Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Derek Hough vs. Julianne Hough

(edited)

Not bad, certainly not the worst performance-wise.  My problem was not caring about the performers before their performance.  I did enjoy the song selection, particularly Lonely Island's I Just Had Sex.  However, bringing in Megan to lip sync her own song in the no-gimmicks-first-round was weak.  That would have been a better option for the second round.  Her brother had no problem bringing out the silly in round 2.

Looking forward to next week, Salt vs. Pepa.  If this one does well, then it could open the door for other music groups to battle. 

Edited to Add: I just rewatched the final round.  Derek had a strong performance, while Julianne may have scarred him for life.  Derek's reactions to his sister's performance were priceless.  Much better on rewatch. 

Edited by phane00
  • Love 1

I'm glad they put these two together so that I could fast forward through almost of all of it. I think they're both insufferable egomaniac famewhores, and I was genuinely bummed to see they were wasting an episode on them. The little bit of the episode I could stomach did nothing to change my mind.

• Love 1

My least favorite episode of the bunch.

Oh I think Terry and Mike (Mike really brought the whole ep down) and Hota and Michael were worse.

I expected more dancing, honestly. 

Julianne should have perhaps switched her songs around since "I just had sex" could have been done with no frills whereas Megan is a frill. 

I think Derek sold his horror over Julianne's moves in a very funny way but I don't believe he was legit horrified.  They've both been around the dance world for a long time. Not only have they likely seen each other be sexy with partners, it's not even unheard of for brothers and sisters to dance together suggestively in ballroom. 

I don't think it was the dancing or gestures but the song itself and the lyrics. I don't know, maybe he was just that good of an actor but I think he was genuinely freaked out. His sister was singing about "a woman let me put my penis inside her..." Nah, I think he was genuinely freaked out.

(edited)

Did anyone else get the sense that this is actually an episode they filmed earlier than the other that have aired?  There was just something that felt a bit different about it to me...

Chrissy was way toned down, tolerable even, and made a few actually funny cracks.  It seemed like everything was relaxed.  LL did a slightly longer sign off.  It just felt like this may have been one of the first few they actually filmed.

While the Houghs are not my favorite people (really I wish Julianne would stick to dancing, because she is a stunning dancer) I kind of love that she did a Lonley Island song.

Edited by gik910

Did anyone else get the sense that this is actually an episode they filmed earlier than the other that have aired?  There was just something that felt a bit different about it to me...

The original production number had it at episode 9, so it was probably one of the later episodes. (I changed the number when I set up the thread to reflect the broadcast order.)

The original production number had it at episode 9, so it was probably one of the later episodes.

According to the episode numbers on Comcast,  this was actually the first episode. That's no guarantee everything in it was shot first, but ITA that it felt like they were just starting out. The 9 probably refers to the order in which it was slated to appear, so it aired a week early.

• Love 1

I am in the minority but I think this was my favorite. I don't know or have any attachment to either Hough, I've never watched dancing with the stars, I almost skipped this episode altogether, but Sunday was a slow TV day so I watched it. For one thing I love "chandelier" but for the frill song I don't really think Derek brought much, especially considering he is a dancer, I though he would wear maybe a more similar costume to the video (as much as I don't want to see him in a nude leotard, there are closer options than a white t shirt) and maybe mimic more of the dance from the video, even the back up dancers were doing it.

Julianna was hilarious though, but I have a inappropriate sense of humor and live the irony of her singing that song.

• Love 1