Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Margaret Cho/Holly Robinson-Peete

(edited)

I turned this on late and am so confused.  Who are these people at Margaret Cho's house?  The dungeon thing and role play is bizarre. 

You've described Margaret Cho's house in a nutshell--confusing and bizarre. In her defense, everyone there seems happy. Here are the players: the little person is her best friend Selene, and the drag queen is her friend Moni, both of whom live there. Margaret’s parents and brother also visit occasionally, and for the purposes of this episode, they were at the house almost the entire week.

I would go crazy living in the messy and chaotic Cho house, but it also seems like a comfortable and non-judgmental haven. Margaret has created a safe space for friends and family who might not otherwise be accepted in society. But does anyone besides Margaret have a job, or is she content supporting these grown-ass people?

The Peetes are a nice family, but I agree with Margaret that their lives are overscheduled, and Ryan (the daughter) is left out because she doesn’t play sports. It’s interesting that they didn’t mention Rodney, Jr.’s autism. I wonder if that was at RJ’s request. Holly usually talks non-stop about her son’s autism and how functional he is. I liked his rap lyrics on the trampoline.

Edited by topanga
  • Love 5

Selene said they were all performers, and I assume they are paid performers.

RJ's autism is part of why they needed such structure. Holly has spoken about it before on The View, back when I watched it. He's older now and probably has much better coping skills, but it looked like it worked for their family. I also understand having separate offices when you live and work with your spouse.

If Margaret wants to live in clutter, so be it. The fridge and dirty dishes in the sink were just laziness, though. She wasn't nearly as abrasive as I was expecting based on her stand-up and the previews.

• Love 5

The line about one of the items in Margaret's fridge being from American Girl Craft services was funny, but can't have been true, since the show was about twenty years ago (and Craft Service food wouldn't be labeled as such).

• Love 1

The line about one of the items in Margaret's fridge being from American Girl Craft services was funny, but can't have been true, since the show was about twenty years ago (and Craft Service food wouldn't be labeled as such).

That must have been Holly joking around. She's actually pretty funny

• Love 1

I liked Holly and her family quite a bit, and found Margaret slightly less annoying than expected (but her disgusting house was not cool!). It reminded me of so many non-celebrity Wife Swaps, where you're supposed to think one family is too regimented and perfectionistic, but I always love them and don't think they should change a thing. Laila Ali was another one, although she was even stricter than the Peetes. I also thought Holly was a good sport about wine for breakfast and the silk kimono fashion show. It seemed like Moni was trying to be difficult and resistant, but eventually gave in because Holly was pretty nice about everything.

• Love 1

I actually thought Holly would be the annoying one since I saw her on The Apprentice but she was ok.  I liked Margaret.  I hated her home for the gross factor -maid to clean that stuff.  Keep your fun way but leaving that trash is gross. I liked all the families. Margaret's way worked for them.  At first I felt bad for Ryan.  When she was talking to Margaret and Rodney cut in with the "how to put cheese on tortillas" was wrong.  Didn't like him.  I'm glad they spend more time but why did it take this show.  I want to blame editing and they weren't like that.  I hope Ryan got so much more attention than we saw or knew.  If not, shame on your Holly and Rodney.  A child pushed aside because sports isn't her thing.  Again, I hope I am wrong.  That's my only complaint

• Love 1
(edited)

I actually thought Holly would be the annoying one since I saw her on The Apprentice but she was ok. I liked Margaret. I hated her home for the gross factor -maid to clean that stuff. Keep your fun way but leaving that trash is gross. I liked all the families. Margaret's way worked for them. At first I felt bad for Ryan. When she was talking to Margaret and Rodney cut in with the "how to put cheese on tortillas" was wrong. Didn't like him. I'm glad they spend more time but why did it take this show. I want to blame editing and they weren't like that. I hope Ryan got so much more attention than we saw or knew. If not, shame on your Holly and Rodney. A child pushed aside because sports isn't her thing. Again, I hope I am wrong. That's my only complaint

Agree on Holly and Margaret, they were both pretty likeable and laid back.

I get the narrative for Margaret was partly to bring some attention to the "forgotten" child, but I find it hard to believe her parents don't give her much attention because she prefers art and studying to sports. The kid looks to be about 17 and her parents are just now realizing she's been overlooked and ignored all these years? Unlikely, although with her father being a former pro athlete I can see how he would find it easier to bond with his sports-playing sons.

Edited by JasminePhyllisia
  • Love 1
(edited)

Selene said they were all performers, and I assume they are paid performers.

RJ's autism is part of why they needed such structure. Holly has spoken about it before on The View, back when I watched it. He's older now and probably has much better coping skills, but it looked like it worked for their family. I also understand having separate offices when you live and work with your spouse.

If Margaret wants to live in clutter, so be it. The fridge and dirty dishes in the sink were just laziness, though. She wasn't nearly as abrasive as I was expecting based on her stand-up and the previews.

Selene Luna (who is involved/ associated with  the LGBT community)  is some type of comedian I believe. I saw her on a YouTube show called "Couples for Cash" (on the World of Wonder channel) way before this episode. She made no mention of Margaret Cho. In fact, it seemed like she lived with her boyfriend so I'm not so sure she really is Cho's assistant or lives there.

The other live-in Moni (?) Monet (?) probably works as a drag performer and is damn lucky to have Cho helping him out. I love the drag scene, but unless you reach top tier levels- it's very hard to live on what you make. The money you put into makeup and costuming is often about equal to your earnings. Luckily this is slowly getting to be a more lucrative art form, but a lot of these men are barely scraping by.

Edited by Granimal