Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Lama Trauma

Hank helps Boris prep a secret patient for surgery; Evan tries to chase a bad omen from the hospital; and an offer from Quami forces Divya to make a major decision about her personal life.

I really liked the boy- he was adorable. Of course 7 years of no issues and he gets endocarditis so Hank can save him. I also liked the reasoning why Boris was so invested in saving his life.

I was surprised that Divya let down the Prince so early in this storyline, but I did feel sorry that Raj went back to his wife. He's such a nice guy.

Missed Paige this week.

I know the dialogue was cheesy, but the boy was adorable for sure. Thank you TPTBs for having Divya act like an adult and let down the prince. I actually thought she was kind of funny with a few of her line readings. 

Of course, this week was buffoon Evan, so next week he'll be ok. 

The whole corn conversation was unusually funny for this show. I wonder if it was ad libbed?

From the first tap on the window, I was so sure that dove was part of the Tibetan mystere that I didn't catch the storyline when it turned out to be unrelated.  (I thought the dove might absorb the boy's heart trouble into her own body or something like that.)

I could have lived without ten scenes of Evan R. Lawson, Stumblebum.

• Love 2

It probably says something for where my level of interest in RP is these days when I ended up watching the MLB ASG last night, and completely forgot this was on until I saw this thread today.  I assume the DVR recorded it for me, and I'll probably watch it and next week's finale, but I can't say I'll be back next season.  I just don't care about these people at this point.  I think I'm mostly watching to see if something ever comes of the shark Boris had...

• Love 1

Although Evan was an idiot for letting a bird inside a hospital, he did do one thing right. His question to the pompous cardiologist was perfect when he asked about other patients he's treated. 

As for the dove, I too was worried that it would be trouble for the boy, then I remembered it's Royal Pains and they wouldn't kill a kid. In fact, the only patient Hank has ever lost was Jack. Instead, it gave Evan and his nurse nemesis a chance to bond, 

Of course as soon as Divya turns down the prince, Raj says he's going to try to work it out with his wife. Is the end game for Divya still Jeremiah? I think so. Hopefully, he spent this week moving back into his house. 

It just wouldn't be a Royal Pains season 7 episode without some mention of Hank's love life. 

I could have lived without ten scenes of Evan R. Lawson, Stumblebum.

Sheesh, I can live without any scenes of Evan, ever. Even when he's not being written specifically as a social-climbing jerk, he's still a jerk. First you call maintenance, then you call animal control. It's a freakin' hospital. More fool you, Boris, if you hire him permanently. I still can't figure out what Paige ever saw in him. *coughLOSERcough*

I was very glad they handled the young tulku's storyline sensitively. I was afraid they would try to re-write Tibetan history and gloss over the Chinese atrocities committed against its people for a laugh.

• Love 2

I didn't pay much attention to this episode, because it wasn't that interesting. Could have lived out with the Evan vs. bird plot. Why did we need that? And yes, as mentioned, a couple phone calls would have solved the problem easily. So stupid.

The most interesting part this week was actually Raj telling Divya that he is going to try marriage counseling with his wife. I think that makes sense and I liked that Divya (on screen at least) wasn't pouty and mad at him. I'm sure she was disappointed, but she did the right thing and let him go. Not at all surprised that she turned down the prince-- I mean, did the show really expect us to think Divya would give up her career and move to another country to become a princess/queen? Yeah no. I am fairly convinced that Divya/Jeremiah is still end game here, though with Raj trying to reconcile with his wife maybe they'll play that card and have Divya and Rafa try to work things out.

I was expecting to roll my eyes a lot during the Hank/Lama/Boris plotline, but it was actually fairly well done and there were some nice moments. I did get a chuckle out of the boy blessing Hank's iPad and then all the dings from the dating site. I did like that the boy loved the stuffed animal Evan brought to him, even as Hank was trying to pooh-pooh it. (That actually seemed out of character for Hank, who I think would realize that a child would want something comforting in a strange place.)

Missed Paige and Jeremiah this week-- hopefully they are back for the finale (already?!) next week.

My favorite scene was Hank and Evan eating corn on the cob on the patio with Boris. Boris alone with no bodyguards or servants, no impeccably tailored suit, just sitting there with the Lawson brothers eating corn. Ok, he was using an knife and fork but he was being just one of the guys. I loved that so much I had to rewind it a couple of times.

Out of all the characters on this show, I find Boris the most fascinating and will miss him a lot when it's all over. He's been becoming less enigmatic lately. He mentioned earlier in the season that he and Marisa are going to be simplifying their lives. This episode has him turning more humanitarian than I've seen him being, though there was that deal last season where he bought a dinosaur skeleton and returned it to the government of the country from where it had been excavated.

