Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Not that fans are controllable in the age of social media, but by handing over promotion to the fans the powers-that-be lose control of the message which could hurt them in the long run. 

That's a great point.

On another note,

apparently EBR's stunt double was seen in one of CR's picture, so there may be an upcoming Olicity stunt.

Amending my last post, but this is more on the spec side: from the CW's standpoint promoting O/F = promoting Arrow specifically to a female audience. Except Arrow is one of the shows that they actively use to snag male viewers. They have little money, so the money goes to dudebro PR instead of lady-friendly PR.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 10

Actors don't have to do anything but since fans online support all their pet projects I don't think posting a pic once in a while would kill them. I'm not overly invested in the problem, I don't really care and I wouldn't ask them for anything since they are strangers and it's weird for me to ask them for stuff but in their place I'd do it. It doesn't seem a sacrifice and if it makes people happy I don't see why not, but that's just the way I am.

• Love 7

Amending my last post, but this is more on the spec side: from the CW's standpoint promoting O/F = promoting Arrow specifically to a female audience. Except Arrow is one of the shows that they actively use to snag male viewers. They have little money, so the money goes to dudebro PR instead of lady-friendly PR.

Especially since you have SmoakandArrow and the like who do a lot of Arrow/Olicity related promotions on their own. Why spend the money on promoting Olicity when the fandom does it on it's own...for free?!

Especially since you have SmoakandArrow and the like who do a lot of Arrow/Olicity related promotions on their own. Why spend the money on promoting Olicity when the fandom does it on it's own...for free?!

But they would do it if the CW was in anyway interested in upping Arrow's female audience. I think not only they aren't interested, but they also DO NOT WANT any increase in lady eyeballs.

• Love 6

I have a feeling that SA tries to shut down people quickly who might assume things about him and his co-workers. He has no patience for that (nor does he have to have it) I do think that he gets along with EBR but doesn't want to feed people's delusion. When it is clearly about O/F, he doesn't seem to be quite as direct. I mean, he posts stuff about the characters all the time on his facebook, so obviously he seems to have no problem with the shippers in general. Just the ones who want more of him with EBR are not his favorite. 

But for all I know, it might be the like the Castle set, just up in Vancouver.

It seems to me that avoiding to post pics is what makes people talk. I have no idea why they don't post pics together but if that's the reason they are doing it then it's quite silly and achieves the opposite result. It would make more sense if it was because they don't get along. Just to clarify I don't believe they do not get along but hey, who knows.

• Love 1

It seems to me that avoiding to post pics is what makes people talk. I have no idea why they don't post pics together but if that's the reason they are doing it then it's quite silly and achieves the opposite result. It would make more sense if it was because they don't get along. Just to clarify I don't believe they do not get along but hey, who knows.

Yeah, I think they get along fine. My guess is that they're friendly colleagues who don't necessarily hang out a huge amount regularly. They're at very different places in their lives, so I doubt they're besties, but I certainly think they're friendly.

• Love 3

But they would do it if the CW was in anyway interested in upping Arrow's female audience. I think not only they aren't interested, but they also DO NOT WANT any increase in lady eyeballs.

^^^This. The answer really is as simple as how you've explained it. The network hasn't made any secret of the fact that male viewers are more important to them (and to their advertisers) than female viewers. That's why I'm really not surprised that The Flash continues to underdevelop its female characters/storylines and Arrow kills theirs off and also allows their FB page to turn into a cesspool of misogyny.

• Love 15

^^^This. The answer really is as simple as how you've explained it. The network hasn't made any secret of the fact that male viewers are more important to them (and to their advertisers) than female viewers. That's why I'm really not surprised that The Flash continues to underdevelop its female characters/storylines and Arrow kills theirs off and also allows their FB page to turn into a cesspool of misogyny.

What the CW and Pedowitz are going for is a balanced network. They're courting the male demo because for years the CW has been known as the teen girl network. If you noticed, their schedule is roughly split between shows that are designed to attract young males (Arrow, Flash, LoT), show's that court young women (TVD, Originals, Reign, Crazy Ex Girlfriend, Jane the Virgin) and shows that could go either way, The 100 and iZombie (female leads but action type). There's also Supernatural which last I looked (could have changed) had a fairly even split among male/female.

Yes Pedowitz is proud that Arrow/Flash have a strong young male demo. That doesn't mean they ONLY want young males watching CW.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 6

But I bet they do not want the superhero shows to start skewing too female. PR is about getting new viewers [despite fandom thinking PR is for us -- it really really isn't], so they won't bother trying to get O/F on the cover of a magazine, or do shippy photoshoots, because that's courting new female viewers.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 2

What the CW and Pedowitz are going for is a balanced network. They're courting the male demo because for years the CW has been known as the teen girl network. If you noticed, their schedule is roughly split between shows that are designed to attract young males (Arrow, Flash, LoT), show's that court young women (TVD, Originals, Reign, Crazy Ex Girlfriend, Jane the Virgin) and shows that could go either way, The 100 and iZombie (female leads but action type). There's also Supernatural which last I looked (could have changed) had a fairly even split among male/female.

Yes Pedowitz is proud that Arrow/Flash have a strong young male demo. That doesn't mean they ONLY want young males watching CW.

