Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: While Mom's Away...

Brenda and Toby's romantic dinner is interrupted by Jaeger. Later, Jess and Jair go to New York with their mother to shoot a music video and meet with a record executive, while Toby stays at home with the other 10 kids.

I liked how when Brenda left to go with the two older "children" to New York, her husband stayed home. They didn't leave an older child in charge to take care of the household and the rest of the children (something another family has always done!).  I also liked how the children seemed to have appropriate instruction and age appropriate "school" work.  The family seems real in their interaction with each other and honest reactions to the situations that they are finding themselves in.

• Love 6
(edited)

Has no one in the family heard of parkour/freerunning? Jedi may very well have started doing it spontaneously, but you know? Look up a YouTube video or watch a commercial or something.

It was interesting to hear Jessica say that she and Jair have become close over the past year. I assume siblings in large families have a lot of push/pull and mesh better with some people than others, but it struck me since they're the two oldest and I would have assumed their bond was tight to start with.

Oh, Jaeger. He is more than a handful but I just want to eat him up.

The four middle girls are getting the Jan Brady edit, lost in the crowd.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 4

The kids are very well spoken, even the little ones, and obviously are getting a good foundation in English.  That's nice to see. Now, how are those math & science scores coming?  *LOL*

There did seem to be an awful lot of laundry piled up, (over 7 loads) but that could have been for show.  Then again, laundry for 14 people sounds pretty damn frightening, so I guess 1/2 a load per person isn't too bad!  I hope the boys are learning how to do it as well as the girls.  We've seen the boys take on some of the cooking, so that's encouraging.

I hope their new album is successful.  They have a very nice sound, and if it includes some of the Gaelic sounds we've been hearing, I might be interested in downloading it. 

• Love 2
I liked how when Brenda left to go with the two older "children" to New York, her husband stayed home. They didn't leave an older child in charge to take care of the household and the rest of the children (something another family has always done!).

Same! Also, when they were all on the road together, it was clear mom and dad don't ALWAYS pass off caretaking to the older sibs. When Brenda and Toby were at dinner and Jaegar escaped, the parents expressed how the older kids weren't entirely used to having to care for all the little ones on their own. So it's not like they each have a "buddy" attached to their hip.

• Love 5

I like this family.  Perhaps I may be a bit biased towards them; Toby's siblings deaths were a huge story here in the Chicago area for years.  It lead to many people going to jail, including our governor.  You can google "Licenses for Bribes" scandal.  Anyway,this show puts me in a good mood, so they are doing something right.  They are so talented and normal, imo.  Yes, they follow the Bible, however, are realistic in their expectations of their children living in todays world.  I got such a kick with the brother doing the spider man thing, whatever one may call that.

• Love 5

Thadeeeyus - YES!  The counter!!  When I saw the little girl on the counter - I hate to say it but I thought, "Oh,NO!"  Then the older boy pulled her down and said something like, "Mom doesn't allow you to climb up there."   Yay!!

• Love 4

Has no one in the family heard of parkour/freerunning? Jedi may very well have started doing it spontaneously, but you know? Look up a YouTube video or watch a commercial or something.

It was interesting to hear Jessica say that she and Jair have become close over the past year. I assume siblings in large families have a lot of push/pull and mesh better with some people than others, but it struck me since they're the two oldest and I would have assumed their bond was tight to start with.

Since Jair has always danced with Jenny, I've gotten the vibe that they were always the closest. Jessica seems like she has a very bright, happy personality; though I think Jenny has a made for TV face like a news anchor, she likely clashed with Jair's moodiness a lot. As a child she probably saw him as annoying or over-dramatic, as an adult she is probably able to cope with it a lot more and understands his mood swings better.