I'm hoping he gives Hank or HankMed Shadow Pond on his way out. That would be a real hoot.

I won't miss Evan one little bit when this show ends.

• Love 1

I really liked the boy- he was adorable. Of course 7 years of no issues and he gets endocarditis so Hank can save him. I also liked the reasoning why Boris was so invested in saving his life.

I was surprised that Divya let down the Prince so early in this storyline, but I did feel sorry that Raj went back to his wife. He's such a nice guy.

Missed Paige this week.

All of this ^^^

I absolutely thought that Divya was going to continue her streak of bad judgement after being dumped and go right back to Prince Genetic Disease and get on a plane to Paris. I am glad I was wrong. But Raj - how about you pick a better place to dump someone than the hospital hallway!?!? 

I liked Evan's one-up (finally) of Hank with "he's 7, Henry. Yes, a ?pouch? (that's how i heard it), but he's still 7." And Boris's dismissal of Hank's embarrassment: "he's 7. he doesn't care about your dating life."

When Evan ran out of the secret surgery lair, i thought he was going to go get new nurse fave Margaret to help. But alas, still chasing the dumb bird.

How are they managing their patient load short one doctor? Not to mention that Jeremiah was supposed to be the "managing partner" so to speak.

One final snark - of COURSE Divya knew off the top of her head about Mediterranean GeneticFeverDisease-itis.

So my first impression was-who needs a cardiac surgery team when you have Hank? I'm surprised they even bothered with them...

When they ended two possible romances for Divya in one episode-I wondered if they even went there in case the actress gave birth before the end of their shooting schedule. If she went into labor there was a plausible storyline to explain her absence. Like, a phone call to Paige during which we only see Paige's side of the conversation reacting to Divya saying she was going to Paris or elsewhere with either the Prince or Raj ("a last minute trip to Paris? We'll see you when you come back wearing tight, form fitting outfits agains...."). I agree with others that ANY hospital administrator would call maintainence, etc. to get rid of a bird.

I couldn't believe it though when they announced that next week was the season finale. What?? Does anyone know-is it really the season finale or is it the series finale?

Instead, it gave Evan and his nurse nemesis a chance to bond.

I actually like her and Evan together. I think he would be a good admin (on the weeks where they write Evan as sensible and not buffoon) because he does listen to her. He looked a little sad when she threw out the "walking around in fancy suits" line. 

It was mildly funny when she was freaking out about the bird too.

I'll take what I can get. Between this and Falling Skies, please just end. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The weird thing about the bird subplot is that they were clearly trying to show a progression for Evan from "nobody thinks I can do this job" to "I can do this job"--the look of "hey, I got the bird out of the hospital in the end and nobody died" on his face at the end projected an epiphany, but it didn't seem earned. As so many above have pointed out, a really good administrator would know how to put the right people on the job in the first place. Is anyone here old enough to remember the M*A*SH episode when Klinger proved he was up to the job he inherited from Radar, by coming to the rescue and organizing whatever it was they needed in an emergency (I remember he had them using jeep headlamps for lighting)? I was really wishing for that kind of moment, when Evan could do what he does best, which is schmoozing and connecting people, in a way which would solve a problem for the hospital.

eta: Please add me to the roster of the Evan and Maggie fan club. I've always liked the actress, but in my heart she will always be Ellen's friend Audrey. Yeah, I'm old. :)

Edited by Reishe
  • Love 2

I couldn't believe it though when they announced that next week was the season finale. What?? Does anyone know-is it really the season finale or is it the series finale?

Season finale. USA is still killing off its Blue Skies shows, but at least they're being nice about it. Royal Pains got 2 shortened seasons of 8 episodes each to wrap up. This was the first of the two. Next season will probably be the last of the show unless a miracle occurs.

It probably says something for where my level of interest in RP is these days when I ended up watching the MLB ASG last night, and completely forgot this was on until I saw this thread today.  I assume the DVR recorded it for me, and I'll probably watch it and next week's finale, but I can't say I'll be back next season.  I just don't care about these people at this point.  I think I'm mostly watching to see if something ever comes of the shark Boris had...

I mainly watch for the great clothes and location scenery.  The rest is just fluff, but fun fluff.  I especially like the banter between Hank and Evan.

However, when they announced that the finale was next week, I was amazed at how short the season was.  I just read that this season and next have only 8 episodes each, which doesn't bode well for them.