Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Girl Meets Rules

(edited)

Ava?

No. Just no.

The way they've been writing Auggie so far this season gave me (apparently false) hopes that Ava and any idiotic stories surrounding her were gone from the show for good.

Arrrgh! And this season (and Auggie) were going SO well...

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

I'm sure Topanga will give Ava the fun ride out the door at the end of the show and all will be back to normal. Kind of a tame version of Uncle Phil throwing out Jazz on Fresh Prince

• Love 3

I'm sure Topanga will give Ava the fun ride out the door at the end of the show and all will be back to normal. Kind of a tame version of Uncle Phil throwing out Jazz on Fresh Prince

That doesn't make the parts where Ava WILL appear any better, necessarily. Also even if true it shows a skewed sense of priorities that they think Ava had to be preserved on the show. Elsewhere we've seen at least some signs they may have reacted to early viewer feedback on the show, but either that a.) stopped happening, b.) the opposition to Ava on this forum is atypical (and maybe people on Twitter--what they probably react to most--love the character c.) the time when the currently airing shows were produced hasn't caught up to the time when the previous Ava appearances happened and the character was derided by us (and hopefully other people online). I mean if you think about it, we were probably calling Auggie too baby-like even before Ava appeared, and really that's the gist of what we've seen fixed with him

Maybe the Ava actress is related to someone important, and they have no choice...

That's kind of what I was thinking too.

Mr. Google says her name is Ava Kolker (like with Auggie, they didn't even bother to change her first name between the actor and role).

The IMDB bio for her says: 

As a California native, Ava Kolker has been acting one way or another from the time she could walk and talk. Ava's first screen role came on the FX television show "American Horror Story" at the tender age of four. Since then, Ava has worked on 7 different movies, two of which are lead roles, 5 commercials, multiple television shows, including seven episodes of the much anticipated Disney television series, "Girl Meets World" that starts airing June 2014.

Ava's career has been very diverse in the types of roles she has been able to deliver successfully. She has also worked on a series of promo spots for Chelsea Lately acting with Chelsea Handler herself. Ava has also bantered with Jimmy Kimmel on Jimmy Kimmel Live as well.

Her movie career started when she was cast out of hundreds of children at 5 years old to play a supporting lead as Kate Beckinsale's unhappy daughter, Augie in the drama "Trials of Cate McCall".

Ava's first comedy role came when she worked on "Scary Movie 5" as Lily, which spoofs the horror flick "Mama". Ava continues to grow as an actress without losing the natural spark of a child who loves her life and her family as well as her art.

- IMDb Mini Biography By: Gary Castro Churchwell, manager

The part about the Kate Beckinsale movie suggests her career started with winning an open casting (which would argue against connections), but it's not worded so precisely that's a given ("cast out of hundreds of children" could mean a few things).  

It's kind of hard to check for sure, since the names might not always be the same, but it is worth noting the name "Kolker" isn't really that common in IMDB. There's enough in there though that there could be some connections, sure.

And, honestly, I don't think the little actress is bad at all.  It's more in some of the writing.  (Although I do think that some of her interactions with Topanga aren't that obnoxious).  So it's not like if they realized that the character is annoying people that the only option is putting the actress out of work.  I have a feeling that, if they wrote her better, the character would be better. 

• Love 2

If she were related to someone big, it would probably be in her IMDB bio. I don't think anyone is forcing the writers to keep Ava on the show. I think the writers legitimately think she is a funny character.

I think the only time I liked Ava was that one scene were she told Topanga she wouldn't mind if Topanga gave her a kiss sometimes or was it a hug? IDK, but it was sweet and pretty much explained Ava's character very succinctly. She's not used to being emotionally loved. I don't mind the actress. Just think the character is usually terrible.

• Love 3

I don't mind this ep so far XD. Class in trouble... :P

Go Cory! Best punishment ever! Adult Cory ftw.

Lmao @ the Lord of the Flies references. This is too funny. Not funny in real life, but man GMW nails it.

OMG. I'm actually laughing at Ava. Even she's gotten better. Well color me shocked.

Yea. This season is SO good. Nothing like teaching kids that there are consequences for their actions!

And for the most part, Ava was tolerable.

• Love 1

Ranger Rick was back, but I did not see his friend that moved from Texas. Are they not allowed to share screen time?

