US to actually celebrate it.

I don't know that he is speaking out against that or rather just people that throw shade his way. I agree that he should have never responded to that comment, whatever that was, because you just give them a wider platform and in the meantime manage to get a whole fandom a bad name, because people can't quite seem to grasp the concept of bad apples.

Anyway, about the 4th of July, I agree with the poster above who said that he wrote all that to make people feel sorry for him. He knew that they would be apart already - he answered in a Q&A that he was getting his haircut on the 4th. Surely they could have managed that better? Either he could have gone to LA from NY, or the wife could have gone to Vancouver - since now she's there anyway. And yeah, it looked like damage control after the con stuff to me too.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 8

I guess I give him credit for trying? I took screenshots of some of the comments on one of the Olicity-themed memes and it looks like the worst one (had profanity in it) isn't there anymore, but a couple of them that that insult other fans remain, including one that calls me stupid. I understand that he can't catch all the personal attacks, but that's what assistants are for, aren't they? 

I think he's nuts if he considers his page "overwhelmingly positive". And it often doesn't feel like a "safe space" anymore.I consider this board a safe space. 

• Love 12

I don't think he had any intention of spending the 4th with his family. I think he was just gonna go directly from NY to Vancouver because he was to start production on the 5th. That is a logical plan. And let's be real the 4th of July is just an average summer day unless your American and even then its importance had become more about celebrating summer than independence. But I think he saw the hullabaloo of the gossip about his actions and wanted to do damage control on both the homefront and the internet.

Per usual, SA just manages to bungle more than he repairs. He really would benefit from media training or at least a refresher in social media. Then again, no amount of education will probably change some of his kneejerk reactionary posting. That's a personality thing and its almost impossible to change personality based behaviors.

• Love 3

The 4th of July post is the most recent in a series of FB/Twitter/Snapchat posts about the lengths he goes to in order to spend time with his daughter. Literally no one needs to know this information about his private life and travel arrangements. He chooses to share, and I refuse to believe that he's oblivious to the picture he paints when he does. I don't know if he's desperate for validation from his Facebook followers on his amazing fatherhood or what, but it's disingenuous to me to hand people puzzle pieces and then get upset when they start putting those pieces together and ask why he has to go to such lengths in the first place.

So, I hope his Twitter comments aren't in any way a reaction to his July 4th post, because that's his own damn fault. I appreciate that the guy wants to be "real" or whatever and run his own accounts, but if he's gonna do that than he needs to pay attention to the ramifications of the things he posts, and/or be like Queen Elsa and let it go. 

• Love 17

I don't want to get into SA and his personal life all that much and hopefully it doesn't offend anyone: Does his wife have an actual job? Does she still act? Because if she doesn't, couldn't she just travel with him? That way he could spend all his free time with his family and wouldn't have to post on facebook all that he has to go through. 

Obviously it is none of my business and everybody should life the way they want to. I just don't get why he gives people so much inside in his life and then cannot handle if they react to it in an unexpected manner. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't know what she does. And hey, if she wants to keep living in LA while he is in Van nine months a year, I mean, whatever works for you. Just don't complain about it then? Because it's certainly a peculiar situation, but it's not like there's no remedy. He's not in the Army, FFS.

5 minutes ago, Belinea said:

. I just don't get why he gives people so much inside in his life and then cannot handle if they react to it in an unexpected manner. 

I don't even think it's unexpected. I think it's the most natural question, why isn't she with you?

Edited by looptab
  • Love 3
(edited)

If we're getting into how much SA lets his fans into his private life,mthe strangest thing that I've come across is photos of his child used for Meme Mondays or whatever on his Facebook. It just strikes me as odd to condone strangers altering photos of your kid. I've never seen anything disrespectful but it crosses a line IMO.

As far as I know, his wife isn't acting, but she could be auditioning.

Edited by bijoux

I took it as an indication, but not proof that he made it to second billed. I don't know how it works with order after a cast member leaves. If they renegotiate or what. 

I've never been able to figure out what those picture mean. I don't think it reflects billing order, i used to wonder if was call sheet order or something. 

Kind of funny, not knowing has bugged me but, I've never bothered to ask what it meant. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Chaser said:

I took it as an indication, but not proof that he made it to second billed. I don't know how it works with order after a cast member leaves. If they renegotiate or what. 

They usually renegotiate.

It can get complicated because actors and their management often take billing very seriously, and it usually involves several factors, not all directly related to screentime/character importance. I think it's fair to say that Stephen Amell will still be billed first, Paul Blackthorne, the remaining "prestige" actor, will get the "and" billing, but otherwise, who knows? 