I would agree that they definitely market shows for women too, but what I probably should have clarified is that they don't particularly care if women to watch their "boy shows" (i.e. superhero shows). Just looking at the marketing and the comments made by Pedowitz & Co. makes that pretty darn clear to me. YMMV and all that, as always.

ETA: Or basically what dtissagirl said much better than I could.

Edited by NumberCruncher

But I bet they do not want the superhero shows to start skewing too female. PR is about getting new viewers [despite fandom thinking PR is for us -- it really really isn't], so they won't bother trying to get O/F on the cover of a magazine, or do shippy photoshoots, because that's courting new female viewers.

I absolutely agree that they don't want their Superheroes shows skewing female. That's not the same as saying that the CW only cares about the male demo. Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

And yet as a woman neither of the supposedly "female" shows attract me.

And that is their mistake, imo! they are actually dividing their audience and causing a rift- especially in the "male" shows fandoms- as we constantly see in our fandom.

As a female I actually much prefer Arrow and LoT over the "female" attraction shows - which I find stupid at best and an insult to my intelligence at worst.

I think in the long run Pedowitz and co are doing more harm for the network. Yes some of the shows before were stupid, but creating a divided target market shows is even more stupid, imo. What Pedowitz like every male fails to understand is that still in many ways it is the woman who still run the house, and if she is watching a show like Arrow because she's a comic fan or just an Olicity fan, or just a Felicity fan, her husband may too, and she is more likely to allow her kids to read comics and watch the show eventually, or buy comic related stuff. So her watching very well means everyone! is watching, which means ratings, which means buzz online and so forth.

There's no need to promote Arrow as a romance drama when it's not, but it does have aspects of it in it and ignoring it mean they are ignoring an entire audience that may start watching for that romance (or SA and DR abs) but will say because they really like the show.

and that was the least feminist things I have written in a long time, but it sadly still holds true.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 4

I absolutely agree that they don't want their Superheroes shows skewing female. That's not the same as saying that the CW only cares about the male demo.

Oh, definitely, I was talking about Arrow specifically. The CW loves their lady shows a lot, they just don't want too many ladies watching the dudebro stuff.

Bless CR. So much cute. I feel kinda bad they probably felt pressured into that though, what with all the begging for bts pictures. Yikes @ the secondhand embarrassment! 

Also, I can see EBR's stunt double in the background. Shenanigans...?

Oh, definitely, I was talking about Arrow specifically. The CW loves their lady shows a lot, they just don't want too many ladies watching the dudebro stuff.

Supernatural appeals to men and women. So how do they fit into the "dudebro" stuff. 

Edited by catrox14

Bless CR. So much cute. I feel kinda bad they probably felt pressured into that though, what with all the begging for bts pictures. Yikes @ the secondhand embarrassment! 

Also, I can see EBR's stunt double in the background. Shenanigans...?

Two minds about this. I agree that the timing sucks because it does give the impression there was pressure involved. However, I do think CR was planning on getting something with EBR and SA. Fans had been asking for awhile and she was liking tweets so I was expecting something from her.

And then there is SA. He did not look prepared for that. It looked like it took EBR reacting for him to figure it out. So in a weird way that works for me? Like he may have planned to do something but that clearly wasn't it so I feel better?

That bust a move one may be my favorite snap chat he has ever done.

• Love 3

I swear EBR reacted to CR the way I react when my mom says/does something embarrassing. It's cute to see that they have that kind of relationship.

That could very well have been a scene from the show.

Donna: is Donna.

Felicity: [groan]Moooom!

Oliver: What in the where now?

• Love 6

I have a feeling that SA tries to shut down people quickly who might assume things about him and his co-workers. He has no patience for that (nor does he have to have it) I do think that he gets along with EBR but doesn't want to feed people's delusion. When it is clearly about O/F, he doesn't seem to be quite as direct. I mean, he posts stuff about the characters all the time on his facebook, so obviously he seems to have no problem with the shippers in general. Just the ones who want more of him with EBR are not his favorite. 

But for all I know, it might be the like the Castle set, just up in Vancouver.

I..don't think this was the issue at hand? Yes, we suspect that the lack of SA/EBR pics is due to them trying not to encourage trash shipping, but, I think in this case it was more about fans demands and sense of entitlement than anything else? From what I've gathered, he answered to a FB post which basically said, "We as fans do this, this, and that. The least you could do is post a picture" and he said he didn't understand the constant desire for BTS stuff, and that when it happens, it happens. But he didn't seem pissed off to me, or like he wanted to shut it down. Maybe someone else has a different interpretation? 

Actors don't have to do anything but since fans online support all their pet projects I don't think posting a pic once in a while would kill them. I'm not overly invested in the problem, I don't really care and I wouldn't ask them for anything since they are strangers and it's weird for me to ask them for stuff but in their place I'd do it. It doesn't seem a sacrifice and if it makes people happy I don't see why not, but that's just the way I am.

That's an interesting way to look at it. It really depends on which perspective you look at it from. Like, I feel like fans whining about it and demanding it it's a bit too much, though I understand - and at times feel - the frustration. And at the same time though, actors, it's not like people are asking for your firstborn child, haha.

(Edited because I had basically inverted the points in my OP) :)

Edited by looptab
  • Love 2

Yay! Love the OTA picture. That's one I've been hoping for. David always comes through with OTA pics! :D

I'm loving EK's snaps with NM. Hilarious.