Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I clearly remember when Oliver/Sara first made out... It irked me for a few reasons:

• This happened after Felicity made the conscious decision to tell Oliver about Thea's parentage. And Oliver doing this after Felicity was so honest and open with him just left me with a bad taste in my mouth and made me feel bad for Felicity who obviously was crushing on Oliver
  • It honestly came out of nowhere. I thought they were just friends
  • At that point I genuinely believed Oliver still had some residual feelings for Laurel so it added to my confusion and annoyance towards Oliver/Sara who probably should've considered Laurel before jumping into a relationship

It was weird... But in hindsight it makes sense why they'd fall back to one another. After that I wasn't really bothered with their relationship. I thought the were sweet, but I didn't actively root for them.

What did annoy me afterwards was what everyone said. After they got together the other characters simply didn't exist. What made Arrow spectacular in 201-213 was forgotten and the show has essentially become the Arrow/Canary show. I remember fast forwarding a lot of scenes during that brief period tbh... I suppose all I wanted was a better balance between characters.

• Love 12

I remember there was a video of a Colorado Comic Con that was filmed between seasons two and three. The panel was just Stephen and Caity, and I remember Stephen encouraging the crowd to call Caity Black Canary.  Unfortunately I'm on mobile, so can't link, but it is worth looking up because Caity calls Emily on the phone in the middle of the panel.  

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I clearly remember when Oliver/Sara first made out... It irked me for a few reasons:

• This happened after Felicity made the conscious decision to tell Oliver about Thea's parentage. And Oliver doing this after Felicity was so honest and open with him just left me with a bad taste in my mouth and made me feel bad for Felicity who obviously was crushing on Oliver
  • At that point I genuinely believed Oliver still had some residual feelings for Laurel so it added to my confusion and annoyance towards Oliver/Sara who probably should've considered Laurel before jumping into a relationship

Same. The lunge episode gave me a bad feeling from the start, I was like "why is Oliver obsessing over Sara like that? " and by the end I was "oh. That's why". 

But I wasn't online and watched the first two seasons in a handful of days, so my annoyance at the back half of S2 didn't have time to fester :)

• Love 4

Well my honest opinion has always been that he became the worst version of himself when he hooked up with either Laurel or Sara. In chronological order he cheated, broke his promise to help Dig, was an ass to his best friend, ignored/had a dismissive attitude towards his team mates/friends, went to that terrible family dinner making an already difficult situation even worse. He acted selfishly which is what I thought he did during the lunge episode too.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, wonderwall said:

It was weird... But in hindsight it makes sense why they'd fall back to one another. After that I wasn't really bothered with their relationship. I thought the were sweet, but I didn't actively root for them.

^ This. I remember disliking the O/S hook up because there wasn't really any build up imo, happened right after Felicity asked Oliver not to abandon her and - as much as I disliked Laurel -the hook up were at odds with Oliver and Sara trying to make up for past mistakes. I could head canon why they were together (both broken, needed comfort, understood each other) but as we've commented on other threads, there was no vocalising about their decision.

That said, the relationship always screamed TEMPORARY - partly because I was still sure they were clinging to L/O - so it didn't bug me much. Though the show becoming all about Sara was annoying, I remember my annoyance was directed at the writers rather than her character. We'd got to know Sara, I liked her, I just disliked the writing in that phase. In contrast I've always been annoyed at Laurel rather than the writing of her because her writing has been poor  consistently and for me there was never a character underneath that to like. 

• Love 7

Whenever I read comments on Steve's facebook, I like to imagine I'm the judge Ana Gasteyer played on The Good Wife, who forced every lawyer and witness ever to say "in my opinion" before every sentence.

• Love 13

Why does SA only respond to the haters? Way to give them an audience and a platform, dude. 

2 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Whenever I read comments on Steve's facebook, I like to imagine I'm the judge Ana Gasteyer played on The Good Wife, who forced every lawyer and witness ever to say "in my opinion" before every sentence.

SAME!

Guy:  "The one thing that's killed this show and the one thing fans have hated since season 3"

Me: inserts "in my opinion" in my head after that sentence

• Love 4
(edited)

The question still remains: Why are these people still watching? They clearly hate the show and watching what one hates seems rather miserable to me.  I guess I'm strange in that I would never post ridiculousness like this on an actor's/writer's/producer's social media page because a) it's rude and b) I know my opinion doesn't mean shit to people getting paid millions of dollars a year to make a TV show. I would stop watching just as I've done dozens of times. 

