Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E11: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Emilia Clarke, Jake Gyllenhaal, Cara Delevingne, Tinie Tempah

• Start Topic

(edited)

I noticed there was no topic for this.  Seems like Schwarzenegger on a talk show is a big enough deal for us to need one just for initial chit-chat about it, even if most of us won't see the episode till next week.

And Cara Delevingne seems to kiss (or at least rub up against and almost kiss) every hot startlet out there, so maybe she'll plant one on Emilia Clarke.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Schwarzenegger was as I expected: a big piece of wood. Other than the cabbage/garbage story, he was just a couch filler.

Emilia Clarke was a bore, although I did like her reaction near the end when Graham skipped over her name then referenced the sensible shoes.

Now, Jake Gyllenhaal? I could have taken more of him. Funny, interesting, and smart. I also liked the model. I'd never heard of her or seen her (that I know of), but I thought she was pretty funny and seemed rather quick and witty.

I also liked Tinie Tempah's song, esp the part sung by the woman.

Yesterday I went to the movies, and among the previews were Gyllenhaal's new film and the Terminator one. Both looked pretty good. The little girl in Jake's movie seems to give a great performance. 

I worry about Jake. He's done a lot of roles where he's had to transform his body in short order. (Jarhead: buff; Nightcrawler: scrawny, this new one: big.)That can't be good for you. His Ahnold impression was the funniest, I thought.

I'm not sure why modeling companies go nuts for the big brow look. It doesn't do anything for me, but it's reliable on the catwalks and mag covers.

Emilia Clarke (I love your shoes: do NOT let them give you shit about them!) made me laugh when she wrote off the wholesale sacking of her castmates with needing to get them wrap gifts. Such an actor.

• Love 2
(edited)
I'm not sure why modeling companies go nuts for the big brow look. It doesn't do anything for me, but it's reliable on the catwalks and mag covers.

I guess it anchors the face and also draws the viewer in? I don't have the right features for a strong brow—I just look angry/scowly. Heh.

Schwarzenegger was as I expected: a big piece of wood. Other than the cabbage/garbage story, he was just a couch filler.

He really was, though I appreciate that he didn't hog the spotlight. Graham did an excellent job keeping things balanced. That doesn't always happen when there's a really big star on the couch.

Tinie Tempah is adorable. I always enjoy his visits and his performances.

Edited by dubbel zout
Tinie Tempah is adorable. I always enjoy his visits and his performances.

I agree. Does he chart over here? (I am an old; I know naught of kids these days and their rackets.)

• Love 1

I agree. Does he chart over here? (I am an old; I know naught of kids these days and their rackets.)

Tinie Tempah has done collaborations and made some attempts at charting in the USA, and his most successful solo attempt was in 2010 "Written in the Stars". It reached number 12, but nothing really since then. He consistently makes top chart numbers in the UK though so maybe he's happy where he is right now.

I always like his appearances as well. He's hosted a couple of other things and definitely has a charisma, but there is a humbleness to him as well.

Emilia Clarke (I love your shoes: do NOT let them give you shit about them!) 

I can't tell if you're joking, but you know Graham wasn't talking about Emilia's shoes, rather about the Clarks brand shoes, known for their sensibleness. I have a pair of Clarks flip flops which are sooooo comfortable AND cute too.

• Love 2

Clarke for Clark's!

They've gotten a LOT better with their styles. They still aren't fashion-forward by any means, but the shoes used to be the most hideous things on the planet. They were actively ugly.

• Love 1

I liked this one okay, but was annoyed that Cara (the model) wouldn't freaking SCOOT OVER, so that four people had to crowd together on half the couch for the first half. She seemed to actually resist scooting over even as the rest came out. Then finally, it looked like Gyllenhaal nicely but firmly nudged her over around 15-20 minutes in (when they were all smushed way too close together to even talk properly) and everyone got to space out. 

I think Arnold can actually be surprisingly funny, even if all I think about when I see him is Emma Thompson's response to Graham's "Can he actually act?" (Emma: "Oh, God, no.") I don't think he's quick, exactly, but he's not  stupid guy. I did think the "Pumping Iron" video clip went on for too long.

I wished Emilia had talked a bit more, because as she loosened up, we did get to see that funny, geeky side of her toward the end, and that's always so much fun. Tempeh seemed nice, and I thought it was sweet the way he and Graham gave the backup girl who was suddenly subbing in on his song all that attention -- she did a nice job, even if I didn't much care for the song.

I think Arnold can actually be surprisingly funny, even if all I think about when I see him is Emma Thompson's response to Graham's "Can he actually act?" (Emma: "Oh, God, no.") I don't think he's quick, exactly, but he's not  stupid guy.

Arnold's accent does the heavy lifting for him.

All I could think of whenever Emilia Clarke was shown was the thought of her drunkenly propositioning Channing Tatum and his wife for a threesome since I just heard him tell the story earlier that day.  Overall this was a decent episode.  Arnold seemed more reserved than usual, he can be very funny and charming but maybe he mellowed in his later years or was just nervous and wanted to let the others have more time.