Type keyword(s) to search

Monty's Marathon Diary: Valley Of The Guest Stars

like I said before the previous recaps, Leif was HUGE for about a year like most teen idols. I think I was around 12 years old at the time but I do clearly remember being very attracted to Lief wich was probably one of my first inklings that I was actually into guys (Hell can you blame me? back then the guy was a young Norse god. Pity about his downfall.)

You could also see that they were clearly starting to run out of ideas for episodes in season 3.

Y'know, I actually imagined what it would've been like if they had Season 1 Diana met Agent Peggy Carter but my fragile mind went kaboom thinking about the awesomeness of it.

They actually had some villains along the way who could have made a decent TV Rogues Gallery for her (Ray Manta comes to mind), but they never brought any back except for the one time with Andros.

Leif Garrett reminds me of the way my mother described the late John Derek in his prime: prettier than most of his leading ladies.

Tina was played by the actress who played Cindy on the Facts of Life

Before seeing the photo, as I was reading this, I thought Tina was played by Linda Purl. She is the one I associate with "Like Normal People". Imagine my surprise when I saw it was Julie Anne Haddock from the Facts of Life. I don't remember her from "Like Normal People", perhaps because she was not constantly saying "Rajah" throughout the movie (and yes I know I am going to hell), but a quick check on IMDB confirms Miss Haddock's appearance in that classic TV movie.

To kick things off, we've got teen heartthrob (for about nine months in 1978 and 1979) Leif Garrett,

I imagine younger readers think you are joking around, but in fact that is a pretty accurate estimate of the length of Garrett's fame. As was once said about Michael Scott, "And just like that, as mysteriously as he arrived, he was gone".

Before seeing the photo, as I was reading this, I thought Tina was played by Linda Purl. She is the one I associate with "Like Normal People". Imagine my surprise when I saw it was Julie Anne Haddock from the Facts of Life. I don't remember her from "Like Normal People", perhaps because she was not constantly saying "Rajah" throughout the movie (and yes I know I am going to hell), but a quick check on IMDB confirms Miss Haddock's appearance in that classic TV movie.

You beat me to it! I never saw the movie but people said, "I love you, Rajah!" enough at that time that it's still stuck in my head. TFoL's Cindy going from tomboy to model seven later bewildered me.

Excellent!

And okay, I know it's dorky, but the episode "The Girl from Ilandia" affected me so much as a kid. I mean, I was really moved by it and still remember the ending. I am also one of the few who remember Cindy from "Facts of Life" (as well as Molly Ringwald's character) way back when. I also thought Julie Ann Haddock was really wonderful and three-dimensional in her performance as Tina. Or at least, that was my ten-year-old opinion (hee).

Even though "Wonder Woman" was pretty lame in its insistence to be campy when it really wasn't that kind of show at its heart, I thought the acting often managed to subvert the lameness and keep things occasionally funny, poignant and memorable. I still think of the show fondly.