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 16
4 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I think it's because he takes those comments personally. I'd block people and laugh while I picture them getting worked up about me blocking them, LOL.

And then go roll around in your millions of dollars, in the air-conditioned comfort of your mansion.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, NumberCruncher said:

I guess I'm strange in that I would never post ridiculousness like this on an actor's/writer's/producer's social media page

You are not strange at all. Sometimes I wonder why people aren't embarrassed. I mean, they don't know him and are not always very polite. I mean, sure you don't have to say only positive things but generally the tone makes the music. I wouldn't even respond but I agree with you, I feel like he does take it personally and cannot leave it alone because at the end he feels like it is his show and his work and he wants to have a say. Or maybe the last word.

• Love 1

Fandom is always a funny thing and IMO (hah) follows a very specific pattern. In S1 everything is great, by S4/S5 the fans start to turn on the show. By S11 (hello SPN) you find more people bitching/complaining/nitpicking every little thing, then saying anything positive. A lot of times I read that stuff and wonder WTF are you still watching?

In Arrow S1 on SpoilerTV I made a comment about thinking an episode sucked and got a ton of replies about how I was wrong and the episode/show was great.  Same week, same forum, made a comment about how much I enjoyed The Vampire Diaries episode and received a bunch of replies saying how much the show/episode sucked.

It is what it is.

• Love 10
(edited)
30 minutes ago, NumberCruncher said:

The question still remains: Why are these people still watching? They clearly hate the show and watching what one hates seems rather miserable to me.  I guess I'm strange in that I would never post ridiculousness like this on an actor's/writer's/producer's social media page because a) it's rude and b) I know my opinion doesn't mean shit to people getting paid millions of dollars a year to make a TV show. I would stop watching just as I've done dozens of times. 

The ridiculous part is that SA truly can't do anything about the direction of the show. These people can post their issues on his Facebook all day long, but he doesn't write Arrow. It's like complaining to your dentist about knee pain. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 10

I think it's fandom being fandom, but also, it's the nature of FACEBOOK itself, which is built upon people trying to out-comment each other by way of tl;dr. That's what the platform wants from all of its users.

• Love 6

I agree that Stephen should just stop giving attention to the haters - especially the biased haters. You are in Australia promoting your first movie, enjoy yourself and stop caring!

OTOH, since we've noticed a slight change of attitude in Stephen when it comes to Olicity, I'm not so much worried about their future in the show, but I do think that he is trying to be more neutral about it - since he is aware of the kind of comments people are making,  especially on his FB - to try and mitigate the ires of these people, and maybe in an attempt to not invite ulterior hate towards himself specifically.

• Love 1
(edited)

Also the potential for Oliver/laurel is over now so I think he's not trying as hard to be clear what direction he'd prefer to go, romantic interest wise. 

Well...unless Laurel rises from the dead, but in that case we'll have other things to discuss lmao

Edited by Thundercatmary
  • Love 2
(edited)

How'd I miss this comic con?  WH and KL were at MCM London Comic Con on May 28 (warning: spoilery if you don't read the Spoilers thread)...

Arrow Stars Katrina Law & Willa Holland @ MCM London Comic Con
Published on May 28, 2016, by MYM Buzz

Arrow Season 4 & 5 Interview - Willa Holland & Katrina Law
Published on May 28, 2016, by Flicks And The City 

How ARROW's Katrina Law Deliberately Messed With OLICITY Shippers
Published on May 28, 2016, by Flicks And The City 

Willa Holland and Katrina Law at MCM Comic Con London May 2016
Published on May 28, 2016, by fishhoekmusicman

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Arrow's David Ramsey on Season 4 Finale, Diggle's New Helmet
Published on May 25, 2016, by The Lowdown with Diana Madison 

On "#Olicity": 
DR: "Okay, there's a whole story with that, right? Because no one knew that was gonna happen."
DM: "They had a relationship and now they're like not together."
DR: "They're not quite together. People want them together. It's a big thing. I mean, who knew? ... As a fan of the show and, um... you just never know what's going to catch on."
DM: "People are really obsessed. They want that to happen. It's like their goal."
DR: "It's crazy - because the show really started, in terms of the relationship - the big relationship on the show was really Oliver and Laurel. Right? The Green Arrow and the Black Canary.  And then, just kinda, Felicity came in and people just fell in love with that duo. No one knows. I mean, no one knew."