• Love 6

Billing is my favorite Hollywood thing ever because it just highlights how actors are really totally treated as special unicorns at all times, and then people wonder why they end up terrible jerks. Agents negotiate EVERYTHING. There are discussions of trailer size [i.e., "nobody billed lower than me can have a bigger trailer than mine"], and how many seconds longer their credit tile will be on screen, and how many seconds in between credit tiles there must be [the longer the gap, the better, in the higher billed's mind]. And those things are ~~~*important*~~~ too.

• Love 14

Those are two possible billings. It's also possible that either EBR or David Ramsey or even Echo Kellum might receive an "and" credit instead of second billing. Or it's possible that Arrow will simply move everyone up and put Echo Kellum and Josh Segarra at the end. Which is to say:

Amell, Ramsey, Holland, EBR, Kellum, Segarra, and Blackthorne

Amell, Holland, EBR, Kellum, Segarra and Ramsey and Blackthorne

Amell, EBR, Holland, Kellum, Segarra and Ramsey and Blackthorne

Amell, Ramsey, Holland, Kellum, Segarra and EBR and Blackthorne

Amell, Ramsey, Holland, EBR, Segarra and Kellum and Blackthorne

Amell, Ramsey, EBR, Holland, Segarra and Kellum and Blackthorne

Amell, EBR, Ramsey, Holland, Segarra and Kellum and Blackthorne

I hope this sorta illustrates the problem with trying to guess the billing at this point - especially since putting Segarra last is a wild guess with absolutely no evidence on my part to back it up.

• Love 1

Sad to see EBR sexy posing w/ cigarettes. That's disgusting and irresponsible. Nothing sexy about cigarettes. Cigarettes kill. Not just lung cancer. Worldwide COPD is about 65 million and set on track for 3rd leading cause of death in next decade or so. Not to mention all the financial costs in treatment. C'mon EBR, you're smarter than that aren't you?

• Love 1

I think he is looking for validation. That's kind of an actor thing...all the actors/wannabe actors I met in LA were constantly in need of validation. As the illustrious Dr. Beverly Hofstadter once said, actors tend to have an external locus of identity.

I also think it's part of his commercial image. Personally, I think he's not a great father, bc he's so rarely actually WITH his daughter. And it's not as if he's a military officer who has no choice...the TMNT2 stuff was required, but the con crap mostly isn't. I also think his marriage is weird as hell, like why she can't just move to Vancouver seeing as how she doesn't have a job and they have a nanny for one kid...but mostly, I just don't care. I think he's not stupid, but he's a very, very shallow thinker, and very self-centered. Again, all typical actor crap, but maybe he could start growing out of it now that he's in his mid-30s? And seriously, stop posting that stuff. If you want to say anything about your family, just post cute pics of your daughter. Those always go over well. 

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, Midori Ya said:

Sad to see EBR sexy posing w/ cigarettes. That's disgusting and irresponsible. Nothing sexy about cigarettes. Cigarettes kill. Not just lung cancer. Worldwide COPD is about 65 million and set on track for 3rd leading cause of death in next decade or so. Not to mention all the financial costs in treatment. C'mon EBR, you're smarter than that aren't you?

I don't really understand this. While I myself don't like the cigarette I've been taught that it's gross. So instead of railing on Emily I feel like it's even more important to instill this idea with your kids at home before they are exposed to this stuff. If people haven't been taught these basic values then I don't think that's Emily's fault. 

What Emily did was an intentionally racy photoshoot...  How different is it to an actor whose character smokes in a movie? And how do we know it wasnt the photographer's idea?

But that's just me...  

• Love 5

Film noir would beg to disagree. About cigarettes not being sexy, I mean ;)

No, but seriously, actors shouldn't have to put out PSA's just because of props they used in a shoot. Or even if they do it in real life. They're not role models, shouldn't be role models. 

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Film noir would beg to disagree. About cigarettes not being sexy, I mean ;)

No, but seriously, actors shouldn't have to put out PSA's just because of props they used in a shoot. Or even if they do it in real life. They're not role models, shouldn't be role models. 

Yup. And even if we were talking about role models people still have a brain, a free will.

My dad who I adore and is my role model has always smoked still I was taught it's a terrible and unhealthy habit and to not imitate him. I have never smoked in my life.

• Love 4

I like EBR but that doesn't give her immunity from criticism from me for the choices she makes. Just like other Arrow actors. She would have been beautiful in the pics w/ out the cigarettes. Instead, it's just gross. Agree, everyone is entitled to see it how they want. But no one has said anything, any kind of justification or rationalization I haven't already heard before and no, still doesn't change how I see it. To each his/her own.

