Type keyword(s) to search

Anticipation: Beyond Borders

I wonder who they are going to get to replace Anna Gunn? I hated her hair in the backdoor pilot but thought she did fine otherwise. So hard to judge these cookie cutter procedurals.  I have to say, it's hard to get excited about Gary Sinise playing Mac Taylor again, effectively.  Then again, he was good at that.

Well, if the show can do geography and different cultures right, this could be a very compelling, "exotic" show that provides something different within the crime procedural genre. If it descends into lazy stereotypes and "America in all but name only", then I don't know how interested I am in this.

Of course, I also think this show could have been done when CM did their first spin-off- the Emily Prentiss spy arc featured a team of international profilers, like this one- so I guess better late than never.

I'm disappointed.  I like the cast, particularly Gary Sinise and the beautiful Alana de la Garza.  I was looking forward to seeing if they were going to add Ryan Garrett to the team.  I liked seeing the locales, even if everything the actors were in was a set.  I liked the brief nuggets of info about the culture.

Not sure what this show could have done better.  More crossover with the parent show?  Not sure how all these CSI and NCIS and Law and Order and Chicago spinoffs manage to easily survive and thrive and yet this one failed badly.  They hyped the appearance of Paget Brewster on the episode set in Taiwan and she basically had a glorified cameo.

Too bad, I will miss this show.

• Love 1
(edited)

It seems kind of inevitable - in our global world, this show's insular and superior view of Awesome Safe America vs The Dangerous Rest Of The Planet, as stated in the opening voiceover, was never going to lead to massive overseas sales.

And then there was the fact that they never really left California, so the rest of the big wide exciting world was played by a local dusty backlot. Boring.

And, since this is my last time complaining about it ever - the set designers had cacti growing in the street when they tried to make the dusty backlot into Pamplona. Because they clearly thought the whole of Spain actually looks like Mexico (and it wasn't even a good version of Mexico). Which is just plain lazy. Like, just look at an actual photo! And the same laziness and lack of care appeared in every other episode. 

It could have been good, but it wasn't. The end.

Edited by Lebanna