I'm guessing it has more to do with budgetary constraints.  They can't afford to pay everyone all the time.  So the side characters will appear and disappear as motivated by plotlines.

S2 has been much better.  Dialing up the absurdity actually works well for this show and makes it easier to forgive the glaring problems from S1.  I forgive everything but Ava.  There is no reason for Ava to exist.  I also only understand about half the words that come out to the actresses mouth.

• Love 4

I think Ava shows promise. She just needs to tone down the shoutiness and I think she'll be more bearable.

As for the main lesson, I thought they did the Lord of the Flies allegory really well. I think Riley Town looked like hell on earth, though. 

• Love 5

I think Ava shows promise. She just needs to tone down the shoutiness and I think she'll be more bearable.

As for the main lesson, I thought they did the Lord of the Flies allegory really well. I think Riley Town looked like hell on earth, though. 

Exactly. That was the main issue I had with her tbh.

Definitely. Considering. Yea, doing that all the time would get pretty bad.

Clearly what the writers felt Ava needed (and to their credit they were at least 50% right) was a strong reminder that Ava is, in fact, a child and not either a joke machine or foil for Topanga, an actual adult.

I didn't like that they felt they had to reestablish at the end that Ava has to be bossy and selfish, because it comes off even more like a cheap cliché at that point. Hopefully they just thought they needed it as a bookend to the other end of the episode and they'll just retire those aspects of her going forward.  I mean ALL children are somewhat selfish in some ways, but the show just needs to chalk it up to Ava finally being old enough to learn better.

I got the hint last season that Ava's home situation was not that great or something. So, Ava being annoying might be due to the fact she does not get that much discipline at home.

All I know is that they are pushing this whole Ava and Auggie thing a little too much. You can give them problems to deal with but make it a child problem instead of this grown up stuff. 

Maya and Riley's relationship and Maya and Cory's relationship was really the best part in that school situation.

Also, I agree with the others Riley town looked like hell on earth. Yikes!

• Love 1
(edited)

See, I just fast-forwarded over the Ava stuff, and voila! Enjoyable episode. The absurdity is really working for this show, and it's really starting to feel less like a generic Disney sitcom.

The use of Harley was great, and I liked we got to know more about the classmates who never talk. (Of course the trade-off was not having Zay, but eh.) Great references to Lord of the Flies and the Breakfast Club.

Edited by methodwriter85
(edited)

See, I just fast-forwarded over the Ava stuff, and voila! Enjoyable episode. The absurdity is really working for this show, and it's really starting to feel less like a generic Disney sitcom.

Actually I'd say absurdity is a hallmark of a lot of Disney shows.  The difference is that it usually feels cheap and unearned.  Have a show about a family of Wizards or a Teenaged Spy or a Pop Star leading a ridiculous double life? Disney whips out the absurd and it just feels like the WHOLE show is absurd. And honestly, that's not usually a good thing.

GMW played it safe it's first season, maybe a bit scared of that. Which perhaps was a mistake, because the show isn't an absurd concept, so whipping out the absurdity every once in a while plays differently than it does on a show with magic as an excuse, or a ridiculous life situation that's totally unrealistic for a teenager. If the basic setup is grounded though (even if in a super-unrealistic version of Manhattan and an unrealistic school), then the absurdity is more about Riley and her state of mind. We KNOW she's a weirdo.  Seeing it expressed on screen via reality breaks works because the show returns to being grounded (as much as any show on Disney can) afterwards.  It's a bit like seeing inside her head... so it works as long as the show doesn't overdo it.  So Tater Tot puppets, Sorority pledges that happen in 10 seconds flat, etc. all help rather than hurt.  And it's extensible to the show as a whole to SOME degree, with some caution, I hope, so you can have stuff like Maya and the "bad kids" go Lord Of The Flies in 30 seconds flat, while Riley sits there imaging the classroom clock progressing at a glacial pace.

Honestly, they need to keep it right about where we're seeing the needle on this now.  Going further will turn it into a gimmick, but going back will remove the cleverness the show managed to discover this season.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Pretty positive Ava and Auggie will be the Corpanga of the show.

May God save all of us.

On the plus side, they may at least be able to keep the story straight that way.

When Cory locked them in, my first thought was "He can't do that! It's against the Geneva Detention Convention!"

• Love 2