Posters here who are on Twitter, I've a question: Did anyone see those screencaps of Stephen responding to a complaint about Arrow's FB page and agreeing that's gotten so bad HE HIMSELF has unfollowed it? I swear I saw those this morning but now I can't find them and I have a feeling they were on a "You may like this" post that's why I can't find them in my TL.

13 minutes ago, Midori Ya said:

I like EBR but that doesn't give her immunity from criticism from me for the choices she makes. Just like other Arrow actors. She would have been beautiful in the pics w/ out the cigarettes. Instead, it's just gross. Agree, everyone is entitled to see it how they want. But no one has said anything, any kind of justification or rationalization I haven't already heard before and no, still doesn't change how I see it. To each his/her own.

Both my parents have smoked for 40+ years each, and to add to the hypocrisy, they're both medical doctors. I think smoking is truly disgusting, and I've been A PEST to my parents about it for as long as I could speak [no, really, I was that kid who clogged the toilet with cigarette packs to prove a point, and they're not allowed to smoke at my place, and when I go visit I'm still a nag about it]... and I still can think that picture is awesome. *shrugs*

• Love 5
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Midori Ya said:

No one is trying to change your mind, though. If you don't like it, that's fine. If it makes you think less of EBR, that's your prerogative. I hate smoking and I don't particularly like models posing with cigarettes, but I understand that it's a common theme for photo shoots in general, and for Tyler Shield in particular. If anyone should get "called out", it should be the photographers, not their subjects, IMO

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 7
16 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Cmxf1nfWEAAfbt0.jpg

Yup

I kinda wanna be that person that takes screenshots of the threats and name calling on his page, under his comments, and post them in response... but then I remember that I have better things to do & that's he aware and pretending to be ignorant of it.

• Love 9

I just wonder if Steve is in that list of celebs Facebook is throwing money at to produce video content, that Forbes reported on a couple of weeks ago, but only really talked about companies and A+++ listers.

• Love 4

(I've been mobile for a while so I haven't really been able to respond)

Re: SA and the lack of Olicity talk lately. 

I think he's gotten pissy because he did the Turtles movie and did something unrelated to Arrow, and still the only things fans appear to care about is a ship. That's what he's going to be most known for-- a ship that wasn't even supposed to happen. So now instead of talking it up, he's talking it down in hopes that people won't just relate him to a CW show ship?? 

His lack of awareness about the negativity that surrounds Arrow and the hate directed towards the female audience tho is something else. Even when it's brought to his attention, he focuses on something else in the post. 

However, his post about wanting to spend time with his family on the holiday was 100% about getting sympathy and possibly a bit of 'fixing' for the rumours that happened on the weekend. However, as a Canadian I am a bit peeved that he didn't care about missing spending Canada Day with is family-- just the Fourth of July. But he was the one who scheduled a con on that weekend- so he knew he wouldn't be with them. I didn't understand the sudden need he had to spend 12 hours with them on a holiday when he would be seeing them the next day anyways. 

2 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I just wonder if Steve is in that list of celebs Facebook is throwing money at to produce video content, that Forbes reported on a couple of weeks ago, but only really talked about companies and A+++ listers.

That's actually a suspicion of mine, especially since he went and visited the FB headquarters a year-ish (?) ago.   

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

No one is trying to change your mind, though. If you don't like it, that's fine. If it makes you think less of EBR, that's your prerogative. I hate smoking and I don't particularly like models posing with cigarettes, but I understand that it's a common theme for photo shoots in general, and for Tyler Shield in particular. If anyone should get "called out", it should be the photographers, not their subjects, IMO

No, I didn't think people were trying to change my mind, only that they were sharing their viewpoints, putting forth arguments for what they thought and why. Since people responded to my post, that was my way of acknowledging the responses -- hence the comments about everyone entitled to see it as they see it -- while indicating that I would not be responding further b/c from my perspective it would be pointless just to keep saying the same thing over again (ie that I'd heard these same types of comments and my opinion would not change). No point in restating my opinion. Going in circles. I was letting it drop. Which is what I'll do again now.

(edited)
13 minutes ago, HighHopes said:

I think he's gotten pissy because he did the Turtles movie and did something unrelated to Arrow, and still the only things fans appear to care about is a ship. That's what he's going to be most known for-- a ship that wasn't even supposed to happen. So now instead of talking it up, he's talking it down in hopes that people won't just relate him to a CW show ship?? 

I had this same thought. I think there's a whole bunch of reasons, actually, but this is very likely. And if it's actually because of that, he is an idiot. I mean, not trying to compare the two shows or anything, but I've never watched the X-Files, yet I know all about Mulder and Scully. And I know who are the actors portraying them. Can't really say the same for other shows I've never watched. But I guess it's better to be associated with a bad sequel that kinda bombed? So there.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 7