Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Michelle & Yama

(edited)

22-year-old Yama keeps shopping and hoarding to preserve the memory of her deceased mother. Michelle's obsession with shopping is putting her home in such a catastrophic condition that she faces losing her little boys to child protective services.

Edited by auntieminem

OK that is now 4 families from Ohio on so far.  Go Bucks!  ;)  I am afraid they come for me next.  

I am glad Matt got the family with the little kids because he was really pushing them.  Boy did they look familiar to me.  It just said Ohio and no city, looked my city, Columbus.  Maybe they just have those faces that look familiar to everyone.  I am sure they did not want CPS to know what city they were in.  

Yama was much easier than most hoarders.  So she gets her hoard cleaned out and then she is pregnant.  Umm, maybe I will do a whole house clear out if it would get me some action.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Typical hoarder family--one parent hoards up the house into a toxic waste dump, while the other passive partner just stands by and allows their children to live in filth. I don't understand the lack of backbone in these people.  I'm a wimp myself, and not really into conflict, but once the house started getting filled with mold and feces, I think it would stir me to make a stand. I really felt for the eldest son--as they mentioned, kids with his condition, which is basically a form of sensory overload, really need a neat, structured environment. I'm hoping that the couples counseling helps. I kind of wonder about the neighbor though--was she just hinting that she was going to call CPS, or did they just assume that she might, now that she had a grudge against them?

Not sure about Yama.  I do think that she is young enough that she can change her ways, but I feel that even if she does, she'll be in real danger of falling back into hoarding.  She just didn't seem all that in to the clean up to me.  I can see her shopping getting out of control as she starts getting stuff for the baby.

Nothing against Ohio, but it would be nice to see another state once in a while.

Edited by Yokosmom
  • Love 2

This was a good episode - felt like old times!

That family..good grief. Honestly, I hope neighbors keep a close eye on them and DO call CPS if things get out of hand again. Even at the end they just didn't seem all that clued in.

Yama - bless her heart. She inherited a lot of that hoard and I hope that this was the turning point for her. She just seemed very disconnected a lot of the time, so I wonder if her shopping addiction will return, resulting in another hoard. I hope not.

I guffawed when that blond woman at the end of the episode said "the house was contaminated, and now it's not!"  I really beg to differ.  Unless you replaced all the flooring and drywall, and get rid of everything that was in there (anathema to a hoarder,) it's still contaminated, there are still mycotoxins, dog/cat/rat excretions, roach dust...they don't go away by just spot cleaning.   People who have allergies and other health conditions that make them vulnerable to those particles could never live in these homes.  All that horrible carpeting, plush furniture and curtains in that house at the end was revolting!

It is disturbing seeing those two young kids living in that mess, told to dissociate from all the trash and just stare at the tv.  No wonder one of them has developmental delays.  These are young kids too, so apparently they sat down and decided to have these children in a hoard.  There should be a social worker checking in on them regularly, and yes, deciding if that really is a healthy environment for the children.  What selfish idiots.  

• Love 2

I go up and down the weight scale quite drastically, so I have a lot of clothes in about ten different sizes.  But wow, Yama had 30,000 articles of clothing!?  My mind boggles.

It's so good to see the old gang back together.  I very much like Dr. Suzahhhhhn's new, more modern, hairstyle, and I also liked seeing her get impatient with the passive husband when he started freaking out at the cameras.

• Love 1

No shit her husband is afraid of her! The whole time I was yelling at the TV for him to just start throwing shit away!!!!!!

What a punk POS he is to allow his kids to live in that hoard.

• Love 2
I am glad Matt got the family with the little kids because he was really pushing them.  Boy did they look familiar to me.  It just said Ohio and no city, looked my city, Columbus.  Maybe they just have those faces that look familiar to everyone.  I am sure they did not want CPS to know what city they were in.

They looked familiar to me too, and i live in Pennsylvania.  Maybe they have "those faces" or maybe they've been on some other show?  How very odd.  At least now I know I wasn't the only one who "recognized" them from somewhere.

It's been a while since I've watched any of these Hoarder shows, and I am currently taking a short lunch break from giving my house the best cleaning it has had for a while.  I had forgotten how motivating these shows are!

I had forgotten how motivating these shows are!

Amen! Tidied up the kitchen and hit one bathroom in between commercials.  :-/   Heading upstairs to "that room" next! ha!

I was pleased that both homes/families seemed to get some of the work done themselves. That's always a good sign. I would hope they can keep things at least at bay for a while. Do we ever get long-term updates? I'm not a regular viewer.  Yama's life priorities seem a little skewed, but given her experiences, maybe understandable.  Michelle's, too, when I heard her son had a sensory disorder.  Guess that's all part and parcel of why they are on this show to begin with. Sigh.

(edited)

Michelle has definitely been on some kind of reality show before, I'm sure of it. It's going to drive me crazy until I figure it out.

Some old episode of Wife Swap, maybe?

Edited by TaraS1

I am glad Matt got the family with the little kids because he was really pushing them.

I am glad, too - but didn't Matt say at one point that he didn't want to work the hoards of the families with kids?

i am trying to understand why so much stuff is thrown away because it's "contaminated" and all it needs is to be run through a dishwasher, washing machine, or hosed down with bleach.

Reminds me of some "independent adjusters" who showed up at my home after a fire. Uninvited. They are like ambulance chasers. They declare everything in the place to be a total loss so your insurance company will write you an enormous check and they get a percentage. My personal possessions had smoke and water damage, period, and they came in and announced all my dishes were "a total loss." They just needed to be washed, that's all. It was the craziest thing. I asked them to leave. No way I was going to throw away my grandmother's China!

i am trying to understand why so much stuff is thrown away because it's "contaminated" and all it needs is to be run through a dishwasher, washing machine, or hosed down with bleach.

I think the difference is that the things we're seeing on Hoarders are contaminated with animal/rodent/human waste. That's a heck of a lot more difficult to "decontaminate" than smoke damage.

These hoarders have already shown they are completely unable to deal with normal housecleaning, cleaning saved box of shit smeared kitchenware is far beyond thier abilities and it will continue to remain a saved box of shit smeared kitchenware forever as the bottom layer of their next hoard lasagne. That's why Matt and many of the other cleaners and doctors insist anything covered in feces/urine has to go, unless it is cleaned by the Hoarders crew any contaminated food or child related items simply cannot be trusted to be decontaminated by the hoarder.

• Love 2

That and they need to get the message across to the hoarder that stuff covered in urine, feces etc is contaminated. And throwing it away drives the point home. I've seen ones where they say it can be cleaned. No. It can't.