Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Redemption

A cop killer has a terrifying near-death experience in Dr. Tyler's OR. As Cat and her team investigate, they learn his horrible experience also might carry an important message from beyond.

This episode made no sense.

Agreed.

And, when Hospital Administrator Guy declares him fit for release (against the will of his surgeon) and he promptly dies, nobody has anything to say, not even said surgeon?  Except for Hospital Administrator Guy himself, whose comment is "I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  Personally, I think he got what he deserved."

And when Hospital Administrator Guy said (earlier) "I'm concerned about you Carolyn.  Your behaviour lately has been troubling, and not in the usual way." why didn't she point out that it was he who insisted she suck up to Matthew Modine in order to get a new wing, and that this was the price to be paid for said new wing?

• Love 3

What they suggested in the show is that he was being given a chance to redeem himself by helping to solve the murders of the missing girls, and that since the killer was still out there, it might save other girls who had not yet been abducted. If you accept the idea that people who have done terrible things are given a chance to redeem themselves before they wind up in hell, it's not that far fetched. If you don't believe in any of this, it's still no more far-fetched than any of the other "visited by loved one" stories, I don't think. This NDE was the first one we've seen for a person who might be considered evil, so his story being a little different doesn't phase me. I think they are trying to figure out variations on the "tunnel of loved ones" story, to keep the show from being too predictable. I do think the predictability could be a problem so I can't really blame them for mixing it up.

And, when Hospital Administrator Guy declares him fit for release (against the will of his surgeon) and he promptly dies, nobody has anything to say, not even said surgeon?  Except for Hospital Administrator Guy himself, whose comment is "I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  Personally, I think he got what he deserved."

I was bothered that this, too, but I think they were basically saying that because the guy was a "cop killer" he was being treated with reckless disregard by all parties, and we were being encouraged to decide for ourselves whether that was "what he deserved" or a sign the hospital admin was itself a bit on the evil side. I thought from the moment they brought the guy in, the staff was ambivalent about treating him, except for Cat, who kept insisting on the Hippocratic Oath. Most TV pretends doctors ignore the politics of their patients and treat them equally, but I'm not thinking it's all that unrealistic to think there are biases that impact care. This particular patient had no one to advocate for him, so his death by medical negligence is probably not going to cause any legal ripples. And we're probably supposed to think his work was finished (they found the real killer of the girls) so he died, but also wonder if it was because of the premature relocation or just that it was "meant to be." I really think the show was making another attempt to be ambiguous, to avoid alienating either the skeptics or the believers.

• Love 3

Wow, this episode really made me consider not watching this show anymore, there is no cohesive storyline for me here really.  I'm enjoying the story of the family fractured from the death of their son/brother, more than the is there life after death stuff.  

So the woman in the green scarf, is she the personification of death/heaven?  It makes me think of the show Dead Like Me, like maybe the green-scarfed woman is a grim reaper....DLM took place in the NE as well if i believe....crossover?

So Matthew Modine's character was able to get an expensive couture dress delivered promptly so she could change to crash his function?  Jeez...

Oh yes, we can't forget that by her ex-husband seeing her in the fancy dress it led him to believe she had moved on and is now dating openly, so he decides to do the same thing.

The guy who played the dead cop's partner was a horrible actor. His line readings were so awkward and wooden, I thought he was going to turn out to be the killer. It didn't help that he was required to deliver all sorts of important plot points in a clunky, rushed over way. I actually thought the murder story was interesting but I practically had whiplash at the end when the cop was all "Oh yeah and I used to work at a fast food restaurant too and I remembered those guys had keys like that and oh yeah, her manager was the last person who saw her alive so I went to talk to him and gee, I noticed he had a key like that, so I went and got a search warrant, and oh yeah we found dried blood. And yep it was the dead girl's and also the other dead girl's. So we arrested him and the case is all wrapped up now!" Phew. He certainly had a busy afternoon. On most procedurals that would be the entire last 15 minutes of the episode and he threw it out there in 30 seconds of clunky dialogue. 

He also went from being convinced the cop killer did it, to suddenly fingering the fast food manager (a character we never even heard about, much less ever even saw onscreen).  Did the writers miss the "show, don't tell" rule of writing?

• Love 2

I'm finding myself enjoying this show - it's kind of the 2015 Highway To Heaven/Touched By An Angel but with a twist.  And this being 2015, at the end of the episodes, it's "All is almost right with the world". 

I agree with most of the comments above, esp Jadzia's.  Every time the partner cop came on, I thought, "who owed who a favor to give this guy this part?'  One of the worst actors I've seen on a tv show in a long time!

And wasn't it Carolyn who had the notion of the dead girl being strangled with something like a retractable wire when she saw one of the hospital staff unlock a door using a key attached to such a device?  I was under the impression that she led the cop to look in that direction.

• Love 1

I DVR'd this show and just now was able to binge watch all four episodes. I was sure I would really enjoy it as I have been interested in the Near-Death-Experience and the whole concept of reincarnation since I was a child. Just a few minutes into the pilot, I was nearly compelled to turn it off and erase it all. Why? The terrible, flat, emotionless and vapid character that is Dr. Carolyn Tyler. The dialogue and her smug countenance is utterly rude and unlikeable. Why does she have to be written in this way? I made myself watch all of the episodes in the hopes that I would be able to overcome my dislike for the character to see where this storyline went.

Ugh. It didn't get better. Even her sex scene with her old friend had zero passion and the view of her bony back gyrating during the scene was just unwatchable. Nearly all of the other characters have some depth and personality and seem to be likeable in some way. Maybe J Beals is just a wooden actor. Or, should we blame it on the poor writing and direction she is given? I don't know.

Not sure I can watch any further.

Writers! Can you not give her some compassion and second-guessing? Must she always be so superior and reject any possible explanation before it is forced down her throat?

• Love 1
(edited)

That said, I think the daughter's jab at Carolyn about her driving and Will might be one of the cruelest things I've ever seen on television.

Yes, but I like the aftermath of the comments. Carolyn looked stricken but didn't start sobbing, which I might expect to see on network (or basic cable) TV.

And the daughter realized at once how awful her words were. It killed her drunken buzz, and she's the one who became a blubbering mess. "I'm sorry, mom. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry, mom." It was the first time I actually liked the daughter.

Jennifer Beals is settling into her character, and I like her more now. Joe Morton's littlie speeches are floating into 'Daddy Pope Works at a Hospital' territory, but I'll give him a few more episodes to calm down.

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

That said, I think the daughter's jab at Carolyn about her driving and Will might be one of the cruelest things I've ever seen on television.

I know girls in their mid-teens can be remarkably self-involved, but that was so awful my jaw dropped. Kiddo better learn to back off from that level of thoughtless blurting if she intends to be around anyone who doesn't already have a decade and a half invested in raising her, because that's the kind of utterly hateful comment that would immediately torpedo almost any other sort of relationship.