Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Funeral

Beatrice's eulogy was gloriously stupid.  In a good way.

Peepers backstory was fantastic.

Tons of great one liners.

Actually almost every single thing in this episode was great.  The only slight disappointment was Mark Twain, who could have been a LOT more over the top.

• Love 2

The dog's name is Cutie. That's Natasha's dog. She made her first appearance on screen in Natasha's segment of Drunk History, IIRC.

Ooh, you're right! I love that! Leggero and Cutie are a great pair. 

• Love 1
Leggero and Cutie are a great pair.

I was watching the new episode this morning, when Cutie was jumping thru the hoop, thinking, I hope Cutie's getting a screen credit for this.  

I didn't really like this one as much as I liked the first two. I got a kick out of Beatrice dancing around like an idiot at the funeral, and the bits with Mark Twain were pretty funny. But Peeper's Native American family didn't really work for me and Victor and Albert were kind of boring in a cliche kind of way. The whole thing still feels hit and miss. 

But Peeper's Native American family didn't really work for me

I was wondering if this was a spoof on the episode of Downton Abbey when Carson's old partner from show biz shows up and embarrasses him, but it didn't play out like that. 

Beatrice spinning and jumping around between the coffins had me LOL.    I'll say one thing, Jason Ritter is all in playing her twin brother.   

• Love 1

Peeper's Native American family worked for me mainly because of Lou Diamond Phillips has his brother.  Lou was hilarious with his "Are you fucking serious?!" reaction shots to all of the craziness, and Peeper's being oblivious to how little the family thinks of him.

The funeral was pretty hilarious, especially with Mark Twain being there.  Also loved the "old-timey" teleprompter, a.k.a. two servants with a big scroll.

Chair with the kids was fun, even if she is basically still being the straight woman amongst all the crazies.  But I did feel at times that Christina Hendricks was channeling Joan from Mad Men at times, over how frustrated she was with the entire thing.

Jason Ritter continue to be a highlight.  Loved that Fredrick thought Alfred's ghost was watching him.

Christina Hendricks is killing it for me. She's got a great WTF face. 

"It's tighter down there than a jew's wallet." Roaring out loud.

I love the cast. It's so much fun to see who will pop up next. 

• Love 2

I agree re Christina killing it,  and she may end up being the "straight woman" to all the craziness.  Watch it Chair, or I'll change your name to Water Closet. 

I'm hoping they get a lot of other people for guest shots from the people that do Drunk History.  The Wilson Brothers, Stephen Merchant, Bob Odenkirk, Jack Black, etc. 

(edited)

I agree with the poster who thought this was probably the weakest of the three, but I still loved it because I am totally and completely head over heels for this show. I like some other recent comedies, but none have made me laugh out loud a fraction as much as this show. It can get a little raunchy for my personal taste, but the over-the-top-ness is part of the fun, and there are actually a ton of subtly smart, clever lines as well. 

Chair having to tell the children that their fathers are dead, only to realize that these loud little creatures don't even know who their fathers ARE, was hilarious. I agree that Christina Hendricks is an absolute gem, but the casting is pretty much perfect all around. 

I really hope this show does well enough to stick around. I'm already fantasizing about just how great that DVD gag reel is going to be :) 

Edited by amensisterfriend
(edited)

I'm not a fan of broad or slapstick humor, so parts of this series are boring me.

But I loved the two gays in the twee cottage, the doggie dozing while wearing mourning, and the manic funeral dancing.

Before I knew Jason Ritter's name, I thought "he's got to be John Ritter's son." Dead ringer. And a good actor.

Edited by pasdetrois

Before I knew Jason Ritter's name, I thought "he's got to be John Ritter's son." Dead ringer. And a good actor.

(young) John Ritter: 

john-ritter-GC.jpg

Tyler Ritter (who looks even MORE like John and who you've probably also seen on TV this past year, since he had a sitcom, The McCarthy's) and Jason Ritter:

Tyler+Ritter+Macy+Passport+Presents+Glam

I was wondering if this was a spoof on the episode of Downton Abbey when Carson's old partner from show biz shows up and embarrasses him, but it didn't play out like that. 

Beatrice spinning and jumping around between the coffins had me LOL.    I'll say one thing, Jason Ritter is all in playing her twin brother.

Jason Ritter is fabulous as Frederick. So clueless, yet earnest.

• Love 3