On Andy Diggle: 
DM: "Is he gonna to pull a Jon Snow and come back from the dead?"
DR: "Wouldn't that be cool? 
DM: "It could happen."
DR: "I don't think so... I don't think he is. I think he's done. You know - and I think Canary's done too. Black Canary."
DM: "Really?"
DR: "I mean, I love - I love Laurel Lance and I love Katie Cassidy, but I think she's done. And I think - I think Andy Diggle might be done... And I love both those characters."
DM: "That's a good scoop because we were dying to know - is he going to come back?"
DR: "No, I don't think he's going to come back."

On S5 production start date:
DM
: "Uh, with Season 5. Have you guys already started? Like production? Filming?"
DR: "Well, it's funny but pre-production starts - those guys, they get like literally two weeks off... They go straight into it. We get like two and a half months - the actors. Um, but yeah, we go back to Season 5 July 5th."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

was the chipmunk voices intentional or my phone screwing up with embeded video again (usually it's really slow and deep)?

ETA: it was my phone, had to go over to Facebook to play it properly...the chipmunk voices were actually funnier. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Arrow's David Ramsey on Season 4 Finale, Diggle's New Helmet
Published on May 25, 2016, by The Lowdown with Diana Madison 

OK, so for @Morrigan2575 and @Soulfire and anybody else who was at the COH2 con and who got to see Digg's new helmet, is it really much better than the old one? Thanks for any info you can share!

it's a definite improvement, IMO. it reminds me of the Judge Dred helmet but the visor was a light shade so you could clearly see DR's face and a bit more open (no red x over the eyes and push the sides back a bit)

dredd-3b.jpg

I know DR said he liked it better because you could hear his lines in the new helmet. Apparently in the current version everything came out muffled so he had to do ADR for every episode.

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree with @Morrigan2575 -- the new helmet looks like an improvement. We joked with him that he only had peripheral vision with the former; he agreed. This one doesn't have the long Magneto-esque sides and looks like a darker, sleeker version of Judge Dred's above.

Edited by Soulfire
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ok, Willa might have done some questionable choices lately, but I  really love the way she answers to questions. It's still the same stuff she's been repeating since S3 - and not that different from what KC had to say about LL - still, she manages to make me believe her every time. Too bad they always manage to ruin Thea's arcs.

Plus, the face she makes during the clip with Katrina about her messing with Olicity fans, it must be giffed and used as universal for "second-hand embarassment" :)

On another note, there's been a follow up to Stephen's post. The one where he quoted that guy it's not there anymore, but he wrote this

Edited by looptab
  • Love 3
(edited)

I'm not on social media, and I think that avoiding them is the wisest.
I also agree that the second best choice is to only focus on the positive.

But let's be honest, I think it happens to every single one of us at times to respond to haters or trolls/let them get at us, and we don't have the same level of pressure as S.Amell has on his shoulders or the shitload of messages he receives.  In his case, maybe it isn't media-savvy, but at least his response shows imo that he isn't only in for the paycheck, and that he cares about his work and about the show. I didn't agree with him when he was defensive about the BMD, I find it endearing when he defends Felicity (he was one of earliest fans, if not the very first, after all) but in any case he supports what he believes in and I respect this.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, looptab said:

Ok, Willa might have done some questionable choices lately, but I  really love the way she answers to questions. It's still the same stuff she's been repeating since S3 - and not that different from what KC had to say about LL - still, she manages to make me believe her every time. Too bad they always manage to ruin Thea's arcs.

Plus, the face she makes during the clip with Katrina about her messing with Olicity fans, it must be giffed and used as universal for "second-hand embarassment" :)

On another note, there's been a follow up to Stephen's post. The one where he quoted that guy it's not there anymore, but he wrote this

Yeah, some of Willa's personal choices are...interesting. And I nearly hate Thea now. But I do, and have always, found her to be a good actress. If they'd just consistently write her well, I'm sure I'd really like Thea.

• Love 1

I had heard such good things about GS and I was interested in watching BC done right, but going thru her SM turned me completely off her.

Shes a troll. She reminds me of Carina. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I had heard such good things about GS and I was interested in watching BC done right, but going thru her SM turned me completely off her.

Shes a troll. She reminds me of Carina. 

Gail Simone... She really is a grade A troll lmao She may be a good writer, but man... She's a terribly childish person. I have zero respect for her

• Love 8
(edited)

Is that KC? She looks different in the face.

Also yeah. Gail should just change her name to Troll Simone. She baits everyone and they fall for it. I'm a bit embarrassed for KC tbh. 

Edited by Guest